(Topic ID: 223676)

Why do people sell games shortly after buying them?

By Blindseer

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do people sell their games shortly after receiving them?”

• Money issues 14 votes
      7%
    • Profit 26 votes
      13%
    • dislike for game 98 votes
      50%
    • bad idea to own a machine 7 votes
      4%
    • other 50 votes
      26%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

19bwonmnipr4fjpg (resized).jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Hello,

I have been into collecting for a few years but I have noticed a trend where people sell games immediately after getting them and I want to know why?

If the excuse was because they didn't like them after they got it then shouldn't people go play the game before purchasing? Could it be because they think they could flip it? Was it regret?

I'm curious to know what you guys think!

#2 5 years ago

Addiction

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

If the excuse was because they didn't like them after they got it then shouldn't people go play the game before purchasing?

Some people want to be "first".

#5 5 years ago

Some people just have "issues"

#6 5 years ago

Chasing the next new thing to fill that empty black void in the middle of their soul, hoping that, this time, it will be satisfied.

Or they didn’t play it before buying and discovered it wasn’t good.

Either works.

#7 5 years ago

People jump on the hype train and reality rarely lives up to expectations.

#8 5 years ago

Paging waspinat0r

#9 5 years ago

Are you talking about new games? I think that is what most others have shared: first to have the newest. For used machines: I've done it and am picky about what games I want to buy as its a huge PITA to get games in and out of my house. Sometimes you love a machine and played it a bunch of times but at home you play all you want out of it and it gets boring really quick.

#10 5 years ago

They are easily distracted by the next...oh look!!! SQUIRREL!!!!!!

#11 5 years ago

I bought a Game of Thrones recently. Within a week I decided I was going to sell it. I'd played the game tons of times at tournaments, etc and loved it, but once I had it at home and could play it as much as I liked I realized it was very repetitive. In tournaments I didn't notice that because I had to worry about surviving, but at home you can just play again if you fail.

But to your "why didn't they play it first?" comment: why would you? Worst case scenario you can sell it again and maybe lose a few hundred dollars. I know a lot of people who buy all their games without ever playing them, just based on looks. Some stay a long time, some leave instantly. Playing it elsewhere isn't comparable to playing it in your own home, why worry about it?

#12 5 years ago

I can only speak for myself, but playing a game (especially a new one) before buying is very difficult. I don't have location pinball nearby. There are only two locations about an hour away and only one has newer games. There is a great show in Louisville each year and that is where I usually play the new stuff...but it is only once a year. With work and kids, even finding a few hours to go nearby is hard to do. With the older games, at least I can play it in a virtual environment (VPX) and get a "feel" for the game. I've only bought one before playing and I did sell after about 6 weeks. So, I won't be doing that again. Folks in pinball heavy environments have no idea how great they have it. For the vast majority of us, it is just not around. It makes you realize how small this hobby really is.

#13 5 years ago

The best is when they list them for only $100 less than NIB delivered to your door.

#14 5 years ago

You should play a game first before buying it but for some people that's not an option. Because they hold their value fairly well people will take a flyer on liking a game and if they don't sell it and move on to the next game. Rinse and repeat until you are out of money or happy with your collection.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

But to your "why didn't they play it first?" comment: why would you? Worst case scenario you can sell it again and maybe lose a few hundred dollars. I know a lot of people who buy all their games without ever playing them, just based on looks. Some stay a long time, some leave instantly. Playing it elsewhere isn't comparable to playing it in your own home, why worry about it?

I'm with you on that. Buying a game I've never or hardly played is way more fun than buying one I've already beat into the ground.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm with you on that. Buying a game I've never or hardly played is way more fun than buying one I've already beat into the ground.

Yeah, even better! As soon as I've decided I want to buy a game (since it looks like it could be good) I specifically avoid playing it until I can get one of my own

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

People jump on the hype train and reality rarely lives up to expectations.

Unless you bought a TNA. Def lives up

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Best sound I've heard on a pin, but if I played it over and over at home I'd loose my mind. Shots are so damn repetetive.

#19 5 years ago

Poll response: All of the above.

Why do people do anything they do? We're all human - for better and for worse.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

But to your "why didn't they play it first?" comment: why would you? Worst case scenario you can sell it again and maybe lose a few hundred dollars.

Why do you want to lose money? When I buy its only after playing it for a few hours in real life, Pinball Arcade if possible, and researching issues and availability of parts. I avoid new games because they haven't stood the test of time.

a couple hundred dollars adds up to a color dmd

#21 5 years ago

The chase and acquisition seems to be very addictive to some people. More pleasure from that than ownership or playing the game.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people like to buy junkers and fix them. Other people like to compete at high levels. We all get out of this what we want, so I don't judge, or try not to.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Lot's of those coming up on the market recently though.

I think any pin at home will get repetitive very quickly in a small collection, and I agree with buying without playing: no big deal (unless perhaps NIB)

I'm more or less on the 6 month plan. After that, the game(s) become an afterthought or also ran.

Only exception so far for me is F14, which is funny as it isn't deep or particularly complicated, just fast and fun!

#23 5 years ago

I like the ones that buy a game, and sell it in 2 weeks with $500 in mods...for the low low price of $700 over NIB delivered price.

#24 5 years ago

On pinside? Well how long could it actually take to glue all the mods on. I mean... What the hell you gonna do with a game after that?!?

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

Why do you want to lose money? When I buy its only after playing it for a few hours in real life, Pinball Arcade if possible, and researching issues and availability of parts. I avoid new games because they haven't stood the test of time.
    a couple hundred dollars adds up to a color dmd

Honestly I feel like you should be prepared to lose a few hundred on any fully working game you buy. It could break and not be worth fixing, it could just go down in value, etc. Or maybe it goes up in value and you luck out. Who knows, hopefully it balances out at worst. Plus you got to own and play the game! Some value loss is normal, you got your 'plays' out of it. If it's a NIB, then you also got the great box opening, new game smell experience. There's probably a few hundred dollars in wiggle room on many transactions. Or a few hundred dollars in rebuild parts I'm going to put into a game.

Learning the game is part of the experience to me. If you've already spent a lot of time on the game before buying, that's lost time and coin drop on a (probably) sub par game/experience. Plus time out of my day I spend playing the game. It's just way too much to think+worry about

I've owned 60+ games and only maybe 10-15 I'd ever played before purchasing them. Most of those turned out not to be keepers. The games that seem the funnest the first few plays I gave them rarely had staying power. Sometimes I played a game elsewhere and didn't like it much at all, but then picked one up cheap on a whim and loved it.

#26 5 years ago

Just like women, you get drunk, take em home for some fun and realize how noisy and expensive they are and they got to go...

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Honestly I feel like you should be prepared to lose a few hundred on any fully working game you buy.

I always take $500 off the asking price on top of negotiations. What I was referencing was buying a game and selling at a loss of a few hundred dollars and being ok with that which is different then account for cost of fixing issues.

Im not looking to buy a game brand new and being ok with losing a few hundred dollars because I didnt do my diligence before I bought it.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I like the ones that buy a game, and sell it in 2 weeks with $500 in mods...for the low low price of $700 over NIB delivered price.

Usually it's accompanied by other local Pinsiders touting the seller and claiming it's "a great deal with all those mods" but they dont buy it themselves because.... it's not a great deal or even a good deal.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

On pinside? Well how long could it actually take to glue all the mods on. I mean... What the hell you gonna do with a game after that?!?

I used to sell cars so when someone came into the dealership with a car with chrome rims and custom stuff I would usually ask for them to remove it or suffer a loss because it devalues a car.

I look at most mods on pinball machines the same way. Modding is something you do because you like it but dont expect others to pay extra for it.

#30 5 years ago

Also, people wanting NIB pricing for a 2 week old used Stern Pro currently in production...that is another head scratcher. You are going to need to hold that game for a few years until they go out of production if you are going to try to get NIB price back out of it. Not to mention the possibility of your game becoming a vault edition at any time.

#31 5 years ago

FOMO

#32 5 years ago

Nothing beats taking a deep breath from a brand new cabinet.. that smell is like a new car. Then when its fading.. sell it.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Nothing beats taking a deep breath from a brand new cabinet.. that smell is like a new car. Then when its fading.. sell it.

Sounds like we need to make that a new air freshener scent

#34 5 years ago

because some people have more money than sense!

#35 5 years ago

My take on this is,some folks have fun playing a new pin all the time and have the Money to do so!! After playing a new pin ,when the "new"wears off,they sell it for close to what they paid,and look forward to the next new experience! Then,they have a platform on Pinside to say,"oh,yeah,I owned that one,blah blah blah"

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

Im not looking to buy a game brand new and being ok with losing a few hundred dollars because I didnt do my diligence before I bought it.

Your 'due diligence' is a loss of value and time to many people. You can't go asking 'why do some people do <thing I wouldn't do>?' and then try to apply your reasoning to the explanations.

Some pins are fun for years, others are fun for weeks. If you only buy the 'years' pins you miss out on a lot of fun.

#37 5 years ago

Becuase they take 90-day warranties literally?

#38 5 years ago

I've had some that I never intended on keeping that only lasted a few weeks. They came as part of a trade, or were an easy pickup at a good price and I knew I could move them along for something I wanted.

I've had some that started out trade bait that I figured would only last a few days, that I ended up really liking. So I kept them.

I've had some others that I thought I wanted that I really didn't want (NBA JAM) that left soon after they got in here.

So, there are many reasons, I suppose...

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Your 'due diligence' is a loss of value and time to many people.
    Some pins are fun for years, others are fun for weeks. If you only buy the 'years' pins you miss out on a lot of fun.

Im not saying i wouldnt live in the moment but I dont need that instant gratification of new. When I start my own barcade Ill totally buy new because it keeps things fresh and will feed those who like that but for my own personal collection I'd rather wait.

#40 5 years ago

Buy them for the dopamine rush.

Sell them as high/buzz is over.

Rinse and repeat.

19bwonmnipr4fjpg (resized).jpg19bwonmnipr4fjpg (resized).jpg
    #41 5 years ago

Because they can, pure and simple...

#42 5 years ago

I can say I have never bought a pin that has not stayed. Of course I always play them before I buy to see if it will last. Ans so far all of 4 of them have! LOL I don't make a lot of money. My newest purshase is a JJP POTC LE. It will be my only NIB purchase!!!!! I played it at expo and I am still happy with it through the changes.
    After that it will be used pins, and thank you folks for buying them and selling them after a few months.

Oh, and I agree with this!

Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

because some people have more money than sense!

#43 5 years ago

For used games the thrill has always been the chase for me. After I started getting into rare machines the difficulty in replacing them has slowed down my desire to trade out as often.

For new games? Some people want the latest and greatest. I think for a lot they buy a new machine based on the promises and hype, but get it and since the code is years from being finished sell hoping the next one is better.

#44 5 years ago

I am this guy.

Numerous reasons for this type of behavior, including some of the following.

- No or minimal location pinball

- Pinball is expensive, so if you are ready to play another title, you gotta sell something.

- Pinball ownership can be cheap. If you purchase at the right price, you can be entertained and move on to something new with minimal cost.

- Some people find that playing only three video games over the next year is tough, same with pinball.

- Many love the idea of having the newest model. With so many different machines being made nowadays, it’s easy to want what’s new and relevant. It allows some to be part of the ‘happening’ group.

I see a new trend in this type of collecting that is working well for some and yields a lot of enjoyment, as long as the person is efficient.

#45 5 years ago

I can buy a World Cup Soccer 94, Keep it for 6 months, then trade it for a Fish Tales (or sell it and buy one), then do the same for a Jurassic Park. Keep things fresh... Or at least that's my plan once my basement is finished (someday you will be mine AFM).

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blindseer:

Sounds like we need to make that a new air freshener scent

The Mod Couple offer/offered NIB cologne. The smell is available if you want it bad enough

#47 5 years ago

Can we add an option in the poll for "has a Twipy award winning YouTube show and needs more pins to review," for my boys at STDM?

#48 5 years ago

What is always hilarious to me is when someone sells again with like a dozen plays on it. Who the heck can ever get a feel for a game that quickly? Seems like a lot of work to haul a game, set it up, etc just to play a couple times before giving up. So weird.

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericc123:

Can we add an option in the poll for "has a Twipy award winning YouTube show and needs more pins to review," for my boys at STDM?

I tried :/ over 2 hours I need a mod

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from valgalder:

What is always hilarious to me is when someone sells again with like a dozen plays on it. Who the heck can ever get a feel for a game that quickly? Seems like a lot of work to haul a game, set it up, etc just to play a couple times before giving up. So weird.

I felt that way when people went from Guardians of the Galaxy to Iron Maiden to Deadpool.

I feel like there was huge regret from those who bought Guardians

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-sell-games-shortly-after-buying-them?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.