(Topic ID: 122947)

Why Do People Only Want to Trade (Rather Than Sell)?

By beelzeboob

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BLFV-B.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

My bf is currently out for trade

boyfriend? best friend?

#42 9 years ago

Simple explanation:

A trade is one transaction instead of two. Even if you have lined up a buy ahead of time, the sell then buy is two transactions.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

They may be of equal value, but only if they're in equal condition.

Not necessarily. A mint old Bally game might be worth the same as a beat up 90s DMD game.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Yes, which is why context matters. You are on a site dedicated to pinball. It makes more sense that in this *context* bf would not be standing for boyfriend or best friend.

Well, if it is an abbreviation for a game title I would think it a proper noun and should be capitalized. I hate the stupid abbreviations anyway and only know a few of them, so then I have to dig around and find out what game you're talking about.

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

When you trade, you know you're dealing with someone who understands pins, the maintenance requirements, and how to fix them.

Boy you really are making a LOT of assumptions here! So you don't expect some average Joe with a game room that knows absolutely nothing about a pinball to ever trade for something else?

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Valid point, but a quick phone conversation will tell you a lot about a person. Trading can be risky. I have had a pinsider misrepresent their machine. I didn't find this out until I got the machine home and unwraped. Another local pinsider just got hosed on a trade for what was described as a mint HUO machine that had issues and broken plastics.

We'll, you are also making a trade when you trade your cash for a pin. When you are looking at it, in person, you have to look for things such as broken plastics, play the game if it is in working order, and so on. Doesn't matter if I am trading a motorcycle for a car, a pool table for a pin, a pin for a pin, or cash for a pin. There's always some element of risk, all you can do is minimize it. If you are making purchases or trades where you are not physically in person to examine the machine inside and out, that is inherently much more risky.

#60 9 years ago

bf

BLFV-B.JPGBLFV-B.JPG
    #78 9 years ago

I liked cosmokramer's three way trade the best:

"Found a guy with an old em pin I was interested in. I own a garage door company and offered him an installed garage door for a trade, he said he wasn't interested in a garage door but wanted a kayak. I told him I didn't have one so he asked me if he can find someone who has a kayak and needs a garage door could I do it and I chuckled and said sure, thinking theres no way this guy is gonna pull this off.

He calls me two days later and says he found a third party to do the three way trade. the following week I went to this guys house and installed his garage door. As I was finishing up the guy with the pin shows up and gives me the pin and picks up his kayak from the guy who got the garage door. Win-win-win for everybody."

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-craziest-trade-youve-ever-done

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-only-want-to-trade-rather-than-sell?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.