Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by IckinItwit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I don't have any problem with hipsters or any other part of subculture. I only take issue with those that look down on me because i don't conform to what they like. I guess kinda like some of you are hacking on hipsters for doing what they do. Whatever that is...
    I'm not a hipster despite the glasses.

You're right. I really don't have a problem with them either- until they start to turn their nose up at me. My posts only reflect my feelings toward those.

My best buddy is a hipster (not if you ask him) and he's the best kind.

Like all stereotyped groups, it's the extremes that get focused on.

The more pinball fans, the better!

#52 11 years ago

I think I may be a hipster in some ways. I do collect old things that everyone has forgotten. I have an enormous vinyl collection, but think cd's obviously have better sound. And I restore pinball machines and EM games. Upon reading this thread I see people are under the delusion that pinball is the new 'in' thing right now, but it's not. It's only 'in' with all of us pin addicts, but 99.8% of the rest of the world hasn't seen a pinball machine in 20 years, or if under 30 has never played one unless someone like us introduced them to it. It may be a novelty to them, where it's a religion to us.
    I don't know, I just never liked what everyone else likes. When everyone was into disco, I liked hard rock. When everyone went sugar-free, I preferred real sugar. I always went against the grain. You can be that way and not be a douche about it. There are douches in every walk of life, in every hobby, in every field. It's just that now the internet has made a million times more know-it-all douches than ever before.
    I truly don't get the mustache/tight pants thing though.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballShawn:

I always went against the grain. You can be that way and not be a douche about it.

#54 11 years ago

I feel like you're not a true hipster until you take on/express a condescending/elitist attitude about it. Which seems to me like it got more recently stirred up with the indie music scene where people looked down on you for liking a band after they got a record deal and started making money. Or they would talk about bands no one had heard of and pride themselves on listening to them because they were so un-mainstream.

Hating everything that's modern and in-style is fine until it becomes the modern and in-style thing to do. At that point the real hipster starts liking the Jonas brothers because it's counter to the counter culture. An identity based on not being a mirror image has no identity when there's nothing to not be a reflection of. Nothing wrong with liking what you like, even if it happens to be against the grain.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-hipsters-like-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.