(Topic ID: 122947)

Why Do People Only Want to Trade (Rather Than Sell)?

By beelzeboob

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chuckwurt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BLFV-B.JPG

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

So I see For Trade ads quite a bit, and I'm wondering what the psychology is behind it. On two occasions, I've wanted a machine that somebody was only looking to trade (I don't have enough machines to want to trade anything at this point). Both people stuck to their guns on the trade rather than selling to me outright.

But...why?

Let's take two machines that are desirable and priced about the same: Shadow and Congo. (This is purely hypothetical, BTW.) If somebody wants to trade a Shadow for a Congo (or vice-versa), and they can't find somebody to do the trade rather quickly, why wouldn't the person just sell the Shadow outright and take the money to make an offer for somebody else's Congo? Or just do that from the outset rather than waiting forever for the right person to come along?

I'm not understanding why people are averse to selling and buying instead of just trading.

Can anyone enlighten me?

#2 5 years ago

Everyone has a unique financial situation maybe. If they should own a business it's not always wise to show money in and out all of the time. Some may also do it as a way to keep it in budget and not to overspend. Their are several reasons.

#3 5 years ago

I feel in certain trades you can come out ahead.

#4 5 years ago

Some times it takes awhile to find a game at a fair price without shipping.

Some games I have that I don't want to sell but if a trade was offered I'd let it go at a fair price.

Just my thoughts as a guy with radical for trade not sale

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from coasterguy:

Everyone has a unique financial situation maybe. If they should own a business it's not always wise to show money in and out all of the time. Some may also do it as a way to keep it in budget and not to overspend. Their are several reasons.

Good point. But you can just stick the money in a safe, then hand it to the next guy. Still makes no sense if someone's looking to get rid of a machine. I find it really perplexing.

I know...I should probably get a hobby. But I already have one!

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Some times it takes awhile to find a game at a fair price without shipping.
    Some games I have that I don't want to sell but if a trade was offered I'd let it go at a fair price.
    Just my thoughts as a guy with radical for trade not sale

But if somebody said "What would you take for it?", would you give them a number, or just hold on to it for a trade?

#7 5 years ago

Maybe...hypothetically....they think if they liquidate a game into cash, that money might get blown on a non pin item and make it harder to get the replacement game. The trade provides instant gratification and no negative space in the lineup, along with avoiding the feeling of spending money on a game.

#8 5 years ago

Trade is easier in most cases.

-You don't have to let random CL people into your life and deal with tire-kickers and/or lowballers.
    -It's 99/100 times local.
    -You now have an additional strong-man to help you move the pins out/in.
    -You don't have to redo the whole CL shitshow when trying to buy the pin you want (so many great people in the hobby, but when you're looking for the pin you're after, odds are you'll always find the one Mr Bungle).
    -Usually, both parties aren't in a hurry to trade because they can typically get what they are looking for (as long as it's reasonable), so it's a more laid back interaction.

#9 5 years ago

For me, it just seems harder to find the games I am looking for these days. I hate having cash in my hand and not have a machine lined up right away because it always seems to get spent on other things and these days I just don't have the extra money to add a machine so I have to sell first. I sometimes first try to find a trade and then go the for sale route. That said, its very hard also to make trades in my opinion. In my experience two sides just can't agree on price on either end and it makes it hard to make a fair trade.

#10 5 years ago

I have often wondered about this myself. Isn't this why people created currency, in order to avoid the inefficiencies of a barter economy?

Sell a machine for its fair market value in cash and then use that cash to purchase a game that you want at fair market value. Seems so much easier than trying to find two people that have games to trade.

#11 5 years ago

I really don't need a pile of cash sitting there hoping for a game that I want will appear locally. Most of my dealings have been trades +/- $. Game goes out and a new game comes in on the same day. Right now I have a IJ for trade in Tampa. I will play it until the right deal comes along (looking for a LOTR or SS as my top choices). If I have $ in hand it tends to go to other projects

#12 5 years ago

I usually sell only when I have a buy lined up. Trading keeps the lineup full and you get to shoot the shit with another pinhead vs random dude with game he's had sitting untouched in his basement the last decade.

#13 5 years ago

Trading can sometimes get you items that would not otherwise be for sale.

#14 5 years ago

In my area demand is much higher then availability. Selling your game might mean months without before a good replacement comes along, and then you NEED to jump on the sale listing or it will be sold while your left playing with a wad of cash.

#15 5 years ago

I just find the specific trades comical. Will trade this, this, and this for that, that, and that. Haha i think the odds of winning the lottery are better than finding a trade to meet the criteria.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

But if somebody said "What would you take for it?", would you give them a number, or just hold on to it for a trade?

If someone said that, I'd give them a number. Trades are best when they work out. But if I'm trading a game, I'll trade it for cash too.

#17 5 years ago

My bf is currently out for trade and here is why.

Its relatively rare. I am in no hurry to get rid of it, but if I can get another machine I want, sure. I also avoid dealing with penny pinchers trying to nickle and dime me when selling. It also means I do not have to fight other buyers or overpay for the machine I want. It is much easier to establish a fair price for both machines when trading. Also trades tend to be among collectors so I dont need to do a full tear down on what i get.

#18 5 years ago

For me... the buying market is small here. And I'd rather not be sitting down a pin waiting for the right deal. When I try to trade a pin it's usually because I'm at the take it or leave it stage with that pin. I'm fine if it stays, I'm fine if it goes as long as I can find a pin I want to take it's place right away. Only time I'd jump on a straight cash deal is if the offer is too good to pass up. Won't even tell you what someone just offered me for an arcade I had. Couldn't say no.

#19 5 years ago

With trades, you don't have to deal with any exurbanite amount of bs. You don't have to deal with everyone low balling you on selling. You don't have to deal with outrageous prices when buying. And most important you don't have to deal with not having a pin while trying to look for what you wanted to trade for.

#20 5 years ago

The biggest reason is often what you have MIGHT interest what someone who has what you want. Also an empty spot in your line-up is sad. I know for me I have a set amount of pins I can fit, and when I sell one I want to fill that void. Now you COULD do the sell, then buy deal. But that is an extra step that...well isn't a lot of fun. There is a whole new set of negotiations, back and forth...blah blah blah...

For me I am ok selling if I have already set a price for another machine I want. But it's been said before, then I need to get the ca$h out of what I have to cover that. And often I don't like too much in between and covering that hole in my account

#21 5 years ago

A lot of people have said that they trade to avoid the haggling...and I get that. I'm one of those rare guys that likes to do "firm" deals (both buying and selling) only because I can't stand the lowballing and haggling. I'm just more comfortable with it.

That said, I think you still wind up haggling with a trade because it seems to me that invariably one or both parties will believe that they have some extra cash coming their way...especially when it comes to comparing the conditions of each machine involved in the trade.

#22 5 years ago

If you are the one actively marketing for a trade, you are on the vulnerable side of negotiations and thus generally need to be more flexible to make the deal. Obviously both parties are interested in the deal (the respondent may actually be more motivated), but the respondent "should" negotiate with a slight, but noticeable, advantage.

#23 5 years ago

Buy low, sell high. Everyone does this. That said, I find that when the time comes to get rid of a title, you tend to get more credit towards a trade applied to your game than cash value assigned in an outright sale.

#24 5 years ago

Ive never understood this concept and never will. I want a game that's "trade only" but I don't have the games he is looking for, thus the game has been available for months. Put a price on it, I buy it and yes maybe he has to wait to find another game but really that's a big deal? Cash in hand is never a bad thing and in this case, avoids 6 months of " I want to trade".

#25 5 years ago

I don't get it either. I'm very specific about what pins I want. Maybe people who are into trades are not as finicky. Like walking into a swingers party...

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

-You don't have to let random CL people into your life and deal with tire-kickers and/or lowballers.
    -You don't have to redo the whole CL shitshow when trying to buy the pin you want (so many great people in the hobby, but when you're looking for the pin you're after, odds are you'll always find the one Mr Bungle).
    -Usually, both parties aren't in a hurry to trade because they can typically get what they are looking for (as long as it's reasonable), so it's a more laid back interaction.

While I see your point because god knows I hate tire kickers and wasted time, answer me this....

Guy has a game for "trade" I have numerous titles that are better more valuable but he's not interested in them, fair enough, I get it but its been 6 months and if he just said I want $2500 for it, Id pick it up tomorrow. It makes no sense at all.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from guarda:

I don't get it either. I'm very specific about what pins I want. Maybe people who are into trades are not as finicky. Like walking into a swingers party...

Lol, im still finicky there too..

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Lol, im still finicky there too..

Exactly what I meant.

#29 5 years ago

Because every now and then it works out.

In case you haven't noticed selling a game can be a pain in the ass. Sometimes a trade works better.

I've sold far more games than I've traded but I've been pretty happy with the handful of trades I've done.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

It makes no sense at all.

I think some people just float it out there that they have a game to trade, but still play it regularly. So if they game doesn't trade, they're just as happy continuing to hold onto it and playing it versus selling for cash them getting in the mindset of trying to find the pin they want, for cash sale, and have that money burning a hole in their pocket.

I'm only going off of my mentality when I had a WCS94, I was in no hurry to sell and really only wanted to trade - so I just hung onto it until a trade offer I randomly threw out to another member here on pinside accepted it, ezpz compared to trying to sell for cash like I had with TSPP.

Different strokes, different folks I guess. But I totally understand the frustration when someone is looking for 'that one' specific pin and offers cash, but the seller only wants to trade it away

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because every now and then it works out.
    In case you haven't noticed selling a game can be a pain in the ass. Sometimes a trade works better.
    I've sold far more games than I've traded but I've been pretty happy with the handful of trades I've done.

Yup, for sure. BUT..... to make it a trade or nothing is crazy. I would have already picked up the game. Selling is a pain in the ass and so is trading,nature of the beast I guess.

My problem is I got cash, but I don't have the games on the trade list. Sucks I cant just buy it and everyone is happy.

#32 5 years ago

Selling a game is only a pain in the ass when you want too much money.

Buying a game is only a pain in the ass when you're lowballing.

Moving a pin is a pain in the ass every time

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Moving a pin is a pain in the ass every time

Preach brother!

#34 5 years ago

Sometimes in a trade the other guy does the moving.

A very tangible benefit of some trades.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Trading can sometimes get you items that would not otherwise be for sale.

Bingo. A trade opens up a door sometimes.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

Great answer. I've always been stumped about trading & now I understand the benefits. Thx!

#37 5 years ago

When I am selling a machine I will put that I would also be open to trades and then see whatever happens,if you trade for a cheaper game plus cash somtimes it is easier to sell the cheaper game after and get what you need out of the game.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Once its gone he has no trade bait for others wanting to trade only now

#39 5 years ago

I get the idea of trading machine's but some of us don't always have something to trade or what we have is considered players junk nobody want's to trade a nice well kept machine for a players beater.
    But when the economy is going great and everybody's working 40+ and everything peachy cash isn't a problem. When the current state is some working almost full time,some working 2 jobs to just cover their tracks cash isn't just laying around to get that next machine. So your tired of the current line up and your looking for a change trade can be your best option.

#40 5 years ago

I've generally been confused about it too...but had a realization just the other day.

Say someone local is asking $3500 for TFTC, but would consider trades. That's way overpriced. We can argue over that price, or I can trade a game of equal value, say FT. Hard to argue those aren't worth about the same.

If I sold my FT first, I'd be $1000 short.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

My bf is currently out for trade

boyfriend? best friend?

#42 5 years ago

Simple explanation:

A trade is one transaction instead of two. Even if you have lined up a buy ahead of time, the sell then buy is two transactions.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

boyfriend? best friend?

BF is the common abbreviation for Batman Forever

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

I've generally been confused about it too...but had a realization just the other day.
    Say someone local is asking $3500 for TFTC, but would consider trades. That's way overpriced. We can argue over that price, or I can trade a game of equal value, say FT. Hard to argue those aren't worth about the same.
    If I sold my FT first, I'd be $1000 short.

Like I said before, though, I can see a problem with each party haggling about the condition of their respective machines. They may be of equal value, but only if they're in equal condition.

#45 5 years ago

.... because my wife can sense when I have cash in my jeans, but couldn't name one of the pins we have downstairs.

#46 5 years ago

It is quite simple.

You are reducing the # of transactions...

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

They may be of equal value, but only if they're in equal condition.

Not necessarily. A mint old Bally game might be worth the same as a beat up 90s DMD game.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

BF is the common abbreviation for Batman Forever

And bf is the common abbreviation for boy or best friend

#49 5 years ago

This is simple , money is easier to come across than pinball machines these days

#50 5 years ago

When you trade, you know you're dealing with someone who understands pins, the maintenance requirements, and how to fix them. If you sell, you're inviting people into the transaction who have no idea, and will expect that if (or more likely, when) something goes wrong in a month on a 25-year-old machine that you'll give their money back or fix it for them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.00
    Boards
    RoyGBev Pinball
    $ 999.00
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,699.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    € 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 85.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 44.95
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 90.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The Art of Pinball
    Playfield - Plastics
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside