(Topic ID: 205821)

Why Do People Care About The Shooter Lanes So Much?

By MikePags

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MrBally
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20141031_115643 (resized).jpg
    There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

It’s actually the shooter lane base, or kick up area between the trough opening and shooter lane base, that’s critical. It depends on what condition a person likes their games to be in. If one just want player level machines, then shooter lane doesn’t matter. If one wants collector quality huo stuff, it’s the first telltale sign of a game’s usage history. If the shooter lane looks perfect, the rest of the playfield will most likely follow suit. Pins built in the last year Or two should be perfect, especially used in a home. The older the game though, especially 90’s Bally Williams games, the more important and rare it becomes to find nice ones

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

They would kick the coin door, scuffing it up. If I see a pin with bent legs or scuffed up coin doors, I know it has definitely been on route or in an arcade

happens to home games too... not everyone treats pins like china...

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

the coin door thing is only a good tell if someone is claiming HUO. If it's a black powdercoated door, it usually will tell you if it's HUO (or very low plays) or not.

it also shows if its a re import or not...unless someone changed it with a usa coin door.

#54 6 years ago

Some people view the shooter lane like their penis, an extension of themselves. They wish it were longer and harder than it is. They like to know where it's been and where the dings and discoloration originated. If it turns out that the shooter lane is a little softer than desired or if it shows signs of wear, the owner of the pinball machine worries about having to explain it to others.

When buying a pin remotely and having it shipped, sometimes the buyer does not provide any pics showing the shooter lane, and this is wrong. This is typically the point where someone will request to see a specific pic of the shooter lane. People will always want to see and discuss the shooter lane, so it is best for the seller to include a pic along with the others. There is nothing to be ashamed of unless unless the game was ridden hard and put away wet. In extreme cases such as this, it is better not to look directly at the shooter lane at all, rather plan on plunging the ball and enjoying the game. Mods can be added to divert attention away from the lane.

When playing someone else's game, if you notice the shooter lane has poor hygiene, refrain from making comments and be sure to hold your disgust until well after leaving the premises and thoroughly washing your hands. At that point, feel free to let loose with the full fire and fury that only a fellow pinhead can muster. Judge the owner with the same contempt you would any other loser and nobody's feelings get hurt.

I prefer my shooter lanes to look shiny and new (and to be long and hard). And that's the story behind the weird fascination with pinball shooter lanes and it's importance in pinball collecting.

#55 6 years ago

When I sell a game I take a lot of pictures and include one of the shooter lane. I consider it a common courtesy to take as many detailed pictures as possible.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Speaking of stupid things pinball people care about is adding cliffys to a new game. It makes no sense to me to add an ugly ass piece of metal to your playfield to prevent wear when if and when the PF wears you can put that ugly metal on there then. It's like the plastic cover on my grandma's couch. So dumb.

I've been guilty of this, but have come around to your way of thinking. The grandma plastic couch protector is an excellent analogy! I don't have a problem with the appearance...I have a problem with the shot feel/difficulty. Just removed the cliffy from my DILE phone scoop and the shot feels so much better. Same with KISS. Same with The Neutral Zone on STTNG.

snaroff

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

If the shooter lane looks perfect, the rest of the playfield will most likely follow suit.
    Pins built in the last year Or two should be perfect, especially used in a home.

Ha...man I don't know which one of those statements is more wrong.

#58 6 years ago

I don't care about shooter lanes at all. Everyone always asks about mine. I just care about game play

#59 6 years ago

I don't really care about the shooter lane. But I am obsessed with inserts. I have issues and will sometimes loose track of the ball thinking "was that insert ghosting in both the right and was is always that high"? I always take pictures of my shooter lane on any of my games I'm selling because if not I will be asked a hundred times.

#60 6 years ago

Misnomer, not a guarantee.

A misaligned ejector coil in conjunction and/or with the ball trough can cause more chewed up damage in this area than gameplay to the entire playfield that can remain exemplary in a very short amount of time (days on a route or weeks in a home), resulting in damage that makes a game not what a person may believe it is overall. Some of this is can be caused by a ball repeatedly being bounced back into the trough. A shooter lane is not a guarantee, only an indicator of condition of a game, and neither are inserts, which can simply be heat bulb damage on older games, or even quality assurance defects or coating deficiencies.

If a person is concerned about a shooter lane, roll up sleeves, and fix it. Adjust/rebuild the parts. A quick microsand of the shooter lane with a fiberglass pen and the damage can disappear in less than 30 minutes work and touch up with clear. Apply a protector or mylar afterwards, if really OCD. I examine complicated assemblies first for wear/tear with the actual playfield condition which gives more importance when evaluating a game for purchase.

Restorers know what to look for when it comes to what is called "diamonds in the rough" machines rather than a shooter lane alone. I would rather have dirt grooves/roughened edges in the shooter lane than a planking playfield caused by moisture damage or dirt swirls imbedded into the lacquer coating.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Unless your shooter lane has protection or a Cliffy, I have to think it shows more than 100 plays.
    Like others have said, shooter lane is just one way to help determine the history of a game. It’s like counting the rings on a tree to determine the age, 100% accurate 60% of the time.

"90% of the game is half mental"

"no one goes there anymore, it's too crowded"

#62 6 years ago

I only provide pics of my shooter lane..i mean that's all you really need to judge a game. If they ask.. how's the cab?... have you seen my shooter lane? How's the b/g.... have to seen my shooter lane? P/f have wear.... but have you seen my shooter lane

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Misnomer, not a guarantee.
    A misaligned ejector coil in conjunction and/or with the ball trough can cause more chewed up damage in this area than gameplay to the entire playfield that can remain exemplary in a very short amount of time (days on a route or weeks in a home), resulting in damage that makes a game not what a person may believe it is overall. Some of this is can be caused by a ball repeatedly being bounced back into the trough. A shooter lane is not a guarantee, only an indicator of condition of a game, and neither are inserts, which can simply be heat bulb damage on older games, or even quality assurance defects or coating deficiencies.
    If a person is concerned about a shooter lane, roll up sleeves, and fix it. Adjust/rebuild the parts. A quick microsand of the shooter lane with a fiberglass pen and the damage can disappear in less than 30 minutes work and touch up with clear. Apply a protector or mylar afterwards, if really OCD. I examine complicated assemblies first for wear/tear with the actual playfield condition which gives more importance when evaluating a game for purchase.
    Restorers know what to look for when it comes to what is called "diamonds in the rough" machines rather than a shooter lane alone. I would rather have dirt grooves/roughened edges in the shooter lane than a planking playfield caused by moisture damage or dirt swirls imbedded into the lacquer coating.

Exactly.

#64 6 years ago

I remove the shooter lanes from every new game I get. That way, the playfield can't become any worse than it is the day I bought it. I'm smart like that.

#65 6 years ago

IMG_20141031_115643 (resized).jpgIMG_20141031_115643 (resized).jpg 77 year old game slight wear

#66 6 years ago

I thought it was a joke from several years ago.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from terrapinmark:

I thought it was a joke from several years ago.

Like the Jaws pinball machine it's the standard Pinside joking becomes reality.

#68 6 years ago

People also forget people like treasure cove helped build the image when they started painting and refinishing shooter lanes to make them "look" better. This got associated with a game that looks fresh verse other games on the market... even tho it was more about lipstick than beauty. It then became a meme almost in itself... and then the pinside angle took it and ran

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Like the Jaws pinball machine it's the standard Pinside joking becomes reality.

You mean like Kiss and Ghostbusters?

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You mean like Kiss and Ghostbusters?

Not that I remember.
    No one talked aboot GB as a possible theme until it was leaked super early. I don't remember anyone talking aboot Kiss either...but even then it's already been a pinball theme so it isn't as much as a rumor as Jaws or IM

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No one talked aboot GB as a possible theme until it was leaked super early.

I think it started here.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fantasy-pinball-machine-if-you-could-what-wood#post-604

#72 6 years ago

Yes yes odin I've already done that search too, and after a few people mentioning it would make a great game 8 years ago, the only talk of GB after that for years is LEDs.

#73 6 years ago

I'm just pointing out if it is something enough pinsiders beg for, no matter how outdated or lame, there is a good chance it will become a new pinball theme. I have no idea what the holdup on Jaws is. These manufacturers always seem ready to take pinside money.

Now back to shooter lanes...

#74 6 years ago

Seen games with low 10000 game count both immaculate and destroyed. What the wear of a game tells you is how the operator/home owner took care of it, nothing more or less. I have seen mint condition games with PERFECT playfields, no wear at all on arch or anywhere else on the game with counters in the 100K. Likely PF swap, but some have sworn up and down they owned it from the operator, and took really good care of it. In the end, condition is king, and it really doesn't tell a story like a liar or a salesman. It is what it is.

#75 6 years ago

If Terry sold new shooter lanes, he and every member of his family would be driving Ferrari's

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-care-about-the-shooter-lanes-so-much/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.