wms_ninesisters2s.jpg
image-A4.jpg
Playfield 9 sisters .jpg
nine sisters.jpg
Tugger.jpg
i am a people person.gif
popcorn.gif
colonel sanders.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#164 9 years ago

It's deffinatly a shooters game. If you want to mindlessly shoot ramps and orbits than this game is not for you, you can do that on this game, it just won't get you anywhere. Holy crap is the game deep, I think this is a main reason why people don't like it. You can't just bang bang bang and knock out a good game, it takes some skill and a lot of thought which most people dont want to have to think. Some of the shots are really hard also, a lot of people here seem to like spoon fed shots (ie. "satisfying shots"). It's deffinatly not a game for everyone.

As for the theme, I think it's awesome. Freakn timeless...

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

As a disclaimer I have not played 3.0 code yet, and hardly can claim to be a WoZ master.
I have nothing against hard games. In fact I pass on buying most games for being too easy (i.e. games get too samey) or too long playing.
But WoZ takes a lot of this to an extreme, much of what you describe most people would categorize as not fun. It seems there is all stick, very little carrot.
There is no gimme multiball, cool mode that is easy to start etc... Without the LCD display and flashy playfield lights to draw in players like flies, this game would be DOA. Obviously shiny stuff matters a lot based on earnings reports, but this game is more TZ than AF in terms of how it greets players.
And I don't think that is something a company should be shooting for in 2014.

ECMB would be your gimme multiball, it pretty easy to get. The rest of the game is pretty damn difficult no matter how you slice it. It's got people closeing up their outlanes, making it easy to get extra balls, playing it in five ball, maxing out ball save, and God knows what other adjustments to help them get farther in the game. I plan to do none the sort, so far playing stock factory settings and I intend to keep it that way. The carrot is there but you are going to have to think a little and work towards it. Like I said, that's not something the average person wants to do when they approach a game. I think they did a pretty good job appealing to both players and nonplayers. The average person can approach the game, knock the ball around and feel like they accomplished something, at the same time there is plenty of depth and skill required shots to keep the more hard core players happy.

Christ I can remember people begging for a ball save feature after a crystal ball mode triggered (weak flippers? No hold?..don't remember), really? More evidence of people wanting to be spoon fed. How about paying attention and being ready...

Edit: I might.....might enable a timed ball save, just to eliminate a quick drain immediately after a plunge.

#334 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

In all honesty, the thing only thing I truly hate about the game is the way it was sold and delivered.

Uh oh... A little truth shines through.

This is another reason why people relentlessly follow these threads even when they do not or chose not to own the game. People got so but hurt over waiting so long, and rightfully so. On the other hand if you really believed Jack when he said the game would be delivered around Christmas of 2011, then you had some pretty high hope. I knew that dates they were giving me we not going to happen. That's why I didn't bug them much.

I think Jack rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and this is why you have what you have here. I mean, who the hell follows a game they don't like? I realize in this case here the thread title drew them in but what about all the other threads? Maybe it goes back to what was stated earlier in this thread by one poster.

#336 9 years ago

Empty back glass..

Another ridiculous argument. People talk as if there is absolutely nothing on the back glass. What the hell year are half you guys living in? 1965?

Times change, sometimes we don't like it, but learn to live with it. It happens with everything all around you every day.

#339 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I think vid was joking

Funny

#442 9 years ago

If you can't figure out what to shoot for on woz then I'm afraid there is no hope for you

#447 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

not sure what version software is on the one I played recently, before that I put quite a few plays on one of those red side rail LE's at IAAPA last year
sure AC/DC is hard to score well if you don't know what you are doing, but if you just want to play the game it makes it obvious when you select a song, hey shoot here... WOZ doesn't do that, it expects you to read all this stuff on the LCD and such, and I don't want to do that... at all.. I just want to play the game... not necessarily be good at it, just shoot some stuff, maybe qualify a multiball...
like the RESCUE targets, how should I know that I have to hit those other targets? when you are in the mini PF I think all the other inserts on the main PF are off right? so it just leaves me there clueless to what I am doing just hitting targets over and over getting virtual locks I don't need... again, bad conveyance...
listen I don't think Stern does a much better job than JJP when it comes to this stuff.... but it is better

this is odd because my five year old just about started multiball, that's pretty much all she does at this stage is just bat the ball around and even she understands very basic things on woz, like how to get multiball

#475 9 years ago

"All the stacking is overkill"

Quoted from PinballHelp:

You're entitled to your wrong opinon.

I've come to the conclusion the game is just too much for some people, which is fine, they can buy a different game.

#507 9 years ago

This is for all the people that complain that they have no idea what to shoot for.

So my five year old.......FIVE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER.......FIVE.....says to me, "daddy, you have to get the cow." So I'm like WTF? I said, "you know where to get the cow?" She says, "yea, pick me up by the side (of the machine)". She then points to the collect shot under the flipper. Not only did she notice there even was a cow, but she knew how to collect it.

#510 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Yet you a pinhead did not know the cow was there so what does this prove.

How do you come to this conclusion? I will admit though that I do not no how to get a cow, not sure what a cow is worth either but I would wager it is pretty special.

#540 9 years ago

I think the LCD screen adds quite a bit to game play, I'm not sure why someone would think it doesn't, or that a DMD is just as informative in an easy to interpret format. The fact that it is broken up into quadrants is even better, though I think most of the old duds here can't take in that much info at one time lol

I will admit it is a lot for me to take in at once, but I will adapt.

#543 9 years ago

P2K is cool, and yea it would have been something to see where it would be today had they kept building them.

#563 9 years ago

At the very basic level I am at with WOZ I already find the LCD useful. I think the argument "well....I don't look at the display anyways" is a bit ridiculous. Obviously you can't look at it all the time, but to say in not so many words that it wouldn't matter whether it was there or not is stupid. There is useful stuff on the damn thing, much more useful than a DMD.

#731 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I dont think JJPs' written policy is much different than most.
However, its this kind of thing that makes one scratch your head:

Original post:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-nib-wozle-7500-huo-transformers-le-autobots-4500-huo-safecracker-8k#postbox
Say what you will about Gary Stern, but Im about 101% sure he would not take the time and go out of his way to crap on someones forsale thread to highlight that it would have no

JJP_PR_Fail_numer 132.JPG 41 KB

Does anyone here realize what Jack is trying to do by making this statement here?

Edit: sorry the pictures don't show in this quote. This quote captured where Jack said warranties on non-authorized distributers will not be covered.

#734 9 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Collect more money by selling a new game , instead of watching one sell that he has already been paid for .
He should warranty it though because it was NIB , the first person to open and play it should get the warranty because they would be the first person to need it (nothing's going to break down while it's sitting unopened and not being used )

Not entirely. He is controlling prices, and making sure any money on the table goes in his pocket. I don't think he is happy at all that people bought games and turned around to sell them for $1000-$2500 more than what they payed for them. It keeps people from buying a handful of games just to turn a profit. If you want to sell games, then get yourself a tax id number, become a distributer and do it right. Not like some f&@king back ally ticket scalper.

Reminds me of ticket scalping.....

#738 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

if he produced games in a timely fashion he wouldn't need to compete with his original customers that are selling. i wouldn't be happy either if failed at delivering games to stop this behavior from happening.

It's not just WOZ, it's just about every LE that is produced.

#791 9 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

The upper right flipper has about 6 things to shoot at. Look back though the thread. Just because there isn't a ramp to shoot up doesn't mean there isn't anything to shoot for. Speaking of that flipper, I don't like that you can't see the ball coming down to it. An upper flipper is already hard enough to get the timing down on. This makes it all the more difficult, but not from a skill standpoint.

There you go right there. Most peoples opinion is, "sh!t the game only has one ramp? The game sucks." There are a ton of people out there that equate the amount of ramps a game has with how fun or good a game is to play. People were flipping their lids when they found out WOZ only had one ramp. I guess for some people they just like to watch the ball roll around some cool pathways, doesn't matter what is actually happening in the game. You know...I defense of this type of person, my mom is like like this. She really doesn't care what is going on in the game, she just likes to flip the ball, and even if she doesn't actually accomplish anything, a long ball time equals a fun good game.

#796 9 years ago

She is, she just likes to kick the ball around and shoot for things, not really so much what is happening when she makes a shot. She is in her early 60's and still plays when she can. That damn lady has more of a life than i do lol.

I will admit it is fun to watch the ball cruise around cool pathways but it ussually doesnt immediatly equal the game being fun. Most know that some of the more simple built games are really fun. I think this is where we have a bunch of older folks gone full circle and back to EM's.

Reminds me, i need to make a trip to the mama's house to make sure all pins are functioning correctly. They have been getting played a lot and i havent been there in a few months. I try to make it there once in a while to check on them.

#838 9 years ago

No one said anything about SR, but there where plenty of upset people when they found out WOZ only had one ramp. I don't have the time to dig up old threads, but they are here. People talked it down before a ball even hit the wood just because it only had one ramp. Maybe someone here would be good enough to explain why?

#840 9 years ago

I see what you are saying Rob, I just can't see how some people wouldn't even give the game a fair shake and play the game before writing it off because it only has one ramp. I have my beliefs of why people like more ramps, I guess maybe I wanted to hear someone else's opinion, mainly from someone how is ramp happy.

#847 9 years ago

That was a cool pic by the way Vid, what game is that?

#850 9 years ago

Ha ha thats funny. Its crazy to see a ramp used so long ago, even if it is just a little cork screw. I wonder why it took so long for games to really adopt ramps as we know them to be today?

#860 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Survival.
Williams was closing down the pinball division if SpaceShuttle was not a hit.
Barry Oursler and Joe Kaminkow thew in everything including the kitchen sink to keep their jobs.
Then came games like Comet and that game was hugely popular with it's 3 crazy ramps.....all downhill from there.

Yea, i havent really studied the progresson of pinball. I mean im pushing 40 and ive been around them since i was very little since our family owned one, but i was not fortunate enough to be able to go to the arcades, and by the time i was, we were into other things. I played very little late in high school since then and even today none of my friends are into pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.95
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinstyle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-hate-woz?tu=pinstyle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.