wms_ninesisters2s.jpg
image-A4.jpg
Playfield 9 sisters .jpg
nine sisters.jpg
Tugger.jpg
i am a people person.gif
popcorn.gif
colonel sanders.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 9 years ago

I have played it a few times, I just couldn't get into it. I don't mind the theme, but I don't like upper playfields in pinball. I have ACDC premium with the lower PF and don't mind that as much, but mini sub or raised playfields do not play like regular pinball, the shots are short and not a lot to aim for. However on ACDC at least it does not take up any real estate since that area is empty on most games. So in effect you still have a full game area to play with up top.

Woz has not one but two upper playfields to contend with. That's a big drawback for me.

One ramp is a big drawback for me, I don't have any games with one ramp, if given the choice between one ramp or 2 or 3 I'd prefer more ramps. Maybe the upper playfields took away to much area to allow multiple ramps?

I don't think the large LCD area is well used. I mean it's fine, but I think in a few years it will be surpassed in many ways by the code or utilization of this technology.

I didn't like TSPP either, so maybe it's just my taste in games, but it just didn't do it for me.

Also, the lack of GI on such a bright game is bad, and for them not to address this on later made games shows they don't care.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from cheezywhiz:

- Gaping wide outlanes (especially the left) that gobble up balls -- often mere seconds after launching. They are somehow justified with a post-drain mini game (no place like home / toto) to save your ball. I feel like I'm spending more time trying to save my lost ball than actually making progress in the game. Very frustrating.

very true, I played the game initially on a prototype (but still paid game at an arcade) and there didn't seem to be any toto ball save and the state fair mini game (Ugg), I'd rather pull my teeth out than play a minigame. This ranks up there with mini playfields. It's not pinball, it's a different game, mini playfield, mini game. I feel like playing a minigame or smaller version of pinball I'll do that on an Ipad. I have a 400 lb pinball machine, I don't want to have all these marginal games to distract me.

I'm the same way with video modes or with backbox ping pong ball type games in a pinball machine. Just f-all that and let me play pinball.

The drain spots are very large and the side quests don't make up for that. However I do see that Toto save is cool and not a bad thing to have once I played it on the newer game, but still detest the state fair type side game.

#43 9 years ago

I have a friend who has one, he says wow it's such a good deal, it's got a high BOM cost for a not so high price. I'm like so what? I don't care if a game has a high BOM cost or low BOM cost, I care about if it's fun to play. I can see Tron is lower cost to make, it's got less gee-gaws or opening doors or tree pop bumpers or spinning houses with legs etc.. But to me, I don't care about the BOM, I care about the gameplay.

#97 9 years ago

I don't hate Woz, just not my type of game.

1 week later
#583 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Some new games have one magnet, WOZ has 5. Some new games have one mini playfield, WOZ has two. WOZ brought higher prices because Stern thought they could pull a fast one on everyone and say "Hey, JJP is charging $7.5k for their LE's so lets do the same"!
The problem is Stern didn't innovate and include an LCD, they didn't offer direct print cabinets with unique side art on both sides, they didn't make a wide body game with more features, they didn't include a headphone jack and they didn't include a topper.
For $7.5k-$8k you get the most for your buck by far with a JJP game. They are the only company today making pinball machines worth those prices in my opinion. I say that as a fan of Stern in hope that they will offer more in their games at the higher price points.

While I do agree with some of what you say such as Stern could put better speakers maybe stereo and headphone jacks would be great. And it's beyond horrible that Stern puts peg legs instead of playfield supports. I will give you that.

But I disagree in when you say several upper playfields are better than no upper playfields. Some people don't like playing on such small real estates. Like TZ is cool with an upper PF and Shadow but in many instances to me, upper PF are a complete and utter waste (not a plus), if you argue 2 upper PF is better than one or none than why not 3 or 4 or more?

You say some Stern games have 1 magnet or no magnets as if just putting magnets in a game makes it superior.

You say Widebody is better, but many would disagree. I can think of 2-3 great Widebody pins. But a lot of people seem to think WB is not superior, I mean wasn't Popeye Saves the world also WB but that did not make it a great game. Just saying WoZ has a certain feature does not mean its a great pin. I'm not saying it's a bad pin but you could put 7 magnets and 8 toys and 2 upper PF in a WB cabinet with the best art in the world and it might not make it the best pinball in the world.

#623 9 years ago

PanzerFreak has convinced me, I love WoZ, I love toys, magnets and WoZ.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 91.00
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 24.50
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-hate-woz?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.