Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by IckinItwit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Not that I'm against it, but I'm guessing it has to do with...

#2 11 years ago

though Hipsters were more into things on an ipod or smart phone?
    pinball is too easy for 'em

#3 11 years ago

I don't get it, it has to do with... ?

Dumb hipster joke for ya:

Why did the hipster burn his mouth on the pizza?

#4 11 years ago

Hipsters & the elderly scare me...

#5 11 years ago

wtf is a hipster?

#6 11 years ago

They probably only liked it when the masses didn't
    I imagine it is now deemed uncool since it has gained popularity.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Not that I'm against it, but I'm guessing it has to do with...

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Why did the hipster burn his mouth on the pizza?

Because he ate it before it was cool.

Quoted from pudluther:

wtf is a hipster?

Here you go...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hipster

#9 11 years ago

because pin pin is a sub culture that can be deemed as 'cool'? such as hipsters are 'cool'

#10 11 years ago

ah. i've always just called them "douchebags."

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

Indeed.

#12 11 years ago

I like definition #1 think its an honest representation - thanks kwiKimart

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from pudluther:

Too funny

#14 11 years ago

"vintage" yo.
    But seriously who really cares. I've met plenty of "hipsters" through the pinball scene in Vancouver. They're all pretty decent in my experiences.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

pinball is too easy for 'em []

You mean to difficult.

#16 11 years ago

To answer the original question - Why do hipsters like pinball?

Taking a wild guess at it, and using the urban dictionary definition as a guide I'd say they like it because it's everything that the console gaming of XBox 360 & PS3 isn't. Having said that I'm
    relatively sure there's plenty of hipsters that love playing XBox & PS3.

I'm hoping that being 47 takes me out of the age range for being a hipster. According to the Urban Dictionary the age range is 20's-30's.

I do have an IPhone, but I seriously think that doesn't automatically qualify a person as being a hipster.

If liking pinball and having an IPhone makes me a hipster, then F**K it, I'm a hipster.

#17 11 years ago

"Hipster" is just the newest in a long line of terms that act as a "catch all" for a certain type of "look," or fashion.

It's so over used at this point it is pointless. "Hey, look at those guys drinking PBR...wow hipsters!"
    Makes no sense.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Hipster" is just the newest in a long line of terms that act as a "catch all" for a certain type of "look," or fashion.
    It's so over used at this point it is pointless. "Hey, look at those guys drinking PBR...wow hipsters!"
    Makes no sense.

Funny, I never heard the term until I read it here. Guess I'm not very hip.

#19 11 years ago

There's a movie with Peter Weller (robocop) from the 80's called First Born, with Teri Garr, Corey Haim and another kid.

There's a scene where they're eating in a restaurant and he say's to the older kid, "what's hip?"
    And the kid, named Jake say's "Hip isn't Hip anymore".

Funny after all these years I still remember this quote.

#20 11 years ago

Hipster Doofus!

#21 11 years ago

The Term has been around since the 50s i believe...I think it may be a Jack karowack thing but I'm not a reader. It's been molded into whatever people want to use it for now.

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Guess I'm not very hip.

Not true, you're probably just really old

Quoted from JWS64:

called First Born, with Teri Garr, Corey Haim and another kid.

Christopher Collet....that kid had at all. Rockin' parties with booze, coke, and pinballs!

#22 11 years ago

There are two bars in my town that are known as "hipster" bars. Both have solid pin lineups. If that is how pinball is going to re-enter the wild, more power to the tightpants whitebelt greasehair scene.

#23 11 years ago

Cause its hip to flip. I hate the term hipster.

#24 11 years ago

im friends with a few "hipster" types.... most of them are pretty cool.

but there are the elite few hipsters i tend to call RECORD SNOBS. they collect everything rare, obscure, 12 inch records, 7 inches, imports, colored vinyl. oh, they will also make sure to tell you how MUCH they know about those obscure bands and how LITTLE you know

seems like right now the hipster trends are moustaches, old skinny jeans cutoff into shorts, raybans, greasy dirty hair, that whole "i really dont care" look.

#25 11 years ago

Which is worse: hipster or emo?

#26 11 years ago

some of my old fav bands are considered emo.... my tops would be sunny day real estate. they are still one of the most influential bands of all time (that most people have never heard of).

is emo even still around?? i dont keep up with the band scene like i used to. work, kids, and pins take up all my time now

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

IMO, most emo kids eventually turn into hipsters.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

Merely shades apart in essence. I think the hipster movement was born of emo.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

Neither is "worse" or "better." If you were to infiltrate a group of 30 years old at a dive bar drinking PBR, you would wait until a group of other hoodie wearing, beard having, glasses wearing group to walk in the door, and the group you were in would say "Oh jesus look, a bunch of hipsters." (the seond group might actually show you are anywhere located in Chicago).

But To me Emo is another made up term, but I'm saying Emo are younger kids that grow up into hipsters.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

im friends with a few "hipster" types.... most of them are pretty cool.
    but there are the elite few hipsters i tend to call RECORD SNOBS. they collect everything rare, obscure, 12 inch records, 7 inches, imports, colored vinyl. oh, they will also make sure to tell you how MUCH they know about those obscure bands and how LITTLE you know
    seems like right now the hipster trends are moustaches, old skinny jeans cutoff into shorts, raybans, greasy dirty hair, that whole "i really dont care" look.

You got it.

One item you forgot to mention: NO hipster would ever call himself a hipster!

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

But To me Emo is another made up term, but I'm saying Emo are younger kids that grow up into hipsters.

Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

IMO, most emo kids eventually turn into hipsters.

#32 11 years ago

NO hipster would ever call himself a hipster!

Becasue no hipster thinks they are a hipster.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

tonymiddendorf said: NO hipster would ever call himself a hipster!
    Becasue no hipster thinks they are a hipster.

Right- because hipsters are all SOOO unique and independent thinkers ... right?

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chudmeat:

Emo for sure. Emo-Goth, combined they make a deadly depressing force to be avoided at all costs.

Quoted from TheLaw:

The Term has been around since the 50s i believe...I think it may be a Jack karowack thing but I'm not a reader. It's been molded into whatever people want to use it for now.
    GoneFishinLvMsg said: Guess I'm not very hip.

Not true, you're probably just really old
    JWS64 said:called First Born, with Teri Garr, Corey Haim and another kid.

Christopher Collet....that kid had at all. Rockin' parties with booze, coke, and pinballs!

Man, you just reminded me that there was a pinball machine in First Born. In the movie it belonged to the boyfriend (peter weller) who had moved in with the mom (terri garr) and he offers to let Jake play it anytime he wants to and the kid cops an attitude and says "no thanks".

#35 11 years ago

Right- because hipsters are all SOOO unique and independent thinkers ... right?

Hey, the only way to be different is to be the same.

#36 11 years ago

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too."

-Grampa Simpson

This quote comes to mind when I hear the term hipster thrown around, as this is his response to people who are 'hip' and 'with it'.

#37 11 years ago

I think tight jeans were an Emo thing...not hipster...but they probably grew into it. Emo of course coming from the "emo-core" punk rock scene invented by Ian McKaye. Which of course made absolutly no sense to begin with & Ian McKaye hated. What it was made out to be recently was a bunch of whinny little mall punk music which was terrible.
    Just like the hot button term before that was "Goth." Eventhough non of it had to do with real goth music, but more a way of dress.

It comes in waves.

Let them live there lives like they want to, no problem there. Now Foodies on the other hand, these F*&^kers are the real enemy

#38 11 years ago

what's a foodie??

Quoted from TheLaw:

I think tight jeans were an Emo thing...not hipster...but they probably grew into it. Emo of course coming from the "emo-core" punk rock scene invented by Ian McKaye. Which of course made absolutly no sense to begin with & Ian McKaye hated. What it was made out to be recently was a bunch of whinny little mall punk music which was terrible.
    Just like the hot button term before that was "Goth." Eventhough non of it had to do with real goth music, but more a way of dress.
    It comes in waves.
    Let them live there lives like they want to, no problem there. Now Foodies on the other hand, these F*&^kers are the real enemy

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

what's a foodie??

A food snob.

"I only eat vegan, vegetarian, grass-fed, artisan, kosher, organic food." <- thats the annoying type

I consider myself a psuedo-foodie. That just means that I like to try new and different foods. I try not to eat at chain restaurants. My favorite part of travelling is eating local cuisine.

Like any generalization, there are a wide variety of 'foodies'

#40 11 years ago

Foodie is the new douche on the block. Basically all the crap you hear on tv cooking shows.
    They love spending all their money on over priced resturaunts. All "farm fresh" "local" blah blah blah...super clubs, "euorpean size" servings, artisan, hand crafted, "green pork" etc etc. Worst of all the call themselves foodies. You know...like we all don't need food to live.

We have a resturaunt in my town that serves Pizzas...stay with me here...they have pizzas on the menu but you cannot substitute any items on the pizza, because the "chef" has hand chosen them to play off each other perfectly. IT'S A FU&^$nG PIZZA.

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Foodie is the new douche on the block. Basically all the crap you hear on tv cooking shows.
    They love spending all their money on over priced resturaunts. All "farm fresh" "local" blah blah blah...super clubs, "euorpean size" servings, artisan, hand crafted, "green pork" etc etc. Worst of all the call themselves foodies. You know...like we all don't need food to live.
    We have a resturaunt in my town that serves Pizzas...stay with me here...they have pizzas on the menu but you cannot substitute any items on the pizza, because the "chef" has hand chosen them to play off each other perfectly. IT'S A FU&^$nG PIZZA.

+1

Though, I don't think they are all bad. But, those that take it to the extreme that TheLaw describes ... pathetic

#42 11 years ago

Yeah of course not all of them are bad...it's always the extremes of any "group" that ruin it for everyone. Do I care that a hipster thinks records are better than CDs? No, plenty of people do and that's fine. Do I need someone 10 years my junior, probably too young to have a record player, telling me "I'm totally missing out on the vinyl sound man there's so much more texture and range in there?" No, it's annoying.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Do I need someone 10 years my junior, probably too young to have a record player, telling me "I'm totally missing out on the vinyl sound man there's so much more texture and range in there?" No, it's annoying.

Hahaha, yup!

#44 11 years ago

If I could be young again I would be the coolest of the coolest Hipsters ever,
    would talk in riddles all day in a low dragged out voice
    know all the hip bars/clubs in the city
    party all night wake up around noon
    never have to pay to get in anywhere
    - have the club owners pay me to hang out & mingle at events
    have ladies pay me to teach them dance moves that I just made up an hour ago
    my pad would have a 60s inspired theme- bar , fire poll , and about 5-6 wedge heads in a row
    ......Hmmmm? not much more I can think of

#45 11 years ago

The one thing I know about hipsters is that they rarely refer to themselves as hipsters.

#46 11 years ago

ahhh... got it. thanks for the info.

so i guess a FOODIE would look down on me for eating a tasty double double and animal style fries?

Quoted from TheLaw:

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

so i guess a FOODIE would look down on me for eating a tasty double double and animal style fries?

*GASP* Oh, the humanity!!!!!

#48 11 years ago

I don't have any problem with hipsters or any other part of subculture. I only take issue with those that look down on me because i don't conform to what they like. I guess kinda like some of you are hacking on hipsters for doing what they do. Whatever that is...

I'm not a hipster despite the glasses.

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

If you're not familair with Portlandia, they nail it pretty well

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

A foodie might not. After all at least In N out makes most of it's stuff in house but your cardiologist would probably have something to say

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-hipsters-like-pinball?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.