(Topic ID: 245135)

Why do people hide their collections on pinside?

By jeffgoldstein2

11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

KIDS (resized).jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 months ago

I keep my collection about 80% hidden.

Largely because one guy from N IL was harassing me to sell him centaur. I got tired of his crazy shit and just opted to reduce what is visible.

#52 11 months ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Largely because one guy from N IL was harassing me to sell him centaur.

Well....?

#53 11 months ago

Not looking for this to happen but no one has contacted me about any of my games and if I would sell them (don't get any ideas).

It tells me I have little in the way of high demand or unique pins.

I'm good with that, I mostly buy and hold.

#54 11 months ago

If/when I ever get the white-top CPR playfield swapped into my Centaur, I'm gonna take it to Expo and put $10k on it as a joke. Sad thing is I might actually get it.

#55 11 months ago

Personal collection is listed.

The machines set aside for commercial resale aren't.

Just the way things have to be.

#56 11 months ago

I still have centaur. NFS

#57 11 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

If/when I ever get the white-top CPR playfield swapped into my Centaur, I'm gonna take it to Expo and put $10k on it as a joke. Sad thing is I might actually get it.

Nah, you gotta bring it to PATZ to sit it next to my blacked out version! 20K for the pair!

#58 11 months ago

I have had the pleasure of meeting several fellow pinsiders due to my listed collection and hometown. I feel that this is generally what online forums are for. I haven't had any issues.

#59 11 months ago

Isn't the whole point to hide your collection from your wife?

#60 11 months ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

I was just checking my settings, it says the pins I own is available to anyone above the 'apprentice level'.
    What does that mean? How many levels are there? How do you increase your level?

Sorry. Can't answer your questions because you don't have high enough level clearance.

Quoted from pinsanity:

Personal collection is listed. The machines set aside for commercial resale aren't.

We'd cut you some slack if you didn't list any of your collection, 'cause who has time to even list that many games?

Quoted from jbovenzi:

Isn't the whole point to hide your collection from your wife?

So only the guys who's wives never look at Pinside should risk listing their collections?

Looking at my pin collection may be confusing, since I have A-list games I deliberately sought out and a few less desirable that were just opportunity buys. I used to get inquiries about my BBB, but the rumors of it being remade by PPS/CGC have stopped that.

#61 11 months ago

Because it Ain’t that great!

#62 11 months ago

I host pinball league so my collection being public isn't that big of a deal...most of the local pinball folks have played at my location because non league players can also come on league nights....and there are usually a few of them. My HUO games get a lot of play.
    Besides, what is the point of having a collection of pinball machines if you don't want to share it with the other pinball folk in the community?

#63 11 months ago
    Quoted from indybru:

...no one has contacted me about any of my games and if I would sell them (don't get any ideas). It tells me I have little in the way of high demand or unique pins.

indybru , your collection looks fine to me!

Quoted from Electrocute:

Because it [BBB] Ain’t that great!

Great game! I have one and hope it gets remade so others can enjoy. My original will stay in my collection.

#64 11 months ago

I have had a couple of people asking if some of my pins are for sale.

I don’t mind. I keep them on file as a potential customer to contact if I ever do decide to sell.

I can answer a PM without any hassle so I just try to be nice.

#65 11 months ago

It’s nice to find a pinsider who is local and what they own. Several times I’ve gotten a chance to play something that I was considering to buy and it was nice to meet these other kooks like me who love pinball.

#66 11 months ago
    Quoted from indybru:

Not looking for this to happen but no one has contacted me about any of my games and if I would sell them (don't get any ideas).
    It tells me I have little in the way of high demand or unique pins.
    I'm good with that, I mostly buy and hold.

You have a great collection! There are 3 games in there that I would really love to own, but you are safe since you are very far from me

#67 11 months ago

I don’t list my machines because I don’t currently own any. But I’ll let you think I have a collection of 20

#68 11 months ago
    Quoted from midcoastsurf:

...But I’ll let you think I have a collection of 20

I wonder if some people actually do that?

#69 11 months ago

I share my collection. I don't care! No one has inquired on my Vacation America, yet! But I do not post often enough for people to see that I have this precious machine.

#70 11 months ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Immediately, people started trying to use my "collection" against me, with countless moronic posts including language like "Oh of COURSE you don't like WOZ, you only have EMs!" and the like.
    That was enough to convince me listing a collection is completely pointless. It's nothing but low hanging fruit for people looking to pick fights, and besides, it's really nobody's business anyway.

crazylevi simply nailed this.

There is a member on Pinside (who’s name I will not disclose or confirm) that went absolutely bonkers on Robin and the mod team earlier this year in a feedback thread saying he shouldn’t be moderated by any moderator who owned a Metallica and that if we owned a Metallica we were biased against him and “all just protecting our investment” by silencing his trolling...yadda, yadda, yadda...

No one on the mod team “protects their investment” through moderation...the accusation was simply absurd...but we are more likely to participate in and follow threads on the games we own for reasons that should be self explanatory. Nevertheless, I’ve been tempted to pull my collection after that user’s meltdown on moderators who owned a Metallica (which is most of us).

#71 11 months ago

I honestly don't feel the need to post my collection. I'm weird with privacy things, I.e. I don't like my picture taken, I've never been on facebook, I like to use cash, etc. That and it changes and it really doesn't interest me to flaunt my possessions.

#72 11 months ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

That and it changes and it really doesn't interest me to flaunt my possessions.

Quoted from PersonX99:

Besides, what is the point of having a collection of pinball machines if you don't want to share it with the other pinball folk in the community?

These are really two fundamentally different points of view. Some feel showing what you have is flaunting while others feel it is sharing. I believe most people fall into the latter camp and are sharing when they list their collection.

#73 11 months ago

I think the worst is when someone contacts you about a game you have. You give them a price, they ask for more photos. Then they want more photos. Then you both agree to the terms -- then they hem and haw... then they say thanks but no thanks.

It happens.

Thanks for reminding me. Now I'm off to delete my collection

#74 11 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

There is a member on Pinside (who’s name I will not disclose or confirm) that went absolutely bonkers on Robin and the mod team earlier this year in a feedback thread saying he shouldn’t be moderated by any moderator who owned a Metallica and that if we owned a Metallica we were biased against him and “all just protecting our investment” by silencing his trolling...yadda, yadda, yadda...

Had a board member try and discredit & disqualify my opinion based on my game reviews (of an unrelated pin!) I had taken the time to do.

You want an honest discussion with give and take, great but that isn't happening here. Too many vocal people either financially or emotionally invested in their pins regardless of shortcomings to have an honest discussion.

#75 11 months ago

Keep in mind, there are some privacy settings for collections:

https://pinside.com/pinball/my-pinside/settings#privacy

Public, members only, following, mutual following, or completely private.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 50.00
    Lighting - Led
    Rock Custom Pinball
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 9.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 35.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Habos Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 8,000.00
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 53.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside