wms_ninesisters2s.jpg
image-A4.jpg
Playfield 9 sisters .jpg
nine sisters.jpg
Tugger.jpg
i am a people person.gif
popcorn.gif
colonel sanders.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Acejedi:

This is the lamest thread that has been beat to death over and over again and of course here I am posting in it. You like WoZ great, You dont like WoZ no big deal, but its going over the same points we have all heard over and over again. I love my WoZ and Guess what I love My Stern LotR. I played a great Game of STLE the other night over at FatTrains and had fun on it as well. Some people love Tron some people hate it. Its like this with any pin thats why its great that we have so many choices and its such a great hobby, but I have said this over and over again. Every OP I have talked to that owns a WoZ on location here in CA says it makes more money on a regular basis then other new game including ST. Everybody has an opinion but to the person that made the comment about Jack being a BLowhard and Gary being fantastic, you should have been at the Banquet dinner in Chicago in 2010 when Stern had IM pre booking in the hall along with Avatar and wanted collectors to buy Their new game, but some of the first words out of Gary's mouth was "I dont build games for the Collectors my main market is oversees and the Small Hobby guy does not keep my Company alive" We all looked at each like Wow did he just say that? Then Of course Jody stepped in and tried to fix his fumbling misspoken sentence. The truth here is nobody is perfect, Gary has made mistakes and so has Jack, As Ive always said The Stern Factory was Data East then Sega then Stern!!!! Ask yourself this? Did Gary Build that from Scratch at the same time he was building his first pin from the ground up on a brand new operating system? Also ask any old OP that was buying Brand new Williams/Bally games out of the box if they were perfect or had Issues, you but be surprised at the response you get. Cirquis Volatire/Cactus Canyon and many other very sought after games now were big Flops back then, so you never know what the future will hold. Has anyone every asked Gary what his favorite game is? Answer the ones thats on the Line lol. Jack is not perfect nor is WoZ but nobody else is either and all games have issues, I mean I am in on MMR and have known Rick for Years and felt pretty let down that I was at both West Coast shows Dixon Ca and Seattle and I didnt get to see or play the game, but things happen, That does not mean that im gonna bash Rick or back out. Rick said July or August on Production, what happens if he misses that deadline are the PINSIDE Stakes and Pitchforks gonna come out? Maybe, but not from me. These types of threads just seem to me are just bad for Pinball and just hash up old topics that have been beat to death already. Ok im done Rant over.
Joe(acejedi)

paragraph.gifparagraph.gif

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

JJP's timeliness for...

Sorry, spit diet coke through my nose and couldn't read any further....

Go back to where (of ALL things) you are bragging on JJP's timeliness?

I think you're better of sticking with Macro #1:
"More toys, LCD, Widebody!!!!!, best built game in history, The Journey, Widebody, great software, Widebody, Stern Sucks,,, er, I mean, "Widebody'"

btw, this thread is dumb.... who the f@#$ "hates" a pinball machine? Good god, just don't drop a quarter in one you don't like and move on.... Hate Pinball???! Sigh.

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

WOZ will go down as a classic pin using a timeless theme, having one of the deepest rulesets in pinball, and offering more toys and features than other pin at the time. Best pinball machine ever made in my opinion. Thank you JJP

You can say that again!

#189 9 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I'm just glad to be a man whose masculinity is not threatened by a little whimsy.
The game is nothing short of astonishing for a first effort.

Disliking this game/theme has nothing to do with being homophobic (queue Seinfeld voice), "NOT that there's anything wrong with it..."

I also happen to dislike Stern's Mustang (and I've driven/owned 'Stang's for the last 7 years!).

Some themes just dont work for the everyone. Hey, "Little Red Riding Hood" is a "timeless classic" as well, but that doesnt mean I want to see it re-imagined on a pinball machine....hmmm... though the Amanda Seyfried translite might be a keeper....

#343 9 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

yeah this is definitely a game where the dust needs to settle a couple years before it can be evaluated on its merits.

You mean once they're all delivered?

#429 9 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Just so you guys know. I didn't start this thread to start shit. I was curious

Of COURSE you weren't intentionally trying to post something inflammatory.... no one think that in a million years!

It certainly would have been VERY difficult to gather these opinions on the VERY few other threads about Woz/JJP/Th

Also, this thread really allowed folks to air some previously unshared opinions about WoZ (ie, apparently Panzer likes his, a few people are unhappy with the pre-order process, etc).

#451 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

For the most part guy's don't like this theme..........

Hey, at least there's a few chicks in the WOZ story.....

Want to talk about a real sausage-fest? The Hobbit.

Are there many other pins with absolutely ZERO women in the artwork?

#465 9 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

But they could have made it good.

Unknown-259.jpeg 8 KB

Yes... i think the soundtrack could rock with this new cast

hetfield.jpghetfield.jpgsc.jpgsc.jpgtin.jpgtin.jpgdorth.jpgdorth.jpg

#490 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's funny cuz it's true!
If you post why you dislike WOZ in the WOZ owners thread you would get a thread eject. Why not here?

Cant stop the fanbois!!!!!

Truth be told, Panzer's incessant posting is a significant adder to the dislike of JJP... if he was disallowed from posting, the need ofr this type of thread would go away

#495 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

So I'm the reason this thread exists and its my fault? Same with some people disliking JJP? Truth be told my yellow brick road a$$...

lol... chill bro...
if you're not the reason the thread exists, you're certainly a huge contributor
.... 40+ posts in a thread about why people hate WoZ?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If I have to read other people's comments about how slow WOZ is, start crap in the WOZ shipping update thread,

Wait, wait, what? WoZ shipping thread?
I assumed they were all shipped months ago (ish) as Jack promised?

Are you saying they havent? Yikes...

Put your favorite red shoes back on and skip over to a local WoZ and play some pinball... life's too shirt to be so bitter!

3433473723.jpg3433473723.jpg

#500 9 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I see someone rated WOZ 4.515. Really???.'Makes the the rater look worse than the rated.

Agreed.

However, it's likely JUST as intellectually dishonest as the 10.0 ratings from May 2013.

Same story for most of the top 10-20 games Id guess...

#555 9 years ago
Quoted from vex:

this is sad but true. i was hoping jjp would be able to produce and deliver at least 2 games a year by now.

Come on- at least be fair!

JJP is producing more than 2 games a year! Hell, I think they have almost produced DOUBLE that this month alone!

Delivery jokes aside,

I think it's disingenuous NOT to give JJP some props for the LCD. Is it according-to-Hoyle the absolute first to ever use a LCD screen in a pin? Maybe not. However, they have implemented it in a pretty unique and interesting way.

Stern put out 2 music pins in mono? Hmmm, I think I have to give some props to JJP in the sound dept as well.

#558 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gary Stern used to make stereo pinball machines like Laser War, but most people can't tell the difference.
When you go to a music club, that music is not stereo.
When you go to a music concert, that music is not stereo.
Even most pop music on CD is 2 channel, but not actually a true X-Y stereo recording.
It's entertainment. If you are entertained, it did it's job.

I was entertained, but FFS, time to kick the sound up a notch.
I love acdc, but that doesn't mean I don't think the artwork is shit and the sound could be better.

#576 9 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

Stern cranking 250 or so a month would be close, certainly they could have thousands done in 3-4 months. You say you not letting "him off the hook"- but your words are hollow and sound like excuses to me. Until Jack delivers ALL the pre orders he is has not done anything in my book!

I think JJP has innovated. No question.

But it's not just about delivering the WOZ pre-orders:

Until he can actually BUILD and ship pinball machines without pre-order "welfare money", then the business model will continue to be shaky/risky. The "Stealing from Peter to pay Paul" financing model is not sustainable.

It seems like this might be the case by JJP #3. I certainly hope so!

I'm still tentatively a buyer for TH, but not until I can buy one "off the shelf" which likely means I've got some waiting to do...

#577 9 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Innovation and production are two very different things..

Agree 100%
JJP has done one of those things amazing well.
JJP has done the other incredibly poorly.

It's too bad Jack started off this project in a jihad slamming stern. If he had forged a deal similar to the MMr-Stern deal- JJP might be shipping #3 or #4 by now.

Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Stern wouldn't have a prayer producing thousands of WoZ's in a 30-60 day window.

Maybe not 1000 in 2 months, but it certainly wouldn't have taken 3 years...probably more like 3-4 months.

#588 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Pinball "welfare" money funded WOZ and TH? Wow. I don't recall anyone on welfare ever starting a company and creating a product superior to their competitor. Stealing money from Peter to pay Paul. Last I checked people like myself paid Jack for a WOZ ECLE and received an ECLE.

Come on Panzer, surely you understood the point? Ironically you love to complain about the same people criticizing JJP and yet you will blindly attack those same people without even understanding their comments. If you re-read my post - the only I said about JJP *games* was complementary; I simply stated the funding model is not sustainable. I'm shocked anyone would find that controversial!?!?

But, Ill give you the benefit of the doubt and explain what I meant:

I put preorder "welfare money" in quotes precisely because i didn't mean *literally* welfare money. I meant on WoZ, JJP had:
WoZ pre-payments,
new WoZ order payments, and
even some TH pre-payments to fund his operations.

My simple point was that for them to be healthy and sustainable, they will need to get to a point where they dont need to hold buyers money for 2+ years to keep the lights on and get product out the door. AND truly be able to ship what's paid for without needing to "line-jump" new orders for cashflow infusion.

WoZ seems like a great game (for those that like the theme)
TH is a great theme- tons of potential
JJP #3 has "The Master" working on it- not much of a better pedigree out there...

The actual games look to be solid, its their business model and production planning thats still shaky.

#606 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya, you have some good points. I agree that putting up pre-order money for 3 years is not a sustainable business model. If The Hobbit takes 3 years to ship there's a problem. The first games took so long to get out the door (which from a new product standpoint isn't that long) because JJP started from scratch. Let's hope that The Hobbit does start shipping December. Only 6 months to go!

I agree that the JJP had to start from scratch and comparing their production rates to Stern's is comparing apples to Orangutans.

The thing that scares me a little about TH is the WoZ production issues dont really seem to have subsided. I think if they were shipping 10 games/week the first month, then 25/week after 3 months, then 50/week after 6 months- it would be a different story. You could then easily attribute the slow shipping to their ramping up and the learning curve.

That's not what has happened.

If you just look at whats happened since the "90-days-ish" comment- it's clear they still don't have a handle on production- or even remotely being able to forecast it correctly. It looks like they might blow that last prediction by a factor of 2... or more.

I mean- geez- people are all ecstatic when there's a report/sighting on a dozen boxes ready to ship at the factory! Well, hell, THATS how many they were predicting they could ship EVERY day!

Anyways- that's all well-covered turf. My concern for the future is we aren't seeing production trending up like one might expect....

Now, if the supply-chain is drastically different for TH, then perhaps WoZ trends arent a good measure of TH capabilities... I hope that's partially the case.

#661 9 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am not fully up to speed on what JJP's written warranty policy is but I will say from my own experience that Jack/JJP back their stuff big time! .

I dont think JJPs' written policy is much different than most.

However, its this kind of thing that makes one scratch your head:

JJP_PR_Fail_numer 132.JPGJJP_PR_Fail_numer 132.JPG

Original post:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-nib-wozle-7500-huo-transformers-le-autobots-4500-huo-safecracker-8k#postbox

Say what you will about Gary Stern, but Im about 101% sure he would not take the time and go out of his way to crap on someones forsale thread to highlight that it would have no warranty coverage!

#730 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's silly for us to continue this argument over a pinball machine of all things. I don't want to do it anymore. I apologize for the part I played in it and will exit this thread for good.

Good idea. Stick to the WOZ fan club thread.... You will be much happier.

As I said a long time ago (and was recently repeated here), YOU are one of reasons people have WOZ-exhaustion. The incessant need to respond to EVERY critical post comes off as foolish.... and when you DO make a relevant point (which you DO), it gets lost in the noise of "toys, magnets, topper, code updates" etc.

At least guys like iceman (a clear WOZ fan) seems to moderate his praise with reality.

Here's my take:

WOZ is a significantly evolutionary step forward in pinball. I see lots of innovation I the game: the LCD, the sound, the crystal ball, the deep code set, the great cabinet, etc. Jack beat the odds and DID get his first game (nearly) out the door. While I don't care for the theme or gameplay, I can appreciate the accomplishment. I don't hate WOZ. That's just silly.

Having said that, I absolutely detest the shenanigans that have taken place with JJP and their handing of the pre-orders and communicating of (my opinion) knowingly false shipping dates/promises. It's a great game, but the END doesn't justify the MEANS....

I hope JJP cleans up their house and can deal with folks in a more honest and straightforward manner. I'm a likely buyer for TH and perhaps the PL game as well.... But not till I can confirm a shipping game.

There. I've not slammed WOZ. JJP will continue to earn criticism on its business practice until JJP fixes it. Jack has all the power to silence his critics.... I hope he does.

#745 9 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

You calling Jack a liar sir?

Never!!! In fact:

Quoted from JerseyJack:

If I look back I would say that I was "too honest" ....

#783 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I'm sorry I confused someone with your mediocre technical skill level but the fact remains the "PC" as it was described did not crash. Period. End of sentence.

i am a people person.gifi am a people person.gif

#786 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

After 20 years of running, they need some TLC.

key point.

I wonder what some of today's pin will look like in 20 years....even 10 years. I suspect (if any are even around) it wont be a pretty sight....

#846 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

Flash and Firepower are from 1979 and 1980 and you are comparing them to games of today really wow.

Agreed.

Comparing sales stats from 2 completely different ERA's of pinball is useless. If you adjust them for the total pinballs made in those years - you'd get a more reasonable comparison.

In a reverse example- it's Kind of like saying the ford model T was a failure because they only sold 10,000 of them the first year. 10k is paltry sales today, but it 1905 (or whenever) there's was only like 200k TOTAL cars on the road.... 10k was massive.

But to the whole topic:
Measuring a game by the number of ramps it has?
That's almost as inane as simply counting the number of toys.

A pinball machine is not just a bill of materials, it's how those parts PLAY.

#871 9 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

These are master level debate and communication skills we are seeing here. Rare stuff. Is "Ha Ha Ha Ha!" his sig line, or is he typing this out every time? Either way, genius.

Dude.... you are arguing with a guy whose username is "joemama" and tag is FUK? You weren't really expecting mensa-level intercourse* were you?

*Note to Joemama, Google "intercourse" before you freak out... you may have to scroll down to the 2nd one...

#881 9 years ago
Quoted from joemamma:

I'm 9, but will be 10 in a month.

Chris Kruger

So you were in kindergarten when folks started paying for their Wozzes...and now your a big boy with internet access and everything!!

No idea why, but that's funny.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.95
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-hate-woz?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.