Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 362 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do people leave the hobby?”

• Financial reasons. 139 votes
      32%
    • Pinside reasons. 35 votes
      8%
    • Sick of repairs. 47 votes
      11%
    • Marital reasons. 15 votes
      3%
    • Unspecified reasons. 48 votes
      11%
    • Beelzeboob entered the hobby. 53 votes
      12%
    • I like cheese. 99 votes
      23%

(436 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0614 (resized).JPG
    images (resized).png
    Beelz (resized).jpg
    20170703_102731_resized (resized).jpg
    Resized_20170721_094301 (resized).jpg
    Resized_20170721_094257 (resized).jpg
    satr2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0778 (resized).JPG
    Excuse me.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-22-10-44-52 (resized).png
    Scooby-Doo-meddling_kids (resized).jpg
    meddling-kids-button (resized).jpg
    Loser-JC (resized).jpg
    passed_out_toilet[1] (resized).jpg
    party-tape_job (resized).jpg
    Party_is_Over[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

life is full of fun things to do and few hobbies are able to hold people for the long haul.

With pinball the people I have seen enter the hobby, get heavy, and then leave the hobby are people that tended to be very 1 dimensional in what they liked about the hobby and expected too much too fast...
    i.e.
    They liked the hustle of finding new games and fixing/reselling but that has dried up.
    They liked competing but that got boring after a while and they arent as good as the 13 year olds.
    They liked getting the newest game on the block and flipping in 3 months later but now the prices are too high.
    They liked to mod but then overspent and got burmed on a sale so stopped.
    They tried to fix a game and got defeated and quit.

I have found the inverse is true also. The people that find multiple aspects of the hobby interesting are the ones that tend to stick around for the long haul. Mod, buy, fix, built, restore, play, compete. You just alternate between all the aspects at different times and it continually feels fresh.

#36 6 years ago

am I the only person that looks at the colleciton from anyone in this thread talking about getting out/ selling off

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

(no whysnow, not for sale!)

lol

I checked, nothing on my current list

#63 6 years ago

I know a guy that got crop dusted by bezzzzlleeboob at TPF. He left and never came back.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Wish I could vote for multiple options in the poll. Could be multiple reasons why they left the hobby.

in your case Kwiki... what happened and what brought you back?

refreshing to see you around again!

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I would get out if I could convince SuAnn that we can do a early retirement thing. Sell it all, everything and buy a motor home and just GO.
    John

I seem to remember a FS thread with that very thing in mind a few years ago. Guy was looking to sell the whole lot all at once/ trade for a nice motor home. Wonder how that worked out/ if it did.

#122 6 years ago

Just a trend I am noticing... Many of the people noting they may be getting out in the future, have very 1 dimensional collections IMO.

Lots of Stern, SternLE collections with a MMr or AFMr mixed in.

I suggest branching out if you feel the hobby is getting stale.
    Pick up an EM, classic Bally or classic Stern and learn how to clean it up. You may find that it is easier to not burn out when you have a sub 1k game that you put 500 in and has tons of replay factor.

JMHO/ suggestion FWIW (not much)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-leave-the-hobby?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.