(Topic ID: 227314)

Why do ops keep their location info secret?

By JodyG

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181006_175238 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#53 5 years ago

I used to work for an old school operators, you have to understand there are a couple different mentalities. The new mentality is, keep the machine working, keep it nice, rotate it in, if a customer complains fix the problem, etc. That makes lots of money.

The old mentality was nothing like that. It was a completely different mindset. Many operators got into the mindset that arcade games were more reliable because they need very little upkeep. So they would never plan ahead to do preventative maintenance....

So the NEW mindset is, I'm going to go check out the game, I'm going to bring spare parts, I'm going to clean everything, change a couple rubbers, etc.

The OLD mindset was "Oh shit, this game's broke AGAIN???? Why did it break????".

So when that op got there, his mindset wasn't "If I clean this game, it'll make more money"... it was "The flipper rubber broke, and I don't have another one. I'll glue it back on for now".

He didn't glue it back on to save a dollar. He glued it back on because he didn't have a new one in his truck and wanted to keep the game working.

The "new" mentality would be, show up with an extra 15 minutes, bring extra parts just in case, change out that flipper rubber when it gets a nick in it before it breaks, clean the other rings, wipe down the playfield, play a game or two to make sure nothing's broke, etc.

Very hard for them to change the entire way they think about things.

#54 5 years ago

And to the Original Poster, the reason they keep their location info secret is that same thing, it's an old school mentality. The "new" mentality that makes tons of money today is, advertise, hell try to get people to go to the Bowling alley YOURSELF, try to get the word out there, advertise on facebook, put yourself on pin map, etc. This makes tons of money.

The OLD mentality was "The bowling alley does lots of business, I put coin operated machines in there, and i'll get some money from their customers".

It's like the Coke Machine guy, he doesn't advertise where he has his coke machines.

This is just the old school way of doing it, it doesn't make money anymore but people are creatures of habit.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lyonsronnie1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-ops-keep-their-location-info-secret-?tu=lyonsronnie1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.