Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by zr11990
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

index (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Ok... I got to go on a little bit of a rant, so bear with me.

I saw on the market page that someone was in need a part for their machine. I have the part so I offer it up to them for. Easy enough, right?

I gave a price of $15 shipped. I thought that was fair. He came back at $10. So you're saying , "what's wrong with that"?

Well.....I live 15 miles from the nearest post office and my truck gets about 15 mpg. So by the time I drive to the post office and back, I have sucked 2 gallons of gas at $2.50 per gallon or $5.00 in gas. Then I have to pay for the shipping maybe $3.00 plus the padded envelope to ship it in. So I break even in the deal at his price.

Now I know what you are thinking...you should have asked more for the part. And you are probably right, but I am trying to do someone a favor by helping them get a part that is no longer made so they can get their game going, but they always want to jew you down when you are already giving them a good deal.

I see this all the time on sites like LET GO and OFFER UP where I sometimes try to sell stuff I don't need anymore. Then they sometime what me to deliver it as well.

So back to my question.....Why Bother.

#2 6 years ago

Throw the part in the garbage , hell with him.

#3 6 years ago

When I was 14, I’d go around the neighborhood after a snow storm. I’d tell people it was $20 tomshovel their driveway and walkway. So many people would come back and say they’d give me $10.

Seriously...what is wrong with so many people in our society.

This was back in 1992...it’s not like $20 was outrageous.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

but they always want to jew you down

Classy.

#5 6 years ago

Tell him it is now $30.

#6 6 years ago

You're taking this too personal. There's a million people in this world and a few of them may be interested in this part. Don't throw it away, but like pinbum said, to hell with him. Just end the conversation with "Sorry, that's not worth my effort" and maybe the next person who needs the part will recognize the good deal. I'm not a haggler either, so when I list something its exactly for what I want for it...and even when I make that perfectly clear up front, there's folks that assume there has to be "wiggle room" or negotiation. Nope.

index (resized).pngindex (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

If they are unwilling to spend $15 on a part that is no longer made to get a game up and running they have no business owing a pinball just walk away.

#8 6 years ago

Tell him you priced it fairly. If it’s OBO, it’s now $25 because new info has come to light that increased its value.

“no” is the most powerful word in the English language

#9 6 years ago

I don't understand the outrage. You said it was $15, he said he'd pay $10. What's the problem? You have three options 1) accept the $10 2) counter (e.g., split the difference) or 3) politely say, no, I need $15 or it's not worth my trouble. Simple enough. If people making a counteroffer is that offensive to you, I'd suggest opening up the conversation with "I actually have the part, it's a pain for me to get to the post office, so I need at least $15 to make it worth my while" Then you've established the fact that it is a 'take it or leave it' situation.

(I admit it, guess I'm old....I just don't understand the moral outrage people feel over things these days, we're not talking about people's lives here)

#10 6 years ago

EDIT:^^ He beat me to it

Or you could just respond saying "sorry, $15 is the best I can do on this one." And the guy will either buy it or not. Everyone tries to get a deal one way or another, no need to take it personally.

What's the part anyway?

#11 6 years ago

I hate when people do that. Just pay the damn 15 bucks.

#12 6 years ago

I not really offended that the guy countered, but it just seems everyone wants something for free nowadays.

If I need something that is no longer made or hard to find and I find it, I pay whatever the price is. But that's just me I guess.

#13 6 years ago

This is nothing compare to selling stuff at yard sales. You have something listed for 25 cents and someone offers a nickle.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I not really offended that the guy countered, but it just seems everyone wants something for free nowadays.

These two statements are in direct conflict. He doesn't want the part for FREE, he wants it for $10. YOU have the part. YOU have the leverage in the transaction. Tell him no. - or - Tell him "ok, 10 bucks plus shipping". there, you're all set.

#15 6 years ago

What is the part? Maybe you can start a bidding war.

#16 6 years ago

There is nothing wrong with negotiating pricing, and it occurs in every walk of life from garage sells to purchasing yachts and real estate. Others have given sound advice, but if you don't want to haggle and start with your lowest price then just say something like "$15 firm, lower offers will not be considered" and then ignore/don't respond to any lower offers (you will get some).

#17 6 years ago

Ill buy it! wait what is it?

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

they always want to jew you down when you are already giving them a good deal.

Think on it for a second and you’ll see why that’s a highly offensive phrase.

#19 6 years ago

That’s why my original asking price is always more than I really want. Most people will try to pay less than the selling price. When they “get me down” they think they won and we both win. If you are firm on price put FIRM and don’t settle for less

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

but they always want to jew you down when you are already giving them a good deal.

So people always ask for a lower price to your ad and you just can't figure out what to do? Hmm that is a tough one.

Quoted from timab2000:

So back to my question.....Why Bother.

Maybe the answer is you bother so you can continue to have a reason to make offensive comments.

#22 6 years ago

I get how it is frustrating that everyone tries to get you down on your price. However, I have never paid the asking price on any pinball machine i've bought. Lets face it everyone wants to get a deal. I would moving forward list things as firm on price if you know the items worth what the asking price is. My 2 cents

#23 6 years ago

You live in Atkins, IA. What else are you going to do with your day?

#24 6 years ago

I guess you guys are missing the point. I am not opposed to haggling on price. But At some point you have to cover the cost. That's all I was trying to say. But some people don't seem to get that.

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

You live in Atkins, IA. What else are you going to do with your day?

What's your point???

#25 6 years ago

Well I don't get it. What's wrong with negotiating a price? If $15 is your number tell him take it or leave it. Don't even offer to sell if it's that much trouble.

#26 6 years ago

Don't counter offer such a low price that it doesn't cover the seller cost to get it to you . Not that hard to figure out.

I wasn't going to make anything at 15 but at 10 I'm in the hole. Trying to do the guy a favor and this is what you get, that's my point

Don't look a gift horse in the face and, nice guys finish last. If you don't know what the first one means, ask your parents

Lesson learn on my part.

#27 6 years ago

Could you print a postal label and have your mailman/woman pick it up from you?

#28 6 years ago

I was offered a couple parts I was looking for yesterday for $15 and I couldn't get to PayPal any faster.

#29 6 years ago

don't say "you got jewed"

don't sell him your item if you dont want to.

out of here before the lock.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

but they always want to jew you down

You put in a comment like that but you rant over $5.00. That doesn't say much about your character either. Just say No and move on.

#31 6 years ago

I think some just like to negotiate. I remember we had a garage sale once and had a candle marked $.25. A woman picked it up and offered $.10. I laughed, but ultimately told her she could just take it. This other woman picked up some CDs and offered something less then the asking price. Because they were CDs I didn't mind keeping, I said "no thanks". This woman gives me this major stink eye and says, "well, I'm just going to put them back then." PLEASE DO!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

but they always want to "jew" you down when you are already giving them a good deal.

Some might view your choice of words as offensive and anti-Semitic.

#33 6 years ago

Still would like to know what the part is???

#34 6 years ago

Have to tell us what the part was, unless it makes the story less sensational.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from captainadam_21:

This is nothing compare to selling stuff at yard sales. You have something listed for 25 cents and someone offers a nickle.

We gave up on having garage/yard sales years ago. Not worth the trouble, we just donate to Goodwill now.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I think some just like to negotiate. I remember we had a garage sale once and had a candle marked $.25. A woman picked it up and offered $.10. I laughed, but ultimately told her she could just take it. This other woman picked up some CDs and offered something less then the asking price. Because they were CDs I didn't mind keeping, I said "no thanks". This woman gives me this major stink eye and says, "well, I'm just going to put them back then." PLEASE DO!

Quoted from lpeters82:

you could put a fully restored Funhouse on Craigslist for $2500 and some one will offer you less. Then wine like a baby when you sell it to someone else because "No fair, I was first in line..."

I put an near perfect upright driver arcade for sale on a Facebook group for $250 (played blind) was told by a "market expert" that was way too much for a non working arcade game, meanwhile received 2 - "I will take it" and it was sold.

#37 6 years ago

I would politely respond that his counter offer is refused and the part is no longer for sale. It teaches the buyer a lesson and well, you don't work for free.

#38 6 years ago

I’m all for negotiating, but when it comes to low value items, and/or items that are hard to find....just pay it.

#39 6 years ago

Just tell the guy that his $10 offer caused so much grief that the part is now $16 firm shipped.

Perhaps he will learn a good lesson on when to counter offer and when not to.

#40 6 years ago

Did your customer know that you’d lose money at $10? I wouldn’t take it personally people are just preprogrammed to negotiate. If you explained the $15 as clearly to him as you did in your post he’d probably take it no problem and you wouldn’t need to post about it.

#41 6 years ago

Here's the deal with me. If I see something I want/need and they are asking what I will pay, I respond and say "I will take it". If they are asking more than I will pay I don't respond and look elsewhere. The need level on my part influences the price I will pay.

But... if I have low dollar part I see someone needs that I have no use for I offer it up for free. Hell I have even paid shipping many times out of my own pocket if I can stick it in a envelope or a small box.

I have given away a BUNCH of little stuff here on Pinside I see people need. I never know that I might need a low dollar part that they have and remember.

#42 6 years ago

I would respond to his low ball offer with a counter offer of $20!
    Negotiators LOVE this tactic.
    Take it or leave it and Have a nice day buddy.
    What was the part by the way?

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Ok... I got to go on a little bit of a rant, so bear with me.
    I saw on the market page that someone was in need a part for their machine. I have the part so I offer it up to them for. Easy enough, right?

You cold approached someone on an ad offering to sell them a product. They have every right to counter offer.

#44 6 years ago

Don’t like your “Jew” comment.

Seems like you don’t want to edit it after it was mentioned, so go ahead with living your 15 miles away from a post office, out of touch with the world life and then complaining about it.

#45 6 years ago

You can't offend someone with the term "jew".

You allow yourself to become offended. We are responsible with how we respond to something. Better world if everyone would be less offended at everything

#46 6 years ago

Personally I don't charge people for the amount of gas it takes me to drop an item off at the P.O. and I never understood why someone would. Walk to the P.O. if its such an issue. It cost you nothing and is nice exercise !

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Don’t like your “Jew” comment.

You really can't use racial terms like that online. Your every word on here is closely scrutinized and it can offend when you may really not intend to. In conversation, terms like that can be overlooked or glossed over but not in writing. Usually a simple apology and a removal and all is good.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Think on it for a second and you’ll see why that’s a highly offensive phrase.

Get over it, its just a phrase. And, its not like it wasn't earned.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

...out of touch with the world life and then completing about it.

"...completing about it."?

Do you mean auto-completing about it?

#50 6 years ago

This thread's gonna fall apart soon!!

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-i-even-bother?hl=zene10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.