(Topic ID: 174626)

Why do all your pins behave until they know you have friends coming?

By MK6PIN

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I swear, it happens EVERY time.....been playing these damn things mostly by myself, trouble free, for over a couple months ( minor mods and cleaning aside).

Employees coming over later this week to drink and play a bit....my indigo clock on my TZ loses its mind, lose a color letter on my WOZ, and even my SM trough sensor is acting up a bit.....all over this past week. WTF? These machines KNOW, and I think they start getting attitudes if I break the norm.

Who owns who, actually??

#2 7 years ago

They don't like strangers touching them.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Wait till you think about selling one. Woof...

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Spot on Lloyd!!!....has anyone hired a pinball exorcist? ( they can't see me typing this request..)

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

Wait till you think about selling one. Woof...

A terrifying proposition. I'm going to rearrange the lineup when the new ones eventually arrive....I have concerns...

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

has anyone hired a pinball exorcist?

I provide those services. I must be installed for two hours on the possessed machine, with no one in the room and no recording devices active.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from ApronOfDestiny:

I provide those services. I must be installed for two hours on the possessed machine, with no one in the room and no recording devices active.

Ahhhh AOD....why didn't I think of that!!!! Had no idea you had resurfaced....we will need to negotiate!!!!

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ahhhh AOD....why didn't I think of that!!!! Had no idea you had resurfaced....we will need to negotiate!!!!

Well...resurfaced is a matter of perspective. I've been locked away in a smelly basement for some time...all I can hear is daft punk music constantly playing in the distant background...

#9 7 years ago

I take it you have not made a sacrifice to the pinball gods lately. It needs to be a blood sacrifice. Pick any machine, lift the playfield, stick your head under like your looking at a switch way in the back and knock the prop bar loose. It hurts like hell bet your machines with work like a champ for 3-6 months depending on the number of stitches you need. Works every time.

#10 7 years ago

I don't know what you are talking about. My machines work fine. And if they don't I fix them.

#11 7 years ago

i really need to know the answer to this!!

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanaPinResto:

I take it you have not made a sacrifice to the pinball gods lately. It needs to be a blood sacrifice. Pick any machine, lift the playfield, stick your head under like your looking at a switch way in the back and knock the prop bar loose. It hurts like hell bet your machines with work like a champ for 3-6 months depending on the number of stitches you need. Works every time.

lmao!!!! This may be why my TAF has been behaving lately. Got a nice gash from that one as I was adjusting the height of the vault turntable, and my arm took the brunt of the pf coming down (to save the machine, of course)...

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't know what you are talking about. My machines work fine. And if they don't I fix them.

If it were only that simple to explain.....

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from ApronOfDestiny:

Well...resurfaced is a matter of perspective. I've been locked away in a smelly basement for some time...all I can hear is daft punk music constantly playing in the distant background...

hmmm...a hint....(sorry about the smelly basement....a terrible fate given you've been around the world)...

#15 7 years ago

Why are you telling them ahead of time? Or are they psychic?

#16 7 years ago

See my NGG tech thread...30 minutes before my son had his friends over for a big sleepover, and the day I was planning on starting to shop out my Hi-Deal--which had stopped working the day *I* had a party.

Its a remarkable skill these damn pins have for knowing when to break!!

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Why are you telling them ahead of time? Or are they psychic?

I never directly told them....this is the scary part!!!!!

#18 7 years ago

My new WoZ had the upper right flipper break just 4 days after I got it when my friends came to check it out. Luckily it was just the spring that pulls the flipper back into place. One end of that spring snapped off. I was able to "adjust" what remained of the spring and it's playable until the replacement spring comes.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

I never directly told them....this is the scary part!!!!!

They're always listening...

#20 7 years ago

"You're invited, but your friend can't come"

#21 7 years ago

If you have them set to take coins, they are more likely to be up for the occasion.

Never met a coin operated machine that likes to be abused for nothing.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you have them set to take coins, they are more likely to be up for the occasion.

I like how you think.......

#23 7 years ago

Actually in my house about a week before we entertain my wife threatens me if I say I'm going to "adjust" something or do some "small repair" because she's well aware of the saying "the enemy of good is..."

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jenk540i:

Actually in my house about a week before we entertain my wife threatens me if I say I'm going to "adjust" something or do some "small repair" because she's well aware of the saying "the enemy of good is..."

I learned a long time ago if you are going on a road trip or vacation NEVER change the oil or do anything to your vehicle. All you have to do is look at a bolt and it will snap or strip or something bad WILL happen. Whatever goes wrong will take 4 days to get the part when you are leaving in 3.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jenk540i:

Well....I've got everything working except one unmentioned item that requires a part I don't have....will be here Wednesday, so in theory, they will all be working correctly in time. Now....shall I play them, or leave them off.

I'm afraid if I don't play them before Friday, they will get suspicious....love them, but don't trust the bastards...

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That is so funny and true.

#27 7 years ago

When you play them they break. When its just me I play one machine and fix any problems that happen. If I turn them all on and have a bunch of people over, the play count goes way up, so more things break or act up. Law of averages.

#28 7 years ago

Wow. The curse of company is real. Had two friends over to see my new game (mentioned above, I've had it 10 days now) today. Game was fine this afternoon. Then... Castle Doors suddenly started sticking open, the crystal ball went out for one game, the flying monkey started dropping the ball too early, and then the game RESTARTED when I had 258,000 on ball 1. Two EBs too. Best game I ever lined up, with witnesses, and the game takes it away.

Don't let friends come check out your NIB games. They'll be cursed.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

Wow. The curse of company is real. Had two friends over to see my new game (mentioned above, I've had it 10 days now) today. Game was fine this afternoon. Then... Castle Doors suddenly started sticking open, the crystal ball went out for one game, the flying monkey started dropping the ball too early, and then the game RESTARTED when I had 258,000 on ball 1. Two EBs too. Best game I ever lined up, with witnesses, and the game takes it away.
    Don't let friends come check out your NIB games. They'll be cursed.

The sad reality is that these machines simply have a mind of their own , and must be treated as such. My only advise to minimize fallout...

a) Contact AoD immediately for its services
    b) Avoid talking ( or even thinking) about upcoming events ANYWHERE around the games. I am scheduling any of these from work moving forward.

c) Possibly dangling a promised mod in front of them, in attempt to bribe.

Disclaimer- no guarantees on outcome, but the best I can recommend. If a spontaneous event occurs, your on your own ( they don't like to be surprised)...

#30 7 years ago

Because pinball!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

c) Possibly dangling a promised mod in front of them, in attempt to bribe.

I'm going to try that one for sure. Just leave it in the box under them for a day or two before an event.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I'm going to try that one for sure. Just leave it in the box under them for a day or two before an event.

There's danger if adjoining machines see it under there, though....need to come up with something they would all like, then potentially do a " walk by"...wondering where you might install it. Maybe that would buy a weekend, IDK...

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

There's danger if adjoining machines see it under there, though....need to come up with something they would all like, then potentially do a " walk by"...wondering where you might install it. Maybe that would buy a weekend, IDK

Hmm, if I didn't have an RFM I'd say the PDI glass would work. But RFM would see it and know it was for him and the CPU would crash immediately.

#34 7 years ago

I find it so funny that EVERYONE has had the same issue! IT NEVER FAILS! Over the years the machines that are "bullet proof" are the worst...No issue forever but as soon as company comes over the most bizarre thing breaks! I spent half my day on a fourth of July one year trying to get the machines back up and running. tHEY WERE ALL SET READY TO PLAY.. had NO ISSUES NO CREDIT DOTS and BAM the minute people start showing up no JOKE two machines go down. There has to be a Curse !!! WHO DID THIS!!!!

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from smiley:

When you play them they break. When its just me I play one machine and fix any problems that happen. If I turn them all on and have a bunch of people over, the play count goes way up, so more things break or act up. Law of averages.

Perfectly logical, although my experience in a home use environment suggests an additional factor besides play count. When my pins are played regularly, they hold up reasonably well and you fix things as you go, just as you described. However, when a pin stays powered off for a long time, then gets played, it's not unusual for something to go haywire right out of the gate. I've seen it again and again, usually in the first one or two games after an extended period of inactivity. And, of course, it's never the same thing twice. A capacitor leaked, shorted, and smoked on Indiana Jones, a somewhat hard-to-get-to whirlpool LED failed on WH2O, the LL flipper died on TZ, lower backbox GI went dead on FT (burnt connector), etc. Apparently, pins like to be played

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hmm, if I didn't have an RFM I'd say the PDI glass would work. But RFM would see it and know it was for him and the CPU would crash immediately.

Correct...Don't, Don't!!!

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from smiley:

If it were only that easy to explain away....

#38 7 years ago

So funny and so true. Happens all the time. It's annoying and embarrassing. Sure play the games, oh what's that? It's kicking two balls out instead of one? What's that? Some crap fell in the hole in the middle and got lodged in the ball trough? I swear this never happens!!

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jesterfunhouse:

I find it so funny that EVERYONE has had the same issue! IT NEVER FAILS! Over the years the machines that are "bullet proof" are the worst...No issue forever but as soon as company comes over the most bizarre thing breaks! I spent half my day on a fourth of July one year trying to get the machines back up and running. tHEY WERE ALL SET READY TO PLAY.. had NO ISSUES NO CREDIT DOTS and BAM the minute people start showing up no JOKE two machines go down. There has to be a Curse !!! WHO DID THIS!!!!

I swear it's like they know!!! I turn on and play my machines quite a bit, and literally am OCD w the nuances of each one. Yet when other people show up ( or a day before) something from left field shows up...

Think earlier posts were spot on :

Quoted from LTG:

And:

Quoted from o-din:

Classic!!!

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

So funny and so true. Happens all the time. It's annoying and embarrassing. Sure play the games, oh what's that? It's kicking two balls out instead of one? What's that? Some crap fell in the hole in the middle and got lodged in the ball trough? I swear this never happens!!

Probably watching a spotlight fallout onto the play field when someone on the machine is up in the top 5 worst...." where's that damn thing going to end up?!"

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-all-your-pins-behave-until-they-know-you-have-friends-coming and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.