wms_ninesisters2s.jpg
image-A4.jpg
Playfield 9 sisters .jpg
nine sisters.jpg
Tugger.jpg
i am a people person.gif
popcorn.gif
colonel sanders.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

WOZ LE is a top 3 game all day long. Never had a problem with mine. Love it.

Right on!

WOZ is number one at many locations in earnings. #1 on Play Meter.

The hate on here comes from the same small group of people who have bashed it for months now.

WOZ offers more game, toys, features and depth than any other modern pin in my opinion. Top 5 all day long. JJP hit it out of the park with WOZ. It's the only NIB pin being made today that has enough toys, features and code support to justify a $7,500 price tag.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I don't think people would have hated WOZ if it wasn't for all of Jack's bragging, insulting Gary Stern, and what some would call outright lies.
We will not ship a game with incomplete code.
I think everyone may have a surprise around Christmas.
Batting balls around in a cardboard box
Our games will all have hand drawn artwork.
2nd game is an original theme.
Our games are open source
Ruby

Well to be fair at least the code for WOZ is now complete and offers more depth than any other pin being made today. It's also nice not waiting 6 months to a year for a code update...

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees the irony in a statement touting JJP timeliness.

JJP's timeliness for code is the best in the industry! The game had updates once a month (sometimes two) for nearly a year and now owners hear that another update to polish the game even more is coming. No one is doing code support better than JJP at the moment.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Most games don't need much code update, after being newly released.
Remember where Woz started?

To be fair most games don't have a deep quest based ruleset like WOZ and a similar number of toys and features that requiring coding.

You have a good point about where WOZ started. A lot had to be implemented into the game code wise over the past year as Keith had created a very deep ruleset for the game. 10 months after release though the code is complete and the game has one of the deepest rulesets in pinball. People have waited well over 10 months for other games code to be complete with rulesets that are not as complex.

I'm not saying code support is bad for Stern games as they have gotten a little better at it. I'm thankful for all of the updates ACDC has received as I own a Premium. Just givings props to JJP for their amazing code support for WOZ and open communication regarding code with customers.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Let's see Panzer 10 months for code update vs 3 years for game . Tough pick.

I rather wait 3 years for a game with complete code, with more toys / features that justify its price, then own a game for 3 years, or even two, while being left in the dark wondering when code will be completed. Easy pick. Code brings a game a live and Keith and Ted did an amazing job doing just that with WOZ.

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

To the OP:
-theme kills it for me. I think Hobbit will be the success JJP is hoping for (needs). A more appealing theme on a great pinball platform.
they can argue that the WOZ theme transcends beyond the normal pinhead market, but we're not seeing the sales to back that up (like Mustang appearing in Ford dealerships which are new market sales).

The WOZ theme is timeless and can be enjoyed by anyone at any age. It's been very popular with operators and home owners. Earnings of the game have been very good for operators from what I've read and been told and continues to out earn any other pin. While Mustang may be appearing in some Ford dealers it doesn't seem very popular with home owners and operators. The Mustang theme is awesome but Stern made a mistake by not including one interactive toy in it and offering other features to justify its price in my opinion.

#184 9 years ago

WOZ will go down as a classic pin using a timeless theme, having one of the deepest rulesets in pinball, and offering more toys and features than other pin at the time. Best pinball machine ever made in my opinion. Thank you JJP

#196 9 years ago

Amazing reply. Great to see most of the same people who have bashed WOZ and JJP for months on end give your reply a thumbs up. Typical, lol.

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

We love your dedication Panzer. However you need new material

Nothing I say will convince certain people on here to like WOZ. That's fine and I'm not trying to. I understand some people don't like the game. I will defend the game though when I read the same comments over and over again such as "the theme sucks" and "the gameplay is slow". Games like Tron, ST and ACDC will always play faster than WOZ and that is due to the left ramp, right ramp and middle ramp (ST and Tron) layout those games have while having few interactive toys to prevent stop and go gameplay. Just because WOZ doesn't play as fast as the games I mentioned doesn't mean it's not as fun. It's the opposite for me as WOZ is a game with a lot of strategic shots that requires a player to tackle various areas of the playfield, especially during multiballs.

For me I wanted a game that is loaded up with multiple toys and features that interact with the ball all while offering a deep quest based ruleset. WOZ does that. When I play my ACDC yeah it's exciting and fun but it never gives that feeling like I'm on a quest in the game with multiple unique modes spread throughout the playfield that lead up to a mid wizard and final wizard mode. I guess you can say I prefer Keith coded games with deep quest based rulesets compared to games that are more focused on scoring only.

For me some of my favorite pins are those where the programmer creates fun gameplay, offers objective based multiballs and tells a story through a player reaching certain objectives and goals. Those types games keep me coming back again and again. Two games that do that best in my opinion are LOTR and WOZ.

#208 9 years ago

#Unsubscribe

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't hate WOZ, but I'd like more innovative & interactive toys in a widebody game.

That house sure interacts with the ball. So does the witch behind her glass cage. That crystal ball - wow, the ball interaction, there...wooo! Bumper caps that look like clay trees...yeehaw! So what's left...a door with a saucer behind it.....and a track magnet with a flat plastic monkey on it.
You have to realize why Rob and others give you grief for your constant copy/paste toy schtick....it doesn't hold water. There are no innovative interactive toys....which is fine, you don't need them for a game to be good - but it's borderline disingenuous to keep going on and on about WOZ's great toys.

Wow, talk about talking down the game. The track magnet with the monkey toy behind it is more interactive that any modern Stern game toy. Seriously what type of interactive toys do you get for $7,500 with ST LE or Mustang LE...Oh ST has the ship that moves. That's like the spinning house in WOZ expect the house in WOZ has a door that opens on top of it. What else does it have other than the kicker within the ship...One magnet and a drop target... For $7,500!? You may not want to start a toy debate here.

5 magnets, two mini playfields, 5 flippers, the crystal ball toy, two mini outlane games, the witch toy, the spinning house with drop door. Sorry but WOZ offers a lot of toys and features within it and far more value than any LE game Stern is making today.

All what you and several others here do in a WOZ related thread is try to talk down the game, act like its a piece of crap with no interactive toys (or glance over the ones it has) and offers slow gameplay. It's been the same old copy and paste story for months on end now. Sorry but I'm not going to stop defending the game when you make a comment that undermines the game like that.

#222 9 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Well said. I'm more of a Stern fan than JJP from a business practice standpoint, but WOZ is my favorite pin that either has put out in the last 10 years. METLE is #2.

MET is an awesome game too. Seems like the last two code updates for it have added a lot of depth to the game. I would like to get one some day.

I don't want anyone to think I dislike Stern games as that's not the case. I just believe and see that JJP is offering more value with a game like WOZ compared to Stern games that cost the same amount. While WOZ doesn't have one large interactive toy like MM it has a lot of smaller interactive toys that thanks to code offer multiple unique modes. During multiballs and wizard modes its cool to see a player forced to use several features on the playfield to complete it as opposed to shootig one target again and again.

#234 9 years ago

I stopped reading your comment after "Friend of Dorothy" was mentioned. Wow, just wow. So the only people that like WOZ outside of the U.S are gay? That's not cool to say at all. A new low has been reached in this thread.

Edit: I did read the rest of your comments and it seems like you are describing a prototype WOZ with 1.0 code.

#237 9 years ago

#Unsubscribe

#264 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Playing more games of WOZ would undoubtedly improve my opinion and comprehension of the rules.....but it's not going to fix the flow problems along with the poor lighting.
Again....high hopes for the Hobbit!!!!

I don't see how WOZ has flow problems. Not every game needs crazy flow to be successful or fun. Just look at how popular TZ is yet its not as fast as say ACDC. The opposite would be me saying that Star Trek has too much flow along with too few devices that interact with the ball which doesn't create interesting gameplay.

#266 9 years ago

You hit the hammer on the head! I don't like TZ either!

Lol. Fair enough. I understand your point now.

#268 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Whether WOZ is loved or hated by the masses is besides the point... I just know is that it's a great thing that Panzer loves his WOZ so much! I fear that if he ever sold it Pinside would implode and cease to exist. Praising WOZ and its great number of toys ensures there is balance in the Force and is necessary for the future of Pinside to survive

LOL! That was great.

#269 9 years ago

But you're right....it's all opinion on what kind of games we like.
I don't hate WOZ, it's just not for me.
Hobbit looks like a much better theme, with much better flow. But who knows till we play it, right?

Yeah. I think The Hobbit will flow more than WOZ but will still be stop and go as well with it having 4 pop ups, 11 drop targets, the ball holder near kicker and of course Smaug. I certainly wouldn't pay $7,500 for TH if the pop ups and drop targets were to be taken out but it meant more flow. Something has to justify the high cost of these games and if not they should be priced lower.

#293 9 years ago

Personally I think the LCD is a game changer and makes DMD games, including my ACDC, look a bit outdated. The LCD on WOZ really helps display progress of the multiple modes spread throughout the playfield and produces some very cool animations. I can't see spending $7,500+ on a pinball machine anymore unless it comes with an LCD for the display.

Check out the extra ball animation in the video below at 13:39. Animations like that have much more impact on a game than the same thing appearing on a DMD in blocky text.

#300 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Groundhog Day 2 - The Panzer.

In TV advertisement guy announcer voice.

Chessiv, let me tell you about the amazing WOZ. It has 5 magnets, count em 5 magnets! It has not one but two mini playfields! Oh wait, we are not done yet unlike most pins. Are you sick and tired of watching your ball drain on pins and then nothing happens expect that feeling of emptiness? Well you're in luck with WOZ as there's two mini outlane games where you can get your ball back! Also if you, a friend or a family member can't stand looking at DMD animations that look like the original NES Super Mario Bros game than WOZ is the game for you as it offers HD animations for the ultimate high def pinball experience!!!!

#304 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

AND THAT'S NOT ALL! If you order today, you'll experience more DINGS than Breaking Bad!!!
» YouTube video

Well of course you will! More dings = more value for your money! Don't buy a game with only 1 or two dings when you can buy one with thousands for the same price!

#314 9 years ago

I think its time to move on from this thread. We all know that WOZ is the best pinball machine ever made and that The Hobbit pinball will be the next best pinball machine once its released. Right? lol

#348 9 years ago

In regards to comments about slow and plodding gameplay...

Myself and many others like the stop and go gameplay combined with some flow. Many new games are so focused on flow that they lose out on interesting and unique gameplay due to a lack of toys on the playfield as well as interesting modes. Most pins also only have one area where modes are accessed / targeted, with WOZ there's several. The crystal ball area has 4 unique modes which are all 2 ball multiballs, the Munckin mini playfield has 4 modes including a multiball, the upper left mini playfield allows players to play a 2-4 multiball with risk / reward playing heavily into locking more balls for Rescue Multiball. Then there's Haunted Multiball which is unlocked after collecting the 3 Haunted Modes. There's also Fireball Frenzy after defeating 3 witch hurry ups which focuses on the witch area and other shots throughout the playfield. Can't forget about Emerald City multiball either which is a great objective based multiball. Then there's two games wizard modes. I can only speak about Battle the Wicked Witch as I haven't reached Somewhere Over the Rainbow but it requires the player to access nearly all of the areas and shots on the playfield. Besides all of the game standard modes there's also two mini outlane games.

Overall playing WOZ gives me that feeling like I'm on a quest while playing it where as when I play my ACDC I just feel like I'm going for points. There are times during WOZ games where I could care less about my score as I'm more excited about how many modes I can unlock and how far I can get in them. I can't think of any other game that provides that type of fun factor other than LOTR.

The modes in WOZ, like most modes in Keith games, provide a unique type of gameplay compared to other pins too. Where most games have players targeting one area during a multiball Keith makes the player work the entire playfield and that to me beats high flow any day and bashing one area / toy again and again.

WOZ is a masterpiece in my opinion and its ruleset makes all of the games toys and features shine.

#363 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

panzer-farside.jpg 40 KB

*Comment deleted

#369 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Quote me once saying either of those thing. I'll wait.
(Hint: I've never said either thing, don't spend too long looking. I praised the theme in this very thread!)

I hate to have to explain a joke, but maybe you're not familiar with the original cartoon, though it's a classic.

Hint: I was taking the piss out of Pinside as much as anything, the cartoon is about the dog, not the man. Lighten up!

farside.jpg 45 KB

I deleted the comment as I remember you actually praising the film and / or theme at some point in this thread. Sorry about that. I'm not familiar with the cartoon so I apologize for taking it the wrong way. If I was I would have taken the pic a different way. Thanks for trying to lighten the mood.

#382 9 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Your kidding about the zero conveyance right

89055.jpg 153 KB

Exactly. I've found it easier on WOZ to keep track of my progress and determine what to do than any other game I own.

#385 9 years ago

Great post Asael. I have ACDC and WOZ in my lineup and feel the same way. When I play my ACDC I'm in it just for the points and while that is fun I find games like WOZ and LOTR to be much more interesting. With WOZ sure a high score is nice but I also like playing just to see how far I can get, how many Munchkin modes I can unlock and if I can even reach Battle Wicked Witch let alone Somewhere Over the Rainbow. With ACDC and points focused games that feeling like you are on a quest is gone. Like you said though both games are intended to play entirely different. I just prefer games likes WOZ and LOTR as they come across as much more interesting games with more to do compared to points focused pins.

#389 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Dont forget that jack told that his pins were the real next gen pinball. With innovations, better quality control, better code on shipping, no fooling around, etc. And he also talked bad words about other companies.
If you cant keep your word, be it your own fault or a 3rd party that cant deliver, it will always fire back.
I think if JJP just started his company by saying he is trying to build a new company up. And that he hopes the fans will like it. Instead of telling the whole world that he is the messiah pinball needed.
Then the critism would never be as harsh as it is.
And you can argue about how good woz is as a pinball theme. But i still cant believe how jack picked woz, just without any second thaught about it. Very amateuristic. And.... Honoustly, he picked wrong, if you like it or not, i think we all can agree on numerous of themes that are liked by more pinballfans then woz.

Its a great theme, one of the best in years for a pin. It attracts men, woman and kids. WOZ is out earning any other machine at a lot of locations so that's proof just how popular the theme is. #1 on Play Meter too for earnings.

My dad, 57, was playing my WOZ a few weeks back. He loves pinball and I could see he was having a blast playing WOZ. When I asked him if he wanted to play ACDC he just said "nahhh, this game is too much fun, I want to play another game on WOZ". My wife and friends reaction are typically the same.

Jack also sold 1,000 LE's of the game without people ever seeing a complete game which is more proof of the themes popularity. Wizard of Oz, like Twilight Zone, is a timeless theme and will forever be popular. It was a smart move by Jack to pick WOZ as the theme for JJP's first pin.

#392 9 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

Where? I was just told that at a location in MI WOZ is earning less than a Jurassic Park.

I didn't say every location. I bet other games out earn WOZ depending on the location. I could imagine Harley Davidson out earning WOZ at a biker bar, lol.

Last I heard it out earns every game, which includes new Sterns, at Marvin's Marvous Museum on a regular basis.

#394 9 years ago
Quoted from sanctumwear:

that's a great place. thanks

Oh yeah. Awesome place for pinball and other unique arcade games. I need to make another trip up to Marvin's soon.

#407 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I know one thing, JJP better give Panzer his Hobbit first. He has earned it

Now you realize why I'm saying all of these pro WOZ comments, lol.

I think my Hobbit order is towards the middle or end of orders. I didn't preorder until September, 2013.

#422 9 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Oh, and I'd like to reliably beat the witch... but that isn't a programming issue... she slapped me around last night. I didn't even get the ball locked behind the Winkie. I just choked.
That's just not going to happen (at least for me yet).....every time the targets go green and she becomes huge on the screen, I just freakin' freeze, knowing there is a timer and can only lose 1 of the 2 balls......beat her once so far w new code, and been within final ramp shot about 5 times.....absolutely kills me...can't figure a good way to cradle one of the balls while keeping my "freebie" in play to make at least three of those shots....I truly suck at that part.....mark

Battle the Wicked Witch is definitely a tough wizard mode. I've reached the mode 3 times but each time drained one of the two balls and the mode ended. It sounds like the mode keeps going on your machine even if you lose one ball? I wonder if theres a difficulty setting for the mode I'm not seeing.

#431 9 years ago

Over 400 posts in this thread in 3 days...wow! Is that a Pinside record? lol

If anything that proves just how big of an impact WOZ and JJP has had on pinball and the wide range of opinions about the game and the company. I've seen another pin generate this much discussion either good or bad.

#434 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

10 % are yours!

I'll give you 5%, lol.

#436 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Seriously , you have posted the same exact thing 40 times in this thread.

No, not really. I've posted about the games features, toys, code, theme, JJP, The Hobbit, WOZ earnings, asked people questions about game rules, etc.

#439 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

There we go!

Oh no, I have said the forbidden word! Bad Panzer bad. I forgot we live in a pinball era where less toys and higher prices are a good thing as long as there's flow.

#472 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Yeah, don't be cheap and use the voiceover people. We want you to get the *original* actors behind the mic to do the callouts!!

lol. Yeah. Personally I think the call outs in WOZ are very good and sound close to the actors in the film. The Oz call outs are my favorite. Hearing "EXTRAAAA BALLLL" never gets old.

#480 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

But with out the fan boys saying how JJP is going to save pinball no one would care about JJP either way.

You truly do hate JJP and have come across repeatedly like you want them to fail more than anyone else on Pinside. The more pinball companies the better.

A lot of people like WOZ and what Jack and JJP have done for this hobby. Nothing is going to change that.

#481 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's funny cuz it's true!
If you post why you dislike WOZ in the WOZ owners thread you would get a thread eject. Why not here?

Great idea! The people that hate WOZ need there own thread to complain about the game. Just call it the "WOZ Hate Fan Club". It would be a first for Pinside. Then the WOZ code update threads, shipping threads (which many people in this thread should not be posting in but do), and support threads can be free of going to crap.

#483 9 years ago

#Unsubscribe

#486 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

#Wozhaslotsoftoys

#LotsOfToys=NoFlow

#492 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Cant stop the fanbois!!!!!
Truth be told, Panzer's incessant posting is a significant adder to the dislike of JJP... if he was disallowed from posting, the need ofr this type of thread would go away

So I'm the reason this thread exists and its my fault? Same with some people disliking JJP? Truth be told my yellow brick road a$$. Some people disliked JJP before I ever started posting positive comments about WOZ. A few of those people must be steaming saying to themselves "That damn PanzerFreak posting about those damn cool toys in WOZ...I hate JJP!" or "He keeps posting about complete code on WOZ, I never want a JJP game" lol...

If I have to read other people's comments about how slow WOZ is, start crap in the WOZ shipping update thread, how much the game sucks, how Jack stinks, blah blah blah for months on end now then they can read my comments about why the game is fun and offers a lot of value or add me to their ignore list.

#522 9 years ago

Yes it has a display but it uses a 27" 1080P LCD. Saying a WOZ display is not much different then a DMD is like saying tires on 1920 Ford Model T are the same as those on a 2015 Mustang because both are round...Sure WOZ has targets...just a ton of them! Some new games have one magnet, WOZ has 5. Some new games have one mini playfield, WOZ has two. WOZ brought higher prices because Stern thought they could pull a fast one on everyone and say "Hey, JJP is charging $7.5k for their LE's so lets do the same"!

The problem is Stern didn't innovate and include an LCD, they didn't offer direct print cabinets with unique side art on both sides, they didn't make a wide body game with more features, they didn't include a headphone jack and they didn't include a topper.

For $7.5k-$8k you get the most for your buck by far with a JJP game. They are the only company today making pinball machines worth those prices in my opinion. I say that as a fan of Stern in hope that they will offer more in their games at the higher price points.

#525 9 years ago

You guys put too much stock into a LCD display. It's not the first game to do it. In fact is there really anything groundbreaking about WOZ? The cabinet printing may be a first but I can't think of anything else.
Can't argue with your more bang for your buck though when comparing both LEs from Stern and JJP. Jack didn't hold back much when building the WOZ. I like the little things like the rubber strip on top of the back box to protect the raised playfield. The rails under the play field. The special engraved green cup holder.

What other pinball machine has an LCD in the display? Excluding aftermarket mods and machines that are not in production. Just curious.

People are going to have different opinions on whether or not WOZ is groundbreaking. For me, my family and friends that have come over and played my WOZ they think its groundbreaking just from the standpoint of the games RGB lighting system, LCD display and cabinet artwork.

#528 9 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I saw the Canasta references coming from a mile away, as soon as "groundbreaking" and "LCD" came up in a WOZ hate thread. LOL Right on cue, guys!
So we should not appreciate the WOZ display because a small Spanish company pumped out a remake of a 1980's single level game a few years ago, using a color LCD to show scores?
To suggest that WOZ has not taken pinball display to another level is just plain *stupid*. Yes, STUPID.
It's not that nobody else has ever thought to put a color display in a pinball machine. It's the way the LCD is incorporated into WOZ which is ground-breaking, the level of quality of the implementation and software. It's used in gorgeous animations which sync with the playfield lighting colors and rules to set a mood, create an atmosphere, and push the visual elements of pinball to another level.

Spot on Well said.

Stern needs to up their game and finally put an LCD display in their games.

#560 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Unfortunately they probably will. Then prices will go even higher. LCD displays are cool but really add nothing to gameplay. I want the focus to be on gameplay and not stupid blingy crap that just adds cost and not fun.

The LCD is a huge draw while playing WOZ and adds a lot to its fun factor, especially with the games deep ruleset. After seeing the "EXTRAAA BALLL" animation on WOZ I couldn't imagine seeing something similar appear on a DMD on the game as it wouldn't have no where near the same impact. Same goes for the Emerald City multiball animations and dozens of others. The LCD display on WOZ compliments the playfield design and features as it helps bring alive the Wizard of Oz universe to the player. A DMD just can't do that nearly as well.

Stern is already charging WOZ prices for their LE games but now just needs to justify those prices with WOZ level features.

#578 9 years ago

Pinball "welfare" money funded WOZ and TH? Wow. I don't recall anyone on welfare ever starting a company and creating a product superior to their competitor. Stealing money from Peter to pay Paul. Last I checked people like myself paid Jack for a WOZ ECLE and received an ECLE.

Quoted from lowepg:

I think JJP has innovated. No question.
But it's not just about delivering the WOZ pre-orders:
Until he can actually BUILD and ship pinball machines without pre-order "welfare money", then the business model will continue to be shaky/risky. The "Stealing from Peter to pay Paul" financing model is not sustainable.
It seems like this might be the case by JJP #3. I certainly hope so!
I'm still tentatively a buyer for TH, but not until I can buy one "off the shelf" which likely means I've got some waiting to do...

#586 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

This is why people have issues with you TANK !

I never said Stern makes a poor product. They make great pins that are a blast to play. JJP machines are just on a different level in my opinion. I'm still very happy with my ACDC Premium.

Some people have issues with me sticking up for JJP and WOZ just like some people have issues with several others who have bashed the game and company for months on end. There can be a positive comment about WOZ yet the same 6 or so WOZ bashers will never give it a thumbs up but find a negative comment and there they are supporting it.

#590 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Come on Panzer, surely you understood the point? Ironically you love to complain about the same people criticizing JJP and yet you will blindly attack those same people without even understanding their comments. If you re-read my post - the only I said about JJP *games* was complementary; I simply stated the funding model is not sustainable. I'm shocked anyone would find that controversial!?!?
But, Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and explain what I meant:
I put preorder "welfare money" in quotes precisely because i didn't mean *literally* welfare money. I meant on WoZ, JJP had:
WoZ pre-payments,
new WoZ order payments, and
even some TH pre-payments to fund his operations.
My simple point was that for them to be healthy and sustainable, they will need to get to a point where they dont need to hold buyers money for 2+ years to keep the lights on and get product out the door. AND truly be able to ship what's paid for without needing to "line-jump" new orders for cashflow infusion.
WoZ seems like a great game (for those that like the theme)
TH is a great theme- tons of potential
JJP #3 has "The Master" working on it- not much of a better pedigree out there...
The actual games look to be solid, its their business model and production planning thats still shaky.

I hear ya, you have some good points. I agree that putting up pre-order money for 3 years is not a sustainable business model. If The Hobbit takes 3 years to ship there's a problem. The first games took so long to get out the door (which from a new product standpoint isn't that long) because JJP started from scratch. Let's hope that The Hobbit does start shipping December. Only 6 months to go!

#597 9 years ago

Three years huh. Well that's a might gracious time limit you have right there. Stern can build 1000 games in 3 -5 weeks but we give JJP 3 years before we have a problem? The problem is NOW. Production is the problem.

Still making excuses for JJP? Panzer I like you, but man you are such a fanboy. There is no reason why people should STILL be waiting for their WOZ. You say you feel bad for all the people still waiting for their games but you keep on making excuses for JJP?

Stern has been around for much much longer than JJP. With a game like ACDC, MET or ST they didn't have to create the platform first, design standard pinball hardware, build vendor relations and a thousand other things that come with forming a pinball company. JJP started from scratch yet some people still forget that when factoring in the time it took them to get the first WOZ out the door. Also, while Stern builds great games they do not contain a similar amount of tech and features like a JJP game does. If JJP designed a more simpler game without an LCD it would have been out sooner but that's not the type of game they wanted to build nor the game pre-order customers signed up for.

Also, does it matter if Stern can build 1000 games in 3-5 weeks for JJP? Is Ferrari a failure because they don't build the same number of Focus's that Ford builds in 3-5 weeks? No. Jack knows his company is a start up and said that he would like to someday see JJP make 2,500 games a year, be profitable and offer good jobs to people.

The second game won't take as long. If it does there's a problem. I do agree that current LE production should be going faster than it is but at least games are being built. New owners have posted stories / pics about picking up their games and seeing LE's being worked on and ready for shipment.

#599 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

impressive numbers for stern. i think jjp should approach gary, hat in hand, and humbly ask if they could be contracted out to build th when the time comes. shut down the jersey campus and save the overhead on an underutilized facility and leave it to the pros in chicago like pps wisely did. i imagine more people would be willing to buy from jjp if they knew production was handled by the good people at stern. like baby jesus and bethlehem, so too is pinball construction and chicago.

It would be interesting to hear what a game like WOZECLE built by Stern would cost. If Stern is charging $7,500 for a game like Mustang LE a WOZECLE made by them may cost $10,000. If the game is the same quality as JJP is making today, includes the same features and is same price people may wonder why the games built in house by Stern cost the same price yet don't include a similar number of features.

#609 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And what if they don't?
I'm sure that JJP's number 1 fanboy will find some reason to give them a pass. Again.

No I wouldn't nor did I make mention of it in my post. Lighten up dude. Too much hate, be happy

#614 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I agree that the JJP had to start from scratch and comparing their production rates to Stern's is comparing apples to Orangutans.
The thing that scares me a little about TH is the WoZ production issues dont really seem to have subsided. I think if they were shipping 10 games/week the first month, then 25/week after 3 months, then 50/week after 6 months- it would be a different story. You could then easily attribute the slow shipping to their ramping up and the learning curve.
That's not what has happened.
If you just look at whats happened since the "90-days-ish" comment- it's clear they still don't have a handle on production- or even remotely being able to forecast it correctly. It looks like they might blow that last prediction by a factor of 2... or more.
I mean- geez- people are all ecstatic when there's a report/sighting on a dozen boxes ready to ship at the factory! Well, hell, THATS how many they were predicting they could ship EVERY day!
Anyways- that's all well-covered turf. My concern for the future is we aren't seeing production trending up like one might expect....
Now, if the supply-chain is drastically different for TH, then perhaps WoZ trends arent a good measure of TH capabilities... I hope that's partially the case.

I know what you mean. When I got my WOZECLE back in Nov of last year production of LE's seemed to be much faster. JJP seemed to be cranking through the LE's up until December. I'm thinking the delays have to be a result of a shortage of LE cabinets as there doesn't seem to be an issue with the production of standards which now use decals. It seems more likely that The Hobbit LE will use decals. I'm fine with that as long as JJP offers value elsewhere in the machine. They seem to be doing that with features such as in interactive apron mentioned.

#616 9 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Hold on a second Rob, we are numbered? What number fanboy am I? I mean crap, I know I can't compete with Panzer, but I have to be single digit, don't I? I've melted the witch 3 times now, that HAS to count for something!

That's 3 more times than I have, lol. You get some bonus fanboy points for that

#621 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You make a very valid point. It was my mistake in giving Panzer a fanboy number. Since there is nobody else in his league (in fact, dare I say there is nobody else even playing the same sport?), no numbers are required. He is all alone. You don't even play the same sport that Panzer does!

You are too kind RobT lol

#624 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

PanzerFreak has convinced me, I love WoZ, I love toys, magnets and WoZ.

lol! My work here is done guys. Its now on to another pinball forum to defend WOZ's honor and glory. haha

#665 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am not fully up to speed on what JJP's written warranty policy is but I will say from my own experience that Jack/JJP back their stuff big time! Any problems I had Lloyd was all over it (like a rat on a cheeto) and Jack always took my calls and went way above and beyond to make sure any issues were resolved.

Notice the lack of thumbs up for the post above. Too positive for this thread lol

#666 9 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I never get involved in the JJP discussions, but seriously why is anyone pre-paying for Hobbit? They can't even get WOZ finished and out the door. What makes anyone think they are just going to flip a switch and suddenly increase their output rate? I just can't see how that's going to happen without dumping a lot more money into the company. If anything it will get worse as they build a workflow for a totally new game.

Maybe because around 800/1000 LE's have shipped, more are being built every week, standards being built as well, the code support for WOZ is amazing and JJP has released several Hobbit white wood and animation videos? Nah.

#668 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Do those high end toys ship with fundamental design flaws? Jack said if you bought a NIB game, but from someone "not authorized"...it would have no warranty KNOWING that the game in that box would likely have lightboard or CPU issues. That one little thing scared a lot of us off from even wanting to buy a used WOZ...if it's busted due to the fundamental design issues, we're boned.

What fundamental design flaws? Myself and many others haven't had an issue with games with 7.5 v boards in it. I think the only concern is with some original games that shipped with 5 volt boards and those owners can get replacement parts free of charge. That issue has been fixed for a while now.

#677 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL...there are reasons in your reasoning to be skeptical of purchasing a Hobbit!
-It's 2014...200 LE's to go still!? Doesn't bode well if you want a Hobbit sooner than 2 or 3 years from release date.
-Standards being built!? When the LE's haven't all shipped!??! Are Hobbit LE buyers gonna have to go through the same thing? Watch Standards come and go while they wait for their machines?
-Sure, we've seen some whitewood videos...but the designer no longer works there. Who knows how far he got or who's finishing it up.

LOL! Sometimes you come off like you hate WOZ and JJP all day every day. Negativity and hopelessness is all I see. I prefer to be positive and look at what JJP has done.

1. Yes, there are still 200 LE's to go and guess what they are being built! Production hasn't stopped.

2. We know there's an issue with getting enough LE cabinets and standards can be made quicker because they are using decals.

3. Isn't it rumored that The Hobbit LE will use decals? If so the same issue won't exist. If they do use direct print Jack should make sure the same thing with WOZ LE cabinets doesn't happen.

4. Jack said his work was done on the game. I trust guys that guys like Keith Johnson and Ted Estes will now bring the design alive with their amazing rule design.

#681 9 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

All you do is overhype, good Lord!

Opps, I said something good about JJP again. It can't be. That's crazy talk. Complete code? Regular updates? Being positive. What's that?

The first rule about the WOZ hate thread is to say nothing positive about JJP. There is nothing positive about them. Regular code updates, value, included topper, lots of features, and innovation all suck!

#686 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Off topic for this thread, please ban member.

lol. If that is Pinside policy you would have already been banned with some of the comments you posted in other WOZ threads.

Why not just create a dedicated "WOZ Hate Fan Club" thread? That way it can be negative comments all day, everyday.

#689 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Off topic for this thread, please ban member.

No matter how much I may disagree with you, or others, in some threads about WOZ I'm proud to say I haven asked for any of those members to be banned from Pinside just for having another opinion. Wow.

#692 9 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

Want a ribbon?

Nah, I'm good!

#694 9 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

Lol! You don't even want to know the color.......red

What is that supposed to mean?

#696 9 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

It will come to you...or not...

If you have something else insulting to say why not say it?

#699 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

But you cry about thumbs up/down so whats your point? You are proud of that? lol. wow.

Nope, wrong again. I was just surprised that you would down vote the comment I made in a WOZ code update thread where I thanked Keith.

Also I didn't mention anything about thumbs up / down in that post...

#700 9 years ago

Good choice.

#703 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Didnt find your big boy pants yet, eh?

You are getting angry again. We talked about this. Please watch the video below once again.

#705 9 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

You said, that I said that she said you got a thumbs down boooo hooo

You may want to watch the video as well. So much hostility.

#710 9 years ago

CenterFlank: You think I'm going to reply to you after you sent me a PM just to harass me? Grow up.

"Dig deep into your closet and find your big boy pants. They have to be in there somewhere."

#713 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

You are pathetic, please post the follow up message I sent.

Here you go.

"You clearly have your bitch boy pants on, Man up!"

#716 9 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Oops, I accidentally thumbed down your post thanking Keith for the WOZ code update. Oh well.

I don't care. Thank you. Here's a thumbs up for you!

#717 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Thank you. lol. wow

You call me pathetic but I'm not the one sending harassing PM's on top what you are posting here to me...

#719 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I took the arguement off the forum BUT you just had to post it here like a child, go play with your toys.
Your DB'ery rating is off the charts!

DB'ery? You may not want to say that after sending PM's like that just to escalate an argument. You look like the child sending PM's like that.

#723 9 years ago

It's silly for us to continue this argument over a pinball machine of all things. I don't want to do it anymore. I apologize for the part I played in it and will exit this thread for good.

2 years later
#967 7 years ago

Honestly I think a few people were pissed that another company came along and one upped Stern with their first game that offered far more value, newer tech, and with it built the most loaded game since Twilight Zone. Well, that and the frequent substantial code updates for the game while they waited months on end for updates from Stern.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-hate-woz?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.