(Topic ID: 245135)

Why do people hide their collections on pinside?

By jeffgoldstein2

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KIDS (resized).jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

When I joined Pinside over 8 years ago I don't remember this being a thing but recently it seems like more and more people hide their pinball collections on their profile page and I am just curious the reasoning.

#2 4 years ago

Keep people from stalking them I suppose. On the less creepy side, if someone has a game another wants, it could be tempting to send an unwanted message to sell.

#3 4 years ago

Because they get tired of people asking if their games are for sale

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Hey Scott, do you want to sell me your WH2O?

#6 4 years ago

Damn Stalkers make it harder for everyone else to try to strike deals!

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Never get tired of it, kinda flattering really. Probably only get about 4-5 a year though I'm guessing. Probably just means I don't have good taste in pins......LOL.

John

#8 4 years ago

Don't know, but maybe because they constantly criticize other pinballs
    And don't want you to know what they have .

Or maybe the want the security like someone will steal them or kidnap them and demand pinballs for ransom.

#9 4 years ago

The people i know who did it were those who wanted it to bother you that you didnt know what they had. Like “don’t you wish you could know”. Haha.

I generally think most don’t give a shit. I know i don’t care what others have and i’ve felt that way when i owned 1 or what i have today. The only messages i get to ask if i’ll sell a machine is via Pinball Owners. But I’m Canadian so not only would i allow you to know my collection, i’d invite you over to play and apologize if you didn’t win lmao.

#10 4 years ago

99% of the Pinsiders on Pinside are fantastic. This is what the hobby is all about, being welcomed into peoples homes and arcades, sharing plenty of different pinball machines, sharing plenty of stories, plenty of fun, good times and enjoying pinball.

!% can work out where you live, would steal from you, are jealous and give you a hard time.

#11 4 years ago

This is a SUPER easy one.

I had a "collection" listed for about 2 weeks. It was very incomplete and out of date, and including a note pointing that out; it was just to show some of what my general interests were.

Immediately, people started trying to use my "collection" against me, with countless moronic posts including language like "Oh of COURSE you don't like WOZ, you only have EMs!" and the like.

That was enough to convince me listing a collection is completely pointless. It's nothing but low hanging fruit for people looking to pick fights, and besides, it's really nobody's business anyway.

#12 4 years ago

Yeah I personally can't stand when people don't post their collections and especially don't post the general area where you live. Stop hiding behind your keyboard. It's childish in my opinion. If your going to talk a lot of smack then you should be prepared to defend yourself.

#13 4 years ago

I like to keep track of all the games I’ve owned and keep a good list. When I owned a game and I was working on a ColorDMD I would hide my collection so nobody could ruin my reveal... lately I’ve just borrowed pins to do the ColorDMD so no need to hide...

#14 4 years ago

I have my collection public. I had a Wild Card EM that someone offered on without it being for sale. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse, $1500 for a machine I paid $600 for. It's not always a bad thing. I did get an offer for it about once a week, while kind of annoying, not bad. Although the previous high offer was $1,100 and quite tempting, it's a classic.

#15 4 years ago

I find it annoying too, and I never get PMs asking to buy my junk. Please come buy it :b I have too many projects

I like seeing what everyone owns, and when I notice they have interesting games similar to my tastes I’m even more interested in what they have to say. Also if someone has EMs then I generally can assume they probably know what they’re talking about. A lot of the time if they have 1 or 2 games you can also get a feel for if the person is casual or serious.
    It’s definitely a quick and easy way to make a judgement, of course it’s more of a guideline because plenty of people are exceptions to the rule!

#16 4 years ago
    KIDS (resized).jpgKIDS (resized).jpg
    #17 4 years ago

Proudly display mine. I think it gives you some insight into what a persons tastes are. Pretty harmless in my opinion.

I don't often get messages looking to sell, but in the past, it has led to pleasant, easy sales. I have not had it used against me for insults, but I am not mucking it up often enough to make people have reason to, generally.

I find it flattering when someone asks to sell, and "no" is pretty quick and easy to respond with if I don't have the desire.

#18 4 years ago

Levi hit the nail on the head. Some Pinside users resort to picking out a game in your collection to use as a way to somehow attempt to discredit your point of view. I've had a couple idiots proclaim that since I own a Motordome, that somehow my point of view on an entirely unrelated subject is invalid. It is more common to see this kind of validation used against peoples game ratings, but it does happen with collections from time to time as well. I say most of these folks have tiny bippers and are overcompensating.

What is funny is I do get the occasional person asking to sell one of my games to them...and guess which one has 3x as many inquiries on it over the others? Waterworld. Nope, not the 1002 unit semi-rare Torpedo Alley....they want the Gottlieb game Pinside loves to rag on.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is a SUPER easy one.

Yah, I have to 2nd this too.
    The only reason in 6 years I've been tempted to hide mine.

#20 4 years ago

I could care less what other people think about the games I own.
    I like the games I own and if they don't, who cares.
    For me its a way to keep track of the games I have sort of like a master list.
    I also collect arcade games and EM games and keep an updated list on KLOV.

#21 4 years ago

I was just checking my settings, it says the pins I own is available to anyone above the 'apprentice level'.

What does that mean? How many levels are there? How do you increase your level? I searched pinside and I couldn't find any info.

Thanks!

#22 4 years ago

Is my collection even visisble? Because Ive never had one offer or email to buy a pin. All of my collection isnt even listed, there are 4 that are not. Thats because i havent bugged the mods to ad a prototype to the games list.
    I also feel of I were to get a pm i would just say no Thank You, not hard to be friendly and gracious for the request or offer.
    Besides, my games are really expensive now.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Yeah I personally can't stand when people don't post their collections and especially don't post the general area where you live. Stop hiding behind your keyboard. It's childish in my opinion. If your going to talk a lot of smack then you should be prepared to defend yourself.

Childish as getting upset that people don't bother to post their pinball collections?!

That's an odd take.

Besides, I buy and sell an average of 4 games a month. Seems pointless and annoying to try to keep that up to date just so mouth breathers can say "yeah but you like HOOK!!!" just because I bought one for $800 and sold it in a week.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Is my collection even visisble?

Is visisble. I just snooped. Nobody wants your games, that's all!

Is the White Water for sale?

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Is visisble. I just snooped. Nobody wants your games, that's all!
    Is the White Water for sale?

Sure, the ball lock optos are having problems, its need a small shop job. Some cabinet fade, few nicks and bumps. Playfield is a 9. Original topper. Hows 7 grand?
    See, expensive, Thank you very much for asking.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Immediately, people started trying to use my "collection" against me, with countless moronic posts including language like "Oh of COURSE you don't like WOZ, you only have EMs!" and the like.

Quoted from kklank:

Why do people have to "defend" themselves with pins they own? I've seen people come under personal attacks for saying something negative about an A title game when they only own B or C titles. That to me is childish and immature. Your pins don't define who you are or what opinion you can have on pinball.

#27 4 years ago

Ahh, this thread reminds me that I haven't changed the batteries in my 1974 Sky Jump in 1436 days.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's nothing but low hanging fruit for people looking to pick fights, and besides, it's really nobody's business anyway.

In my defense I use it against dipshits in the themewars debates.

#29 4 years ago

I hate when people hide their collections. It's like this kid who sat next to me in class once. He would always cover his answers like a real sissy.

#30 4 years ago

Most probably hide it because they don't want people asking if stuff is for sale. I leave mine up as i usually don't get many people asking and you never know some one might have a good tempting offer to consider.

#31 4 years ago

Mine is hidden because I would get a PM every 2 weeks asking if something is for sale (mostly the same couple of games over and over). Plus it's no ones business what I own or what I have spent on pins. Why would anyone care what my collection is anyway unless they are in my area and play some at my house. Otherwise I don't see how anyone knowing what I own is a positive in anyway shape or form. Nothing personal, but I don't own pins for other people.

#32 4 years ago

I got nothing to hide. If people want to "cold call" me for a possible trade/buy that's cool. Everything has a price. Sometimes people will accuse others of "Price pumping" a title or something.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

I got nothing to hide.

You say this every time and yet you still own a SW:e1 you bastard!!!

#34 4 years ago

Opportunity can knock at your door anytime. Everything I own is for sale at the right price. That being said I do not have any plans to sell any of my games.

#35 4 years ago

All of my collection isnt even listed, there are 4 that are not. Thats because i havent bugged the mods to ad a prototype to the games list.

Quoted from TractorDoc:

Is visisble. I just snooped.

I looked too! Nice collection.

I look at the collections of other pinsiders and show mine - Nice to share with people who know/care about pinball.

#36 4 years ago

As much as I like getting spammed by random trolls from the internet...

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Four days ago I got a PM with no subject, entire body of the message was "sell me centaur?" First time it ever happened to me, but I could see it being a recurring annoyance to those with large and/or enviable collections.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Four days ago I got a PM with no subject, entire body of the message was "sell me centaur?"

Well....?

#39 4 years ago

I consider my collection good, not sure I’d call it enviable. But I’ve only one request in five years to sell a pin. Now, on the other hand, many of my pins I’ve purchased from other pinsiders after a friendly exchange of PMs.

#40 4 years ago

I've had several successful deals that were a direct result of someone reaching out to me because they saw a game in my collection that they wanted and vice-versa. It also makes it really easy when someone is trying to trade a game. I'll just say to them, "Look at my collection and let me know if there is anything that appeals to you trade-wise".

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It also makes it really easy when someone is trying to trade a game. I'll just say to them, "Look at my collection and let me know if there is anything that appeals to you trade-wise".

Exactly.

#42 4 years ago

My favorite are the people that list a game in the classified for trade, offer no indication of where they live or what they are looking for and then have a hidden wishlist.

I haven't experienced any of the issues mentioned here, except people wanting to buy my Alien Star. On the contrary, I've gotten some PMs from people knowing what games I have and asking for help or any spare parts I have lying around. I'm always happy to help if I can.

#43 4 years ago

Is my collection even visisble? Because Ive never had one offer or email to buy a pin

Same here.. No one has ever asked me if my games are for sale. Then again, I live in the middle of no-where, so I have a hard time selling games.

#44 4 years ago

Hiding the pin collections and pin reviews doesn't bother me. It's their preference. But for those that do share that info, I can tell if I should value their opinion. If someone has all EM's and rates all of the new pins (in general) really low, then they have a different pinball interest than me - not that there is anything wrong with that. Others that have similar types of pins and rate pins similar to me, I do value their opinions more than others. The typical trolls and thread bullies usually don't show their collection so that they don't have to get defensive about it. You will see that often.

I only had one person ask if one of my pins was for sale - 2 months after I got it and wasn't ready to part with it yet. I haven't sold a pin yet ... guess I'm currently still a pinball hoarder. I got room for two more, then I will need to sell one to buy one.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Same here.. No one has ever asked me if my games are for sale. Then again, I live in the middle of no-where, so I have a hard time selling games.

Tehachapi is awesome... I visited the loop there a few years ago. Beautiful country!

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Also the old "well you have this game in your collection so your opinion of games isnt valid" bs. Had that many times.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I hate when people hide their collections. It's like this kid who sat next to me in class once. He would always cover his answers like a real sissy.

From the classic richard dreyfus movie that most people havent seen..Let it Ride!
    Great movie especially if you have ever been to a thoroughbred racetrack.

#48 4 years ago

What does bother me is public pinball locations not keeping their pinball inventory current on the "pinball map". I have updated a few of those in the past when a local show was coming up so that others would know what pinball locations had to play. When I travel and want to go play some pins, it's annoying/disappointing to go there and find out that they don't have some of those pins anymore.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from lowbeau67:

From the classic richard dreyfus movie that most people havent seen..Let it Ride!
    Great movie especially if you have ever been to a thoroughbred racetrack.

Yes!!! I'm so glad someone recognized the quote. Let it Ride is easily my favorite movie. And you're right, most people have never even heard of it. When I was younger, my friends and I pretty much lived at the track. I can't tell you how many characters we encountered that were just as weird and quirky as those in the movie.

#50 4 years ago

I think I’m most cases people just want privacy. A lot of our lives are broadcast on social media, even here. Keeping something to yourself is nice these days.

I also think those that are saying they don’t want to be bothered by people trying to buy their pins are lying to themselves. Is it such a hassle getting an email every few weeks (and I’m sure it doesn’t happen that often) from someone to buy a pin from you? Give me a break.

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-hide-their-collections-on-pinside?hl=brewinbombers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.