(Topic ID: 134053)

Why do I still love playing pinball after 40 years?

By BioBa

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LOTR_breath
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_1.png

#1 3 years ago

I find it quite amazing that I never get bored playing pinball. I had my fair share of hobbies and they come and they go but playing pinball now is just as exciting as when I played it as a kid. I know of nothing that has grabbed my attention for such a long time. As a matter of fact I enjoy playing it more and more as the years go by. Am I alone in this? (kind of a loaded question lol)

#2 3 years ago

I've been into pinball for probably 4 years. So far it's been awesome. The unique physical aesthetic is what grabs me with pins especially in this video game era.

#3 3 years ago

No you're not alone.
    I enjoy playing as much as day one and i've had a 35 year full time job working with pins aside collecting them as a hobby.
    These machines are never boring.

#4 3 years ago

I agree the physical aspect is fantastic plus the mechanical game play is another draw card.

#5 3 years ago

I hope to find out.....I'm just beginning year no.2................Joey

#6 3 years ago

I'm going on year 8 or so and unlike many other hobbies I have never gotten tired of pinball. I love the many aspects of collecting, mechanical repair and playing too.

The physical and mental aspects of playing never get old. Its a great feeling to close off the outside world and get into a game to instinctively manipulate the ball flow using the flippers and subtle nudges together. I'd guess that this is the sort of zen feeling is what draws people into golf, pool, racing or whatever once they find something to connect with.

#7 3 years ago

It is an addiction for sure. Been playing since 1978. I've seen pinball at its zenith and then almost disappearing altogether. It never gets old for me either. Got my 1st machine in 1997. I have 6 now and looking for a few more. It is fun and takes my mind off my troubles for a little while. Hell, I even enjoy working/tinkering w/them. Nothing like it. We need a Pinballers Anonymous................

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from BioBa:

I find it quite amazing that I never get bored playing pinball. I had my fair share of hobbies and they come and they go but playing pinball now is just as exciting as when I played it as a kid. I know of nothing that has grabbed my attention for such a long time. As a matter of fact I enjoy playing it more and more as the years go by. Am I alone in this? (kind of a loaded question lol)

You own a Baywatch.....nuff' said

#9 3 years ago

Pinball, longest hobby I have had. Played it as kid. Still play it.

#10 3 years ago

Pinball freaking rocks. It rocked when I was 10 playing EM machines, and it rocks even more today.

#11 3 years ago

Also almost 40 years into playing and the only other long lasting addiction I have is heavy metal music!!!!

But, as my wife says: "I can't see where's the fun of hitting a ball up over and over....".

#12 3 years ago

Pinball = a different form of masturbation

#13 3 years ago

I've been into the hobby about 4 years. I never played as a kid because those simple games without ramps and such were just too uninteresting. As a kid, I considered pinball that thing that they had because they didn't have the technology to make something like asteroids yet. I rediscovered it a couple years ago with modern (DMD) games and went crazy over it. I'm kind of losing interest now. I can see being down to about 12 games soon.

#14 3 years ago

40 years and still going strong for me too...

<----------------- Just look at my collection

#15 3 years ago

Awesome, 40 years? I'm a serial hobbyist myself and this is the longest running one for me too. My wife is not too happy about it though.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from BioBa:

Ah yes, ever since I was a young boy...........

#17 3 years ago

Awesome responses! Good to see that I am not alone.

#18 3 years ago

My interest goes between playing and restoring. I like restoring by myself, but I can lose interest playing unless I have someone to talk smack to.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Awesome, 40 years? I'm a serial hobbyist myself and this is the longest running one for me too. My wife is not too happy about it though.

This sounds very familiar.

#20 3 years ago

My wife bought me my first pinball! I can blame her now for everything that followed.

#21 3 years ago

My interest comes and goes. As a teen in the 90s, I sadly never got much into pinball. Video games were where it was at. In 2002ish, I bought an IJ and was instantly hooked. Within 6 months I had a TOM and TAF to go with my INDY. There are times where I don't even turn a game on for months, then I'll get back into it and get the bug again. I'm in one of those funks where I haven't played much in the last couple months (despite getting a RBION recently). I just don't have the time. I'm sure I'll get into it again soon enough though with MMr and Hobbit eventually coming.

#22 3 years ago

Been playing for 44 yrs and still love it

#23 3 years ago

I've been working on a theory on this. Apparrently, pinball is "fun". I like fun. Therefore i keep playing.

Well over 20 years for me: owning, fixing, flipping, obsessing.....

Don C.

#24 3 years ago

It makes me wonder.... what would be the average age of the pinballer aficionado? I'm 45 now - started playing pinball in the early 80's, when I was about 10 years old....

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

It makes me wonder.... what would be the average age of the pinballer aficionado? I'm 45 now - started playing pinball in the early 80's, when I was about 10 years old....

42 here.
    My dad brought me to the arcade somewhere in the late 70's when I was around 4-5 years old.
    I will possibly be passing on the illness to my 2 1/2 year old daughter who is already showing interest.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from BioBa:

Why do I still love playing pinball after 40 years?

Because once Alzheimer's sets in, you think every game you play is your personal best score.

#27 3 years ago

Im 47. Grew up playing pinball in the late 70s and 80s. Lost interest in the 90s and 2000s . Got readdicted about 3 years ago just as pin prices totally hit the roof !!!

#28 3 years ago

I don't know...why do I still love jacking off after 30 years, or Chinese Food after 35? Some things just don't get old.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Because once Alzheimer's sets in, you think every game you play is your personal best score.

You hit it on the nail! lol

#30 3 years ago

I'm 56 and played a lot during the summers when I was in my teens. This year I found it again and instantly bought a Getaway and then a NIB ST Premium. I've played over 300 games in the 12 weeks since I bought these. I've also started visiting the Tarpon Springs Amusement Museum on the weekends to play more variety. My wife and daughter absolutely hate the noise so I have to be careful when I play. They don't argue when I go to the "arcade" on the weekends 'cause my pins are silent when I'm gone. I've completely modded the ST with almost all of the suggested upgrades and fixes and also added some of the suggested lighting mods to the Getaway. Unfortunately I had to sell the Getaway to make room for the ST, and miss it dearly. I've learned SO much about pins and love them! I'm considering moving us to a new house where I can have a dedicated game room to keep everyone happy (and hopefully get another Getaway and maybe a TSPP and LOTR to keep them company).
    But I don't have a problem. Really. I don't.

#31 3 years ago

I wounder who is the oldest active member of pinside,still collecting and hanging fun with the silver ball

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

I wounder who is the oldest active member of pinside,still collecting and hanging fun with the silver ball

This would be interesting to know.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

But I don't have a problem. Really. I don't.

You sound perfectly normal to me!

#34 3 years ago

Wow 40 years. Congrats! 4 years for me and I really enjoy. Takes my mind off of work and I have fun too. Wish the machines were a little less heavy but besides that I love it.

#35 3 years ago

Over 40 years of flipping here too.
    It never stops being fun.

#36 3 years ago

I am guessing I played pinball for the very first time almost exactly 50 years ago. Hard to believe.

#37 3 years ago

I started playing around 35 years ago.

#38 3 years ago

Close to 50 years for me too. I've been playing since I was probably around three. I've seen all kinds of changes in that time and played every new game I could find. Enjoyed them all. But now it's come full circle and I realize the best games were the ones that were around when I first started. Glad to be able to add some to my collection.

#39 3 years ago

I started playing 30 years ago when I lived in California and loved it. When I moved to Wyoming in 1991 all was lost. Just Cowboys and cow shit, no pinball. Just this summer I had a midlife crisis. Now most men in this stage buy a Harley or a old hot rod they dreamed of in there glory days. Me, I bought two pinball machines. My wife wasn't thrilled but I told her, hey, I could have bought a Harley and got a younger wife, but instead I bought some pinball machines. She gave me a big hug and said I love your pinball machines.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from rockrand:

I saw this post from a guy with 11 years on his avatar....
    Screenshot (1).png

#41 3 years ago

I would consider myself in the pinball is the best boat for about 28 years. I always played it where I could find it during the dark days (1999+) but it wasn't until about 6 years ago I started to think, "hey, I could actually own one or two of these things in my house".

What a game changer that first machine bought was...

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

I saw this post from a guy with 11 years on his Avatar....
    Screenshot (1).png

Ive got 12 on mine...doesn't equate to much.

#43 3 years ago

Lol..I missed that, didn't even know Pinside was active 12 yrs ago.

#44 3 years ago

3 years on mine seems like 20. A lot has sure happened in that time.

#45 3 years ago

Remember playing in the back of a barber shop in the 50's. , at the little "general store" that was next to the lake where we went for family outings in the early 60's , then played a lot at the local watering hole in the 70's, at the local bowling alley in the 80's, at the arcades when raising my own kids in the 90's. But the big change came in 2002 when a friend told me about eBay and I discovered I could buy one for my house. Been immersed in it ever since. I'm 64 now.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wyopinball:

I started playing 30 years ago when I lived in California and loved it. When I moved to Wyoming in 1991 all was lost. Just Cowboys and cow shit, no pinball. Just this summer I had a midlife crisis. Now most men in this stage buy a Harley or a old hot rod they dreamed of in there glory days. Me, I bought two pinball machines. My wife wasn't thrilled but I told her, hey, I could have bought a Harley and got a younger wife, but instead I bought some pinball machines. She gave me a big hug and said I love your pinball machines.

Lol - I never thought of it like that. I have always been interested in pinball but it was only a casual interest. Last year, I decided on a whim to get a pinball machine because it connected with my youth and would be cool to have one. I'm usually responsible with my money but pinball.

#47 3 years ago

I've been collecting, restoring and playing pinball for 26 years now and enjoy
    all aspects of this hobby. I have been and continue to be heavily involved
    with other hobbies for longer but gotta say pinball has been the most enjoyable.
    Now if I could afford a bigger, OK, much bigger house I'd be getting more pins.
    Steve

#48 3 years ago

I can't even find any interest in another hobby, and I've tried! Nothing else interests me. I wish I could find something, so I can give the pinball a rest.

#49 3 years ago

Its a great hobby- I feel like it teaches me a lot (I love restoring games and my electronics knowledge is just growing and growing) and a few beers and a couple pinheads and an evening can get pretty late pretty fast.

Pinball- fun alone, even more fun when you can talk smack to a couple other pinball infected people while playing.

Its a great cycle- you get your first game, maybe you fix it up and take a while (I did) then you play the heck out of it but have friends over and think, wow- how cool would it be if we could play two at once... and pretty soon its got to the ... geeze two is cool but I don't really have a game with drop targets- and if I had three it would really sound great to get a party going and have them all playing... and well... I'm on #4- I will probably stay here as a in the house number- but I could see restoring and cycling collection years down the road- its just fun and rewarding to work on them- and a new game to play will just incite another round of pinball playing and the cycle continues.

#50 3 years ago

Playing for over 40 years. Collecting and restoring for about 10 years. Playing in league and tourneys about 6 years. Love it!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 27.99
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 19.99
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 137.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside