wms_ninesisters2s.jpg
image-A4.jpg
Playfield 9 sisters .jpg
nine sisters.jpg
Tugger.jpg
i am a people person.gif
popcorn.gif
colonel sanders.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 9 years ago

I bought mine about a year ago through a distributor for inflated price. Been through the led thing and other tech bugs....all that being said I really enjoy the game. Everything working great now, latest code is very enjoyable, and I play it pretty much every night I'm in pinland. I like tinkering with these things, and feel I know it pretty well by now. Have I wanted to set it on fire a few times? Absolutely....but the same can be said about all of my games. The love/ hate thing is part of what I enjoy about the hobby.

It's a shot maker game ( like TZ, which I also enjoy), but "slow" is not a correct term IMO .....it has it's own feel, which for me, is a great alternative to some of my other games. Not for everyone, but what is?

Theme is fine for me...I think it would be hard to find a more " timeless" title that people will discuss generations from now ( not referring to the machine at all). With that, I think the machine too, marks an amazing time for the hobby......easily the most polarizing pin I'm aware of, and really can't imagine the infamy ever changing.

I didn't participate in the early buyin/ business speculation part of the Company, so I really have no way ( or intent) to comment intelligently on that.

Appreciate Jack and JJP, and personally love the game....is what it is.....mark

#49 9 years ago

Realize I just posted this on a " why do people hate WOZ" thread.....ha......guess I'll deserve some bashing for that......it's what I get for posting while watching a soccer game....

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Thats great a lot of you guys love your WOZ. Please dont let some of the over zealous anti-woz posters detract from your enjoyment of the game.
Ive posted my thoughts on WOZ before so most know where I stand. Id imagine if I had it in my home and got to play it 500 times Id probably grow to like it more. Happy Flipp'n!

Really like that post....I second the offer to play mine, if you guys ever go through Asheville!!!...have recently acquired a TRONLE that sits next to my WOZ, so you can thrash WOZ ( mine is setup great and rocks)..and give me some tips on keeping TRON from kicking my ass on a regular basis.....

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I am glad you are enjoying the game. I like WOZ too (I've even gotten past the theme and I think it is cool game), but its price point is too high for me to add to the collection and I don't like what I've heard about its reliability from some of my buddies who do own it.
No rules have been broken in this thread that i can tell; we do have a thread (the WOZ Club Thread) where we do not allow negativity because so many WOZ threads have negativity . . . but that thread is not this one. Carry on folks.

Agreed....not seeing much "hate" on this thread ( I'm sure I haven't read every post) and actually enjoy reading posts on most machines ( positive or negative) until personal stuff is brought in......people on this site have been in the Hobby years longer than I ( don't mind newbs either)....find a lot of interesting banter....

I really think WOZ can stand on its own and doesn't need defending.....if you like the game or not....well, your choice...hence the discussion......mark

#364 9 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

enough of the negative shit.
Playing it now.
Amazing light show. (flashers are insane)
Fantastic new deep rules. ( I am not even that good yet)
Great toys that do to interact.
GI is absolutely NOT an issue anymore my new standard is bright and fine in a dark room. Looks great.
Completely fun mini playfields.
Unique outlane chances to win back ball.
LCD is cool no matter what you think. It is indeed fun for others to watch.
The SOUND is HUGELY crisp and clear compared to ALL other games. Even AC/DC.... I've had that 3 times
Call outs have gotten better especially EXTRA BALL!
Fun multi's especially when stacking.... It gets absolutely nuts. If you have never had a multi going with balls in both mini play fields and the lights going nuts then you have NOT seen what WOZ can offer you for play.
It is a different approach at updating games and when people stop over they want to play it immediately. Every time.

I must agree...

a) Winged Monkey ( on new software) actually has a ball sensor enabled, so even if you trigger the targets then hit a lame shot that doesn't make the magnet, monkey comes partially down, " sending" you didn't make the magnet, and takes off without fully going down.
b ) Witch..taunts you until the correct "1-2" shot is accomplished to bring her down....I'm actually working on a mod to make her "snap" her head around and stare straight at you, until she's beaten...should be pretty cool.
c) munchkinland loop- interactive w mode you are in ( w LEDs that get progressively harder) feet drop when she's killed, and flipper gets a no hold after a certain point, making it nearly impossible to stack up the completed loops
d) Castle- lots going on up there w virtual locks, rescue MB, etc.
e) I think the machine looks fine dark, next to my other machines when dark. It does have a translite, just smaller. They all look better when turned on, so whatever.
f) Nothing I ( or anyone) post is going to change an opinion based on personal criteria....I've got no problem w that...why should I? Make my own money, buy my own toys.
g) I do believe, from a gameplay perspective, that people who are on the fence MUST play the new code

done.......mark

#366 9 years ago

That would be "sensing", not "sending".....damn iPod...another love hate relationship.....

#415 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

If I may step into the fray for a minute...
The only thing that I'm aware of on WOZ that isn't immediately obvious with the playfield lights are the number of hits left on the winkie target (that is almost always on the upper left display, though), and the number of monkey targets you need to hit to qualify the monkey lock (though this shows up in the lower left whenever you hit a target, so it's about as close as it can be to your eyeline). Everything else on WOZ is pretty much "complete the target bank" or "complete the lights by rolling over buttons" and doesn't require the display to let you know where you're at.
Some things could be better, like letting you know you have to "lock dorothy" before rescue mb will start. I guess for most people that just kind of naturally happens.

Maybe part of the problem is that there's SO MUCH to do it's a little difficult to convey it via the lights. Personally, I have NFI how I'd convey hurryups running when there's a lot of multiballs going at once with standard lights.
But, in general, I guess I don't really understand the argument. The lights are cycling next to the rollovers, when you complete one, LOCK lights on the ramp. When you complete rainbow, Twister lights on the ramp. When you complete BALL, the lights blink towards the crystal ball spinner shot. When you complete Haunted, the collect arrow lights up. There's a lot of stuff that's still pretty standard pinball.

This is exactly what I was thinking....AND the countdown timers are ALOT easier to see on the lcd screen. Major help on TNPLH and other modes. I can (and do) glance up at the screen for winkie info, multiple jackpot info when you get rolling, and which modes are active (reaffirmation of the completed light paths on the screen)....have no idea how that can be a bad thing.....
I love my other games too, but with WOZ I can easily figure out where I am and what has to happen, using the screen as a partial guide (doesn't mean I can get there...machine is ruthless). I find on my other games (especially the fast ones) I cant look anywhere except the playfield to keep up w gameplay (listening helps me more than the dmd on those). I do look up for amusement and general info (especially FG and TSPP) but the larger display looks great and IS a help, not to mention very entertaining......mark

#419 9 years ago

Oh, and I'd like to reliably beat the witch... but that isn't a programming issue... she slapped me around last night. I didn't even get the ball locked behind the Winkie. I just choked.

That's just not going to happen (at least for me yet).....every time the targets go green and she becomes huge on the screen, I just freakin' freeze, knowing there is a timer and can only lose 1 of the 2 balls......beat her once so far w new code, and been within final ramp shot about 5 times.....absolutely kills me...can't figure a good way to cradle one of the balls while keeping my "freebie" in play to make at least three of those shots....I truly suck at that part.....mark

#420 9 years ago

some reason top of DaveH quote didn't come through.....that's his last sentence starting my reply...

#427 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Battle the Wicked Witch is definitely a tough wizard mode. I've reached the mode 3 times but each time drained one of the two balls and the mode ended. It sounds like the mode keeps going on your machine even if you lose one ball? I wonder if theres a difficulty setting for the mode I'm not seeing.

I think it's in 3.0...didn't get the extra ball (on a timer) before......

Quoted from Jvspin:

If I'm not mistaken, the final ramp shot doesn't defeat her. You still need to hit her with the upper right flipper (one more shot that only the upper right flipper can make) after the ball exits the Munchkin playfield. If you miss her you have to re-trap the ball behind the winkie drop target, re-make the ramp shot then try again to hit her.
The first time I got to battle the witch, I kept missing her on the final shot (I swear one of the hits didn't register . I think I made three attempts before finally draining the ball. Arrrrgggggggggg!

Think your right...I've only beaten her once, and it was all a blurr (sure I did it by accident)....I know if you dont make that final ramp shot in a certain amount of time, you have to go back to something else......I literally walk into another room after draining on that shot to keep it together (have also just turned off the machine and gone upstairs cursing madly, I must confess)...how people can't find that challenging or boring (?) is just beyond me.....I can call it alot of things, but those (not challenging, clunky, boring, whatever) are certainly not one of them......mark

#470 9 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I've probably killed the witch around 30 times or so, and SOTR is not gonna happen, so maybe a there and back again wizard mode somewhere in between?

Man, that kind of bragging is just wrong!!!!

Not sure if I should go practice alot more or just face the facts...I love the game, but it kills me....

#497 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Anyone who has posted why they like woz has posted off topic and needs a thread eject.

Ha....basically true...I was one of the first offenders, so I eject myself This thread ( for the most part) has been a civil read of opinions on the game , which I think is really a first, that's why it's lasted so long....I am now self ejected....but will still read.... ....peace.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 5.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 91.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mk6pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-hate-woz?tu=mk6pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.