Topic poll

“Why Did You Sell Your Alien?”

• Unreliable, Too Much Tweaking 12 votes
    29%
  • Gameplay Got Old Fairly Quickly 5 votes
    12%
  • Combo of Unreliable + Gameplay 10 votes
    24%
  • I had my fill after 50-100 games which is NORMAL for me on ANY title 2 votes
    5%
  • Other 13 votes
    31%

(Multiple choice - 42 votes by 38 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F151AC43-6D83-4F09-BCCC-6214194B977B (resized).png
001B93B4-3CEC-4930-9826-BAE5B28AB8F7 (resized).jpeg
FA0B9045-1DC1-4E0B-A222-C52603B39AEC (resized).jpeg
15F504CE-5240-4A5D-8F5A-9E905F74D3E4 (resized).jpeg
B671A407-602D-47AA-BF5E-CEB18B40F404 (resized).jpeg
5C053B2C-2478-4D6A-B911-661AA2D3A476 (resized).jpeg
3CA9EC7B-C75D-4CCD-849E-87445463BAB6 (resized).jpeg
47BCDA97-7EEB-474D-8B52-7C9C09AD5742 (resized).jpeg
721ac8459c52f06f4bc957896c4e0e7e36c6390c (resized).jpg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Loved mine for the brief period I had it. I sold it because I didn't feel comfortable troubleshooting all the software issues. Plus I want to put games on location, and I don't think the game would do well in that environment.

Quoted from Crile1:

I had a standard PB alien. Sold it because I was constantly adjusting and fixing it. PB support was great. But I was constantly working with them on issues. New issues appeared almost weekly. Was just exhausting. And when it worked it was fun, but got old, quick.

Thanks for these.

For people that say PB support is great:

How long can PB keep supporting the title? Does this excellent support apply to the 3rd, 4th, 5th owner? Are they supportive but you're still paying out of pocket for parts they are shipping or what?

#52 1 year ago

In my opinion...2nd owner on should be paying for things in the main.

#53 1 year ago

Dream theme.

I'm never selling.

B671A407-602D-47AA-BF5E-CEB18B40F404 (resized).jpegB671A407-602D-47AA-BF5E-CEB18B40F404 (resized).jpeg
#54 1 year ago

So this is my 2 sense.
I've owned this machine twice thus far.
1st time I've owned an early produced alien SV.
I had nothing but issues with it. Got tired of trouble shooting and ended up selling it at a huge loss (1500 if I remember correctly).
I played an lv earlier this year and imo shot completely different than the SV I owned. I think they may have changed the flipper mechs. I took the chance and bought a nib LV and I love mine. I've had some minor issues that I had to adjust (hyperlock needed some tweeking and a spring snapped on flipper).

Sound, theme integration are top notch. I wouldn't take too much stock in anyone who hasn't owned this game and only played it on location. This is a game that needs to be played in a home environment. Will need some tweeking (some more than others). I find that the code and shots are pretty satisfying. It's a wide body so it's a little floaty. I think the overall build quality is good (heavy as shit)

Alien is my second favorite franchise behind jurassic park and this game hits everything alien(s) that sadly stern jurassic park didn't. (Even with movie code)

I have a relative small collection typically stays between 4-5 games and I don't see my LV going anywhere anytime soon.

#55 1 year ago

I wish I could answer that as it would mean someone finally bought this snoozefest of a pin off me.

#56 1 year ago

Seems like every game I've been involved with has been pretty polarising so far.

I haven't gone off the idea of designing another widebody, but I wouldn't do it in this particular fashion again.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Seems like every game I've been involved with has been pretty polarising so far.
I haven't gone off the idea of designing another widebody, but I wouldn't do it in this particular fashion again.

James, the ramps and mechs on this game are bad ass

#58 1 year ago

So when I first played the game I hated it but there was something there that I thought this should be an ok game. The first game I played was a little bit clunky a little bit floaty and a bit of a drain monster. One came up at a good price so I took the plunge. There’s been a bit of tweaking and repair happening with the targets. The targets are chunk and weren’t soldered properly. I can see them all failing at some point in time. It took me about 30m to find the switch from the target in the cab because they’re both black asf. I also had a problem with the up posts in the back. A slight adjustment there and I’ve been ok otherwise.

The rules on this game are pretty straight forward. Complete modes fast for big points. Complete 4 modes for a mini wizard. Do it again for the other movie. Start all multiballs and complete 10 modes for all out war wizard mode which is pretty awesome. It’s like Jericho on iron man.

In my 9 pin collection it sits somewhere in the 3-7 range with twdle and tmntle sitting firmly in the 1 and 2 spots respectively. In the 3-7 spots also sit xmenle, deadpool and JP3. Just depends on how I’m feeling on the day.

#59 1 year ago

I have a later run LV and love it. I've also had minimal issues. Broken spring and I needed to adjust the hypersleep lock. I play the hell out of it and it's a permanent fixture in my gameroom.

Side note - the upgraded apron and beacon mods are a must. If you've played the game without those, you're missing out.

#60 1 year ago

I have a long and sordid history with Alien. I got one of the 1st available back in 2017 at TPF. It was plagued with issues. Eventually, Cointaker (great folks) replaced that early one with a more 'production ready' version.

I really enjoyed the game - it's one of the best sound packages out there IMHO (David Theal) and the code is good also (Ferret). The shots can be a bit clunky, but once you get into a groove it's a really fun game.

After Heighway imploded, values on Aliens were going up (before the overall prices increase in machines). I was worried that something would break, and I would not be able to get any replacement parts, etc - so I took advantage of the price increase and made a small profit on the sale.

If you have some spare time and want to read (and see pictures) form the entire ordeal - here ya go - enjoy!

http://www.bradberryman.com/Pinball_Alien_2018.html

EDIT: I also modified the ramp so the ball plunges to the pops rather than 'clunk' to the right flipper. I thought it should have been that way from the start.

#61 1 year ago

I have ZERO complaints with the layout of this game. One of the best IMO. If anyone plays any older B/W games, I don't see how they can't get this one down. Hypersleep lock is a hard one to hit, but I think it's supposed to be.

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

I wish I could answer that as it would mean someone finally bought this snoozefest of a pin off me.

lol

#63 1 year ago

Oh man, thanks for stopping by. Very curious what widebody DOs and DONT's you'd pass onto the next widebody project.

#64 1 year ago

I’ve owned an original for a couple of years without problems, some minor tweaks typical of pinball ownership. I really like the original cabinet, which feels somewhat like I’d imagine Nostromo heavy equipment-heavy and substantial, the large screen in the backbox, and the playfield screen. If you want an original, look for a later run LE, where problems had been largely sorted out. My boards have the Pinball Brothers logo. Had they kept the feel the same, I’d have sold my original for a remake, but this is a really fun and beautiful game either way. If I were new to Alien, I’d consider the remake LV for sure, with the hypersleep chamber ball lock and magnet that stops the ball for the left ramp shot. But overall prefer the original if dialed correctly.

001B93B4-3CEC-4930-9826-BAE5B28AB8F7 (resized).jpeg001B93B4-3CEC-4930-9826-BAE5B28AB8F7 (resized).jpeg15F504CE-5240-4A5D-8F5A-9E905F74D3E4 (resized).jpeg15F504CE-5240-4A5D-8F5A-9E905F74D3E4 (resized).jpegFA0B9045-1DC1-4E0B-A222-C52603B39AEC (resized).jpegFA0B9045-1DC1-4E0B-A222-C52603B39AEC (resized).jpeg

#65 1 year ago

I played one in Louisville Monday and Tuesday. It was a PB version, and I am seriously considering one. I had so much fun shooting it. My only concern is how deep the game is and if it would last in a small collection.

I kept coming back to it even though they had all the latest and greatest Stern and JJP games.

#66 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

I played one in Louisville Monday and Tuesday. It was a PB version, and I am seriously considering one. I had so much fun shooting it. My only concern is how deep the game is and if it would last in a small collection.
I kept coming back to it even though they had all the latest and greatest Stern and JJP games.

you have Alien and Aliens. Not gonna get too bored there.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

10 modes plus wizards and multiballs. Code is definitely not lacking. Black Knight SoR has less than half of that.

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

10 modes plus wizards and multiballs. Code is definitely not lacking. Black Knight SoR has less than half of that.

Yet somehow much more enjoyable to play

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I've owned both and like both and wouldn't agree. Also, it has nuance to the code but most people play it once and don't even adjust to the non-stern feel and shots. I haven't enjoyed a single JJP enough to have owned one but don't take every opportunity to call them all bad.

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Solidly disagree. Black Knight lasted all of about 3 months in my house. Good location game, but not for home by a long shot.

#71 1 year ago

Game rocks when it’s set up correctly and that means mostly jacking up the back legs and as is with a lot of pins needs to be dead level in back for the hypersleep shot to work properly .I did have a handful of issues but all was resolved at no cost to me by the best Customer Service team I’ve ever dealt with .We still have ours and have sold a DPprem ,RushLE and a METprem while this stayed .We go thru games in about a years time so nothing lasts forever in a small collection .It’s day will come but we’re still really enjoying it a ton .The apron mod is a must on this pin .

F151AC43-6D83-4F09-BCCC-6214194B977B (resized).pngF151AC43-6D83-4F09-BCCC-6214194B977B (resized).png
#72 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Black Knight lasted all of about 3 months in my house. Good location game, but not for home by a long shot.

Oh I agree.

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I found BKSoR such a grind! I had the Le and made the wizard mode once after that I sold it because I never wanted to grind through those same same modes ever again to get to a wizard mode that I choked on and was over in 40 seconds. But that’s another story. Alien on the other had super enjoy. Modes are hard and I rarely complete them. But getting to all out war is super satisfying and doesn’t feel like a grind

#74 1 year ago

OP here. Well, no one really talked me out of it.

Currently working on a Congo and if my wife still hates it after a flipper rebuild then I'll probably try to hawk it or trade it for an Alien.

Thanks for all your stories.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 299.99
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mckinney, TX
$ 12.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 160.00
$ 10,595.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 1,375.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 165.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-did-you-sell-your-alien/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.