wms_ninesisters2s.jpg
image-A4.jpg
Playfield 9 sisters .jpg
nine sisters.jpg
Tugger.jpg
i am a people person.gif
popcorn.gif
colonel sanders.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#194 9 years ago

Theme.

#386 9 years ago

Calling someone gay for owning the WOZ is foolish, clearly the correct terminology is curious and hey that's cool. Just Kidding, the game looks beautiful but man the theme is brutal. I'm in for the Hobbit no JJP bias here it's just the theme, I played it for a couple hours the other night and the gameplay was ok but the music and call outs were just terrible. I will admit for me theme trumps gameplay to a degree, I'm not a LOTR's fan but the pin is awesome and its a little dark with the modes and call outs, WOZ felt like it was made for young children and that's OK too. The word hate is too harsh for any pin, its not my thing just as some people will never really enjoy Met because they are country fans, theme is important and if you love you're WOZ pin then that's all that matters. I hope JJP makes TH a little more of a dark game.

#401 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I can see you have never owned creature

No I have not but played it many times and it falls in the same category as WOZ theme wise for me. Didn't hate it, but couldn't stand it.

#449 9 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

I find it interesting that people think that guys don't like this theme. I frankly don't have a strong opinion either way. Here is what I can tell you. My wife and kids saw it and they wanted it.
My wife has had zero interest in the other machines we brought into the house. To her, WoZ was well done and she really liked the vid screen. We are still waiting for our LE and are fine with the wait. If we weren't ok with the wait, we would have had our money back a long time ago.
Bottom line is the theme is timeless and appeals to a different group. TH will satisfy the other side.
As for slow game play.....if one doesn't like WoZ because of start/stop, they should not like games like TZ and Totan. I think it is just style preference.
All and all the innovation out of JJP is changing the industry. That is good for all of us.

For the most part guy's don't like this theme, its ok if you do but man it definitely hits a nerve with the guys who do own it defending the theme. Sorry but its geared for women and children and thats ok but I have to say and I will take shit for this to me the pinball is girly, I mean follow the yellow brick road, over the rainbow, I can't go on, I hope you enjoy playing WOZ and love the pin but the thread is "why do people hate it" THEME..........

#454 9 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Hey, at least there's a few chicks in the WOZ story.....
Want to talk about a real sausage-fest? The Hobbit.
Are there many other pins with absolutely ZERO women in the artwork?

Yeah but I don't want women in my pinball, Luci is an exception for sure. I like women watching me play pinball or I can watch attractive girls play pinball and bounce up and down a little but whats next The Golden Girls?

1 week later
#645 9 years ago

Its not about gameplay or even shipping and delivery status, I played an LE version and yeah the thing is beautiful and its plays nice if your into that playfield layout which is a little more along the lines of TZ or TSPP in terms of upper playfields and center ramps, this is about theme plain and simple if you can handle it then great if not then don't buy it. Post title should be "why some pinsiders will never buy WOZ" the answer is theme, I liked the movie when I was a little kid but I wouldn't buy a Smurfs pinball either. The music and call outs are not good at all, I understand though that some guys really love the pin. My top themes will never see a pinball machine, Predator comes close but man would I love some horror pins done well or heavy bands like Slayer, Metallica is about as heavy as its going to get and if JJP does a Slayer pin it would be received with the same discontent for theme and I would not care at all. So I guess what I'm saying is bring on the Slayer pin with Pat Lawlor design.

2 years later
#898 7 years ago

theme, theme and theme. Its plays nice and is a fun pin but man the theme sucks and for me is a waste of a cool layout and great rule set, spinning house would have made for a fantastic Evil Dead 2 pin but I know that's unlikely and I am glad some people got a pin they love so all good.

#907 7 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

The theme grew on me. It's kind of quirky and works well for a pinball game. It fits the journey of the movie and is actually kind of funny. However, there are some cheesy call-outs that I don't appreciate. Overall, I went from despising the theme to really enjoying it.

Impossible, yellow brick road and 30's show tunes, somewhere over the rainbow? no thanks.

#915 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't hate woz, but at the same time I don't own one or care to play it again. It's out there though for people that are into that sort of thing.

And by that do you mean

The_Name_Liza (resized).jpgThe_Name_Liza (resized).jpg
maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

#919 7 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Anyway, just this child of the 70s and 80s opinion on the theme.

I'm born in '74 and yeah I remember watching the WOZ but by the time I was maybe 10 or so that movie died and stayed dead, but I get it and while I like to bother guys regarding the theme to each his own, I'm a known jack ass and proud, I grew up with Ghostbusters and can still watch the films but they have lost something as I've matured and its not a theme I'm interested in for pinball, certain films/music etc. just didn't progress with me into adulthood, somethings did like Looney Tunes and Fletch, then there's the the great stuff from that time that I liked back in the day but couldn't fully appreciate till much later and they have a hold on me in reagrds to both nostalgia and overall coolness level, Aliens, Blade Runner, Close Encounters and Jaws to name a few. Ah who cares anyway...

#934 7 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Cause woz as well the hobbit turned out to be phenomenal games and lightyears ahead of any other pins being produced by the competition.

To you they are phenomenal, I think they look nice and play well but light years ahead of any of pins being made is just ridiculous.

Quoted from RTS:

Folks who dismiss a great game because they think the theme is lame are completely missing out.
If people think dragons and medieval warriors, space travelers or comic book characters are somehow "cool,"they are misguided. It's all within the same nerdy pinball spectrum.
Owning a Spider-Man instead of a Wizard of Oz doesn't raise your street cred. You're still a nerd.
What matters is design, gadgetry, strategy, sound, art, and rules. Fun and challenge dominate over theme if game-play is at all a concern.

First of all dragons, medieval warriors, space travelers and even comic book hero's are cool especially compared to WOZ so thats just dumb and I don't own SM for the same reason I won't own WOZ, not my thing, if its urs then great but don't tell me I'm missing out because I can't get over what is for me a shit theme, theme is just as important or more so than gameplay when purchasing a pin and definitely more so when it comes to longevity in my collection, I'll play WOZ in the wild but I would feel strange with it in my house but thats me, I don't care if you would pass on Aliens because its too violent or creepy in fact I would love that, it would make owning one even better.

#945 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Impressive. Someone might've seen you playing in the wild and thought you were a woman or a child. More likely a child.

I can't argue with that. Come on man there's ruby encrusted women's red shoes on the flippers and a the word Rainbow, its all good if you can handle that why isn't ok that I can't?

#946 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i feel like the day i became a man was the day i stopped worrying about whether or not i was one.

I think all you guys are ready for the steam baths As long as you enjoy it that's all that matters

#948 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

That and Pippi Longstocking came on once a year.

I think you mean Pepe Longsocks don't you? Jump the Weeds multiball, sounds good to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 24.50
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hazoff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-hate-woz?tu=hazoff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.