(Topic ID: 113598)

Why do people erase asking price when pin is sold?

By badbilly27

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Past_Sold.PNG
    Current_Collection.JPG
    Unknown.jpeg

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

I don't get it. People list a pinball machine for sale with description and asking price in the thread. When game is sold they go back into the thread and edit it SOLD. Got it, and thank you.

But why do you erase the asking price? It's a bummer because when others are looking up price benchmarks that history is gone.

#2 9 years ago

that's exactly why... so the price can be set by the next seller(s)

#3 9 years ago

because asking and selling are two different things

#4 9 years ago

Carnivore!

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from flecom:

that's exactly why... so the price can be set by the next seller(s)

That's BS though. The market dictates the price AND what a buyer is willing to pay. A seller can ask anything for his game. May or may not sell at that price. Condition and other factors influence the price. No need to erase history.

We use the boston pinball price trend sheet and other pinball so called pricing guides. Pinside is more current an accurate so long as people don't erase asking prices. Yeah, it may not sell for asking price but at least there is a benchmark. Robin should create a rule - you use pinside to sell you must keep the price listed in the thread.

Quoted from luch:

Agreed then why erase asking price?

#6 9 years ago

Talk about annoying...same as a thread with no price just best offer.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I think it's a tad different. Best offer means their listing it and open to best price they receive. A listing that has a specific asking price then removes it is just crap.

Pdx I get from my recent for sale thread people really want a price then best offer after. I conformed because I get the angst surrounding and open "best offer" for sale post for some. But erasing your listing price I think should be penalized. It's counter to the community knowledge sharing.

#8 9 years ago

I recently asked the same thing and got many answers (excuses) and was damn near castrated for thinking the same exact thing. I'm with you on this one though, shouldn't be a secret.

#9 9 years ago

I dont mind that at all, once its sold its sold...dont care. What I hate is that people cant put a location in there thread title and you have to click on every for sale thread just to see where its located at .......o' thats assuming they have there location listed in either the ad or next to there avatar.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

But erasing your listing price I think should be penalized. It's counter to the community knowledge sharing.

what's next? mandatory revelation of the selling price?

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I dont mind that at all, once its sold its sold...dont care. What I hate is that people cant put a location in there thread title and you have to click on every for sale thread just to see where its located at .......o' thats assuming they have there location listed in either the ad or next to there Avatar.
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, MI.
    269-979-3836

Another excellent point!

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

what's next? mandatory revelation of the selling price?

I know your shitck is one liner grumpy slams (which I occasionally enjoy mind you). But, no one is suggesting mandatory disclosure of selling price. It's quite elementary - if you use pinside to list a pinball machine for sale with asking price - that listing price should not be allowed to be removed when game is sold.

If your not into the community knowledge share then don't use the site. Simple.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

It's something more along these lines. If you are proud enough to post a sale price to begin with, you shouldn't feel any different about the price when it sells. So that said, I think most of the price deleted users are the type of people who started out asking $6500 for their modded to the gills IM for example, and ended up settling on $4500 when they came back to reality and are embarrassed to have that known in public for all eternity. I personally wouldn't delete a sale price from an ad, I don't think it is a big deal, and it helps others get a gauge on the value of a machine. I'm not saying I would go back and update the asking price down to the cent if we settled on $1750 instead of $1800 either though, so take the for sale ads for what they are worth, a rough estimate. Sale prices can vary from location, game condition, terms and add-ons so it is not an end all be all pricewise, but every little bit of information helps.

#14 9 years ago

Honestly never thought any of these ways about . I list it and then the adjust the price sometimes and yes went back and wrote sold over the price once gone to show it was gone. Never considered anything else about it.
    Also because reading comprehension here sometimes is horrible and seeing price seems to keep people asking. Heck look at sold games threads and four posts down folks are opening without reading the post above and asking about the sale.

#15 9 years ago

Whenever a seller is embarrassed that they had to take substantially less that the asking price, they ALWAYS erase the posted price.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Honestly never thought any of these ways about . I listed he takes adjusted the price sometimes and yes went back and wrote sold over the price once gone to show it was gone. Never considered anything ales about it.

Ignorance is no excuse. All I ask is going forward people consider not erasing their listing price. No need to go back and update the price if sold for a different price - just leave the listed price for prosperity.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I don't get it. People list a pinball machine for sale with description and asking price in the thread. When game is sold they go back into the thread and edit it SOLD. Got it, and thank you.
    But why do you erase the asking price? It's a bummer because when others are looking up price benchmarks that history is gone.

It only takes one person in each FS thread to hit "quote" on the original post along with whatever their 'witty' comment is for the 'Bump' to preserve the history forever.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Yipykya:

It only takes one person in each FS thread to hit "quote" on the original post along with whatever their 'witty' comment is for the 'Bump' to preserve the history forever.

There you go badbilly. Make it your personal mission to go and quote the initial post in every for sale post and you will get your wish.

#19 9 years ago

If you want to know what the actual selling price was, why not pm the seller and ask nicely. I given and gotten the info your looking for in this manner. I've also been personally attacked for the information through my FS Posts guess how that went for the person looking for selling info?

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Yipykya:

Quoted from LesManley:

There you go badbilly. Make it your personal mission to go and quote the initial post in every for sale post and you will get your wish.

....OR people could not erase their listing price when the game is sold.

#22 9 years ago

Revealed: $10,000.00

#23 9 years ago

I actually feel as a pinball community those of us that use Pinside and other pinball sites would benefit greatly having both asking and selling price posted on every machine sold.

Machines are only worth what someone is willing to pay and every machine varies in condition etc. But it is nice as both a buyer & seller to have some idea what recent trends are on each title. So having selling price posted as well as original asking price & a description is a huge help.

I see no down side to both buyers & sellers knowing current market trends on a title.

On the other had I kind of understand not wanting everyone knowing my business. So I do kind of understand why people take prices out of a post.

I guess all we can do is be thankful for what information is out there but it would be nice if people stopped removing asking prices which seems to be the trend these days.

#24 9 years ago

Another pinside thread that's going nowhere.
    Mr pinball charges money for sale info.
    I'm willing to sell it to you.
    In all seriousness why doesn't robin just have a page where prices of actual sales can be posted with a date of when.

#25 9 years ago

I would add that it also helps keep down multiple threads asking what the value is of whatever title they are looking at buying. By being able to search & find prices (even if it's not the final selling price) it's very helpful and at least gives you a ballpark without having to wait for people to chime in & then start arguing about what said title should be going for.

#26 9 years ago

I guess it's possible this information could be used in a court of law??. With all the IRS scandals lately I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted a cut too!

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

Another pinside thread that's going nowhere.

Unknown.jpegUnknown.jpeg
    #28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

If you want to know what the actual selling price was, why not pm the seller and ask nicely. I given and gotten the info your looking for in this manner. I've also been personally attacked for the information through my FS Posts guess how that went for the person looking for selling info?

I've done this several times myself, and have never been refused the information as I always have a valid reason for asking (getting ready to buy or sell the same pin).

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I've done this several times myself, and have never been refused the information as I always have a valid reason for asking (getting ready to buy or sell the same pin).

I've done this as well recently. And a good % will share info with you privately. But why does it have to go this route? Why hide your listed price after the fact?

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I've done this as well recently. And a good % will share info with you privately. But why does it have to go this route? Why hide your listed price after the fact?

Yeah, I've never understood that either.

#31 9 years ago

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Just leave the price up! It helps other sellers feel out the realistic market. If some people can't figure out the thread is 2 years old or the pin was located on a remote coastal island, that's their problem. If it didn't sell for asking price you can infer it was somewhere in the neighborhood.

#32 9 years ago

Bye, bye , now.

#33 9 years ago

Maybe the price guide publishers ask sellers to do this to help sell their guides. Follow the money.....

#34 9 years ago

The times I've taken the price out I've done it because I sold it to someone here. It's a small community and I see price paid categorized as 'the buyer's personal financial information', so it isn't something I like to advertise. I'm always proud of a sale though, I have never done it to save face after dropping the price. I drop prices with a smile

#35 9 years ago

Seems to me you have a great collection of expensive pins at home already... Do you really need a price guide to tell you what to pay for a machine? If you don't have an idea by now, I feel bad for you.
    I have sold 4 of my pins in the last year. When some yahoo starts out telling what the latest and greatest price says one of my pins is worth... Its over. I will tell you to go f*ck yourself and your price guide. Anyone with more 3 machines should have a clue as to the value, condition, and demand of a pin in the area they live in. And if your not buying, why do you need to know what the selling price is? I don't get it. Buy a pin to play and enjoy. Not to worry about if it was over/under priced. No fun in that.

#36 9 years ago

I've sold two pins and while neither sold through pinside (both through Craigslist) I had FS threads here and listed both the asking price and the sale price. No sweat.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jimmydred:

Seems to me you have a great collection of expensive pins at home already... Do you really need a price guide to tell you what to pay for a machine? If you don't have an idea by now, I feel bad for you.
    I have sold 4 of my pins in the last year. When some yahoo starts out telling what the latest and greatest price says one of my pins is worth... Its over. I will tell you to go f*ck yourself and your price guide. Anyone with more 3 machines should have a clue as to the value, condition, and demand of a pin in the area they live in. And if your not buying, why do you need to know what the selling price is? I don't get it. Buy a pin to play and enjoy. Not to worry about if it was over/under priced. No fun in that.

My son & I have bought and sold dozens of pinball machines over the 6 years we have been in the hobby and I still research EVERY machine I buy or sell. I don't care how involved in the hobby you are or how many machines you buy and sell each year - it is impossible to know what a giving title is worth on a given day in a given area without doing some research.

Since we are limited on space (as pretty much everyone in the hobby is) and love working on machines we constantly are buying or selling something. We try to keep our prices fairly cheap when we sell so we have to be careful what we pay for machines. We don't try to make a ton of money on machines but we also don't want to take a loss on machines when we finally decide to sell. So having a history of prices really helps.

Boston Pinball is a great FREE reference but it only tells part of the story. And price guides are basically out of date before they are even published so they are basically worthless when researching prices but are a valuable resource for other information.

I don't think leaving asking price of a machine has any down side so I see no point of posters taking prices out after a sale. And as far as the IRS argument if IRS is looking at you that closely you are already in trouble regardless if price is posted on not.

Funny thing as far as IRS & "profits" from buying & selling pinball machines. If you do the math it is pretty much impossible to make money selling pinball machines. Once you figure cost of machine, fuel mileage deduction for miles driven to pick it up, cost of parts & supplies, etc very few people are really making a profit selling pinball machines these days. And even if you do make a few dollars selling one it is more than likely you will take a loss on the next one and average out breaking even overall anyway.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

People only want to boast when they buy a game cheap. Sellers don't want to admit to selling high or low.

It should be a service of the community honestly.. even if data is scrubbed of the seller's ID itself, while other key data is retained for prosperity (seller submits sales price, condition, and location as a payment for using pinside as a market).

Alas there seems to be too much at stake for people personally to share the data for all.

Price guides like Mr Pinball track trends, but not every sale so to speak.. leaving most data only from ebay which is god aweful.

#39 9 years ago

too-many-pins (quote): Since we are limited on space (as pretty much everyone in the hobby is) and love working on machines we constantly are buying or selling something. We try to keep our prices fairly cheap when we sell so we have to be careful what we pay for machines. We don't try to make a ton of money on machines but we also don't want to take a loss on machines when we finally decide to sell. So having a history of prices really helps.

Boston Pinball is a great FREE reference but it only tells part of the story. And price guides are basically out of date before they are even published so they are basically worthless when researching prices but are a valuable resource for other information.

^^^^^exactly^^^^^

#40 9 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

The times I've taken the price out I've done it because I sold it to someone here. It's a small community and I see price paid categorized as 'the buyer's personal financial information', so it isn't something I like to advertise.

I get what you're saying but I've seen it done for different reasons "community" wise. Like when the buyer takes possession of your pin and now decides to sell it three months later for more money no one in the community is the wiser. His right mind you, but doesn't want anyone to know they may be flipping.

No one needs to know who bought your pin, thus not tied to their personal finances. If they choose to publicize they bought it from you, that was their conscious choice.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Everyone can list how they want but i do not ever respond to a best offer thread. Tell us what you want for it, even if its crazy high.

#42 9 years ago

It would be nice if you leave or even state what it was sold for, so later on down the road, when you tell someone that "such and such game recently sold for this" and 3 other idiots on here tell you....no way, it's at least a 4k game or some other bullshit people on here spout off. It would be nice to be able to just link the damn FS posts from here. I used to do it all the time on RGP.

I remember on RGP we used to get into it on Wh20. All day long it was a $1500 game. The people who had 3k + invested would tell you, no way, you won't find them under 2...this and that. Yet, I could link 3 FS posts in the last 2 weeks that said otherwise. Then they STFU.

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Makes no sense, its not like people are signing Jpop NDA's

Help a fellow Pinsider out for future buys/sells. I don't get it either. I'd go out of my way to help.

#44 9 years ago

All of my SOLD threads have prices except for HS2, which went for $2100 - $2200. I will never, ever, ever hide my selling prices. I think that is a real lame way to save face when the seller realizes "Oh, guess I can't get $5000 extra for $1000 worth of mods...." - annoys the heck out of me. Hey, I have no problem saying I start some of my games at $500 higher than what I sold them for, and I make sure that information stays in place for anyone to read.

To me, this is a super-small and tight-knit community. The prices should not be edited; they need to be there for posterity's sake and to help other potential buyers get a bead on what a certain title could potentially be going for at that time.

#45 9 years ago

this was cited as one of the reasons Robin was considering limiting editing posts to some set period, such as two hours or 24 hours or whatever. that way people couldn't go back and "change history". the idea didn't fly because of various good reasons, but i agree it does suck that prices get edited out.

#46 9 years ago

I'm part of a watch forum as well as this.

One of the rules there is no removing of the price from the ad.

Gives a good history of the market. JMPO.

#47 9 years ago

I do like how the original link still has price if the original title had the ask. Neat lil trick

#48 9 years ago

Let me ask this...I have seen prices edited out, but then in the course of the thread someone quoted the original posting in a comment & the price is still there. (unless I'm remembering wrong). So as long as someone quotes the original price, it's locked in... Right?

#49 9 years ago

Well you have two problems.. Those that edit and asking vs selling price

Still would be the best value if there was a submission system

#50 9 years ago

My vote is to keep the asking price, and not edit it out, especially on uncommon games, so we have a guide of recent pricing.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-erase-asking-price-when-pin-is-sold and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.