Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 362 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do people leave the hobby?”

• Financial reasons. 139 votes
      32%
    • Pinside reasons. 35 votes
      8%
    • Sick of repairs. 47 votes
      11%
    • Marital reasons. 15 votes
      3%
    • Unspecified reasons. 48 votes
      11%
    • Beelzeboob entered the hobby. 53 votes
      12%
    • I like cheese. 99 votes
      23%

(436 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0614 (resized).JPG
    images (resized).png
    Beelz (resized).jpg
    20170703_102731_resized (resized).jpg
    Resized_20170721_094301 (resized).jpg
    Resized_20170721_094257 (resized).jpg
    satr2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0778 (resized).JPG
    Excuse me.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-22-10-44-52 (resized).png
    Scooby-Doo-meddling_kids (resized).jpg
    meddling-kids-button (resized).jpg
    Loser-JC (resized).jpg
    passed_out_toilet[1] (resized).jpg
    party-tape_job (resized).jpg
    Party_is_Over[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've talked to three people in the last six months (four in the last year) that were heavily into pinball, were frequent posters in this forum, and have decided to back out of the hobby. None of the guys left for financial reasons. Two said their reasons were Pinside-related, one had had enough of all the repairs, and another one just didn't want to talk about it.
    I try to tell them what somebody much better looking and wiser than me once said: Pinside isn't pinball. If you get sick of the Pinside bullshit, take a break from it and play a few games. Or better yet, restore a game and save it from the junk heap. For those guys, it's too late.
    Do you know anybody that's left the hobby? And what were the reasons?
    I've included a poll because--hey!--everybody loves a good poll.
    Oh, that didn't sound right at all...

A lot of people go overboard when they get into a new hobby. They buy up everything.. they get 'all the things you are supposed to have'.. then they sit on their throne and realize the payoff isn't what they thought when they just did all the thing others told them they needed.. instead of finding their own utopia.

Or some people just have life pull them in different directions.. or they tire of the upkeep.

Most people I know pull away just for lack of time, focus, or can't be bothered to keep a collection up and running anymore.

#90 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I jumped in with both feet, kind of like flynnibus wrote about. I still love playing and fixing games, but it is a little sad to me to not be able to fit or afford *all* the games I'd like to have. The budget I set for myself allows about 4 games; 1 high priced one, 2 mid-priced, one cheapo. That is an incredibly small scope to work in, and I have a super hard time selling each game, and trying not to think of all the money and time I put into it. Eventually I may just say "F* IT!"

I've owned games for 20 years.. and sold a total of 3

#92 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I've spoken to a few people and we have to get back to more of this....

Next week we have more than 4 days straight of this! Pinburg is a marathon pin-bender.

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Dude, I need to move out to Ashburn apparently!

Out here we have full basements. Tho when I moved to 3 games, the wife forced me to buy a bigger house

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-leave-the-hobby?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.