(Topic ID: 282421)

Why do I need to use reset button everytime?

By alanmlevin

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0198 (resized).JPEG
#1 3 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm new to pinball ownership and this group so thank you in advance for any guidance. I have a 1970s 6 million dollar man Bally's pinball machine. When I power it up, the lights come on, but the machine doesn't start. I have to open it up and press the red reset button at the top of the photo. Besides the pain of having to do that, my kids can't do it when I'm not home. Additionally, I have to press that button many times. Usually just as I'm about to give up, it works and the machines jumps to life. Any ideas on what to check or replace?

IMG_0198 (resized).JPEGIMG_0198 (resized).JPEG
#2 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinside!

Your table is not completing the boot sequence. Connectors are often a problem on this era of machine, you might try carefully reseating all of them a few times to temporarily remove built up tarnish on the pins.
Read the Pinwiki at https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Bally_.2F_Stern_MPU_Board_LED_Flash_Sequence
How many flashes you’re getting will help diagnose where the boot process is failing. Post here with your findings.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Huntington Beach, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-i-need-to-use-reset-button-everytime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.