wms_ninesisters2s.jpg
image-A4.jpg
Playfield 9 sisters .jpg
nine sisters.jpg
Tugger.jpg
i am a people person.gif
popcorn.gif
colonel sanders.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#136 9 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

The games build quality is quite outstanding.
As for the game itself I find this is the only game I have ever had in my collection that I do not yearn to play much at all.
Its quite boring for me.
It doesn't even come close to TZ.
But each to their own of course. We ALL like different games.

Ditto. It comes down to not enough satisfying shots which makes for boring gameplay.

#211 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't hate WOZ, but I'd like more innovative & interactive toys in a widebody game.

That house sure interacts with the ball. So does the witch behind her glass cage. That crystal ball - wow, the ball interaction, there...wooo! Bumper caps that look like clay trees...yeehaw! So what's left...a door with a saucer behind it.....and a track magnet with a flat plastic monkey on it.
You have to realize why Rob and others give you grief for your constant copy/paste toy schtick....it doesn't hold water. There are no innovate interactive toys....which is fine, you don't need them for a game to be good - but it's borderline disingenuous to keep going on and on about WOZ's great toys.

Nail on the head. None of the WOZ toys are truly interactive. I want to bash the witch like Champion Pub boxer. I want to spin the house like the genies lamp on TOTAN. I suppose bashing the witch castle doors is slightly interactive. Only one ramp that is just not satisfying to make. Sorry but after owning this game for a year now I really wanted to like it but honestly I'm just waiting for the light board fix to sell it.

#466 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

If I may step into the fray for a minute...

Maybe part of the problem is that there's SO MUCH to do it's a little difficult to convey it via the lights. Personally, I have NFI how I'd convey hurryups running when there's a lot of multiballs going at once with standard lights.
But, in general, I guess I don't really understand the argument. The lights are cycling next to the rollovers, when you complete one, LOCK lights on the ramp.

I know there's little you can do about the layout and two upper play fields but as far as coding....

Too many cycling lights. When everything is blinking, it makes it difficult to track anything. Lights off, no cycling except in attract mode. Lights lit solid when awarded would be a great option in settings. One Blinking light at a time only when that specific shot should take precedence next in a mode or multiball. During fireball frenzy pulsing blue is fine but not pulsing orangish with tinge of blue. Half the time I have to pause and figure out which shot to hit because the blue looks sort of orange and the orange looks sort of blue. These diamond inserts are also just too small to track easily in a sea of other small blinking and pulsing inserts.

HOADC is so low scoring compared to the risk of pursuing it or trying to set it up for bigger points that it is ignored. If you miss the shot there is a very good chance of a TOTO drain. More points and a big payoff mode is something it desperately needs. And if you're trying to get, say an orange horse to complete all one color, then there won't be an orange horse on the play field to shoot for.

Mega jackpot in rescue multiball is insanely too difficult. With factory out lanes, the end of ball save modes somewhat compensate for all the drains along with some good nudging during normal play. Where it becomes a major issue, is trying to keep a multiball going when you don't get a ball save and too much is going on otherwise to concentrate on nudging the ball out of the outlanes.

Too many things going on at once. All the stacking is overkill. Stern has got the stacking down with distinct modes that can be stacked and what order they must be started in order to stack. Stacking everything at once makes for a lot of counter productivity. At the very least, fireball frenzy should not be a stackable mode.

Munchkin Modes- I have no idea what's going on. Lots of pretty lights.

Hurry ups- worth so little, is there any "secret stash" ending that I have yet to see?

Call outs- more from movie actors, less from voice actors. They sound absolutely nothing like the actors. "Toto, you're back". Nix it and all others. The little background scream when Dorothy is captured, WTF?

I've probably killed the witch around 30 times or so, and SOTR is not gonna happen, so maybe a there and back again wizard mode somewhere in between?

#501 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Yeah, don't be cheap and use the voiceover people. We want you to get the *original* actors behind the mic to do the callouts!!

You can get many call outs directly from the film. For the pinball specific call outs, if they can't get a decent VoiceOver for a character ( and let's face it, they can't), then just have a narrator. Maybe they can hire Steve Ritchie...."PLAY BETTER!"

1 week later
#711 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Why not just create a dedicated "WOZ Hate Fan Club" thread? That way it can be negative comments all day, everyday.

Someone did, and you crapped all over it.

#714 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Nope, wrong again. I was just surprised that you would down vote the comment I made in a WOZ code update thread where I thanked Keith.
Also I didn't mention anything about thumbs up / down in that post...

Oops, I accidentally thumbed down your post thanking Keith for the WOZ code update. Oh well.

#720 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You call me pathetic but I'm not the one sending harassing PM's on top what you posting here to me...

I hear ya man. Centerflank sent me a pm after my college team lost to his college team. Something about crying in my wheaties. I was devastated for months.

#728 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's silly for us to continue this argument over a pinball machine of all things. I don't want to do it anymore. I apologize for the part I played in it and will exit this thread for good.

So to end this thread......not enough satisfying shots. Shave and a haircut.......

#743 9 years ago

The toys in WOZ are just not very interactive and there is only one ramp. The upper right flipper has nothing to shoot for.
Shave and a haircut......

2 years later
#891 7 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Two years later, WoZ is now a classic. It is considered to be a cornerstone in a lot of collections. Not saying that Jack was perfect during this journey, but he did end up putting out one hell of a machine.

Sorry no. Still find it boring with no fulfilling shots.

1 week later
#924 7 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Ill say woz is boring after youve had it for a while just as quick as the next guy, but have you even PLAYED the game? The freaking witch kill shot is CRAZY satisfying. Such a hard sequence.

Yes. I owned it for about a year and a half. Sold Twilight Zone, which I owned for over 10 years, to buy it. It never got much better even after the final big code drop. When Keith said the code was essentially conplete and it still was lame then I was out. Killed witch countless times and finished every objective except Mega Jackpot. Factory settings as all my games are set up. Love TWD premium that took its spot.

#947 7 years ago

Well I enjoy the the theme. Used to love watching on Tv every year with the whole family. That and Pippi Longstocking came on once a year. Unfortunately Woz just isnt fun to me. Now if they make a kick ass Pippi themed pin, I am all over it.

#964 7 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

- dim GI
- retina burning inserts
- overuse of color changing
- no flashers
- rollover buttons light locks
- ear piercing sounds
- gazillion stand-up targets, one ramp
- boring, clunky layout
- stop & go play
- upper playfields not fun
- theme
Off the top of my head.

nailed it. add horrible repetitive callouts and bad voiceover actors

#984 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Now everytime I see a WoZ, I end up craving a Big Mac. And I just can't do that to myself.

Yep. I haven't had McDonalds since the great food poisoning incident of 1992. My advice- never eat at an all-you-can eat McDonalds.

#990 7 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Thread is called "Why Do People Hate WoZ," yet Jackobites downvote people who answer that exact question calmly with specifics.

Yep. And they can't stand it when someone like me criticizes WOZ, because they can't point to ulterior motives. I'm not a Stern fanboy, I want Jack and JJP to succeed, And I am a past and potentially future customer.
I think Jack just made the mistake of trying to out Twilight Zone, Twilight Zone. He started with the idea of making a full featured, solidly built game in contrast to Stern's increasingly cost cutting model. If you remember, the WOZ whitewood was in a TZ cabinet. They could have used a Popeye or Road Show cabinet, or at least taken the decals off, but it was no accident that they chose a TZ cabinet. I could almost picture the conversation where Jack says "TZ has one upper playfield, we'll put two in WOZ! TZ has 4 flippers, we'll put 6 in WOZ! TZ is a fun game, we'll put double the fun in WOZ!"
Now can we retire this thread until next year.

#991 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Wasn't that Jack in the Box? After that you could get four tacos for 99 cents.

Yep. Several Ecoli deaths from undercooking their patties. My friend used to go order at the drive thru and ask for a "murder burger and fries, I mean Jumbo Jack and fries". He thought it was funny, I told him I hope he likes extra spit with that. They even came out with a steak if you remember. Whose brilliant call was that?But I digress. I was referring to my personal experience in Tucson where they had an all you can eat McDonalds for $3.99

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 91.00
$ 16.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vicjw66.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-hate-woz?tu=vicjw66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.