• Late to party, didn't want to wait a year or more 34 votes
    4%
  • Saving $ for another upcoming title 57 votes
    7%
  • NIB is beyond current means 64 votes
    7%
  • Other reason (please elaborate!) 58 votes
    7%

(Multiple choice - 875 votes by 675 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture2 (resized).png
outta-here (resized).png
SnapOnTheMap.png
bw2 (resized).png
bw1 (resized).jpg
634CB992-B1EB-4422-99D5-094F7F4B4AB9 (resized).jpeg
docmart (resized).PNG
robin-williams-mork-and-mindy-vtr (resized).jpg
456A38EC-B39B-4906-BAA2-CAB872B51D3E.gif
bd9dbf116d0a874440f3fe081161d3c5 (resized).jpg
dd (resized).jpg
3jrtzr (resized).jpg
dd (resized).jpg

There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 4 years ago

Why didn't you buy the hippest, hyped-est, most current pop culture themed game ever, Rick and Morty?

I'm asking those who didn't, please no "but I did" responses. Thus no corresponding poll choice.

You can choose more than one reason on the poll.

#2 4 years ago

But I did!

#4 4 years ago

I might be interested in getting it someday, but honestly I just wasn't that amazed by the design, at least as seen in the reveal video.

#5 4 years ago

Buying NIB is the purview of the insane I've yet to take leave of my senses.

I'm getting older though so it could be right around the corner!

#6 4 years ago

Im happy for those that are excited!

Unfortunately for me, I simply didnt find the playfield exciting enough, other then the Pop Bumper.

That simply meant, Ill wait to play it, before I would consider buying.
Regular stuff, just avoiding the hype and rush.

#7 4 years ago

I voted for "other reason" and that is because ive never even heard of Rick and Morty before..

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I voted for "other reason" and that is because ive never even heard of Rick and Morty before..

I guess the poll results are invalid now.

#9 4 years ago

I'm on vacation this week. Spooky sold out before I had a chance to place an order for one.
I phoned and left messages at three distributors looking for one but received no calls back.
I'll take any help I can get if someone knows how I can get on the order list.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Unfortunately for me, I simply didnt find the playfield exciting enough, other then the Pop Bumper.

I love Spooky but this is well said.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I agree with this also.

#12 4 years ago

I’m not Rick and Morty “woke,” but I agree, the playfield didn’t look too exciting in the teaser vid.

#13 4 years ago

Because I prefer to let the rest of you pre-order, then whine when it shows up and it's broke/unfinished/playfield pooling/bad clear chipping/code not supported/ every other reason people complain on here. Then..sit back, and laugh when you do it with the next release all over again. Boggles my mind y'all still buy pins sight unseen and uncompleted.

#14 4 years ago

I must be missing something. I went to the Spooky website and see nothing for sale regarding Rick and Morty. I suppose I didn't buy one because I didn't know how to buy one.

#15 4 years ago

1 Magnet 1 Pop 1 Sling

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Because I prefer to let the rest of you pre-order, then whine when it shows up and it's broke/unfinished/playfield pooling/bad clear chipping/code not supported/ every other reason people complain on here. Then..sit back, and laugh when you do it with the next release all over again. Boggles my mind y'all still buy pins sight unseen and uncompleted.

popcorn ready!

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

This isn’t a Stern game.

#18 4 years ago

Rick and morty... too grotesque for my family.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Apparently you’re not keeping up with TNA, Danesi is still keeping up with the code and the community with that game. I have no doubt that he will do the same with this game.

The physical problems will always be there regardless.

#20 4 years ago

Somebody will want out eventually anyways. There will be opportunities to get a NIB at some point within the next 18 months. By that time you'll be able to at least see some gameplay to make a more informed decision. The idea of being a guinea pig on an early run of a game is not appealing to me either.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Buying NIB is the purview of the insane I've yet to take leave of my senses.
I'm getting older though so it could be right around the corner!

Disagree 100%
Maybe insane for you, but how is it insane for someone else?

I understand some of the complaints about the PF - possibly valid but undetermined until played.
I thought the same thing about TNA until I played it. I really like that pin.

#22 4 years ago

Those 7 segment led displays in the playfield are super cheap and easy to drive. For $7000 why not put an lcd into the playfield? I've used and programmed 7 segment led displays for a number of things and when I saw two of those in the playfield I really got the impression that the game was working with a small budget.

#23 4 years ago

No one has bought a Rick and Morty yet. They have placed a deposit on a machine. If history is any indication some of these people will get tired of waiting or pee their pants over a future title and want out, etc, etc, etc. Maybe they can sell their spot at the time for what they have in it, maybe not (as in ACNC).

I don’t put money down on a game I haven’t even seen being played yet. But hey, YMMV.

#24 4 years ago

Because when I hand over money from one hand I expect something to be placed in the other.

I don't pay for air...

#25 4 years ago

The price was just too high for me to pull the trigger on a 1 min video. I also found the call outs to be grating in the video and as much as I love the show I'm not sure how much constant rick and morty speech I can handle. It just wasn't a homerun. I guarantee with the level of FOMO this launch released there will be plenty of people unloading their preorder spots. I don't think people always understand how long 18 months is and will get impatient. If the game turns out great maybe I'll grab one. If not no big deal. It's just pinball. It doesn't really matter.

#26 4 years ago

This game is not for my generation, let the 20-somethings have their fun. Besides, doesn't it take Spooky forever to ship? Did all the Alice Coopers get to Buyers yet?

#27 4 years ago

I'm sure the game is great, but there wasn't enough revealed to justify the cost of admission for me.

#28 4 years ago

I prefer to wait until the hype reaches it's absolute peak and buy one at the scalper inflated price. Once hype settles down I will dump it for a huge loss. Isn't that what you are supposed to do?

#29 4 years ago

Other - I'm broke.

#30 4 years ago

Rick and Morty Voices are annoying as hell... everytime I hear them speak I flash back to watching the dubbed youtube video of Rick and Morty reading the transcript of the judge and convict going back and forth with each other, which is freaking halirious however.

#31 4 years ago

Other....I fucked up and didn't order when I had the chance. Wanted to get another look and it, and honestly I am on the fence about funds for pins at this point. Maybe I can get a used one later on. But it certainly is looking like another TRON LE to me (just happened much quicker). I have a feeling they won't be easy to get used - or below NIB pricing.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

I bought ACNC sight unseen and have yet to regret it. Also the PF clear coat from Spooky is like glass with no pooling or other issues.

#33 4 years ago

Looks like a great pin, unfortunately I don’t have the funds and I’d also like to play it first before I buy.

#34 4 years ago

I wanted to vote twice: Who is Rick and Morty and not crazy about Spooky games. I have played all the prior released Spooky games and none of them have impressed me.

#35 4 years ago

I'm excited for this game but I did not buy because I figure I will be able to buy a used one in the future.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I wanted to vote twice: Who is Rick and Morty and not crazy about Spooky games. I have played all the prior released Spooky games and none of them have impressed me.

dd (resized).jpgdd (resized).jpg
#37 4 years ago

A heap of reasons:

1) Show doesn't do much for me
2) The entire rush to order without really seeing much felt, well, rushed
3) The game plus shipping + tax = really expensive
4) Don't want to lock up $1 to $1.5K for the next year +
5) Other titles that I'm interested in acquiring

#38 4 years ago

Probably unpopular opinion but it is a spooky game, didn't care for amh or Alice Cooper. I hear tna is great but haven't played it. The games just felt clunky and like they were thrown together (poorly) in a garage.

I'd like to revisit them and see if my opinion has changed at all.

#39 4 years ago

I tried watching several episodes of Rick and Morty, but could never really get into the show. The other reason is the pricing of these new machines from every manufacturer are way too high for me.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Probably unpopular opinion but it is a spooky game, didn't care for amh or Alice Cooper. I hear tna is great but haven't played it. The games just felt clunky and like they were thrown together (poorly) in a garage.
I'd like to revisit them and see if my opinion has changed at all.

ACNC is a legit build

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

ACNC is a legit buildI agree but I have played ACNC at three different pinball shows and the game was always breaking down.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

This game is not for my generation, let the 20-somethings have their fun. Besides, doesn't it take Spooky forever to ship? Did all the Alice Coopers get to Buyers yet?

What's your generation?
I'm 51 and bought one - love the show

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

What's your generation?
I'm 51 and bought one - love the show

I am in my 50's and I have never heard of this show. I tried watching an episode a few days ago and it did nothing for me.

#44 4 years ago

I want to play it or at least see gameplay before any commitment. That and id rather just wait till next fall when people are fatigued on waiting and spots are selling for $500 or less.

#45 4 years ago

Bacause I stayed up all night watching Rick and Morty and missed the sale.

#46 4 years ago

I'm 58 and love the show, guess I'm young at heart. One of the few shows I can bond with my 17yo daughter over.

Another one was Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Hey, that would be a great pin, too!

#47 4 years ago

I don't like to pick apart a game that practically nobody has seen or played in person. It was hard for me to pass on this one being a huge Rick & Morty fan, but I honestly was a little underwhelmed with what I saw. Since this is a dream theme for me, I had a lot of expectations. I'm just expressing what my first thoughts were.

With Justin Roiland on board, I thought anything was possible. A custom crazy Rick & Morty pinball adventure, with the player helping R&M advance through goals during the game to reach the final wizard mode to find the "Pinball of Truth" or something. The use of countless characters throughout the modes & adventures on the way to the final goal. Something like that. What I saw was a standard game... various modes based on episodes, show clips recycled on the LCD, shoot the lit arrows, etc etc. Questioned the ship on a spring & the choice of putting a big Smith house in the back. Plus how can there be no green spinning portal somewhere on the playfield or backglass? I will say that the layout is somewhat unique tho. I love the lightshow, the Danesi lock loop, the pop bumper sling, the unique captive ball, etc. Could be really fun & satisfying when it's completed.

I was disappointed in the artwork as well. It's all so focused on basic things (like the hand, the equation, the eyeball, the Cthulu monster) from the intro of the show. The lightning everywhere. I don't know. Who was the artist that did the game? I was thinking of something like the Smith living room in the "Total Rickall" episode. Colorful characters everywhere, or at least on the cabinet art.

The biggest problem for me was for all the extras & add-ons I knew I was going to have to get, it was going to run me close to $8500.....for I game I've never even played. That's nuts to me. I also didn't like having to make a $8000K+ decision within 12 hours based on a 60 second teaser video. Sometime common sense has to prevail over FOMO.

There will be plenty of opportunities to buy someone's spot. Happened countless times during the wait for TNA. People are impatient & have short attention spans as well. As soon as Deeproot/Stern/etc start shipping their new titles in 2020, people will be looking to sell their spots.

I survived not purchasing my #1 theme Star Wars. I will survive not buying my #2 theme Rick & Morty. It's ok & I hope it turns out to be an awesome title. If so, I might jump in & buy someone's spot in 6 months. Have to wait & see. I wish Spooky all the best tho!

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

So vote twice! It's open for multiple responses.

#49 4 years ago

I think they hyped this game too much before reveal. I thought a lot about what it could be, then when I saw what it was, I was disappointed. Having a huge section of the playfield be the house just seems like a waste of space to me, and the off-the-shelf ship on a spring in front of it... You know I was wondering if I made a mistake not ordering one but the more I think about it the better I feel. Die hard fans will probably love it, but I keep thinking of missed opportunities based on the layout alone.

#50 4 years ago

Most of all I don't have a lot of experience with Spooky. I finally played AMH not long ago, played ACNC with sub early code, and also played RZ and didn't have a great time with any of them. I hole more promise for this one becasue form what I've played of TNA it was great, and luckily one just popped up near me so I'll be playing it more.

The look of this one didn't blow me away, but until I play one it's impossible to say. But not having that familiarity with them I couldn't do it, even though the fire sale thing had me itching to.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
There are 404 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-didn-t-you-buy-a-rick-and-morty- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.