Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D8DC0498-EC12-422E-BD52-FE1DAEFC6B4C (resized).jpeg
    33899137-241B-4C20-B8BC-3125CF4CFFB7 (resized).jpeg
    8F0AE235-8524-4063-98C5-DFD4D59F7FEA (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PtownPin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from ViperVS:

I'm not looking for a project to create a frankenstein that would take hours and cost 50$ less than a new DMD.
    I'm asking why there isn't a plug-and-play (single color) LCD or LED for 100$ available?

Because very few people want one, and the market is too small...

#40 5 years ago

There is almost zero chance anyone is going to put up the capital to make 10K units for a product is becoming obsolete...that being said I am a bit surprised there aren't more dmd's on the secondary market as many are upgrading to color dmd, which is 100x the product. I suspect many like myself keep the dmd's in case they sell the machine and the new buyer doesn't want to pay for the color dmd.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Problem is that a used dmd is worth 75 to 100 for most people. A new dmd is 175 or so. A color dmd is what 400? Yet people expect to get exactly 400 more for their game with it, despite it being used and not discounting the value of a normal dmd. Kinda baffling really.

$450 if u live in California...the great thing about the color dmd is that you can remove it and use it on another game...that being said most buyers are willing to pay up for the color dmd (I certainly have)...if they don't want it I just install the old crappy one and call it a day.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PtownPin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-dmd-s-are-so-expensive?tu=PtownPin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.