• Late to party, didn't want to wait a year or more 34 votes
    4%
  • Saving $ for another upcoming title 57 votes
    7%
  • NIB is beyond current means 64 votes
    7%
  • Other reason (please elaborate!) 58 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 875 votes by 675 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture2 (resized).png
outta-here (resized).png
SnapOnTheMap.png
bw2 (resized).png
bw1 (resized).jpg
634CB992-B1EB-4422-99D5-094F7F4B4AB9 (resized).jpeg
docmart (resized).PNG
robin-williams-mork-and-mindy-vtr (resized).jpg
456A38EC-B39B-4906-BAA2-CAB872B51D3E.gif
bd9dbf116d0a874440f3fe081161d3c5 (resized).jpg
dd (resized).jpg
3jrtzr (resized).jpg
dd (resized).jpg
There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 4 years ago

I was thinking about the under playfield design and how inefficient it is. Instead of making a custom pcb for an area with a lot of leds like you see on any Stern, JJP, cgc, etc. Game, they reuse the same tiny single led board like 30 times. Why? It has to make assembly take longer. My guess is that they cut corners in development and figured it would be cheaper to reuse one board a bunch of times instead of developing custom boards. The more I look at this game the more it just looks cheap.

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I was thinking about the under playfield design and how inefficient it is. Instead of making a custom pcb for an area with a lot of leds like you see on any Stern, JJP, cgc, etc. Game, they reuse the same tiny single led board like 30 times. Why? It has to make assembly take longer. My guess is that they cut corners in development and figured it would be cheaper to reuse one board a bunch of times instead of developing custom boards. The more I look at this game the more it just looks cheap.

dd (resized).jpgdd (resized).jpg
#153 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

and cheaper and less impactful than replacing one of those stern nodes...but..sure..

#154 4 years ago

Playfield art just looks really "blah" to me...I can't quite figure it out. Whether it's the fonts, lack of gradients, or something else, it just doesn't do it for me. The mechs and layout is pretty ho-hum for me also. And lastly, the bigger the hype, the worse the hangover when it comes to pinball. The hype train with Munsters was pretty crazy, and then it went thud pretty hard.

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Or a broken spring.

Ouch, still too soon.

(you had to be there)

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great game but the price is creeping into the JJP LE territory.

I guess I just suck at math or something.

#157 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Ouch, still too soon.
(you had to be there)

lol

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

A heap of reasons:
1) Show doesn't do much for me
2) The entire rush to order without really seeing much felt, well, rushed
3) The game plus shipping + tax = really expensive
4) Don't want to lock up $1 to $1.5K for the next year +
5) Other titles that I'm interested in acquiring

#2 is biggest reason for me

Even though I got caught up in the Acnc delay last yr and that was aggravating I didn’t believe it would happen again

Not a fan of the artwork

I like everything else and congratulate Spooky for creating the best FOMO marketing campaign in history!

#159 4 years ago

For me personally here's why I didn't jump on this one:

- The theme does nothing for me but that only because I've never watched the show. I'm aware the it exists but that's the extent of it.

- My wife would absolutely hate this theme. Usually she's pretty neutral about themes but she hates animated shows (Family Guy, Simpsons etc).

- If I were going with NIB, I'd be looking at Oktoberfest (or maybe the next API release).

- Lately I've been regressing and have really been gravitating towards the older EM games. I'd rather have several of these than one Rick and Morty.

For anybody that's excited about the game and preordered it, I'm happy for you. I hope the game plays great and satisfies the fans of the show. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just answering the original post's question.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This is just flat out wrong.
How many games do they need to have on route and how many OPs need to tell you differently?
I can tell you I track all my time and where it goes. TNA has been the least effort to maintain for any new game in the past 24 months.
Easy to maintain, operator friendly for cleaning, best customer service, and best mech quality and of quality.
all the OPs I talk with (and we all talk to and help each other), TNA and ACNC have been great in route. Issues have always been very simple. Loose connector or a simple switch adjustment. Or a broken spring.
Almost 20% of all built TNAs are still on route. If they were having issues or not getting played then that would be different.

I disagree with 95 % of the substance that comes from Hilton. However, with operating pins and Bourbon he is credible. I’m aware of of other operators of Alice and TNA. No controversy of repairs than any other manufacturer had occasionally occurred.

This game will produce exceptional results in the cash box.

#161 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I guess I just suck at math or something.

No one is spending $6995 on this game.

#162 4 years ago

I joined the fang club thinking I would have more than a couple of hours to make my decision.

Guess I was wrong .

I really wanted this title since this is one of my favorite shows on tv.

I hope to purchase someone’s spot in line or pick up a used one someday.

It’s only pinball and I have 11 games that I love in my basement that is packed with no room for anything else anyway.

#163 4 years ago

When I got TNA and ACNC, I got in as soon as I could. But even in the mid 100's it's a long wait.
When I finally get to my turn to get the game I've been waiting for, I see that someone that just learned about the game's existence could just mosey over to kingpin and pick one up with ZERO wait.

So, I've learned from this: After I get to play the game and formulate an opinion, there will be several new shinny games released. Deposit payers will start to sell spots (probably at a discount to move it) as they chase the next stern.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

When Spooky posted the pic of the underside of Rick & Morty's playfield, my first thought was that it looked like an amateurish unkempt rat's nest, which really doesn't give me confidence in the rest of their build.

It's pre-production at this point. I'm sure a kempt rat's net is the last thing the are concerned about at this point. The final shipped product won't look like that. I have an Alice Cooper and most people who look under the hood comment how clean the Spooky design looks on that game.

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

my basement that is packed with no room for anything else anyway.

Also this.

#166 4 years ago

I'm near 50 yrs old. I dont watch cartoons anyone. Zero connection to the theme. But very happy for those who are in on this.

#167 4 years ago

i mean... if you need to make some room

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

IMO, it just seems much less impressive than ACNC. I remember seeing ACNC when it was revealed at TPF and I was blown away by it. This, not so much. I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great game but the price is creeping into the JJP LE territory. It's a little much for what you're getting here I believe.

Dude, I get it. The castle walls and the upper pf really add to ACNC and make it look fuller for sure. I love upper and lower pfs. They are just so fun when done right. ACNC is totally right. That ramp shot on the upper pf is so satisfying to hit but hard to get down.

I think the expansiveness of the RAM universe, the shots, rules, and media content of RAM will be great even without a second pf, a ton of sculpted toys, etc. The shots are all there. The physical locks, The loops, The captive ball, the fun effect with the portal warp, everything there is whats to love about good pinball.

You also have to think about how much AC license vs RAM license is as well.

Plus, scott put 16 opto pairs in this game that is nuts as well as rgb every where. Its like tna on steroids. Tna looks unimpressive until you play it. If you dont get it, then you arent a pinball fan as far as im concerned. TNA is fun, ACNC is fun. These are the games that are pushing spooky forward. I think the price point is still fantastic considering how small they are and how nice the games are built.

The ONLY reason I didnt buy a RAM was because my daughter said I couldnt sell the games I would have to to fund it. Luckily I got one for my bro in law so it will not be far away. Can not wait.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I'm near 50 yrs old. I dont watch cartoons anyone. Zero connection to the theme. But very happy for those who are in on this.

Im 42 and cant stand Family guy, simpsons ect. Rick and Morty is a very different show. The writing is fantastic. Once you get past the fact its a cartoon and understand what the show really is you become a fan. My brother told me the same thing your saying. He recommended a show to me and I told him I wouldn't watch his show unless he watched 4 episodes of Rick and Morty. He's now a bigger fan of Rick and Morty than I am.

#170 4 years ago

ACNC is definitely more dressed up with visual flair on the playfield, so I could see where some would say that game blew them away more on first sight. But most of that budget went into lights and mechs on this game. One if the first things Charlie says in the video is Scott blew his budget on lights. Anyone can dress up their games with mods after the fact and tons of people love doing that.
As for the individual light vs. PCB I'm glad I can replace one light that goes bad rather then repair or replace a whole custom made board. Noone gives you the old William's boards with individual sockets anymore.
They have used those single light boards since TNA and have had little to now issue with them that I've seen.

bd9dbf116d0a874440f3fe081161d3c5 (resized).jpgbd9dbf116d0a874440f3fe081161d3c5 (resized).jpg
#171 4 years ago

I was actually interested in picking one up, until I saw the cheap plastic ramps, and sparse playfield.

...the reason why I don't buy/like most Sterns.

The theme is amazing though. Props for choosing something that's not just pandering to old, tired fare like rock bands and superheroes...

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I'm near 50 yrs old. I dont watch cartoons anyone.

I didn't realize age was a deterrent to specific types of entertainment?

I suppose if you've already made the connection of "Cartoon" to "Immature", then one will never cross that threshold.

This show is not a kiddie show. That's why it's on at 11:30 PM. There is more adult humor in this program than any other cartoon show I've seen. They don't pander to younger audiences.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

No one is spending $6995 on this game.

Actually yeah, several people are. Is anyone spending $9,500 before tax & shipping? Because that's what a JJP LE costs.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Actually yeah, several people are. Is anyone spending $9,500 before tax & shipping? Because that's what a JJP LE costs.

I never said RAM's cost as much as a JJP LE though yancy. Why so defensive?

#175 4 years ago

Just watched available video of the release. Underwhelming, to say the least. Back glass looks cool, like a ripoff of Bally Star Jet without the nice colors. Didn't see 7000 dollars worth of fun. Didn't see a machine that will increase in value. Too long a wait time for these to get in the hands of Buyers, sure to take the wind out of excitement and hype.
Still better than Stern, the Spooky guy mentioned a improved computer running the thing.

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Dude, I get it. The castle walls and the upper pf really add to ACNC and make it look fuller for sure. I love upper and lower pfs. They are just so fun when done right. ACNC is totally right. That ramp shot on the upper pf is so satisfying to hit but hard to get down.
I think the expansiveness of the RAM universe, the shots, rules, and media content of RAM will be great even without a second pf, a ton of sculpted toys, etc. The shots are all there. The physical locks, The loops, The captive ball, the fun effect with the portal warp, everything there is whats to love about good pinball.
You also have to think about how much AC license vs RAM license is as well.
Plus, scott put 16 opto pairs in this game that is nuts as well as rgb every where. Its like tna on steroids. Tna looks unimpressive until you play it. If you dont get it, then you arent a pinball fan as far as im concerned. TNA is fun, ACNC is fun. These are the games that are pushing spooky forward. I think the price point is still fantastic considering how small they are and how nice the games are built.
The ONLY reason I didnt buy a RAM was because my daughter said I couldnt sell the games I would have to to fund it. Luckily I got one for my bro in law so it will not be far away. Can not wait.

I hear you. Spooky games are a lot of fun - I'm a fan! - and I agree with everything you're saying about TNA and ACNC. I own an AMH so I do see value in games beyond just aesthetic appeal. My first thought when I saw the playfield was that it looks like TNA with ramps. Obviously there's more to it than that. It looks like it could be fast and fun but no one really knows at this point. Although I'm confident it is, we can't just assume it's a good game, can we?

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I never said RAM's cost as much as a JJP LE though yancy.

Quoted from pipes:

I'm sure it'll turn out to be a great game but the price is creeping into the JJP LE territory.

#178 4 years ago

Thanks for proving my point yancy.

#179 4 years ago

Whatever, semantics dork.

#180 4 years ago

Semantics dorks are almost the worst, but Grammer Nazis still hold the title.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Semantics dorks are almost the worst, but Grammer Nazis still hold the title.

That's a trap!....although you said nothing about spelling Nazis.

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

That's a trap!....although you said nothing about spelling Nazis.

All those fucks are the same to me.

#183 4 years ago

I did join the FANG club a few weeks ago to support them anyhow

I don't get the purpose of this thread, they sold 750 games. No mas.

Who really cares why somebody didn't buy or not, its irrelevant.

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I did join the FANG club a few weeks ago to support them anyhow

That's true. Spooky certainly doesn't need to care at this point.

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im happy for those that are excited!
Unfortunately for me, I simply didnt find the playfield exciting enough, other then the Pop Bumper.
That simply meant, Ill wait to play it, before I would consider buying.
Regular stuff, just avoiding the hype and rush.

The playfield is deceiving. There is so much flow in this pin, with such a high number of combo shots chaining together. There is genius in the geometry.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

I think they hyped this game too much before reveal

da faq?

The game was announced -- when no one knew what it was
They show ONE trailer worth of teaser video
They open up sales... and all of this happens in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS

Where is all this hype?

#187 4 years ago

Yeah, all the hype was from the thronging masses, not from Spooky!

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Yeah, all the hype was from the thronging masses, not from Spooky!

Im fully thronged, spot on.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The playfield is deceiving. There is so much flow in this pin, with such a high number of combo shots chaining together. There is genius in the geometry.

Not here to disagree, until I play.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Just watched available video of the release. Underwhelming, to say the least. Back glass looks cool, like a ripoff of Bally Star Jet without the nice colors. Didn't see 7000 dollars worth of fun. Didn't see a machine that will increase in value. Too long a wait time for these to get in the hands of Buyers, sure to take the wind out of excitement and hype.
Still better than Stern, the Spooky guy mentioned a improved computer running the thing.

Why would a pin have to increase in value to buy it? Is that why you’d buy a pin?
I buy shit for fun factor and entertainment, isn’t that what the hobby is about?

#191 4 years ago

Congrats to Spooky. I think they announced 750 because the last game was 500, so add 250 opposed to 500. Testing the waters go into the middle of the water and see what happens. Personally I think they should bump up the number if the demand is there why not? With more orders at a higher price point they could hire more staff and build more machines. The entire pin is good news for Spooky because it could help them grow a little faster. I personally think they should take this time to think about building up their staff, investing back into the company. Time to make a move.

I personally didn't buy one because as the designer said 'theme matters'. I'm have never watched Rick and Morty cartoon. Furthermore I'm not a fan of Stranger Things either I think the show is weak at best. Theme matters. I think Spooky did a great job pulling off the theme, but I want games where the theme resonates with me. So I didn't buy one because I'm not a fan of the theme nothing other than that. I'm hoping down the road Spooky does "Halloween' 'Friday the 13th" or something along those lines.

Again congrats to Spooky and I hope they hike the number, make more money, and invest in their company to grow a bit faster.

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That's like saying if the moon gets hit with 4000 more asteroids, it will even out.

LOL - seriously a knock out punch right there. Well done sir.
I mean no disrespect here, but as a HUGE RAM fan I felt completely underwhelmed. Yeah yeah I know it's just a video, but even a video gives a person somewhat of an idea of game play not to mention even the playfield artwork is lackluster. I just couldn't help but feel like this machine is more of a novelty pin.
I would gladly play it if I saw it in the wild - but not likely to happen.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

LOL - seriously a knock out punch right there. Well done sir.
I mean no disrespect here, but as a HUGE RAM fan I felt completely underwhelmed. Yeah yeah I know it's just a video, but even a video gives a person somewhat of an idea of game play not to mention even the playfield artwork is lackluster. I just couldn't help but feel like this machine is more of a novelty pin.
I would gladly play it if I saw it in the wild - but not likely to happen.

I love the artwork and its a cool theme, but the playfield seemed like a snoozefest to me. Gimme toys man, toys!

The cynical side of me said they put a simple and lower cost layout on this pin because they knew the theme would make it instantly sell out regardless of the playfield. Heck, even some data east layouts look cooler (Last Action Hero im looking at you!).

The super cynical side of me wondered if they had a better playfield layout ready to go and saved it for a weaker theme. There, i said it!

#194 4 years ago

For those of you complaining about a lack of toys, have you ever played Scott Danesi's first game TNA? He's not known for filling a game with lots of toys. Compared to RaM, TNA is really stripped down yet it manages to be fun as hell to play and had probably the best sound and light show of any pin! RaM has even more lights and also features Scott Danesi music but now you also add ramps, a magnet, an extra ball trough, captive ball lock, and an awesome theme with custom callouts to tie it all together! I do think that if you didn't care for TNA than this game may not be as appealing but I find that it's impressive that a Scott Danesi game sold out that quickly without showing any of what his first game is most loved for and that's the sound and light package and addictive game play.

#195 4 years ago

I think the playfield looks killer. I like the subtle starfield and don't think you could pull it off with a ton of artwork.

It's supposed to be space, yo.

Space is not crowded. Mind blowing, I know.

...but. That's kinda why we call it space.

#196 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Why didn't you buy the hippest, hyped-est, most current pop culture themed game ever, Rick and Morty? ...

Not in love with the theme ( have never watched the show) and I've never played, let alone, seen the actual game in person yet.

Plus ... I'm confident that there will be PLENTY of opportunities to take over another buyer's spot down the road if I should decide that I want to buy this game NIB.

#197 4 years ago

Lots of reasons form me - theme doesn't interest me, I am out of buying nib, price is too high (my acnc was just less than $500 cheaper than my DILE here in Europe - RaM is really expensive then for what it is hardware wise). Posted my opinion on my blog
http://flippersbe.blogspot.com/2019/12/spooky-released-rick-and-morty.html?m=1

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I think the playfield looks killer. I like the subtle starfield and don't think you could pull it off with a ton of artwork.
It's supposed to be space, yo.
Space is not crowded. Mind blowing, I know.
...but. That's kinda why we call it space.

Space is crowded in Rick and Morty though. You go out to change a tire and a space snake comes and bites you out of nowhere. Before you know it you have to invent time travel because space is literally filled with everything.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

People on a pinball forum shouldn't discuss why they like or dislike a certain machine because it sold?

Ok everyone, close up all the threads. We're done here. Remove the ratings too. They're irrelevant.

#200 4 years ago

If we're going to pretend I could afford it, there wasn't enough of the game shown before ordering for me to try and make it happen. I love the theme and hope maybe one day in the future I can buy a used one or I get a big raise or something maybe buy someone's spot in line. I've never owned a new in box pin, my newest game is like 27 years old :/

The potential 18 month wait is also a hard pill to swallow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

10,500 (OBO)
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 13,500.00
$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-didn-t-you-buy-a-rick-and-morty-/page/4?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.