• Late to party, didn't want to wait a year or more 34 votes
    4%
  • Saving $ for another upcoming title 57 votes
    7%
  • NIB is beyond current means 64 votes
    7%
  • Other reason (please elaborate!) 58 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 875 votes by 675 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture2 (resized).png
outta-here (resized).png
SnapOnTheMap.png
bw2 (resized).png
bw1 (resized).jpg
634CB992-B1EB-4422-99D5-094F7F4B4AB9 (resized).jpeg
docmart (resized).PNG
robin-williams-mork-and-mindy-vtr (resized).jpg
456A38EC-B39B-4906-BAA2-CAB872B51D3E.gif
bd9dbf116d0a874440f3fe081161d3c5 (resized).jpg
dd (resized).jpg
3jrtzr (resized).jpg
dd (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

As an operator I have heard and seen very few good things about the build quality and reliability of Spooky games, and have heard many, many bad things. I ask all the ops I know, from a variety of well-known locations across the country, some of which have several of their games out (including the "good ones," TNA and Alice Cooper), and the overwhelming majority of them see their games as both unreliable and poorly built. As an early WOZ pre-orderer who really took the brunt of jumping in excitedly with an unproven new company, waited the years for the game to come out, had endless headaches trying to keep it running once it did, and ultimately took a big loss on the game, I'm definitely gun-shy when it comes to pre-ordering/buying new games from iffy pinball companies. When Spooky posted the pic of the underside of Rick & Morty's playfield, my first thought was that it looked like an amateurish unkempt rat's nest, which really doesn't give me confidence in the rest of their build. I've also noticed that their games are disproportionately broken when I go to arcades and bars that have them, and also tend to get pulled from location altogether before long. It's too bad, because I have little doubt that the game would make money based on the theme alone, I like various aspects of Danesi's designs and enjoyed TNA, and I'm excited to see a pinball company embrace a theme that could resonate with younger players. The price was a pretty big deterrent as well -- it's ridiculous how expensive it is considering how lacking the game is in complexity, but I suppose that was justified to them by it instantly selling out.
Stranger Things is also an exciting theme, but I'm sadly on a self-imposed Stern game buying ban as well because of their playfield issues. JJP as well. So basically as it stands I won't buy brand new machines from anyone, and all because they break too easily or have art that bubbles and flakes off, instantly dropping the value of a game faster than it can even begin to pay for itself. I really hope these companies sort their issues out soon, because it sucks seeing nicely designed and fun games come out (JP has been hard to resist) that I'd like to buy and operate, but pass on because of the risks.

Just wanted to say, TNA #2 (as in the second game built) has been on route since day one with great reliability.

Thousands of plays and still holding up very well. I think the early games AMH and RZ had a bit more issue for reliability on route (nothing out of ordinary) but TNA and afternoon have been rock solid.

Don’t let the wiring due to light set up and how Proc works scare you off. Games are really good.

I think if you operate games, you are crazy not to buy a R&M

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I've also heard that the pins don't hold up too well on location unfortunately. While they have gotten much better with every release I think they have a little ways to go to make most ops happy and ready to purchase one.

This is just flat out wrong.

How many games do they need to have on route and how many OPs need to tell you differently?

I can tell you I track all my time and where it goes. TNA has been the least effort to maintain for any new game in the past 24 months.

Easy to maintain, operator friendly for cleaning, best customer service, and best mech quality and of quality.

all the OPs I talk with (and we all talk to and help each other), TNA and ACNC have been great in route. Issues have always been very simple. Loose connector or a simple switch adjustment. Or a broken spring.

Almost 20% of all built TNAs are still on route. If they were having issues or not getting played then that would be different.

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Ouch, still too soon.
(you had to be there)

lol

#167 4 years ago

i mean... if you need to make some room

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

This...
Their games just feel clunky and kind of cheesy to me. I liked Rob Zombie; but AMH was awful IMO...Not a fan of the theme, and the layout looks so Gottlieb 1985 to me; I don't know, we'll see.

It seems odd to me that people treat all Spooky games as if they are one designer. Lot's of "I tried AMH once and..., so all spooky games must play that way"

AMH was the first 150 games and since that time they have built 1500 games+
Each game has seen vast improvements and Spooky is not the industry leader in many key areas for quality.

I suggest putting some time on TNA (a game actually designed by same designer as R&M) and ACNC (most recent game which shows quality) and then see what you think. It is 180 difference from AMH days.

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

TNA looks dope, I tried playing it at PinballGallery, but it was out of order...
You know each manufacturer has a feel; B/W, Gottlieb, DE, Stern, etc...That's what I was referring to.
You don't have to be a fanboy; OP wanted opinions; I'm giving mine.

not being a fanboy at all.

Yeah, all manufacturers have a feel to them but those feels also change over time and esp with designer (and coder).

Your opinion is very valid, and often heard. Just sharing my opinion that things are very different for the last 2 games compared to earlier and Scott designs games very differently from charlie.

TNA feels very classic Bally/Williams to me and nothing Spooky like the older stuff. Makes sense since much of what they use is based on (or exact?) like those classic mechs

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

It should be "why didn't I buy 2?"

you didn't?

2 weeks later
#264 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I considered it, but I just don't like the idea of buying a game before playing it.
Also, we have a great group of enthusiasts in my area that route games. It seems they'll be putting one out on location. That alleviates a lot of the FONO for me, and that's been true for a lot of the new titles.
I like having a collection of my own, but it's really invaluable to have that supplemented with great route games.

Thanks for dropping quarters and playing them. Only way we can even remotely consider putting out new games is because of the local support

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 300.00
$ 13,500.00
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-didn-t-you-buy-a-rick-and-morty-?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.