(Topic ID: 149193)

why do people ask for pictures of games 4-sale then no thank you?

By gameon46

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 229 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by metallik
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image_(resized).png
    schumer_(resized).jpg
    back_in_my_day_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    You'reWelcomeAsshole_(resized).jpeg
    mailbox_046_(resized).jpg
    mailbox_020_(resized).jpg
    studio_setup1_(resized).jpg

There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

I have really gotten to the point of being fed up with Pinsiders. You can get passed off if you want.

But when you contact me and ask for pictures of games. And I spend 15 mins sending pictures I get no response? None!!! No thanks I got them. No nothing. What's up around here????

Try selling your collection of over 50 games. And you get to the point you want to raise your prices!!!

Anyone have any feedback on the issue?

#2 3 years ago

I find it best to upload pics to photobucket or elsewhere and provide a link

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

I have really gotten to the point of being fed up with Pinsiders. You can get passed off if you want.
    But when you contact me and ask for pictures of games. And I spend 15 mins sending pictures I get no response? None!!! No thanks I got them. No nothing. What's up around here????
    Try selling your collection of over 50 games. And you get to the point you want to raise your prices!!!

Prospective buyers are under no obligation to respond after getting pictures. If you can't handle that, stop trying to sell pins.

You aren't mad that you aren't getting a "thank you." You are mad that the games aren't selling. If you really want to sell them, try lowering your prices.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Prospective buyers are under no obligation to respond after getting pictures. If you can't handle that, stop trying to sell pins.
    You aren't mad that you aren't getting a "thank you." You are mad that the games aren't selling. If you really want to sell them, try lowering your prices.

Ever hear of "Common Courtesy"?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I always respond to thank them for sending the photos and also to either indicate I'm interested or not interested after seeing them.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

upload pics to photobucket

This is the easiest way!

If they want very specific pictures or fine detail; just tell them they'll have to come see it in person.

#7 3 years ago

This isn't unique to Pinside unfortunately. I've encountered this everywhere I've sold pins. You wouldn't think that sending a simple "thanks" as a courtesy (as well as to let the seller know you received the pics) would be so hard, but apparently it is.

#8 3 years ago

People tend to be much much pickier when viewing pictures than when in person. When viewing pictures people will make mountains out of molehills. Things that you point out in person they will be like, oh that isn't so bad. Online? nope, one scratch and its junk.

#9 3 years ago

I'm someone who doesn't reply with thanks (but I don't often ask for pictures either..).

I get enough valid emails a day (and the spamfilter stops even much more) that I don't email unless it's necessary, as I don't like receiving unnecessary emails either.
    Whilst you find it common courtesy, I don't really appreciate a reply with just 'thanks' as it's a waste of time/resources.

#10 3 years ago

its called email etiquette, and most people simply don't take the time or courtesy to do/have it. jerks. do your best to NOT let it get to you. I know its easier said than done, but it is what it is brother.

#11 3 years ago

I always reply and do not understand why people do not at least say "thanks".

#12 3 years ago

I'm with the OP, I have a few games for sale right now, and lots of people ask for pictures, but few respond after. Picture collectors I guess. It is frustrating

#13 3 years ago

Keep a list, ignore or send them on a wild goose chase next time..........

#14 3 years ago

At least you get that far. Too often do I get messages of "hey, really interested in your pin, is it still available?" Where after I respond "yeah, let me know if you need additional pix or info," I never hear from them again.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

Looks like you selling some "fully restored" pins and those require more details and info for a buyer compared to selling a working WWF for $1500.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

This^^
    I have to agree it's annoying if people can't just say "thanks but no thanks I'm not interested anymore". When I email someone about a game or item for sale I try to be polite and courteous just like if I was talking face to face with someone. I appreciate the same in return. I usually just post pics to photobucket so I don't have to deal with emailing pics and that has worked out well. I make a mental note of the people who are rude, too lazy to respond or unable to respond politely and I just choose not to deal with them in the future.

#17 3 years ago

The worst is wanted adds. I recently went thru this and took about 100 pictures, keep in mind it's a pin I wasn't even marketing, sent pictures, no response.
    Just as well, it's a pin I shouldn't even sell. To rare to sell right now.You can look at my collection and guess.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

Yeah, but who cares really? Why get so upset that you make a post here with multiple exclamation points and question marks? This is the pinball market, not sunday dinner.

Bottom line is it's frustrating when you are trying to sell a game and don't get any bites. That's what he's really mad about, not the lack of a "thank you" for pics.

#19 3 years ago

I always post pictures (or a link to them) at the same time I list my game for sale. The onus is on me as the seller to post pics. I don't expect people to thank me for this (but sometimes they do, and that's nice too).

Quoted from dung:

People tend to be much much pickier when viewing pictures than when in person. When viewing pictures people will make mountains out of molehills. Things that you point out in person they will be like, oh that isn't so bad. Online? nope, one scratch and its junk.

I completely agree with this, so this is my strategy when I have to sell a game:

1. List the game for sale locally, with 10-20 good pics. Describe any problems in detail, and invite people to check the game out in person.

2. If the game hasn't sold locally in a month or 2, post 50+ high-res pics for out-of-state buyers. I show every defect as clearly as possible so there's no chance of a surprise when they get the game.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

The worst is wanted adds. I recently went thru this and took about 100 pictures, keep in mind it's a pin I wasn't even marketing, sent pictures, no response.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with this. If the game isn't even listed for sale, it's a hassle to take pics. In the OP's case, he had to take pics anyway.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's what he's really mad about, not the lack of a "thank you" for pics.

I don't know. I'd be pretty pissed about people being rude, too. I fully realize that I'm rude when I'm busting balls...but when it comes to any business transaction, I always try to be courteous and above-board.

#22 3 years ago

I always reply. The issue I've been having lately is that sellers don't want to send pics. I guess they think you are more likely to buy if you make a trip to see the pin but I'm not about to drive 1+ hours without any idea of what it looks like. I guess it's all just part of dealing with other people. Everyone is different.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I always post pictures (or a link to them) at the same time I list my game for sale. The onus is on me as the seller to post pics. I don't expect people to thank me for this (but sometimes they do, and that's nice too).

I completely agree with this, so this is my strategy when I have to sell a game:
    1. List the game for sale locally, with 10-20 good pics. Describe any problems in detail, and invite people to check the game out in person.
    2. If the game hasn't sold locally in a month or 2, post 50+ high-res pics for out-of-state buyers. I show every defect as clearly as possible so there's no chance of a surprise when they get the game.

As much as people call me a troll and harass my for sale posts usually within a week I have a deal in place. I have found the trick is to list with 20 good pics. Be honest in the ad. If someone calls wanting more info I tell them to come look at it in person.

If there is something really wrong with the game, disclose it. Ie the flintstones I traded had a touch up in the middle of the playfield. Disclosed it, explained it, took a bunch of pics of just that issue. Pinsider knew what he was getting and was happy with how things ended up.

Selling machines has gotten worse over the years. The more these are worth, the crappier buyers have been about it.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

The more these are worth, the crappier buyers have been about it.

The more prices increase, the more selective (picky) buyers become. It's natural. I can put on the beer goggles for a $900 Skateball with an Alltek, but a $5200 STTNG had better be mint.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, but who cares really? Why get so upset that you make a post here with multiple exclamation points and question marks? This is the pinball market, not sunday dinner.
    Bottom line is it's frustrating when you are trying to sell a game and don't get any bites. That's what he's really mad about, not the lack of a "thank you" for pics.

Just FYI those are quotation marks, not exclamation points, and there is only one question mark.I was asking a question BTW

#26 3 years ago

I work on a computer all day chatting on IM to my co-workers around the globe, we get into the habit of not replying to every detail because it is annoying when you receive an IM that just says TTYL or whatever when you know the discussion is already over. It just makes you open another window to read one line that you assumed already and you have to close/delete it. For instance, would you then be rude to not reply "you're welcome" to a "thank-you" message?

Saying thank-you in person or over the phone is a must, but IMO not necessary for IM or e-mail, unless the person had to go out of their way to do something for you. On Pinside or eBay or Craigslist I think posting pictures is the norm, and on Pinside (considering the audience) I would expect even more pictures than on an auction site.

Heck, I love taking pictures of my pins, I have thousands of them online open to public viewing, why not?

Of course, opinions will vary, try google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=e-mail+or+im+courtesy+message+%22thanks%22&oq=e-mail+or+im+courtesy+message+%22thanks%22+&aqs=chrome..69i57.15695j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

the first link supports my feelings:

Do not reply to say thank you unless the message merits sincere thanks, or the person who sent it needs acknowledgment that you got the email. - See more at: http://www.businesswritingblog.com/business_writing/2010/10/do-email-thanks-please-or-provoke-you-.html#sthash.xtezGPuV.dpuf

#27 3 years ago

Just to support to OP's position a bit...

If I'm the buyer asking for pics, I always reply by saying "thanks for the pics, I'm still thinking about it", or "thanks, but I decided I'm not interested", or "it's a bit too much for me but at $XYZ I'd be a buyer; keep me in mind". The thoughtfulness isn't the "thank you", it's the other info that the seller may actually be waiting on.

Sorry, I'm schizophrenic with my opinions today.

#28 3 years ago

Things sell much much quicker when you have good detailed pics up. I learned that in 1999 when I started selling on Ebay.

#29 3 years ago

Just put up enough pics so people won't have to ask for more.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

it would be common courtesy to put pictures up in the first place. Would save him the time of "having" to send out pictures of something he is trying to sell. You make the buyer take extra time and you have to spend extra time by not posting pictures. The only one that could have saved that time is the seller. Spend the 15 minutes it takes to send pics to one person and just post them and its done.

#31 3 years ago

What I can see is there is a lot of the responses are. That I don't nothing about anything beside that I get what I want when I want it.

You think I would be even interested in lowering prices so assailed could get the games? I would raise them!!!

I you would look at my profile you would see I've sold about 40% of my games. And I have people coming this week and next week.

What I'm talking about is the arrogance around here. I've learned to pay for what I get. How can you ask for a perfect game when your bank account has players condition money in it?

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

totally agree and surprised at whoever thumbs-downed you.

Happens all the time. It's rude. At least acknowledge receipt of the pics.

I spent time pulling out some old taxi ramps, snapping pics, and texting them to someone, as requested. Then when they got them, asked how much. I quoted $35 shipped (a good deal). Never bothered to respond. And this was all after I reached out to this person who posted a dire need for them. So I thought I was doing said person a favor.

OP: No good deed goes unpunished. Statement is true everywhere you look.

#33 3 years ago

Thing is this. You have people that have all the latest phones, apps, PayPal, eBay accounts, I mean everything. I have been collecting about 12 years. I don't do PayPal. No eBay. No photo upload sites. And this has never been a problem. You know why? Because people weren't this bad before.

I've had 3 people try to buy my game collection. The only reason they wanted the whole collection is they thought I was broke and was a sucker.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

They might of had no intention of really buying your game. Just checking to market or kicking tires.

Use something like postimage.org to upload pics so you dont have to fire them off to everyone that asks.

#35 3 years ago

Post all the necessary pictures in your for sale ad. If someone requests a specific picture, send it to them, then also ad those pictures to the ad.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

Thing is this. You have people that have all the latest phones, apps, PayPal, eBay accounts, I mean everything. I have been collecting about 12 years. I don't do PayPal. No eBay. No photo upload sites. And this has never been a problem. You know why? Because people weren't this bad before.
    I've had 3 people try to buy my game collection. The only reason they wanted the whole collection is they thought I was broke and was a sucker.

You sound like you're thinking about this as the buyers are always bad and i'm not sure that's always the case. I've had great buyers, i've had great sellers. I've also met bad versions of both. As prices increase in an incredibly technological world, so do scammers. If you're going to ask a perfect game price, i'm going to want to see a perfect game for it. Lately it seems that perfect game prices are on decidedly less than perfect games. In a world where nearly all of us have a camera in our pockets, it seems weird to think that i'd be bothering you to ask for pictures to see if your game quality matches the game.

#37 3 years ago

I don't mind putting my time out for a perspective buyer. If someone wants a list of all work or extras or a full set of pics. If I don't have them I will get them.

Not all my games have had a bunch of money put into them.

Some have called me on the phone. After talking awhile about pins. I guess after asking about prices and condition. They felt like it was worth the trip and try for a better price to buy a few. And you know I've got to meet some cool guys. As long as I haven't put money into the game on top of what I paid for it. I let a number of the go cheap. That's what happens when your nice about it!!!

#38 3 years ago

Beg your pardon Mr small pinball collection. I got lots of bites. That's why I've sold over 20 games the last few weeks. What the thread was started about is being polite when asking for people's time.

I can bet it didn't take much to make you mad huh? Lol

#39 3 years ago

I'm a visual type of person. I want to see pictures. If I see someone post something for sale, and the posting says "I'll post pictures later." or something like that, I just assume they are too lazy, and hope that the item(s) will sell without them having to do the extra work.

I would never buy something without seeing a picture of it. Just like I would never walk into an antiques store, ask if they have a certain object, and then buy it without seeing it. Just like I may ask if they have an object, see it, and still not buy it. To buy used equipment you have to browse it first.

Also, good quality pictures also help you get more for your objects. I've noticed when I sell items on ebay, I make sure I take great looking photos. And in most cases I get 20-30% more than someone who takes a photo of the same thing on their comforter.

Don't be lazy. Post photos. (this isn't a comment directed to the OP. Its just for those who don't post photos and expect a description is good enough.)

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

Beg your pardon Mr small pinball collection.

There are no small pinball collections, only small pinball people.

#41 3 years ago

Here's the thing with the pictures. They ask for pictures of games not even listed 4-sale. So I have to go take pictures for them. I tell them that. Send them and get no response. What do you call that? And I know my STTNG is a 5k game with not a mark on the playfield or cabinet. Plus full tear down. Custom mods. And extras added to upgrade the game. Am I supposed to let it go for 4k?

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

They ask for pictures of games not even listed 4-sale. So I have to go take pictures for them.

Why? If it's not for sale, why can't you just tell them that? And if you send them pictures and say it's not for sale, why would you expect a response?

#43 3 years ago

If an ad says "email me for pics" or similar, or if it's an ad for a game with no pics whatever, I'm not going to thank them for pics any more than they're going to thank me for stopping to look over their machine. Really, this shouldn't even be a step in the process... sellers should ALWAYS supply pics with the ad unless the item is new and none are needed. Sellers goal ostensibly is to sell, so send/upload pics til the game sells and stop complaining.

Now if I ASK for any pictures beyond what is offered, then I definitely try to give thanks for the extra effort. But really, adequate pictures should be an automatic part of the ad in the first place, with no emails or thanks necessary.

#44 3 years ago

If youre selling you should have pics already.

Did you want a "thank you" for telling them a price too?

#45 3 years ago

Just upload a bunch of high resolution pictures to an upload site and post your ad with a link to it. Why would someone want to respond to individual emails sending out the same picture set over and over again ?
    Or why does someone need to speak over the phone before sending pictures ? It doesn't make any sense...

#46 3 years ago

I didn't post 60 for sale adds guys. Be for real. Come on. Who the heck would do that. As fast as the games are selling I can't even keep up. Guys are seeing my comments about selling the collection. So look up my collection. That's where the picture thing comes in. At the same time people are endlessly emailing me instead of calling me after leaving my phone # in the pm. Someone else is loading the game up in there truck.

Think about it.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from gameon46:

I didn't post 60 for sale adds guys. Be for real. Come on. Who the heck would do that

Gwaxt72. Seems like he sells his really fast too.

I get what you're saying though. I'm pretty sensitive to impolite people too. However since it seems like you are taking on quite a project in selling that many games, maybe find a way to take 10-20 good pictures of each game and post them online somewhere. That way you can just send links to people.

#48 3 years ago

You can't just list 50 plus games for sale. You know that. You just being funny. I listed a few. Then just mentioned it in public posts like what's for sale in dc area.

While I got a life life other then pinball I'm trying to get all the HD pictures and info everyone has asked for. I got behind because over 100 people have been contacting me. If you think selling a few is hard. Try selling 50.

#49 3 years ago

You know with comments like that you will have a hard time getting a deal out of anyone selling but someone desperate for $

#50 3 years ago

Just take all the pictures and upload them before posting the ads. This takes some time - so what? This whole issue is avoidable

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 87.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 93.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 19.99
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    Magazines/books
    The Flipper Room
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 279.95
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside