• Late to party, didn't want to wait a year or more 34 votes
    4%
  • Saving $ for another upcoming title 57 votes
    7%
  • NIB is beyond current means 64 votes
    7%
  • Other reason (please elaborate!) 58 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 875 votes by 675 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture2 (resized).png
outta-here (resized).png
SnapOnTheMap.png
bw2 (resized).png
bw1 (resized).jpg
634CB992-B1EB-4422-99D5-094F7F4B4AB9 (resized).jpeg
docmart (resized).PNG
robin-williams-mork-and-mindy-vtr (resized).jpg
456A38EC-B39B-4906-BAA2-CAB872B51D3E.gif
bd9dbf116d0a874440f3fe081161d3c5 (resized).jpg
dd (resized).jpg
3jrtzr (resized).jpg
dd (resized).jpg
There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.
#201 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Probably unpopular opinion but it is a spooky game, didn't care for amh or Alice Cooper. I hear tna is great but haven't played it. The games just felt clunky and like they were thrown together (poorly) in a garage.
I'd like to revisit them and see if my opinion has changed at all.

This...

Their games just feel clunky and kind of cheesy to me. I liked Rob Zombie; but AMH was awful IMO...Not a fan of the theme, and the layout looks so Gottlieb 1985 to me; I don't know, we'll see.

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

This...
Their games just feel clunky and kind of cheesy to me. I liked Rob Zombie; but AMH was awful IMO...Not a fan of the theme, and the layout looks so Gottlieb 1985 to me; I don't know, we'll see.

It seems odd to me that people treat all Spooky games as if they are one designer. Lot's of "I tried AMH once and..., so all spooky games must play that way"

AMH was the first 150 games and since that time they have built 1500 games+
Each game has seen vast improvements and Spooky is not the industry leader in many key areas for quality.

I suggest putting some time on TNA (a game actually designed by same designer as R&M) and ACNC (most recent game which shows quality) and then see what you think. It is 180 difference from AMH days.

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It seems odd to me that people treat all Spooky games as if they are one designer. Lot's of "I tried AMH once and..., so all spooky games must play that way"
AMH was the first 150 games and since that time they have built 1500 games+
Each game has seen vast improvements and Spooky is not the industry leader in many key areas for quality.
I suggest putting some time on TNA (a game actually designed by same designer as R&M) and ACNC (most recent game which shows quality) and then see what you think. It is 180 difference from AMH days.

TNA looks dope, I tried playing it at PinballGallery, but it was out of order...

You know each manufacturer has a feel; B/W, Gottlieb, DE, Stern, etc...That's what I was referring to.

You don't have to be a fanboy; OP wanted opinions; I'm giving mine.

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

TNA looks dope, I tried playing it at PinballGallery, but it was out of order...
You know each manufacturer has a feel; B/W, Gottlieb, DE, Stern, etc...That's what I was referring to.
You don't have to be a fanboy; OP wanted opinions; I'm giving mine.

not being a fanboy at all.

Yeah, all manufacturers have a feel to them but those feels also change over time and esp with designer (and coder).

Your opinion is very valid, and often heard. Just sharing my opinion that things are very different for the last 2 games compared to earlier and Scott designs games very differently from charlie.

TNA feels very classic Bally/Williams to me and nothing Spooky like the older stuff. Makes sense since much of what they use is based on (or exact?) like those classic mechs

#205 4 years ago

well, the question should be why did i get 1.

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from benhardy:

well, the question should be why did i get 1.

It should be "why didn't I buy 2?"

#207 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

you didn't?

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I find that it's impressive that a Scott Danesi game sold out that quickly

It sold out that quickly because:

1. The theme - it's Rick and Morty. Perfect pinball demographic theme, especially for operators.

2. There are only 750 units. No more are coming down the road, unlike other companies who can/want to continuously produce them with demand. (i.e. WOZ)

#209 4 years ago

I dont care for alice cooper but that game is pretty freaking fun. I couldn't get away from it at a club meet one night. I also have another pin bud who has tna. I played amh and wasnt impressed. Both tna and acnc are super fun and i would totally own one after having open access to them. I dont see spooky games out there often. Once i played a tna at a pinbar in dallas. It played fine. I couldnt hear it though so it lost a bit of the effect I got later in the home environment.

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

not being a fanboy at all.
Yeah, all manufacturers have a feel to them but those feels also change over time and esp with designer (and coder).
Your opinion is very valid, and often heard. Just sharing my opinion that things are very different for the last 2 games compared to earlier and Scott designs games very differently from charlie.
TNA feels very classic Bally/Williams to me and nothing Spooky like the older stuff. Makes sense since much of what they use is based on (or exact?) like those classic mechs

Nice, I'm excited to play it; I'm going to go back to PinballGallery in the next week or so and will definitely put some time in on it; would love to try Alice Cooper too; but I don't think they have one yet.

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

For those of you complaining about a lack of toys, have you ever played Scott Danesi's first game TNA?...

Yes I have, and I did not like it at all. Repetitive snoozer.

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Hahahahaaa. i guess the wife would have an answer to that in court.

#213 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im happy for those that are excited!
Unfortunately for me, I simply didnt find the playfield exciting enough, other then the Pop Bumper.
That simply meant, Ill wait to play it, before I would consider buying.
Regular stuff, just avoiding the hype and rush.

That’s ok Art you can come over to my house and play it there.
Al

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

It sold out that quickly because:
1. The theme - it's Rick and Morty. Perfect pinball demographic theme, especially for operators.
2. There are only 750 units. No more are coming down the road, unlike other companies who can/want to continuously produce them with demand. (i.e. WOZ)

Stern vaults as well don’t forget.

#215 4 years ago

Nooooo, thread with the most responses out of all I've started, don't die!

Especially since we haven't heard from everyone who didn't buy a Rick and Morty, not by a long shot!

Just kidding, y'all, but I was happy to deflect some of the negativity out of the main thread.

Now to kick back and bide my time, happy enough being in the first 40%!

#216 4 years ago

I think its Fugly!
There
Said it!

#217 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Nooooo, thread with the most responses out of all I've started, don't die!
Especially since we haven't heard from everyone who didn't buy a Rick and Morty, not by a long shot!
Just kidding, y'all, but I was happy to deflect some of the negativity out of the main thread.
Now to kick back and bide my time, happy enough being in the first 40%!

Lemme help.

456A38EC-B39B-4906-BAA2-CAB872B51D3E.gif456A38EC-B39B-4906-BAA2-CAB872B51D3E.gif
1 week later
#218 4 years ago

The playfield sucks and doesn’t match the series

#219 4 years ago

Where is the "My wife wouldn't let me" option?

#220 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipnaught:

There's one I hadn't considered.

#221 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphcousman:

The playfield sucks and doesn’t match the series

I'm curious to your reasoning there. I do think it matches the series...

#222 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipnaught:

I'm in the opposite boat. My wife recently got hooked on the series, so I might have to free up space & cash for one.

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm curious to your reasoning there. I do think it matches the series...

The artist that did the playfield is not the main artist for the show. From his website a lot of the art work is very pastel and “trippy” which is ok but to say the playfield color palette matches the series is laughable. Should have went with another artist. The playfield is freaking pink and yellow. And it’s just characters thrown about and stuff from the title sequence. No depth to knowledge of the series shown in the artwork. Big disconnect.

I have a rick and morty tattoo! Wanted this machine sooo bad but that playfield art will never be in my lineup.

#224 4 years ago

The artist that did the playfield is not the main artist for the show. From his website a lot of the art work is very pastel and “trippy” which is ok but to say the playfield color palette matches the series is laughable. Should have went with another artist. The playfield is freaking pink and yellow. And it’s just characters thrown about and stuff from the title sequence. No depth to knowledge of the series shown in the artwork. Big disconnect.
I have a rick and morty tattoo! Wanted this machine sooo bad but that playfield art will never be in my lineup.

Interesting. Seems really odd they didn't go with the show artist (money I suppose), but you would have thought they'd be using soley assets from the show. The cab art seems pretty spot on though.

#225 4 years ago

That makes a lot of sense.

#226 4 years ago

I have a rick and morty tattoo!

Was it done by the Original Artist?

#227 4 years ago

What's the name of the artist and his website?

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipnaught:

Right beside the "I lost my balls" option.

#229 4 years ago

I have two friends with ACNC and keep up on the owner thread. Nothing but constant problems on that game.....I wouldn’t buy anything from Spooky until I see they make that game work right. Memory leaks causing game resets, balls always stuck, etc.

No way.

#230 4 years ago

It’s kinda funny. In Spooky’s last podcast they actually talked about people coming up to them and saying their pins suck (well, if they would). Can’t please everyone. I guess Spooky doesn’t need to worry about it...they sold out...in 4 hours...but yah, they suck.

#231 4 years ago

I am an operator and tried a couple games from Spooky in my arcade. The build quality is just not there yet to support heavy usage on route. They had constant issues. Hopefully soon. Spooky makes beautiful games with great artwork and decent game play. Unfortunately that is not enough for what I need it to be.
I also bought a ACNC and after receiving it the game restarted itself after every 5th game or so. Boom. Just like that. Over and over. I contacted Spooky about it and they told me right away that they know about this issue and that they are working on a solution. Well, that was almost 3 months ago and nobody has contacted me yet. They could have let me know that they are aware of this issue prior to shipping this game to me and at least ask me if I am ok with getting a game that restarts itself every 2nd game and sometimes during game play, right? I mean, the game is pretty useless to me as an operator if it's not working right. Pretty shitty if you ask me.
R+M looks good and I will probably have one soon but it will not be a NIB. I think that R+M will be on the secondary market for mid to low 5k in about 6 months just like any other Spooky game.

#232 4 years ago

I absolutely love my TNA and Spooky as a company, but I'm just not a big enough fan of Rick and Morty to want a pin themed after the show. That and I can't justify buying a game without playing it, 30 seconds of footage isn't enough to convince me to drop that wad of cash.

#233 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Was it done by the Original Artist?

There is a difference between an artist interpretation and keeping true to the original artist work.

In the case of my tattoo while it is not by the original artist my artist stayed true to the original without putting his touch on rick and morty.

The artist that did the playfield put in his interpretation , color palate is the easiest to see. if you look at his website that’s what he does and I think it shouldn’t have been applied here in this application.

#234 4 years ago
Quoted from heryworm:

I am an operator and tried a couple games from Spooky in my arcade. The build quality is just not there yet to support heavy usage on route. They had constant issues. Hopefully soon. Spooky makes beautiful games with great artwork and decent game play. Unfortunately that is not enough for what I need it to be.
I also bought a ACNC and after receiving it the game restarted itself after every 5th game or so. Boom. Just like that. Over and over. I contacted Spooky about it and they told me right away that they know about this issue and that they are working on a solution. Well, that was almost 3 months ago and nobody has contacted me yet. They could have let me know that they are aware of this issue prior to shipping this game to me and at least ask me if I am ok with getting a game that restarts itself every 2nd game and sometimes during game play, right? I mean, the game is pretty useless to me as an operator if it's not working right. Pretty shitty if you ask me.
R+M looks good and I will probably have one soon but it will not be a NIB. I think that R+M will be on the secondary market for mid to low 5k in about 6 months just like any other Spooky game.

I must have “missed” and update or something because i have seen other games having that issue. I hope you and the others get the fix soon. If we don’t see anything in the next month or so i will be suprised.

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

What's the name of the artist and his website?

Josh freydkis

https://joshfreydkis.com/Rick-Morty

#236 4 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Because I prefer to let the rest of you pre-order, then whine when it shows up and it's broke/unfinished/playfield pooling/bad clear chipping/code not supported/ every other reason people complain on here. Then..sit back, and laugh when you do it with the next release all over again. Boggles my mind y'all still buy pins sight unseen and uncompleted.

There are a lot of reasons to buy a pin sight unseen.
1) You have enough money that 8-10k is just chump change
2) The video reveal revealed enough to get you excited
3) You know based on the theme or reveal that it will be a hit - possibly sell out
4) You plan on flipping the pin and know you can make 15-20% easily.

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from heryworm:

I have 3 Spooky pins and they work perfectly. But then again, I’m a collector, so games don’t get heavy play.

#238 4 years ago

I'm a baller on a budget so having a grand tied up for a year + and nothing to show for it was a huge turn off for me... that and the fact that I was in an important meeting that day and was hoping to make my decision at the end of the day.. I honestly didn't think it would sell out day one. Oh well, my plan now is to buy a JP premium and play that for a year or so and then try to trade for a rick and morty once the hype dies down

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

plan now is to buy a JP premium

I have heard there might be one of these on location in VT in a couple months....

#240 4 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

I have heard there might be one of these on location in VT in a couple months....

well that might change up my next purchase lol....

#241 4 years ago
Quoted from heryworm:

To me this is the number one reason; reading about this and some other unresolved issues (like the callouts) for ACNC made jumping on Rick and Morty a no go for me. I don't expect every game to ship flawlessly out of the box but for them to be in that state still hurts.

I have also been around long enough to see the hype cycle with these things. First the initial excitement, then the relentless memeing mixed with people getting hyped and patting each other on the back for getting a game number assigned to them, followed by months of speculation and frustration, followed by initial shipments with some disappointments here and there, followed by people selling their spots "for personal reasons".

#242 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

To me this is the number one reason; reading about this and some other unresolved issues (like the callouts) for ACNC made jumping on Rick and Morty a no go for me. I don't expect every game to ship flawlessly out of the box but for them to be in that state still hurts.

I have also been around long enough to see the hype cycle with these things. First the initial excitement, then the relentless memeing mixed with people getting hyped and patting each other on the back for getting a game number assigned to them, followed by months of speculation and frustration, followed by initial shipments with some disappointments here and there, followed by people selling their spots "for personal reasons".

Smart thinking. Something many guys around here lack when it comes to dropping $7000+ on a game.

#243 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I have two friends with ACNC and keep up on the owner thread. Nothing but constant problems on that game.....I wouldn’t buy anything from Spooky until I see they make that game work right. Memory leaks causing game resets, balls always stuck, etc.
No way.

Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Just a clarification on this. The memory leak is not a Multimorphic P3-ROC issue. It is a software issue on the PC. This issue is being worked on for ACNC as we speak (I have seen the new code) and this has been proactively addressed for R&M and will not be an issue there. The reason we put a larger computer in it was to handle the vast amounts of HD video that are going in this thing. We wanted more RAM, more CPU, and a better video processor. The PC that we are using is also made from off the shelf parts, which I am a huge advocate of.
--Scott

#244 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Smart thinking. Something many guys around here lack when it comes to dropping $7000+ on a game.

We're putting a small down-payment down on a toy, not donating a kidney. I'm taking an educated gamble that the game will be a lot of fun based on the theme and the team involved, but if it doesn't live up to my expectations I'll take my lumps and sell it. I'm not going to lose a wink of sleep worrying about whether I made a "smart" decision or not.

#245 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

We're putting a small down-payment down on a toy, not donating a kidney. I'm taking an educated gamble that the game will be a lot of fun based on the theme and the team involved, but if it doesn't live up to my expectations I'll take my lumps and sell it. I'm not going to lose a wink of sleep worrying about whether I made a "smart" decision or not.

Yup. That is fine. This is the "why did you not do this" thread. I don't think many people in this thread think jumping on this pin is stupid.

There are valid reasons to jump onboard and valid reasons to chill out.

If you were expecting this thread to purely be posts validating your choice I don't know what to say.

#246 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

We're putting a small down-payment down on a toy, not donating a kidney. I'm taking an educated gamble that the game will be a lot of fun based on the theme and the team involved, but if it doesn't live BB up to my expectations I'll take my lumps and sell it. I'm not going to lose a wink of sleep worrying about whether I made a "smart" decision or not.

You’re in the wrong thread.

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yup. That is fine. This is the "why did you not do this" thread. I don't think many people in this thread think jumping on this pin is stupid.
There are valid reasons to jump onboard and valid reasons to chill out.
If you were expecting this thread to purely be posts validating your choice I don't know what to say.

PoMC inferred that we're stupid for dropping $7K on a game. That's the only reason I responded. This isn't the "Why are people stupid for buying a Toy" thread. I certainly wouldn't call someone that didn't buy the game stupid in the main R&M thread. You can give your own reasons for not buying the game without insulting other people. I pass on buying 99% of NIB games and I don't feel the need to insult anyone for buying a toy that they want.

Quoted from PoMC:

#248 4 years ago

Spookys biggest asset are their people and customer service. They were responsive and did what they could regarding TNA pf issue. I root for them but am not blind.

At these new price points shipped (includes other manufacturers), I simply don’t see the value vs going HUO later.

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Why didn't you buy the hippest, hyped-est, most current pop culture themed game ever, Rick and Morty?
I'm asking those who didn't, please no "but I did" responses. Thus no corresponding poll choice.
You can choose more than one reason on the poll.

What are you, a survey company working for Spooky?
Add as an option: It’s none of your business.
Bullshit thread.

#250 4 years ago

When a company sells a new product when their prior product still has unresolved issues, and people flock to buy the new product....not smart thinking in my opinion. Didn’t call anyone stupid. Do what you want with your money.

I recently bought a new laptop and did lots of research. I steered clear of some models because I saw there were unresolved issues with a prior model and it wasn’t yet clear if the newer models were affected or not. I’m not looking for trouble with a purchase whether it’s $7, $70, $700 and especially $7000.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 300.00
$ 13,500.00
Trade
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-didn-t-you-buy-a-rick-and-morty-/page/5?hl=heryworm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.