Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 362 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do people leave the hobby?”

• Financial reasons. 139 votes
      32%
    • Pinside reasons. 35 votes
      8%
    • Sick of repairs. 47 votes
      11%
    • Marital reasons. 15 votes
      3%
    • Unspecified reasons. 48 votes
      11%
    • Beelzeboob entered the hobby. 53 votes
      12%
    • I like cheese. 99 votes
      23%

(436 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0614 (resized).JPG
    images (resized).png
    Beelz (resized).jpg
    20170703_102731_resized (resized).jpg
    Resized_20170721_094301 (resized).jpg
    Resized_20170721_094257 (resized).jpg
    satr2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0778 (resized).JPG
    Excuse me.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-22-10-44-52 (resized).png
    Scooby-Doo-meddling_kids (resized).jpg
    meddling-kids-button (resized).jpg
    Loser-JC (resized).jpg
    passed_out_toilet[1] (resized).jpg
    party-tape_job (resized).jpg
    Party_is_Over[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#157 6 years ago

I'm perhaps a bit on the cusp...but "the hobby" can mean anything, so I doubt I'll ever be totally out of pinball. However, over the past few years my interest level and priorities have definitely changed. Due to the GB debacle, Dutch situation, and the general state of fuckery & pricing in the new sector of pinball, I'm absolutely done with the NIB side of the hobby. I used to be a regular NIB buyer...but they have alienated me from being a customer of their product.

But that's fine, I have a collection of older games that I enjoy...but honestly, I don't really play them that much anymore...I've gotten more and more back into video games (Retro and Switch), and that's how I've been spending my nerdy free time. The video game scene has also slapped me upside the head with some perspective on what we get for our money. Stern is selling plastic toppers with some lights for $500....you can get a PS4 Pro for $400, a Switch for $300. These new pins cost $5000-9000....I'm playing ARMS right now, which is absolutely incredible and insanely fun, social and addicting...it was $60. Pinball = WTF.

So, I don't really play my pins that much...I should prob just sell them, right? Honestly - if I had any idea what to do with the room where I keep my pins - I probably would! So, in the meantime, I'm gonna be one of those hobbyists who likes pinball but isn't quite as obsessed as I used to be....and I think the catalyst for my sell-off will be when I have kids. I'll need the room (and money) when a baby enters the picture, and I'm totally fine with that and looking forward to it. I don't see myself as ever being pin-less....but I bet I could easily sell 10 and not lose any sleep.

I could also see myself disconnecting from Pinside again, as well....I can see why it's a reason in the poll. It's mostly just a lot of bickering and sycophant posting these days...just another time suck. I have met some great friends in this hobby....and honestly almost none of them are currently on Pinside. We still have our real life friendships...so, I don't really need this as a "pinball social outlet".

#164 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

Economies of scale.
    If Stern could sell 10-20 million machines a year and build them overseas they would cost $1250 and a topper would be $75.

I get why the machines themselves cost so much... toppers tho are a total cash grab and marked up insanely - cuz people will pay for them, so why not? They're just taking advantage of mod crazy newbs. I stopped buying new Sterns before they started the topper stuff....so, I was never tempted.

#284 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

i laugh when i see people mention money as the reason they leave
    you dont need to buy the latest Stern LE or have a collection of A list games to enjoy this hobby

Even the "cheap" games are $2000-4000 these days...which, ya know....isn't cheap!

#286 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh, I don't know...I just got a Joker Poker for $500 last September.

I just got Splatoon 2 for $60.

"Cheap" pinball is still expensive to most people.

#306 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sometimes I think you argue just to argue.

Wasn't arguing...but thankfully you won't have to suffer through your incorrect perceptions of my conversations much longer.

#319 6 years ago
    Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Trust me I know. I've been drinking more milk then ever. More dairy in general since this happened. For whatever reason I backed off of dairy a few years ago. I drink mostly water everyday and zero soda/pop so I have that going for me.

That's not going to help your bones and just lead you to cardiovascular problems. Just take a calcium supplement or eat more dark leafy greens. Milk curing bone probs is a myth.

#323 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Where do I send the fruit basket?

Share it with the sycophants & "Positivity or DIE" crowd who will be the only ones left here.

#325 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, I agree with that. You'll notice the thread I created vs. the other one that was created as the yin to this thread's yang, I suppose. You'll also notice which one gets more action, which is why I said Pinside loves negativity, which you downvoted. Which confuses me...

My problem with people who say Pinside is just "negativity", is that it discounts opinions as being nothing but something from curmudgeons to be shrugged off, rather than valid opinions based on experience.

#332 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well everyone has to travel the righteous happy path to the realit...er "the negative" side of Pinside.
    Even you were there once sir...you were completely positive prices weren't going to increase when LCDs came into the picture. Every time you could you peppered that fact into the conversation "cheaper to do them than DMDs.." etc etc and now prices are too high for you.

My take was more that prices don't HAVE to increase because of LCDs...if they did, well...that's cuz as customers we're here for the fleecing. Is Aero Pro more than GB Pro?

As far as prices go - they're too high for me in terms of what you get. Poor build quality, poor QC, poor designs, unfinished/buggy code...I wouldn't pay for that even if the prices were lower. Just on principal, it's shameful what they release, especially considering the asking price. There needs to be a major shift in product development and how things leave the factory for me to ever consider another pinball machine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-leave-the-hobby?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.