(Topic ID: 319141)

Why do 90s Data East and Sega Pins get so much hate?

By Wiggles

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 162 posts
  • 70 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210120_182132 (resized).jpg
    2f3d97064ba1d8099ca67298f82dd6faa4ee4575 (resized).jpg
    f700585e7e7082d16deaf3dc7bf9a6539ca42f0e (resized).jpg
    image-44 (resized).png
    03b92d26e5fadf5ccf61ebd334c825f5716fe293 (resized).jpg
    6f5d82d0f25d6f9b7c90d221c9f93c1dd9943fed (resized).jpg
    goldeneye (resized).jpg
    2910d330c3b4cb4f02fc84578ce32d3738151e62 (resized).jpg
    533c31ae3705ab0e67a2de43885412aacf3cb7f4 (resized).png
    c1fd4020f6896aab605ab255c569cc859038937b (resized).jpg
    7fde4bd8d20a5f9512253cb3985a6e42 (resized).jpg
    6f8d127ad92a10eec84574d9ead9777dedf5a308 (resized).jpg
    ww (resized).png
    acfc745007fd909c9d66be5020ebc3a3354a7864 (resized).jpg
    4b536fa27d50089cfccd256750c7291e6830160b (resized).jpg
    20200410_193430 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ScottThePhotog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#134 1 year ago

I think for me the biggest turn away for DE/Sega games was the feel and gameplay experience on the later games in the DMD era. I've played several of the DE DMD games and the cabinet construction just felt cheap compared to Bally/Williams and Gottlieb. The stupid plastic shooter handle on Star Wars just felt bad to use. The gameplay was lacking and the cheapness feeling was made worse by silly plastic toys on the playfield (JP, SW, and Star Trek) meant to distract you from lacking gameplay.

The earlier DE games felt better built and more fun to play. They have that classic System 11 charm that just got lost in the DMD era.

Now I do love my Checkpoint and I don't think I would ever sell it. Mainly due to the theme, but the game play is fun and it does have great music. The artwork, especially the backglass, is on a completely different level than some of the other DE games. It looks fantastic and much more polished. I know the game was originally designed 2 years earlier than it's actual release. Perhaps a longer development time and being a non tv/movie theme is why it feels more polished? The cabinet build feels nice and solid like the earlier pre-DMD games and B/W and still has some of that late System 11 feel. It also has some consistently nice feeling shots (like the ramp, the right scoop, and the left spinner) that the later DMD DE games seem to lack.

The solid state flipper feel is definitely different and not necessarily a bad thing. They are certainly quite strong.

My biggest complaint with my Checkpoint is definitely the soundboard issue that plagued DE games. The hum is very noticeable and there is a buzz that pulses with the controlled lights during attract mode. I've never played a DE game that doesn't have the infamous sound board hums and buzzes. The pop bumpers feel kind of anemic as well.

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I have owned 17 Data East, the only cab repairs I had to do was minor on a "container game" from Spain that had impact damage.
    That's it. Gottlieb is notorious for their particle board swelling monsters like Gold Wings and Hollywood Heat. The backside of Bally's and Williams also suffer the same way. I have a Mr & Mrs Pacman, Flash Gordon and Blackout with particle board backs that were just disintegrating.
    Can you point out to me which model DE you noted this problem so I can compare to the ones I have on hand? CrazyLevi (whom I respect quite a bit) is always saying bad things about DE cabs but I have yet to find a single one that isn't stout and in good condition. So much so that Seawitch from Scratch was assembled from a spare Laser War cabinet.

Wow. That's a lot! I haven't had to do any cabinet repairs on any of my games or family members games that I service. I meant that the later DE/Sega games that I've played on location and in private collections just didn't feel as solidly built when I was playing them. It just felt like the cabinet wood was thinner and had more give to it. Perhaps some of that was how they were set up on location.

Quoted from gdonovan:

You can thank Williams for that, they sued Data East over mini-games on the DMD and they had to be removed at the last minute. There was a DMD speeder game that was suppose to be there where you navigated through the forest moon of Endor using the handle.

That's really interesting. I never knew that.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Unless I'm missing something Star Trek has no playfield toys at all and Jurassic Park is universally lauded for its ball eating dinosaur. People go nuts over that thing! The only beef I have with Star Wars is the optional topper looks like a cheap POS my game never came with and it has no shaker which is a crime in my opinion.
    It still is the top selling Data East title in its history so perhaps from Gary Stern's point of view it was the right call to make. I'm going to wire one in and program it one of these days.

I thought Star Trek had some moving ship target in the middle. It's been years since I've played it, so I maybe remembering that incorrectly. It's not that I don't like the dinosaur (it's actually kind of hilarious), it's more that it felt like they used gimmicks like that to make up for lack of gameplay. Like that helicopter on Gottlieb's Rescue 911.

Quoted from gdonovan:

Now there is a title that people flog for being shallow, it is what it is. If you are a car guy, its a fun pin with well integrated shaker. I don't play mine all the time but it is more to my taste over several other DE titles which is why it is still here.. and they are not.

Checkpoint was the last pin to use a backglass, you give disservice to Batman, Phantom of the Opera and several other excellent backglasses DE had done. Once they moved totally into the translite era quality suffered, though Jurassic Park, Guns and Roses looks fine, even Hook is well done.

1) It spent most of that time on a shelf because at test locations it did poor and was canceled.
    2) Gary Stern decided to jam it out because they wanted to beat Williams to market with the first DMD title and there was Checkpoint literally sitting on a pallet rack in dead storage.
    No other reason.

I'm definitely not disagreeing that there's not much complexity to the rules on Checkpoint. It's a shoot the ramp over and over game. But I love the theme, it's fun and has that (for me at least) late 80s System 11 charm which makes it enjoyable.

I didn't know it was the last backglass game for DE. I just never really liked the art style on many of the other DE games. Robocop is one that is firmly cemented in my memory, particularly that playfield (which I think has horrible artwork). Simpsons works really well and looks great and some of the other earlier stuff like Time Machine looks alright, but isn't my favorite. I've never been super impressed with some of the later (post small DMD era) games artwork.

Interesting to know the backstory on it's release.

I don't dislike Data East and have enjoyed playing many of the earlier ones. The later ones just left me wanting something more and moving on to a different game.

#159 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Or calling them pinballs.
    "I have a new pinball."
    "Cool. Do you have a machine to put it in?"

That's like the people who call records, "vinyl".
    "Hey man, i got some new vinyls".
    Ugh. Its a record, LP, or an album. Vinyl is what it is made out of...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ScottThePhotog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-do-90s-data-east-and-sega-pins-get-so-much-hate?tu=ScottThePhotog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.