(Topic ID: 122947)

Why Do People Only Want to Trade (Rather Than Sell)?

By beelzeboob

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BLFV-B.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

So I see For Trade ads quite a bit, and I'm wondering what the psychology is behind it. On two occasions, I've wanted a machine that somebody was only looking to trade (I don't have enough machines to want to trade anything at this point). Both people stuck to their guns on the trade rather than selling to me outright.
    But...why?
    Let's take two machines that are desirable and priced about the same: Shadow and Congo. (This is purely hypothetical, BTW.) If somebody wants to trade a Shadow for a Congo (or vice-versa), and they can't find somebody to do the trade rather quickly, why wouldn't the person just sell The Shadow outright and take the money to make an offer for somebody else's Congo? Or just do that from the outset rather than waiting forever for the right person to come along?
    I'm not understanding why people are averse to selling and buying instead of just trading.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

It's a challenge to try and enlighten you, but I will try!

Pretty easy actually. I might own a pin that I really love. It might be a high demand pin. There might be another high demand pin out there that I want more than the high demand pin that I currently own.

You might have someone out there who owns the high demand pin that you really want, but they really don't plan on selling it. Yet, you also happen to have a high demand pin that they want...more than the high demand pin that they own.

For example, when I was first trying to get a Tron LE back in my lineup a few years ago, I wasn't able to find one for sale. So what did I do? I put up my Monster Bash as "Trade bait".

Trade bait is the operative term here.

Trade bait means putting up a desirable pin for trade for a specific title, in order to get someone to part with a pin that they otherwise would not have parted with just for cash.

#80 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I liked cosmokramer's three way trade the best:
    "Found a guy with an old em pin I was interested in. I own a garage door company and offered him an installed garage door for a trade, he said he wasn't interested in a garage door but wanted a kayak. I told him I didn't have one so he asked me if he can find someone who has a kayak and needs a garage door could I do it and I chuckled and said sure, thinking theres no way this guy is gonna pull this off.
    He calls me two days later and says he found a third party to do the three way trade. the following week I went to this guys house and installed his garage door. As I was finishing up the guy with the pin shows up and gives me the pin and picks up his kayak from the guy who got the garage door. Win-win-win for everybody."
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-the-craziest-trade-youve-ever-done

That's pretty crazy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-only-want-to-trade-rather-than-sell?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.