(Topic ID: 241548)

Why do all Sterns have three pop bumpers?

By Mizzou0103

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-3 (1) (resized).jpg
    image-7 (resized).jpg
    image-23 (resized).jpg
    image-41 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (resized).jpg
    Nuts (resized).jpg
    gCdIxwb (resized).jpg
    1*aiVVFTXm1X_kdPfpzRG4-Q (resized).png
    030 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DS_Nadine.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

My favorite layout is Shadow and that has no pop bumpers.

So has Street Fighter!

(I actually want that game. )

#70 5 years ago

Pop Bumpers added randomization to make the game harder...

...but cheap drains aren't a good thing anymore with so many games going in home collections.

So therefore (and yes I know Williams also did this allready) the Pop Bumpers are mostly completely packed away in a seperate area where they just get trough ans allways come out the same way. Just like someone above wrote with Star Trek.

You can do something with the code but for gameplay it's just 'keeping some balls busy in multiball' or 'maybe the pops fire the ball up again trough the jet lanes'.

And yes, TNA's single Pop was completely different!

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from tommyp:

I feel like at least in maiden they serve a purpose. They kinda block the left ramp making the shot a lot harder- at least for me. If you miss they make you pay.

Yes, Maiden or Houdini are great exaples to mix that classic formula up a bit.

3 months later
    #110 4 years ago

Because three is more then two and less then four, wich is too much!!!

1 year later
    #112 2 years ago

When I bought my first pin, I wanted one with three Pops, because... well it's just the way most pinball are and I would be missing something if it hasn't pops.
    Also if you're new into this, it is quite a spectacle when they rapidly fire, bouncing that heavy ball back an forth in milliseconds.

Now I'm five years into the hoby, see that mostly all modern games have the pops tucked away where they serve no sense in any way and wonder in despair why they didn't use that "BOM" cost for anything more meaningful.

That said I like how Houdini, Iron Maiden and Jurassic Park placed a shot right trough the pops and broke up the "same-old-same-old" formula.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DS_Nadine.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-all-sterns-have-three-pop-bumpers?tu=DS_Nadine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.