2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 362 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why do people leave the hobby?”

• Financial reasons. 139 votes
      32%
    • Pinside reasons. 34 votes
      8%
    • Sick of repairs. 47 votes
      11%
    • Marital reasons. 15 votes
      3%
    • Unspecified reasons. 48 votes
      11%
    • Beelzeboob entered the hobby. 52 votes
      12%
    • I like cheese. 99 votes
      23%

(434 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 26 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0614 (resized).JPG
    images (resized).png
    Beelz (resized).jpg
    20170703_102731_resized (resized).jpg
    Resized_20170721_094301 (resized).jpg
    Resized_20170721_094257 (resized).jpg
    satr2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0778 (resized).JPG
    Excuse me.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-07-22-10-44-52 (resized).png
    Scooby-Doo-meddling_kids (resized).jpg
    meddling-kids-button (resized).jpg
    Loser-JC (resized).jpg
    passed_out_toilet[1] (resized).jpg
    party-tape_job (resized).jpg
    Party_is_Over[1] (resized).jpg

There are 362 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 2 years ago

I've talked to three people in the last six months (four in the last year) that were heavily into pinball, were frequent posters in this forum, and have decided to back out of the hobby. None of the guys left for financial reasons. Two said their reasons were Pinside-related, one had had enough of all the repairs, and another one just didn't want to talk about it.

I try to tell them what somebody much better looking and wiser than me once said: Pinside isn't pinball. If you get sick of the Pinside bullshit, take a break from it and play a few games. Or better yet, restore a game and save it from the junk heap. For those guys, it's too late.

Do you know anybody that's left the hobby? And what were the reasons?

I've included a poll because--hey!--everybody loves a good poll.

Oh, that didn't sound right at all...

#2 2 years ago

You KNOW what my vote was.

#3 2 years ago

I guess "got tired of it" is an unspecified reason?

Why did I stop going to Star Trek conventions when I was 11. Same reason I stopped collecting Garbage Pail Kids cards and skateboarding, I guess I got tired of it. people get tired of things all the time.

#4 2 years ago

life is full of fun things to do and few hobbies are able to hold people for the long haul.

With pinball the people I have seen enter the hobby, get heavy, and then leave the hobby are people that tended to be very 1 dimensional in what they liked about the hobby and expected too much too fast...
    i.e.
    They liked the hustle of finding new games and fixing/reselling but that has dried up.
    They liked competing but that got boring after a while and they arent as good as the 13 year olds.
    They liked getting the newest game on the block and flipping in 3 months later but now the prices are too high.
    They liked to mod but then overspent and got burmed on a sale so stopped.
    They tried to fix a game and got defeated and quit.

I have found the inverse is true also. The people that find multiple aspects of the hobby interesting are the ones that tend to stick around for the long haul. Mod, buy, fix, built, restore, play, compete. You just alternate between all the aspects at different times and it continually feels fresh.

#5 2 years ago

The only good reason I can think of is the games were not getting played and collecting dust.

#6 2 years ago

All good and thoughtful responses. Except for Yfzguy's. Can't believe he lifted his face out of the corn pancake trough long enough to actually post a reply.

#7 2 years ago

Some people stick with a hobby. Some people don't. Some people overdo and burn out. Some people enjoy part of pinball be it playing, collecting, fixing, shows, the people, etc. and lose sight of what they once liked about it. Some find other interests that bring them more enjoyment.

And some finally met beelzeboob and called it a day. They'd reached the pinnacle of the hobby and it's all downhill from there.

LTG : )

#8 2 years ago

Are you back from vacation? On the plane? Bored?

#9 2 years ago

Another thing I can think of is a lot of people enter this hobby based on what other people like or say is good and never really branch out to find what else there is in pinball. Then they quickly tire of it without ever giving the rest of it a real chance.

#10 2 years ago

I stopped posting on Pinside as much as I got tired of the constant fighting and bickering between people. Now I really "try" to only post when someone needs technical help. Obviously I've lost sight of that sometimes as I'm posting in this thread for instance. The negativity just wore on me and I became a negative person myself which I didn't like. That's when I knew it was time to put the keyboard up for the most part.

I stopped buying NIB games because the cost vs value equilibrium has been passed up for me. My first NIB was TFLE for less than $5K. I love my GOTLE but that nearly $8K hit got me thinking and I made the decision enough was enough.

I still play my games but I do find it hard to enjoy them now by myself ever since I started playing in tournaments. I used to hit the ball around for fun of which I now have a goal to achieve when I play. I miss the days of just naive play as it was more fun. Because of this and the $$$ I've seriously thought about selling off things.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

Are you back from vacation? On the plane? Bored?

The Hawaiian sun is making me contemplative, melancholic, and longing for happier times. Like seeing you at Pintastic.

Back Thursday.

#12 2 years ago

I was very active in collecting arcades for the last 6 years until I bought my first pin. I stopped buying anymore arcades and lost complete interest in arcades. I've been addicted to pins now for a few years, but I can see my interest starting to fade. I think for me, I'm beginning to realize that I can't keep up with the prices to get new games. I like newer machines, and I don't think it makes good sense financially to keep buying. Im at a point where I'll keep what I have and if I want something new, I'll need to sell. My point after babbling on is that I think interests change for a variety of reasons. Mine is shifting due to financial reasons. I have far more money invested than I ever expected and I think I'm done after possibly one more.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Another thing I can think of is a lot of people enter this hobby based on what other people like or say is good and never really branch out to find what else there is in pinball. Then they quickly tire of it without ever giving the rest of it a real chance.

I know a couple people that won't even take the glass off. That can get frustrating--and boring--really quickly.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've talked to three people in the last six months (four in the last year) that were heavily into pinball, were frequent posters in this forum, and have decided to back out of the hobby. None of the guys left for financial reasons. Two said their reasons were Pinside-related, one had had enough of all the repairs, and another one just didn't want to talk about it.
    I try to tell them what somebody much better looking and wiser than me once said: Pinside isn't pinball. If you get sick of the Pinside bullshit, take a break from it and play a few games. Or better yet, restore a game and save it from the junk heap. For those guys, it's too late.
    Do you know anybody that's left the hobby? And what were the reasons?
    I've included a poll because--hey!--everybody loves a good poll.
    Oh, that didn't sound right at all...

A lot of people go overboard when they get into a new hobby. They buy up everything.. they get 'all the things you are supposed to have'.. then they sit on their throne and realize the payoff isn't what they thought when they just did all the thing others told them they needed.. instead of finding their own utopia.

Or some people just have life pull them in different directions.. or they tire of the upkeep.

Most people I know pull away just for lack of time, focus, or can't be bothered to keep a collection up and running anymore.

#15 2 years ago

People get tired of hobbies all of the time. They might find something else they enjoy more or as much that is a lot cheaper. They might just not want a bunch of money tied up into toys anymore. There's plenty of times that I look at my games and think I should sell most of them.

#16 2 years ago

I can tell you why I am - well, not leaving but drastically downsizing.
    I turned my hobby into my job. After working on pins 40+ hours a week, the last thing I want to do is look at pinballs in my basement.
    It has taken 4+ years but little by little, my interest has waned. Dialed In gave me those warm/fuzzy feelings again for awhile, but even new games I'm like meh.
    Kinda sad really.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I know a couple people that won't even take the glass off. That can get frustrating--and boring--really quickly.

Lots of people play with the glass on.

#18 2 years ago

because they suck at pinball isn't an option?

#19 2 years ago

Pinside can never influence the simple enjoyment I get from stepping up to a pin & flipping a silver ball.

Crazy idea: Try actually playing your pins more often, instead of arguing about them on an internet forum. It's far more enjoyable

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Pinside can never influence the simple enjoyment I get from stepping up to a pin & flipping a silver ball.
    Crazy idea: Try actually playing your pins more often, instead of arguing about them on an internet forum. It's far more enjoyable

There are a lot of guys who just collect them and make them pretty and hardly ever play them. They are the ones who usually sit around and complain about every issue that pops up and also make vendor lives a royal pain in the butt.

#21 2 years ago

I jumped in with both feet, kind of like flynnibus wrote about. I still love playing and fixing games, but it is a little sad to me to not be able to fit or afford *all* the games I'd like to have. The budget I set for myself allows about 4 games; 1 high priced one, 2 mid-priced, one cheapo. That is an incredibly small scope to work in, and I have a super hard time selling each game, and trying not to think of all the money and time I put into it. Eventually I may just say "F* IT!"

I'm also a musician, hobby-wise and I own a small IT company (Intranet / Knowledge Management / Cloud Services) that takes up a lot of my time. And I have a 7 year old wiseacre who keeps my wife and I on our toes!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Lots of people play with the glass on.

Not me. How else can I perform the patented Beelzeboob Ball Save?

You're actually the one that gave me the courage to take the glass off and lift the playfield for the very first time, Lloyd. So thanks again for that.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from dgoett:

I can tell you why I am - well, not leaving but drastically downsizing.
    I turned my hobby into my job. After working on pins 40+ hours a week, the last thing I want to do is look at pinballs in my basement.
    It has taken 4+ years but little by little, my interest has waned. Dialed In gave me those warm/fuzzy feelings again for awhile, but even new games I'm like meh.
    Kinda sad really.

and this

#24 2 years ago

I thought I was out of it for the most part until recently. I was rarely on pinside, and had no desire to buy more pins. The two I have were plenty, and I went back over to the video side (after foolishly selling a few vids that I really liked when I decided to go all pinball a few years ago). Going to PAGG again this year kinda reset that a little pit for me. I had fun playing the games, and enjoyed hanging out with the pinball peeps. When I went down there, I still had zero intention of ever buying a pin again. Then I saw AFMrLE, and that changed. Not sure if I will buy any after that one comes in, but I would like an MMr, so I won't count it out.

I don't know if I will buy anything outside of the remakes, and I think I realized why that is. I just can't get a good feel for the games. AFMr was the exception at the show, and I could hear it well (plus I know what it sounds like). My main issue with games at shows and on route is that I can rarely hear them. I have no desire to play a game I can't hear. I certainly won't buy one based on playing without sound.

I think there is also a possible end to it after you have found all the things you are no longer interested in. I have never been into EMs. I used to like SS stuff, and will play them some at shows, but I won't own another one. 90s DMD games are out for me for the most part now as well. I would rather have new. By the time I spend the money on lights and speakers to make the 20 year old games look like they belong in a current gameroom, I may as well buy a new one. I think that is why I am so interested in the remakes.

I have room in the gameroom for one more pin after AFMr. The leading choices are MMr or BoP (wife wants one). After that, I just don't know. I don't see myself selling them all off though, so maybe I am not really out of it, but it definitely is not the draw it was a few years ago.

#25 2 years ago

There are a lot of shooting stars in this hobby. They start off like a rocket on the launch pad and buy and sell games frequently and then they realize they are chasing a never ending buzz that gets less and less each time while burning cash year after year.
    If a person like that never finds any keepers or at least some of the games that keep some interest for a couple of years among the cycling of games then burnout is inevitable.

#26 2 years ago

Time. Not enough time.

#27 2 years ago

How in the hell would Pinside make someone get out of pinball? The two can be very much mutually exclusive.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The budget I set for myself allows about 4 games; 1 high priced one, 2 mid-priced, one cheapo. That is an incredibly small scope to work in,

And yet you have a fine collection that can bring you lots of fun and enjoyment, if you let it.

Give me two or three guys in a garage playing a High Speed with half the paint worn off and things not all working. Having a beer. Laughing and having a great time with their friends. That is pinball.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not me. How else can I perform the patented Beelzeboob Ball Save?
    You're actually the one that gave me the courage to take the glass off and lift the playfield for the very first time, Lloyd. So thanks again for that.

Now THAT is pretty cool!

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And yet you have a fine collection that can bring you lots of fun and enjoyment, if you let it.
    Give me two or three guys in a garage playing a High Speed with half the paint worn off and things not all working. Having a beer. Laughing and having a great time with their friends. That is pinball.

Touche. You are right. My gameroom started with an old fridge we moved from the upstairs kitchen... forevermore it will be the beer fridge!

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

All good and thoughtful responses.

Also it can frustrate people never increasing their skill level, and they decide to leave.

Take the hint beelzeboob

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNewb:

How in the hell would Pinside make someone get out of pinball?

Some people take it personally when attacked, and others pile on.

LTG : (

#33 2 years ago

I went to zero pins a few years ago before a move and took a break Then WOZ came out and sucked me back in... now I think we will always have two or three keeper pins on hand but thats the limit.

#34 2 years ago

While I find a very small handful of pinsiders to be assholes, they would never deter me from the hobby. As a person who walked away for 4 years and then came back, I had to do it due to divorce. I pretty much sold all my stuff and started over just recently.

#35 2 years ago

I would say other hobbies as the number one excuse. Limiting factors are time and money and those limit how many hobbies you can have. If you have more money and time then you can afford more hobbies.

#36 2 years ago

am I the only person that looks at the colleciton from anyone in this thread talking about getting out/ selling off

#37 2 years ago

I tried taking a break two years ago and kinda felt empty, as everyone truly does need a hobby. I missed the endless hours of "pinball parkour" and felt my core muscles were getting a little flabby
    Nothing like leaning in EMs for hours to keep you off the lazyboy and put down the devices. I can see thinning the herd but not leaving totally.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I guess "got tired of it" is an unspecified reason?
    Why did I stop going to Star Trek conventions when I was 11. Same reason I stopped collecting Garbage Pail Kids cards and skateboarding, I guess I got tired of it. people get tired of things all the time.

Hopefully you'll get tired of interjecting weird opinions into subjects that don't really interest you, and focus on the 50% of your comments that are solid!

#39 2 years ago

One more reason I can see people leaving the hobby is their liver gives out, plain and simple.

#40 2 years ago

If I ever got out, it would be because of Boob.

No question.

#41 2 years ago

I will say that my experience with my Heighway/Alien pre-order & refund has dampened my enthusiasm for new releases, that's for sure. Especially when quality issues & incomplete code still remains. And the primary fact that manufactures prices have just gotten so ridiculous. Makes you step back & say really...WTF am I doing?

Quoted from DCFAN:

There are a lot of shooting stars in this hobby. They start off like a rocket on the launch pad and buy and sell games frequently and then they realize they are chasing a never ending buzz that gets less and less each time while burning cash year after year.

This is so true.

#42 2 years ago

Hey all jokeing aside boob is a reason some people stay on pinside. There always has to be that one friend in a group that everyone makes fun of. And he is really good at it

#43 2 years ago

I've seen a lot of people come into the hobby, go nuts buying a lot of games and going to tons of shows, and then a year or two later they're totally out of the hobby. Sometimes they sell off their games, and sometimes they just have them sitting dormant in their basement.

I think for people who come in from a collector's angle rather than a player's angle can just one day realize that they've collected what they want and the thrill of the chase is gone. For those who really love to play, and it's not just a flavor of the month obsession, they stick around.

#44 2 years ago

The blatant money grab coupled with deteriorating quality control, rushed manufacturing, and a refusal to finish code in a reasonable amount of time caused me to lose interest and quit collecting. I've since moved on to a FAR more expensive hobby.

A lack of sufficient revenue caused me to pull back as an operator. I'll still buy a licensed pro if I think it will earn, but so far AS has been an earnings dud. I sure hope Star Wars earns better.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from ExtremePinball:

AS has been an earnings dud. I sure hope Star Wars earns better.

If Star Wars doesn't earn, time to find a new location! Hard to imagine a theme better tuned to bring in new/casual players.

Quoted from ExtremePinball:

I've since moved on to a FAR more expensive hobby.

Doh!

#46 2 years ago

I played my first game in 2 months just now. I had even considered selling off all my games (no whysnow, not for sale!) I started soing restorations and repairs for a guy on the side, and it kind of killed the hobby. It became a job, and im falling behind on my own repairs. So, i probably will stop doing restorations soon and just go back to enjoying it. Hard to justify a very expensive collection that never gets played, start to think of everything you could pay off with that money! I better go play another game and make it all worthwhile!

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

(no whysnow, not for sale!)

lol

I checked, nothing on my current list

#48 2 years ago

There's been a "boom" period of pinball and home ownership since around 2011. 6 years is a reasonably long time, people will come and people will go.

All we can hope is the ones coming still outnumber the ones leaving. But ones will be leaving, absolutely, for all their own reasons, just like any hobby.

#49 2 years ago

I think some people leave the hobby because they sent off 1000s of $$ for their dream theme games and ended up with nothing to play.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

lol
    I checked, nothing on my current list

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.95
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 149.00
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 95.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 18.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Electronics
    TheDudeMods
    $ 214.99
    $ 320.00
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 362 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside