(Topic ID: 193377)

Why do people ask so much?

By Dom1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are people asking too much for less then perfect machines”

• Yes 93 votes
      48%
    • They're right on the spot 19 votes
      10%
    • They should be asking more 30 votes
      15%
    • People drive me bonkers with their asking price! 53 votes
      27%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shangri.jpg
    true (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zimjoe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 6 years ago

I think a lot of sellers factor in haggle room. For me, I pass these by. I don't enjoy driving an hour or two to haggle. I just expect to find a properly represented machine at an agreed to price.

I think high prices feed high prices. I see a B/C title listed a bit high. A week later another one listed higher. Neither sell, but the sellers think this is the new floor price. I also doubt the veracity of sales prices in the market. When (if) machines are marked as sold, some sellers don't admit they took less than advertised. This also doesn't help.

I rarely sit on a machine for a week or two when I try to sell. If I don't get interest, I drop the price every few days until I get calls.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinbum:

If you want a cheap machine your 8 years to late, sorry but that was the time to be collecting.

There is much truth in this

While I complain about prices, I usually make money whenever I sell a pin especially if I've had it a few years. Right now I am clearing a few out, so high prices aren't killing me. That said, at today's prices I'm less likely to take a chance on a marginal title. I'll let the new guys hoard the $1800 Gold Wings and $3000 Demolition Man pins. (I'm not saying they are bad titles, just hard to move at those prices)

I'm just saving my money for the dip in prices when the boomers start dropping.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I've actually had more problems trading than anything else. Usually it's some deal where the difference via price guides/pinside is $xx, so that's usually where we start (and end) because usually the other party says "my game is worth more than that and I don't think your game is worth that" despite having no evidence to the contrary. It's happened a bunch of times to me, for some reason in a trade my game is always worth less than whatever history says and their game is worth more, when it seems like using guides/historical sales is the fairest way to do it.

I have only traded once and it went well, but as a rule I don't bother trying to trade. People's interests rarely line up. I get trade requests when I post stuff for sale, but they are not for games I want or the person has an inflated idea about what their stuff is worth. Determining value is easier in an open market place.

I would just rather sell my thing and then buy the other thing.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I personally blame American Pickers and all those fake reality shows.

My sister and her husband are antique sellers. They have been miffed ever since Antique Road show. It made picking good deals much harder, because people now know old stuff = money.

1 month later
    #133 6 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

And the Pinside Price Police usually chime in when a forum listing is over-priced.

I don't know, I never see them anymore. I think they have been scared off by all the offended people. I once listed a Big Guns for $1100 and the PP showed up from all over the country to tell me I was a maniac. I just tossed it back at them and enjoyed the free bumps. Obviously someone disagreed with them and bought my game.

Every time I see an over priced mid 80s Gottlieb in meh shape sit for six months, I wonder where are they? I recently saw a Robowar with a sponge painted cabinet and no one complained about the price. It's crazy. Of course I don't do it, because I don't want to be a jerk

Price Police, where have you gone? You don't care about offending people and you certainly don't need friends. Come back! Sure you are annoying, but the service you provide is invaluable.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I never call anyone a maniac.

I was editorializing

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zimjoe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-ask-so-much?tu=zimjoe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.