Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by shardian
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I know once you sell your games it shouldn't matter what the buyer does with them. But how about the buyer who shows up at your house telling you how he's been waiting for this certain game in this certain condition and how much him, his family and friends are going to love it. Blah, blah, blah never going to leave his collection etc. Find out he flipped it within 5 days to a newbie for a small profit. It's not the money as it's the time and effort put into my games and wanting the buyer to have the same passion I do about it's condition. Feel sorry for the newbie and hate these types of buyers who pretend to bond with you. I'd have more respect if you just picked up the game and not lie to me. Oh and to the buyer who had to call me to tell me he flipped both of my games he purchased and make a large profit -really? Do you feel better about yourself doing this. I don't even understand this thought process. Instant Karma will get you!!!-Joe

#2 11 years ago

You'll have most folks tell you that it's not your game anymore and it doesn't matter what the buyer does. This is true. It still hurts, though, when your game is sold under false pretenses. Don't let it bother you too much -- life's too short. Have a cocktail tonight and remember there are still great folks in this hobby for fun, not for profit!

#3 11 years ago

When I make a trade or a deal, I really want both parties to be happy. I also enjoy people enjoying pinball as much as playing it myself. I guess you hope everyone has the same passion for pinball, having fun. Not making $$.

But everyone has their own agenda, dunno why they would feel the need to lie about their intentions or call and brag how much they made. What a douche move.

#4 11 years ago

unfortunately this sh*t happens!

Why he lied initially and then called you to rub some salt in the wounds , that my friend is a class act!

Name and number of said guy please

#5 11 years ago

He probably intended to keep it but then saw how much of a deal he got and couldnt resist.

OR, he had an unforeseen expense come up.

Just being the devils advocate...but I totally get where you are coming from. I would be miffed too.

#6 11 years ago

I can tell you I'm in this hobby for the fun. If i buy a table from you, it's because I want the game to play. A lot of people are simply motivated by money and nothing else. It shouldn't aggravate me, but it does.

#7 11 years ago

How much more did he sell it for?

#8 11 years ago

This isn;t the first, or tenth thread I've read on this subject.

#9 11 years ago

It is not your game anymore and certainly the buyer can do what they like but that doesn't make them any less of a lying prick for doing what they did. I'd never "give" a deal to a stranger

#10 11 years ago

If someone came in and fed me that line of bullshit I'd be pissed as well. I bought a car private party once when I was younger and dumber. Guy said he was selling so he could pay his brothers hospital bill or something. Long story short, it wasn't true and I might have pressed him harder had I know.

If he lied to you, and you gave him a better price because of it, I think he owes you the money. You'll never get it but a dick move.

Quoted from neverahighscore:

I know once you sell your games it shouldn't matter what the buyer does with them. But how about the buyer who shows up at your house telling you how he's been waiting for this certain game in this certain condition and how much him, his family and friends are going to love it. Blah, blah, blah never going to leave his collection etc. Find out he flipped it within 5 days to a newbie for a small profit. It's not the money as it's the time and effort put into my games and wanting the buyer to have the same passion I do about it's condition. Feel sorry for the newbie and hate these types of buyers who pretend to bond with you. I'd have more respect if you just picked up the game and not lie to me. Oh and to the buyer who had to call me to tell me he flipped both of my games he purchased and make a large profit -really? Do you feel better about yourself doing this. I don't even understand this thought process. Instant Karma will get you!!!-Joe

This.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

I'd never "give" a deal to a stranger

#11 11 years ago

I'm over it the minute the cash is in my hand. It means I can now get the next one I want. End of story.

#12 11 years ago

I agree that once paid for its the buyers game to do with what he wants. calling you to brag about how much he made flipping it is a crap thing to do and said buyer of your games is a piece of %@#&%. pleas post his name here so all pinheads know to stay clear of him. what im saying is banish him to pinball hell. no one sell to him or buy from him. let him know we all know who he is and he is now black listed in the pinball community.

#13 11 years ago

I had a similar experience with an old gun game I was selling. I had a guy act like he really wanted it bad, had a spot picked out for it yadda yadda, worked me over on price a bit and bought the game. 2 days later it's on Ebay for twice the money. I emailed and asked what gives and he said it would't fit where he wanted it. Really? I was more upset with myself than anything. Partly because I could have doubled my money as it sold. I had something else he wanted later and I squeezed him a little harder on that item. I still see him around. No hard feelings but I will be cautious if ever dealing with him again.
    Alex

#14 11 years ago

Yeah, I'd care. I'd care that the dude lied to my face to buy the pin when there was no need for it. But other than that, no care.

#15 11 years ago

Maybe his wife did not like it after all?

Lol

#16 11 years ago

You should sell your stuff for prices you're happy with. If you do that then there's no room for intant resale profit. Never give a uniquely good deal to someone because you think they're going to do something with it after sale that you want. It was rude to call you back and rub your face in it. But the fact he could so easily resell and profit means you sold too low.

#17 11 years ago

Just for clarification, there was no haggle on prices nor was I giving anything away. Price asked was price paid. I would think the newbie who bought from him is the true victim as he overpaid for the game and market value for the game at the time. This isn't about the money as I have made money on games, lost money on games and broke even. It's about an attitude that i'm not comfortable dealing with. I understand only in the hobby for profit. I don't understand the gloating and joy telling people including the seller about it!-Joe

#18 11 years ago

The part that stinks is I have said the same thing. When I bought my BSD I told the guy how much I wanted one. I told him how it would be lovingly fixed up. How its issues would be painstakingly repaired so that it would be a fantastic game I would own a long long time... Oh man, I was telling the truth.

No moral to that story. Buy what you like, sell what you don't. And don't worry after you sell it because it isn't yours.

#19 11 years ago

It doesn't matter if its your pin, your motorcycle, boat or your house. Once you have cash in hand, you should be doing backflips all the way to the bank. Sellers remorse is common. But you have to remember, there is a reason why you're selling it. Usually, the funds are needed for something you most likely lust after just a bit more.

The world isn't perfect. Never has been. Never will be.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm over it the minute the cash is in my hand. It means I can now get the next one I want. End of story.

^ ^ What he said. You've got the money-buyer has the game. He can light it on fire as far as I'm concerned as it's HIS game now. I stop caring as soon as I count out the cash.
    FWIW, I could never understand this mentality. It happens with EVERY hobby I'm into (I have quite a few). Fine-if the guy lies to you as far as to why he wants (fill in the blank) _____ hear him out, realize he's a lying tool and take his money. Game over.
    Doc

#21 11 years ago

Just for clarification, there was no haggle on prices nor was I giving anything away. Price asked was price

Then you got nothing to complain about. In fact, you should be happy for the guy since he was able to make some quick money. You got what you wanted so that was the end of it for you. If I sell a game for my asking price, I hope the buyer makes a million dollars reselling it. What do I care?

#22 11 years ago

I still have the beautiful LOTR I bought from you Joe. I do appreciate all that you had put into the game! I hope these cases you are talking about don't discourage you from future transactions. I would add any of your games to my collection any day.

I do understand where you are coming from on this though. Glad you are still in the hobby! How are the dogs?

#23 11 years ago

I think the only thing here to really complain about is the BS story followed by a callback haha I flipped them.

Just sour taste in your mouth but I am sure it will happen again. Do not let other people drag you down. You got what you wanted for the game/games that is going to have to be all that really matters. Just shitty he called you back.

#24 11 years ago

Perk up little camper. The day stuff like that doesn't bother you, you're no longer human. Just don't dwell on it. Call the dude out so that newbs don't get ganked;otherwise, dust the feet off and move on.

#25 11 years ago

Well strangers is one thing, but what about that "friend" who acts like they want the game badly for their collection and flips it quickly for a profit? Especially when you give them a "Deal"? It's happened to me a couple of times, so I give no deals to anyone now.

I'd bet there are "friends' on here that have cut their friends throats to get a Metallica LE! Yep, that's GREED.

#26 11 years ago

I hate being lied to. I agree with Markmon in principle, but lying is douchey. We are assuming he was lying. He could have had a cash emergncy.

I personally do not treat people this way. Deal with confidence

#27 11 years ago

Pics or it didn't happen.

#28 11 years ago

I could really care less what anybody does with anything I sell them after they pay for it.
    They are only things

#29 11 years ago

Wait for the feeling you get when something goes wrong and your buyer directs the noob to you haha.

#30 11 years ago

I can't figure out why this would bother anyone. Heck, I'm happy for someone if they can make a profit off of a game I sell them.

I certainly don't want them to feel like they are "married" to the machine for life, and can never resell it for fear of me going all nutso about it. ("How dare you sell my game that is no longer mine!")

I could also care less about what story I'm fed at the time of the sale. You should sell games at prices you are comfortable with...end of story. I don't care if you tell me how much you love a game and will cherish it forever....here's my price. I don't care if the game is for your children, grandchildren, or that one kid in the hospital that you promised to hit a home run for....here's the price I'm comfortable selling the game at.

After that, it's yours! If you sell it for a profit the next day, good for you!

Pete

#31 11 years ago

It's the intent to deceive that's troubling. I think most would agree with you. But if I sell a game to a guy that intentionally lies and a game to guy that says I flip these for a living. My respect goes to the guy telling the truth. He is the one I want to deal with next time.
    Alex

#32 11 years ago

Let me guess. It was Derek. Best game ever, never leaving my collection, etc.... SOLD

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

It's the intent to deceive that's troubling.

this. no need to lie. just buy.

#34 11 years ago

About 13 years ago, a friend of mine took a game out of a live (USAA) auction for a guy who said he'd been looking for the game for a long time and asked if he could buy it from him directly. This was on Saturday. The game was in the classifieds of the City newspaper the following Monday. It's a common issue. Just gotta move on I guess. That guy was "Nobody's friend" after that though. You can't screw over certain people without it ruining it for you for a long time. We had a revenge of sorts, but that's PM material only!

#35 11 years ago

When I sold my first game, BTTF - I think I was asking $850...this guy came out, with this toddler daughter - tire kicked and wanted it for $700, even though he hadn't haggled over the phone or anything. He proceeded to use his daughter as his bargaining sympathy chip ..."We drove all the way out here, blah blah blah" and like a sap I gave in and said "fine" ...a day later this guy has it up on eBay for like $1200 - and has the audacity to call me up and complain about some things like a flickering line in the display (which he knew about up front). I said "are you KIDDING ME!?!? You cried about how you drove so far with your kid and how badly you wanted it, and now you're flipping it and expect me to give a sh*t about your problems!?!?"

When I was selling my WOF, the renowned "Flipper Bros. of Corona" individually Emailed me about my WOF, both claiming it was their wive's favorite game lol ...

#36 11 years ago

On the other hand, if you meet somebody like this that can acquire and resell pinball machines that you no longer want, without you having to have multiple craigslist crooks come to your house, then maybe you can come to an arrangement.

#37 11 years ago

Got your asking price, be happy. Only thing you need to concern yourself with is finding out who the other buyer was so you can cut out the middle man next time.

Buyers of my stuff can do what they want with it. However, if I find out someone is selling something I sold and I have proof they are intentionally misleading potential buyers I will call them out. That doesn't sit well with me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-i-still-care and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.