wms_ninesisters2s.jpg
image-A4.jpg
Playfield 9 sisters .jpg
nine sisters.jpg
Tugger.jpg
i am a people person.gif
popcorn.gif
colonel sanders.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mechslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#153 9 years ago

I've made in depth comments on this subject before, but for now...

Two main reasons that people don't like WOZ:

1) No left ramp

2) They don't like Jack, or something he said, or his methods, his speeches, his bravado, his factory, etc.

I find it hilarious that these WOZ opinion threads are always dominated by those who don't own a WOZ. Always.

I don't know if any recent pinball title which has garnered as much consistent groupie-like negative attention from those who don't own the game and have declared that they don't wish to own it. I already knew the posters who I'd find in this thread before I clicked on it, and I already knew their opinions from the 500 other WOZ opinion threads they've voiced their displeasure for Jack and WOZ in.

Next time, someone cut this off on Page 1 by linking the last thread all this happened in, where the same individuals posted the exact same opinions (again).

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Op asked a general question for all of pin side. Only ~416~ pinsiders have one and are in a very small minority here.

And yet, the real minority is the dozen or so groupies that follow WOZ threads around like a TMZ camera follows Charlie Sheen.

I find it predictably funny, and yet to those who haven't read the WOZ opinion threads over the past two years, it may not be as easy to decipher.

#270 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

woz.jpg 30 KB

Are you sure YOU'RE comfortable with your own sexual orientation? LOL

You seem to be absolutely fixated on a small sub-culture surrounding elements of the motion picture, along with code words, phrases and things most of us have never heard of. And you've repeated them in multiple threads at this point (I read your same "Friends of Dorothy" thing in multiple threads, something I've never heard of).

Just sayin

#271 9 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

To the OP, thanks for starting this thread. Now my lunch break has well exceeded 1/2 hour and I spit soda all over the keyboard laughing at some of these replies.
Back on topic
I never had any interest in the game because of the theme and price point. Things that really killed any interest for me were...
the theme (not a good first theme for a new company in my opinion) Considering most pinball players are male, this theme will not draw their attention.
The out of the gate bashing of Stern and other pinball companies. Jack came out throwing bows saying if stern has 1 mile of wiring in their game, then my game has 2 miles of wiring. This was all said after he said in a previous interview that he wasn't going to tell you how many miles of wiring the game had like stern did.
The LCD screen. Just doesn't seem right on a pinball machine to me.
The Australian fiasco. I know it wasn't inherently Jacks fault but I think more could have been done about the situation.
The constant updates on the game progress. I don't mind updates on a games progress but I don't think it's necessary to have as many as they did. Now look at the shipping updates thread and it is lack of any major progress.
You need night vision glasses to see what is going on with the game. The back lighting is terrible.
The constant lies. "This game will have direct print cabinet art" (which later changed to decals from what I have heard) "You will get your game on 06/14/2013". Then the time comes and no game. "You will get your game on 06/20/2013 ish". Still no game. "We will not ship a game with incomplete code" hmmm. Imagine how many returns Jack would have if they didn't bang out code updates like they did because the code was far from complete when shipped.
The constant bashing and cruel treatment of others. Talking negative about pinside in general. Jumping in other peoples threads to try and ruin their sale of the game saying that the game will not have a warranty because the seller is not an authorized seller. Talking badly about Charlie E. and others who he worked with in the past and from what I have heard have been nothing but good to him.
The ruby reds and LE this and that. People bought the LE because they wanted the best game they could get. They wanted the satisfaction knowing there was no other better games out their. Then they introduce the ruby reds ect. This threw people for a loop.
THE FACT THAT IT HAS BEEN 3 YEARS AND SOME PEOPLE STILL DON"T HAVE THEIR GAME. This is just ludicrous to me. To spend that amount of money 3 years ago and still be waiting on a product that was supposed to have been delivered years ago. I mean come on, I know it is a new company just starting up but jeez that is way too long.

This goes back to exactly what I said earlier in the thread. You see, you try to come up with real criticism of the game, like "LCD screen just doesn't seem right" and vague criticisms like that which don't make any sense, but you give yourself away very easily with the only real substance of your posts: the in depth rants on Jack and his company.

Some people can't actually separate the game from the man. For the most part, this thread could almost be renamed "Why do people hate Jack?" and the complaints would make as much (if not more) sense.

#286 9 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Another Woz thread gone gay. Shocked. Ugh

If you look at the contributions of certain repeat posters in this thread who post no substance whatsoever (constant homosexual references and jokes, emocion spam, etc) they were always going to turn this, and any, WOZ thread into a train wreck because of the animosity they have for the title and for Jack.

As I pointed out earlier, there are a handful of Pinsiders who basically have the same message on repeat and they've taken that on tour, following all the WOZ threads for the past couple of years, copying and pasting their negativity, over and over again with groupie-like obsession.

#290 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There is a HUGE gay following for all things Wizard of Oz.
If this brings a different demographic to the pinball world, that can only be a good thing!

REALLY? Are you worried we didn't see it the dozen or so times you've mentioned it in this, and other, threads?

Obsessed much?

#301 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Does it bother you that I want more Gay people in the hobby?

You aren't fooling anyone with your coy, innocent tone and tired little jokes.

All you're doing is simply being bigoted in a smarmy (Who me?) way. Very transparent and sad.

#306 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

You are making a fool of yourself.
I do believe that Vid is in fact, gay.

He's done nothing but be a nuisance in this thread, offering up only sexual orientation jokes and memes in a pinball discussion. I really don't think a pinball discussion thread needs any of that.

There are plenty of other places he can go to discuss all those things.

#308 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

Pot, meet Kettle:

Huh? You quoted my reply to his sexual orientation meme joke. Since then, he proceeded to make 5-6 more posts in the same vein.

It's simply not on topic and not needed.

#313 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

Exactly.
You tried to imply that Vid was gay with YOUR little joke.
But since he is gay, the joke was on you.
Twice now.

Well, if he is, then he's obviously cool with it being the big joke he's made it out to be, because he's forcefully interjected sexual orientation (and the jokes about it) into this thread, over and over again.

To me, his posts actually read exactly like a heterosexual making fun of homosexuality in a condescending way, hence my reply at the top of this page. If I read it wrong, my bad. But honestly, like I said, it's all off topic and has no place in a Pinside discussion anyway.

#383 9 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

hah I could add a few I'm sure but disliking JJP is one thing, this is about WOZ...

Of course, but most cannot separate the two.

Quoted from flecom:

my issue isn't really the theme (unmanly? gay? seriously guys? - If WOZ makes you uncomfortable with yourself you need to seriously reassess yourself)... I watched the remastered bluray recently after not watching WOZ itself for a long time and enjoyed it... it's a great movie...

It's an all-time classic movie. When you think about the films which were made at the time, there's no wonder it became a classic. The unmanly and gay references, and general overall spam, in this thread were perpetuated over and over by guys who hate JJP and the game, so they want to muddy the water and piss all over the thread instead of offering any real opinion or criticism.

It's refreshing to actually read a (gasp) well thought out opinion of the machine we are talking about! However, I do disagree with several points...

Quoted from flecom:

my main issue is with the gameplay, and the use of lighting and the LCD as part of the gameplay (or lack there of), and not the fact there is an LCD there, just the way it's implemented.
When you are playing the game the LCD is pretty much useless, if you don't want to sit and cradle the ball while you try and decipher what the heck the LCD is trying to communicate to you, there is no way to glance at it quickly and figure out what is happening...

First of all, I think players need to think of the LCD as a DMD display, but bigger and colorful and more beautiful! Everything you're saying about the LCD is true of the DMD, right? In a DMD game, you need to cradle the ball to scroll through and see how many hits left, how many balls locked, etc.

The LCD isn't going to telepathically link to you, and guide you through the game. It's a display. You have to look at it for it to work. I think of the LCD as mainly for the spectators, but also being a little more fun to look at than the same old dots.

Quoted from flecom:

Lighting, playing the game EVERYTHING IS CHANGING F$%^&*G COLORS AND BLINKING! holy crap did the acid kick in? no, just playing WOZ... if everything is blinking, changing colors (which by the way will attract your vision more than something blinking) how do I know what to shoot? oh sorry I didn't bring my WOZ flow charts and reference material I thought I was just playing a game not taking a college exam...

I understand this criticism. It's lessened dramatically if you install the lighting kit. But the inserts are overwhelmingly bright until you do, because the GI is extremely underpowered.

It's sort of like in Man of Steel, when he couldn't grasp all his senses as a kid and it was tripping him out. I think many players get his feeling initially when playing WOZ, because it's so bright and insert heavy. But really, you just need to let your eyes get used to the game and play it normally, as you would any other machine. When the insert is dark under the A-I-N but the R and B-O-W is lit, then you need to hit the A-I-N. Then the arrow flashes under the Twister ramp, it wants you to hit that. The B-A-L-L on the left. You hit the inserts until they stay solid, then you can start Crystal Ball. The witch raises up, lights up, and flashes in front of her when in that mode, you want to hit her then. It's no more complicated than any other machine, but as with the LCD, it's different and brighter and there's more of it, so it takes some getting used to.

Quoted from flecom:

when I walk up to any machine I don't know I read the card (oh ya no card on woz!) and then try to shoot for whatever is blinking and figure it out... this is absolutely impossible on WOZ... sure there is some kind of tutorial on the LCD (TUTORIAL FOR PINBALL ARE YOU SERIOUS!?) but I don't want to watch a power point on how to play the game, just the fact that anyone thought this was OK is so beyond comprehension I don't know how else to communicate it...

Hmmm, so you'd rather a small black and white apron card with a few lines of text over a screen with a visual rule card, mapped out and animated? Again, I think it's the perception of what you're looking at. It's just a big colorful rule card, see dgpinball's post above, it's not exactly a tutorial. You don't have to write a report and bring it back to work. You aren't going to be quizzed on it. It's there if you want to know the basic rules of the game, otherwise ignore it.

You complain about not knowing what's going on, and yet complain when the machine tries to show you.

Quoted from flecom:

a good example of the horrible conveyance in WOZ is the upper left mini playfield... I got the ball in there and started hitting all the targets, getting it in the saucer behind the doors, going through the little loop corridor, I did this over and over again for a good 10~15 minutes wondering if something would EVENTUALLY happen... but nothing did... the machine didn't tell me I had to hit other targets (which I still to this day don't know what else I had to hit), or that no matter how long I stayed up there it didn't matter AT ALL to the progression of the game... again, BAD conveyance

You hit everything in the castle for 10-15 minutes and didn't get Rescue MB? The machine you played has a problem. That's the only explanation. Rescue is easy to start, and the conveyance is in large letters on the screen: R-E-S-C-U-E... you have to spell it by getting a letter from the scrolling targets, or spotted a letter from the loop or saucer. Then the insert for break down the door will light, you hit the door and break it down, and then start the MB with the saucer. It's one of the more straightforward MB qualifications I can think of. And a pretty neat MB, too. You should play a working machine and fully experience it.

Quoted from flecom:

ok lets talk about the more "abstract" feel of the game... every time I have played it, ignoring all those other issues, the shots just don't seem satisfying, I don't get that "ya I made it!" feeling with WOZ, even if I somehow manage to trigger some multiball or something that seems like I guess it was a good thing because it's playing different sounds and the lighting looks like new years in paris or something... it just feels... boring, and kind of bad...

I'd argue that the reason you don't get a "ya I made it!" feeling when you hit a shot is because you don't know what's going on, going back to your earlier criticisms. I'd advise to not be overwhelmed, but to try to learn one or two major goals, and focus on them until you understand more about the game. When I learned to play ACDC, I picked a couple songs and learned how to play those, and suddenly the whole game sort of opens up, but the rules are still a little unclear to me...I learn something everytime I play ACDC. WOZ will require that same approach and learning curve for many players.

Quoted from flecom:

also I will add I don't "hate" woz... I reserve that word for things I actually hate, I just don't care for WOZ, chances are it will never enter my collection...
I don't understand on people that will come here and continuously start issues because of it, like I said, I stay out of threads that I don't feel pertain to me or that I can't really add any kind of useful or somehow helpful contribution (WOZ threads included, sans this one due to the title)

I totally get this. Some games aren't for everyone, and WOZ may not be for you. Thank you so much for giving an actual opinion on the game!! That's what I came into this thread to read, and unfortunately it's been mostly spam, jokes, and rants towards Jack.

Pinside is getting to be such a large community that it's becoming tiresome to wade through dozens of spam posts to find an actual post of value and substance, even if I mostly disagree with it! So thanks again, Flecom! If you are ever up this way, hit me up and I'll see if I can't get you on a WOZ with a lighting kit and help you have a little fun with the game.

#523 9 years ago
Quoted from HomeBrew:

No real game breaking technology it still uses a ball, targets, ramps, and has a display, just like pinball machines have had for decades

So basically, following your logic, a pinball machine made in the late 70's has the same level of technology as WOZ.

Carry on WOZ Haters.... I'm sure all this makes sense to you.

#527 9 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

You guys put too much stock into a LCD display. It's not the first game to do it.

I saw the Canasta references coming from a mile away, as soon as "groundbreaking" and "LCD" came up in a WOZ hate thread. LOL Right on cue, guys!

So we should not appreciate the WOZ display because a small Spanish company pumped out a remake of a 1980's single level game a few years ago, using a color LCD to show scores?

To suggest that WOZ has not taken pinball display to another level is just plain *stupid*. Yes, STUPID.

It's not that nobody else has ever thought to put a color display in a pinball machine. It's the way the LCD is incorporated into WOZ which is ground-breaking, the level of quality of the implementation and software. It's used in gorgeous animations which sync with the playfield lighting colors and rules to set a mood, create an atmosphere, and push the visual elements of pinball to another level.

#532 9 years ago

OMG and now P2k, really? LOL You are reading right out of the WOZ Hate 2011 Handbook, following the procedure line by line...

P2k was 15 years ago, and obviously a completely different display implementation than WOZ. I'm sure you can see the difference right?

WOZ's display is used completely differently than P2k's, and honestly in the right way to appeal to as broad of audience as possible.

After the past 15 years of monochrome dots, a color LCD display has been put into the backbox, combined with a tiny color display put on the playfield, which allows for a completely unfettered mechanical playfield, while meshing theatrical cues, lighting, sounds and gorgeous animations into the game WITHOUT shortening the feel of the playfield and forcing players to stare at a video screen on the playfield while they play.

The fact that you felt the need to actually post pictures of P2k, as thought we all here aren't aware of how it looks, speaks volumes.

Is this the reaction you sought? "Holy crap!!! They made P2k?? It had a color display?? OMG OMG OMG OMG ...you blew my mind!"

Hehe. I'm not taking it personal. I'm just marveling at how obtuse WOZ haters actually are when trying to dismiss anything about the machine which has innovatively pushed pinball technology in this current market.

#535 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I marvel at how absolutely blind you are to see that virtually nothing JJP did with WOZ was true innovation. EVERYTHING on that pin has been done before. That is no comment on quality or how good the pin is, it's just a simple fact.

Gotcha. Read my earlier reply, which applies directly to your post.

Actually, here's your gorilla logic as applied to flippers: There's nothing truly innovative about the 'Italian bottom' because flippers were used on pinball machines for years before that.

True innovation can absolutely come from taking previously used technology and improving, upgrading, and implementing it in a much better way. That's what the WOZ display is.

Quoted from vid1900:

I don't care if a company is small (like JJP) or Spanish, if you are first to manufacturer something, you should get full credit for it.
First LCD backglass - give credit
First game with built in Webcam - give credit
First all LED machine (color changing) - give credit
First non plywood acrylic protected playfield - give credit
First no moving switch playfield - give credit

Sure, they remade an incredibly ugly, single level game from the 80's and put a bunch of new features on it. And??? As I asked before, because they put a LCD in their backbox for scores, that now means NOTHING about how the LCD is used in WOZ can be described as innovative?

Wow. You guys really hate Jack. LOL I find it amusing.

#538 9 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Dude really, you need to relax. Nobody is hating on WOZ. Step away from the keyboard and take a deep breath.

Ok, you guys are right!!! WOZ is just the same old machine, looks the same, nothing new about it ALL! It's just the same old technology, same old pinball machine.

I'm in no way doing anything but laughing at you guys, actually.

Carry on, everyone. There's no reason to post anymore in this thread. I've already realized I'm only arguing with the same 4 haters for this entire thread. I'll just leave you 4 guys to your infinite wisdom of how WOZ has no innovation. (LOL)

1 week later
#862 9 years ago

Haven't looked at this thread in a week, but I see the WOZ Hate is still flowing through you guys.... LOL

If LTG's image doesn't cheer you guys up, I don't know what will. Coolest thing I've seen today. Try to enjoy life and pinball.

256584.jpg256584.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.50
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mechslave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-hate-woz?tu=mechslave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.