(Topic ID: 222043)

Why do I like all pinball machines from 1992 and 1993?

By Bumper

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E501F61F-AFAD-4FA4-952C-309478D425CC (resized).jpeg
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

I don't understand, what happened those two years when all these ten great machines were made?

Twilight Zone, Bally, 1993
The Addams Family, Bally, 1992
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure, Williams, 1993
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Williams, 1993
White Water, Williams, 1993
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Bally, 1992
Bram Stoker's Dracula, Williams, 1993
The Getaway: High Speed II, Williams, 1992
Judge Dredd, Bally, 1993
Fish Tales, Williams, 1992

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/custom?gamefamily=custom&only_games_from=1992&only_games_to=1993

#2 5 years ago

Williams Electronics broke out the budget for us pinball fanatics. !!!

#3 5 years ago

Ummm, because they’re awesome!,,

#4 5 years ago

innovation was still a thing and designers could try new ideas

#5 5 years ago

All great games! Really the peak of pinball for me. If only JJP would release a few a year, i might have a new favorite era.

#6 5 years ago

Business was good and they were really churning them out so they could load them up with features and still make money.

Also they didn't have to cater to the "My dream theme was a band or movie from 40 years ago" crowd because there was no pinside, so they had to be creative with theme or use mostly current licenses with a few exceptions.

The designers of these games were also fairly young and full of youthful enthusiasm and creativity.

#7 5 years ago

I couldn’t agree more! I own a few on the list and have others from the list on my wishlist. I would rather bleep buying these then new pins ( even though I enjoy new pins as well)

#8 5 years ago

I agree.... don’t forget last action hero!

#9 5 years ago

Great time for the Bly/Wms games. I still have 6 of those with Creech and White Water being 2 of my favorite 5 ever.

Quoted from Scorch:

I agree.... don’t forget last action hero!

Trying to forget. While I am not a big DE fan in general I would put TFTC, R&B and SW as the top 3 DE from then.

#10 5 years ago

Golden age of Bally Williams!

#11 5 years ago

I would say toss in 1994, too, with The Shadow and World Cup Soccer added to your list

#12 5 years ago

DE had some really good games in 1993.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I would say toss in 1994, too, with The Shadow and World Cup Soccer added to your list

Demo man and Popeye weren’t terrible either!

#14 5 years ago

1979-80 was pretty special..... Those early Bally ss pins were ground breaking.

#16 5 years ago

WPC era is my current entire collection and probably always will be.

I would not sell DE short as their games packed a lot of unique features too even though their artwork looked like it was drawn by a kid using crayons

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

because your closed minded?

" I grew up playing video games in the 80s and was never really exposed to or cared about pinball until I first played Addams Family and Twilight Zone at the local bowling alley."

And the rest, as they say, is history...

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Strike 1

Quoted from mrossman5:

Demo man and Popeye weren’t terrible either!

Strike 2

...don't push it!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

their artwork looked like it was drawn by a kid using crayons

And a proud kid he is!

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Business was good and they were really churning them out so they could load them up with features and still make money.
Also they didn't have to cater to the "My dream theme was a band or movie from 40 years ago" crowd because there was no pinside, so they had to be creative with theme or use mostly current licenses with a few exceptions.
The designers of these games were also fairly young and full of youthful enthusiasm and creativity.

Agreed. Now, nearly every theme that comes out from "the big 2" needs either a complimentary AARP membership or a BluRay of Liberty Medical with Wilford Brimley addressing diabetes....

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Bumper:

I don't understand, what happened those two years when all these ten great machines were made?
Twilight Zone, Bally, 1993
The Addams Family, Bally, 1992
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure, Williams, 1993
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Williams, 1993
White Water, Williams, 1993
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Bally, 1992
Bram Stoker's Dracula, Williams, 1993
The Getaway: High Speed II, Williams, 1992
Judge Dredd, Bally, 1993
Fish Tales, Williams, 1992
https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/custom?gamefamily=custom&only_games_from=1992&only_games_to=1993

All great games! I currently own two of this list but will be adding a few more over the next couple of years.

#22 5 years ago

The Addams Family happened.

...Yeah, that's literally what it boils down to.

#23 5 years ago

Hey man, TFTC is a fun game.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That was also during a time where there were arcades, bowling alleys, and restaurants full of pinball machines and lots and lots of people loved pinball. Now you have a very small group of people that like pinball and there are no pinball machines on location in most places amd the small percentage of people who do like pinball are mostly older people that enjoyed it back in the 70's.

Those themes are marketed toward the age group that is buying them. I dont know why that is so damn hard for some people to understand. Us old phuks are the ones that have the expendable cash and the desire to buy the majority of these games, and besides that every theme is not directed toward older people either.

Also Pinside is hardly to blame for the themes that are being made, these themes are what the majority of us pinheads want!

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Agreed. Now, nearly every theme that comes out from "the big 2" needs either a complimentary AARP membership or a BluRay of Liberty Medical with Wilford Brimley addressing diabetes....

I don’t necessarily agree w u, but gosh darn it was hilarious, thanks

#26 5 years ago

What's funny about that is that several of those actually tanked on route and were hated by operators.

#27 5 years ago

I remember as a child in the 80's how video arcades were popping up everywhere. My guess is that the draw of the new video medium essentially made pinball obsolete... but by the time the 90's rolled around, video games, were no longer a novelty and the home gaming market was starting up. This meant that arcades needed something new to bring in customers, which allowed pinball to make a comeback, with arcades throwing money at them to try to stay relevant... so my guess is there was a lot of money spent during this time... and when money flows, there is competition, and innovation follows.

I think we are in a new resurgence in pinball, with a good economy, and a combination of guys like me who played these games in the 90's now having the money to put them in our man caves, as well as millennial's trying to stand out from the crowd, people will remember games from these years as fondly as the games made back in the early 90's

#28 5 years ago

Holy crap... I just realized that I need STTNG to complete that entire '92-'93 line-up.

I always loved the games from this era, as at the time it seemed like every new game was coming out with new and unique features, the themes were great whether licensed or original, the art was all hand drawn and beautiful (IMO), everything seemed packed with features, the then new DMDs were much cooler than the alphanumeric displays previously, and the rule sets were deeper than ever (but not nutty deep - you could get to the wizard modes in the arcades if you were good enough). Just all around good times.

#29 5 years ago

1986 seems to be a turning point year as well... I think I've owned 7 1986 games recently.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

1986 seems to be a turning point year as well... I think I've owned 7 1986 games recently.

High Speed was revolutionary.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Those themes are marketed toward the age group that is buying them. I dont know why that is so damn hard for some people to understand.

What I understand is no matter how much money you have or how hard you try, there is no buying your youth back. If you can't be happy in the now, you might as well pack it up and die.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What I understand is no matter how much money you have or how hard you try, there is no buying your youth back. If you can't be happy in the now, you might as well pack it up and die.

Its not about buying your youth back though, these are the themes that the people who are buying most of the games like.

#33 5 years ago

In '92, I was driving around in a Mazda Miata. Chose that over a 5.0 Mustang. What was I thinking? An LX 5.0 notchback would of been the better choice.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its not about buying your youth back though, these are the themes that the people who are buying most of the games like.

Sure is a pricy way to relive the past. I get it for free watching re-runs on TV. Best part is when the show is over, I don't have the constant reminder sitting there.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

In '92, I was driving around in a Mazda Miata. Chose that over a 5.0 Mustang. What was I thinking? An LX 5.0 notchback would of been the better choice.

A 5.0 Foxbody will be my generations '69 Camaro.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

What's funny about that is that several of those actually tanked on route and were hated by operators.

Indiana Jones was always broken and never working right. but still took your money anyway.

#37 5 years ago

Sometimes there is a conjunction in one location of minds that change the world. For examples, the writers of the Declaration of Independence, the founders of whatever is your religion, or Thoreau/Emerson/Hawthorne in New England. Lots more examples out there. On the darker side, Hitler/Trotsky/Stalin and Freud all lived in Vienna in 1913.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

The Addams Family happened.
...Yeah, that's literally what it boils down to.

I think I understand, because of that success, the designers got so much budget and were so motivated that they were able to build brilliant games, and that within a year.

Quoted from mrossman5:

Agree, good games:

Tales from the Crypt, Data East, 1993
Jurassic Park, Data East, 1993
Last Action Hero, Data East, 1993
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends, Data East, 1993

But I like Star Wars, 1992 better.

#39 5 years ago

It amazes me how many games actually got produced in just two years. These weren't just average games either but awesome games with great gameplay, great art, video modes, and great dots. Now some pinball companies struggle to get just one out in that time. Then it takes a few more years to get the code complete.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Now some pinball companies struggle to get just one out in that time. Then it takes a few more years to get the code complete.

Games are much deeper and complex today. You also have to integrate color changing LED's, more music, more scenes, etc into the code.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sure is a pricy way to relive the past. I get it for free watching re-runs on TV. Best part is when the show is over, I don't have the constant reminder sitting there.

Pinball is actually the cheapest hobby ive ever had. Ive lost my ass on cars, racecars, boats, women, partying, and motorcycles through the years......which i dont regret by the way. My pinball machines keep their value pretty good. Im also not buying them to relive my past, im buying them because i love pinball. I thought that you owned a bunch of games yourself o-din? Also, when you spend your money on a hobby that you love and it brings you happiness then its well worth the money that you are spending. You only get one life so you need to try and enjoy it as much as possible.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

" I grew up playing video games in the 80s and was never really exposed to or cared about pinball until I first played Addams Family and Twilight Zone at the local bowling alley."
And the rest, as they say, is history...

i'm in the same boat. Started playing right before addams. Was hardcore video game player, and when I first started collecting, i was only about DMD's.....But I learned to appreciate games from 1943-2018. All eras have something great to offer, and all eras have crap to offer. But you have to be open minded to see it. Can't be all about 1 manufacturer, or one era of game. There is great stuff all around.

#43 5 years ago

So if you "like all pinball machines from 1992 and 1993" then I assume you have played and like all of these which have not been mentioned yet:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World
Black Rose
Lethal Weapon 3
Doctor Who
Cue Ball Wizard
Al's Garage Band Goes On A World Tour
Street Fighter II
Tee'd Off
Punchy the Clown
Gladiators
Wipe Out
U.S.A. Football
Dual Pool
Mystery Castle
Pistol Poker
Dinosaur Eggs
Michael Jordan
Aaron Spelling
Hook
Arnon Milchan
250 C.C.
Atleto
Metal Man
Bushido

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Games are much deeper and complex today. You also have to integrate color changing LED's, more music, more scenes, etc into the code.

To some degree but technology has improved a lot in 25 years. I have been doing programming for some time now and it's far different programming today than just 25 years ago. I also question that games are really that more complex today then back then. The TZ next to my MET pro looks far more advanced with more toys, more switches, subways, mini pf, etc JJP definitely more advanced but takes them many years to get one game made. B/W probably threw more resources at pins but still impressive to me that they could produce so many great games in a short period time.

#45 5 years ago

simple rules, awesome themes/licenses, multiball, fan layout.
Thanks
Blake

#46 5 years ago

Yeah, that's always a win there. Especially on games like Addams and TZ

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

because your closed minded?

Nah. I would assert that he just has great taste in pins. TZ and IJ are two of the greatest pins ever made. Period.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

So if you "like all pinball machines from 1992 and 1993" then I assume you have played and like all of these which have not been mentioned yet:
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World
Black Rose
Lethal Weapon 3
Doctor Who
Cue Ball Wizard
Al's Garage Band Goes On A World Tour
Street Fighter II
Tee'd Off
Punchy the Clown
Gladiators
Wipe Out
U.S.A. Football
Dual Pool
Mystery Castle
Pistol Poker
Dinosaur Eggs
Michael Jordan
Aaron Spelling
Hook
Arnon Milchan
250 C.C.
Atleto
Metal Man
Bushido

Bahahahaaha... That's so funny . Well done

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I thought that you owned a bunch of games yourself o-din? Also, when you spend your money on a hobby that you love and it brings you happiness then its well worth the money that you are spending.

Sure I do. I've spent more than my share on them too. Had 100s of them so far. But I'm long over trying to get some sort of nostalgic kick out of them.

If I want old, I'll buy old. But if I'm buying new, I want it to be new.

#50 5 years ago

I remember walking into Aladins Castle and there sat brand new Addams Family and brand new High Speed 2 The Getaway. 4 hours flew by way too fast.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-i-like-all-pinball-machines-from-1992-and-1993?hl=bertie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.