(Topic ID: 193377)

Why do people ask so much?

By Dom1

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Are people asking too much for less then perfect machines”

• Yes 93 votes
      48%
    • They're right on the spot 19 votes
      10%
    • They should be asking more 30 votes
      15%
    • People drive me bonkers with their asking price! 53 votes
      27%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shangri.jpg
    true (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dom1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hey Me and my brother have bought a few pinball machines over the past few months and really have been enjoying it but it has become increasingly difficult to find a decent buy. Does anyone have an idea why people are asking literally double the price for a machine that pinside estimates the value of? Is pinside wrong or outdated on their pricing or do these people who have broken pinball machines just think they're stuff is gold?

#3 6 years ago

Sounds about right to me lol. I'm just not sure where they get their prices from.

#7 6 years ago

I understand both sides of the seller and buyer. If a games estimated price value is between $1200-$1400 I don't mind to pay that amount but it's hard for me to even give the seller a call when they are asking $2500 for that machine

#55 6 years ago

basically in a nut shell it seems like it's a sellers market right now and people are setting their prices on what other people are asking and not so much on what their estimated value is. When I asked this question I meant why have the prices rose over the past few years. I'm guessing the price rise is due to the popularity this hobby has received over the past few years and the collectors who had all these machines a few years ago are selling very high while the time is right which is a good idea for the seller. Alot of people on here which I'm assuming are sellers seem to be iratated with buyers due to the fact they give "low ball offers". Most likely the buyers are offering what they see other machines are actually being sold for which is reasonable but sellers aren't happy with that. People can ask whatever they want for a machine but it doesn't mean they're gonna get it. Of course their are a limited number of machines but it's not like a few years ago the machines decided to self destruct and now there are only a handful left and now worth double. I think its just a phase and people who buy $6000 machines that are probably worth $3500 will be hurting when the price rise phases out. We have had pinball machines for over 15 years and have loved it. We bought a few more over this summer and haven't been able to stop playing them. It sounds funny but one of our favorites things about them is fixing them and the up keep on the machines lol. We buy them to play them and enjoy our little arcade. But in the end it seems like right now the way to do it is to trade a machine for another of the same value. Well I'm gonna go play a near perfect haunted house we picked up for $1200 2 months ago. And no I didn't beat him down on his price at all that's all he was asking for it lol

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Economics 101. Supply and demand.

If you decided to sell, what would you ask for it?

What ever price makes me and the customer feel good about our transaction. Probably around 2k .

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

That makes total sense and seems to be what the price of that game is. But 3 years ago that game was cheaper because back then people were willing to pay less. Now they are willing to pay more. Simple as that.

I wish it was cheaper and I wish everyone felt that way. I hope it will go back to that way one day but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just the kinda guy who thinks " I could get a Jurassic park for $4000 or I can get a new roof on my house..... damnit I'll get the roof" lol

#82 6 years ago

Can't at the moment I'm having just too much fun lol

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dom1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-people-ask-so-much?tu=dom1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.