(Topic ID: 244615)

Why do my screws turn black when using Evaporust . . .

By Hammerhead

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

. . . and what can I do to bring the shine back?

#2 4 years ago

What kind of screws are they?

#3 4 years ago

From the Evaporust FAQ page:
    “Why do some of my parts have a black coating after I have de-rusted them?
    The black coating is sometimes present after de-rusting carbon steels. This coating can easily be wiped off with a cloth or pad.“

My unscientific explanation is the black is what is left once the rust is neutralized. I’d say the shine is long gone at that point.

#4 4 years ago

I found that certain plated parts like screws turn black if left in the solution too long. I leave screws and posts in for 5-6 hours max. Once they get that black look it’s permanent.

#5 4 years ago

Sounds like you are leaving them in too long. Also, be sure to rinse the screws thoroughly with warm water when you take them out of the Evapo Rust. If any are black, then you can now toss them into the tumbler to shine up.

#6 4 years ago

as jj44114 mentioned, you don't want to leave any parts in evaporust for too long. I made the mistake of forgetting and leaving some parts overnight. not only did they turn black, but the metal on parts themselves started to deteriorate. when that happens, its best just to toss the parts and replace them

#7 4 years ago

Chromed metal (like legs) can be left in the Evapo-Rust for a long time without harm. Zinc and tin plated metal you need to watch carefully.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Chromed metal (like legs) can be left in the Evapo-Rust for a long time without harm.

I've left legs in for days.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've left legs in for days.

that explains a lot about the way that you look

#10 4 years ago

Zinc plated stuff will turn black.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

that explains a lot about the way that you look

45lbs lighter than you? I know I know...I need to lose a few

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

45lbs lighter than you? I know I know...I need to lose a few

30 lbs? maybe 35 lbs, but there's no way that your portly short, black legged self weighs 45 lbs less than me

#13 4 years ago

I think that black stuff can be wirebrushed off but I believe that will expose open pores in the steel that could re-rust.

#14 4 years ago

It's also important for anything you put in it to be fully submerged, or you'll end up with a water/evaporust line on the metal.

#15 4 years ago

You can buff the showing heads of Bolts on a buffer, then clear coat.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-my-screws-turn-black-when-using-evaporust- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.