• Latest reply 4 years ago by davijc02
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

283B22C2-330A-4B25-AE37-EF6FCF51956E (resized).jpeg
IMG_20180716_210153 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

The newest Stern game sure looks cool (Munsters).

But it may not be finished for a while (based on historical data).

I don’t want to sit on the NIB sidelines waiting to see how Munsters shakes out so maybe Maiden is in my future!

So to the previous owners & those about to be previous owners I ask “Why did you sell Maiden?”

(Playing in a home environment is so different than on location. Stern making multiple models also makes it hard to judge a game on route because it’s not apples to apples if you don’t have access to all tiers. This is why I’m asking you guys - the ones who play in a home environment)

#2 5 years ago

Picked up an LE NIB on speculation as I figured that I could easily sell it if I decided not to hang on to it. I was very tempted to open and keep it based on the gameplay, but in the end, the theme just never (and still hasn't) resonated with me.

In on, and plan to keep, Munsters though.

#3 5 years ago

I didn’t! It’s an incredible game. Munsters looks fun but isn’t gonna be in the same league long term in my opinion. If you aren’t a Maiden fan, and I’m not really, the music gets better as you play and integrates really well.

#4 5 years ago

Agree with dts above post. Not a big maiden music fan, but kinda liking them now. Great game, I'll never sell. Buy a pro. Plays faster, no issues, I was gonna trade up for a prem but after playing, pro was way funner

#5 5 years ago

Plus, munsters theme song would drive me to sell it after 1st hour of play. Music themed pins are the best if you have a short attention span like me

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I was gonna trade up for a prem but after playing, pro was way funner

And then you woke up!

#7 5 years ago

I got offered a ludicrous amount for it while on route

#8 5 years ago

Unless ur not a fan of the music and decided to give it a try and couldn't take it which is very understandable I don't know how anyone could sell it, especially if ur a Maiden fan. playing to The Trooper and Aces High is simply fantastic. I just want someone to get rid of the post Powerslave songs and replace them with tracks from Killers, or the 1st Album.

#9 5 years ago

music has to be somewhere in the top 1 reason!

#10 5 years ago

Who-dey, its the truth. Personal opinion. Pro is faster game, plus I'm not a fan of prem artwork. No biggie, jus my opinion. Both versions are great, I'd b happy with either

#11 5 years ago

Love Maiden, grew up listening to it.
But I found I always picked the same few songs and got tired of hearing them all the time.
Game plays great, but used the funds and space for other new titles.

#12 5 years ago

Still have mine i love the game as a tournament player it has a fantastic layout and rule set. I am also a big fan of iron maiden so i love the music and art.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Who-dey, its the truth. Personal opinion. Pro is faster game, plus I'm not a fan of prem artwork. No biggie, jus my opinion. Both versions are great, I'd b happy with either

I know, im just messing with you lol. I disagree with you on the pro being way funner but but if its more fun to you thats all that matters.

#14 5 years ago

Iron Maiden is probably one of the top 5 stern games of all time. Mine won’t be going anywhere.

Munsters is a theme for old people and doesn’t do anything for me. The code would have to amazing to even consider.

#15 5 years ago

Yup. They both great. If I bought prem 1st I'm sure I would love it too. Now back to sleep

#16 5 years ago

Mine won't be going anywhere soon as well. Great flow, artwork and music is great- (my kids we skeptical with the theme and tunes, but it sure grew on them fast and they love it). Deep ruleset which is good for the home environment. It is definitely Stern's best efforts. You can grab one now while Munsters is hot, if you don't like it, you could sell it and grab a Munsters after all possible kinks are worked out of it.

#17 5 years ago

I really haven’t seen many IMs for sale or that have sold. Mine is on the route, and I play 5-10 games every time I’m in that location, and I still don’t feel like I’ve got remotely close to seeing all the modes and features and I consider myself a fairly salty player. And in regards to the music and theme, I think that’s part of what keeps you going while playing. You feed off the energy of the music whether you want to admit it or not.

In re Munsters, I have to agree about the theme music driving me crazy. The only thing I’m hoping is it has a Dragula wizard mode that maxes out the volume with Rob Zombie Dragula.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Munsters is a theme for old people and doesn’t do anything for me. The code would have to amazing to even consider.

Yeah, I don't understand why everyone has been so anxious for Munsters... For quite awhile! I'll play it on location but unless it's absolutely amazing, doubt I'll be buying it.

#19 5 years ago

Will never sell Maiden, it’s easily becoming my favorite pin. We crank that bitch up and play for hours, such a bad ass pin!

#20 5 years ago

Never plan to give up my Maiden. Never listening to Maiden growing up I feel the music is made for the pin and not songs I’ve heard on the radio for years. I thought that was the reason I’d love AC/DC. Turns out I couldn’t stand AC/DC as a pin. I think for a Maiden music noobie I’m really digging it

#21 5 years ago

I have Iron Maiden Premium and it's one of the best Stern machines I've ever played. I will admit that I'm also a big IM fan so it's a perfect game for me. I have no plans to ever sell it.

Munsters is ok and I grew up watching it but the repeat music drove me nuts during the live stream. Game looks great though and I look forward to playing it.

#22 5 years ago

Yea, I guess I’m in the minority as I sold my Maiden....then realized the mistake I made, and bought another right back a month later its a fantastic game.

#23 5 years ago

I'll sell it at some point to fund more Stern purchases; Thsts just the way it works.

#24 5 years ago

I didn't... And the more I play this game and other new/modern games, the more I realize that Iron Maiden's code is really something special. I think its a very, very deep code, but also varied. Lots of MB and lots of different strategies you can employ. Also, you don't need to do modes to get points in this game. Some modern sterns are so geared towards modes, that its a punishment for not being in them, and quite frankly I don't like that.

I think hands down Iron Maiden is better than Deadpool and Star Wars... While I enjoy Star Wars... I hate the game code. Its too complex and I think it rewards players for picking the right choices/heros and other stuff, and not making shots or combos. Deadpool is just a meh game for me... Want to like it... Just can't get into it.
Same for all the other modern sterns from Game Of Thrones, Aerosmith(love the ball lock!!!), and Batman 66... Which I think batman 66 is too deep and too complex with the code... But, I'll forgive that, as the game has so many villains its insane, and its a blast to play... That game is truly for the home market and so I'll forgive that one.

Also, Maiden has a unique and fun layout. I'll be the first to admit however that I don't have as much real pin experience as most of the people on Pinside. I'm newish to the hobby, and slowly, but surely not only building up my collection, but also expanding the library of games I've actually played.

And Maiden to me has always remained a special pin. And I think it will always remain so.
Also I'm biased. My name is Diospinball. As in Ronnie James Dio... And so to me while Dio is number 1 metal singer ever, Iron Maiden is the number 1 band. Always will be for me.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I didn't... And the more I play this game and other new/modern games, the more I realize that Iron Maiden's code is really something special. I think its a very, very deep code, but also varied. Lots of MB and lots of different strategies you can employ. Also, you don't need to do modes to get points in this game. Some modern sterns are so geared towards modes, that its a punishment for not being in them, and quite frankly I don't like that.
I think hands down Iron Maiden is better than Deadpool and Star Wars... While I enjoy Star Wars... I hate the game code. Its too complex and I think it rewards players for picking the right choices/heros and other stuff, and not making shots or combos. Deadpool is just a meh game for me... Want to like it... Just can't get into it.
Same for all the other modern sterns from Game Of Thrones, Aerosmith(love the ball lock!!!), and Batman 66... Which I think batman 66 is too deep and too complex with the code... But, I'll forgive that, as the game has so many villains its insane, and its a blast to play... That game is truly for the home market and so I'll forgive that one.
Also, Maiden has a unique and fun layout. I'll be the first to admit however that I don't have as much real pin experience as most of the people on Pinside. I'm newish to the hobby, and slowly, but surely not only building up my collection, but also expanding the library of games I've actually played.
And Maiden to me has always remained a special pin. And I think it will always remain so.
Also I'm biased. My name is Diospinball. As in Ronnie James Dio... And so to me while Dio is number 1 metal singer ever, Iron Maiden is the number 1 band. Always will be for me.

RJD!!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#26 5 years ago

I sold my Iron Maiden.

Maiden Pro is the only game I ever bought at a pinball show. I loved it. Great code. Lots to do code-wise.

But it eventually turned into the same game over and over. I get pretty far as for the code is concerned, but then would hit a roadblock. Couldn't collect more than 5 tomb awards. Couldn't finish Mariner. EVER. Reached Midnight a bunch. Eventually it got old. No one else in the house played it. Why? Casual pinheads don't see anything to do. There's just loops everywhere and two ramps. You really need to be into code to understand it.

In a way it was like Spider-Man for me. I always liked playing it. Great sounds. Fast with flow. Great code. Cool stacking. All that is true, but no one else played it in the house (because there was nothing that you interacted with physically. MET had sparky, grave marker, hammer and snake. Family still misses that).

I will say that while I loved the game, the shots are REALLY forgiving overall, making it really playable. Almost TOO forgiving, though. I went to an AC/DC Luci Vault and holy hell, what a wake up call. You have to fight the ball and the machine to have a great game. Maiden is much more forgiving. NOT easier. Just shots are more forgiving. There's a difference.

#27 5 years ago

The title of this thread is why did you sell Maiden?

All of the owners coming out to defend their 'child'(Pinball machine), and want to say 'It's a keeper for me'. Well if you like it and are not selling or have not sold it yet, then why post? This is not why do you think Iron Maiden is the best thing since sliced bread thread, it is Why did you sell Maiden?

I am generally curious, because it does seem to have a high turn over rate compared to some other titles. The only thing that made me not buy one was the theme and music. I do think it would be great if Stern considered a retheme with the same layout. Wondering if people grew tired of theme or layout first?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

(because there was nothing that you interacted with physically. MET had sparky, grave marker, hammer and snake. Family still misses that)

Hmm, never thought about that. I love the game, I get to play it once a week on location. It's well-maintained and always updated and clean. I love the modes and multiballs, the shots are smooth, sound is amazing.

But you're right about interaction. Sparky, Grave, Hammer, Snake... all cool toys. All of those are cooler than anything on IM, which doesn't really have any toys to speak of.

Still love IM though. Rules are better. More adrenaline-rushing action. Love the music/sounds. When you get a great ball going, it's one of the best games on the planet.

But you make a great point...

#29 5 years ago

Mine will never leave my collection. It also plays all Megadeth songs

#30 5 years ago

I really liked Maiden when it first came out, but for some reason it got stale quick. The weird thing is I like all the component parts. Love the music, like the layout, rules, art, etc. I can't put my finger on why I don't want to play it more frequently, but it just doesn't earn my quarters as often as nearly anything else in the room.

I think the game hits a bit of a dead end after your first Trooper and Mummy multiball. They're very difficult to relight and a good one with a mode stacked on top can be hard to come back from. The emphasis on power ramps|spinners|etc is also boring. But these alone shouldn't be enough for me to play it as little as I do.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

All of the owners coming out to defend their 'child'(Pinball machine), and want to say 'It's a keeper for me'. Well if you like it and are not selling or have not sold it yet, then why post? This is not why do you think Iron Maiden is the best thing since sliced bread thread, it is Why did you sell Maiden?
I am generally curious, because it does seem to have a high turn over rate compared to some other titles. The only thing that made me not buy one was the theme and music. I do think it would be great if Stern considered a retheme with the same layout. Wondering if people grew tired of theme or layout first?

I’m with you on retheming, particularly if they brought back the original Archer concept Elwin started with. But having a counterpoint isn’t necessarily defensive. It’s providing a contrasting view to illuminate the OP’s question in a different way. This would be a really boring thread if everyone bashed on the machine and ignored the merits. There are reasons to buy most machines, and reasons to sell, unless you own a pinball museum or are an operator. When a game loses appeal and becomes dormant, when it isn’t played consistently, if it is too hard, if it is too easy, if the music is annoying, or amazing, if you want to swap machines, if it is too addictive, or not enough, if your wife hates it, or loves it, this is pretty much pinball. These variables apply to all machines. I may sell or trade mine this year simply because I’ve played it a lot and may want to mix it up in my small collection.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I posted directly to address my feelings about Munsters. I don't like Iron Maiden music but the game is great. I bought a GB and Deadpool and those are games that are ok at best in their current state. Iron Maiden is just an amazing game. I also don't see the reason for any of hype for Munsters. It looks like a retheme of ACDC. I guess I am was slowing down the hype machine and giving love to one that is actually already legit.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from FlashDaddy:

I think the game hits a bit of a dead end after your first Trooper and Mummy multiball. They're very difficult to relight and a good one with a mode stacked on top can be hard to come back from. The emphasis on power ramps|spinners|etc is also boring

You nailed my thoughts on the game as well.

Rob

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I sold my Iron Maiden.
Maiden Pro is the only game I ever bought at a pinball show. I loved it. Great code. Lots to do code-wise.
But it eventually turned into the same game over and over. I get pretty far as for the code is concerned, but then would hit a roadblock. Couldn't collect more than 5 tomb awards. Couldn't finish Mariner. EVER. Reached Midnight a bunch. Eventually it got old. No one else in the house played it. Why? Casual pinheads don't see anything to do. There's just loops everywhere and two ramps. You really need to be into code to understand it.
In a way it was like Spider-Man for me. I always liked playing it. Fast with flow. Great code. Cool stacking. All that is true, but no one else played it in the house (because there was nothing that you interacted with physically. MET had sparky, grave marker, hammer and snake. Family still misses that).
I will say that while I loved the game, the shots are REALLY forgiving overall, making it really playable. Almost TOO forgiving, though. I went to an AC/DC Luci Vault and holy hell, what a wake up call. You have to fight the ball and the machine to have a great game. Maiden is much more forgiving. NOT easier. Just shots are more forgiving. There's a difference.

I put mine up for sale and decided to sell Aerosmith instead. More into Aerosmith music, but IMDN is clearly the superior pinball machine.

I totally agree with you about Maiden being "TOO forgiving". Long ball times. I think it's one of the reasons folks love it so much compared to other Sterns (that are much more BRUTAL). Also, so many MB's. I like when MB's are rewarded based on great execution of the rules. Trooper MB is way too easy to get. Sure, I can change the defaults to make it more challenging, but I like to avoid fiddling with the default parameters. Kind of surprised Keith and team haven't dialed in the default settings to make it more challenging.

For now, it's staying, however I don't anticipate lasting for many years. It is a fast, flow fest that is a blast to shoot. Just wish is was less frantic. Not really a huge Maiden fan, but the music doesn't offend me and it works with the game overall.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I put mine up for sale and decided to sell Aerosmith instead. More into Aerosmith music, but IMDN is clearly the superior pinball machine.
I totally agree with you about Maiden being "TOO forgiving". Long ball times. I think it's one of the reasons folks love it so much compared to other Sterns (that are much more BRUTAL). Also, so many MB's. I like when MB's are rewarded based on great execution of the rules. Trooper MB is way too easy to get. Sure, I can change the defaults to make it more challenging, but I like to avoid fiddling with the default parameters. Kind of surprised Keith and team haven't dialed in the default settings to make it more challenging.
For now, it's staying, however I don't anticipate lasting for many years. It is a fast, flow fest that is a blast to shoot. Just wish is was less frantic. Not really a huge Maiden fan, but the music doesn't offend me and it works with the game overall.

Ball times are longer and it is more forgiving for sure.

That said, I haven't come close to starting the Beast and RTTH is like getting to Valinor so that won't happen for me.

The loops make the game for me as love trying to collect huge jackpots!

#36 5 years ago

I played the Maiden at INDISC and let me tell you it was FAAAAAR from forgiving. Watching the top players in the world give it hell made me realize I have a long way to go in perfecting the game

#37 5 years ago

I sell games all the time to fund other game buys, but IMDN seems to be a permanent keeper. It was my first true NIB purchase. Don't hate the band, but literally knew 0 of their songs. The game is based on their eddie character and done in an animated style that doesn't include band members faced plastered all over the artwork so imo it'll be far more timeless this way. Definitely has an original theme feel to me with the art, callouts and overall theming. It has some of the greatest strategy along with something like Metallica or TWD. All code masterpieces.

#38 5 years ago

I had the pro for a while and its a great player but we just cldnt love the theme .

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I played the Maiden at INDISC and let me tell you it was FAAAAAR from forgiving. Watching the top players in the world give it hell made me realize I have a long way to go in perfecting the game

This ^^ x100
I saw some of the stream of that IMDN and it looked brutal and fun!

It was part of the reason I sold IMDN the first time. But, this second go around I have it set up a bit more brutal (not as bad as INDISC) and the great thing about it being setup brutal is that there are tons of software settings that can be adjusted to compensate. Shorten ball times but still with options to get to the deeper modes. I’m right on the cusp of hard gameplay matching my software settings, but next time I find the game too easy or forgiving, I plan to make it harder physically with easier software settings.

Also, don’t know if it’s cause I like IMDN music, but the music isn’t as prominent on this game as a lot of other music pins as it’s a Legacy of the Beast theme. So the call outs and sounds really drive the game very well; the music is second hand and is still better than most a-typical pinball music.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But, this second go around I have it set up a bit more brutal (not as bad as INDISC) and the great thing about it being setup brutal is that there are tons of software settings that can be adjusted to compensate.

I agree. The problem is that the too often people that complain of a game as being too easy or "forgiving" has failed to set the game up to match their skill level, and they may have even made it easier. IMDN can be brutal, as we observed with the top players in last nights stream. If its too easy, open the outlanes or remove the posts altogether. Set all the settings to hard with an unforgiving tilt. Lets see you blow it up then.

#41 5 years ago

My pro was absolutely brutal... it was set up at 7-7.2 degrees..... other than that it was factory settings.

#42 5 years ago

Bought the Pro and sold it 6 weeks later so that I could make room for IMDNLE.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:Iron Maiden is probably one of the top 5 stern games of all time. Mine won’t be going anywhere.

Hey Now... I just think you called me old.

As a defense: Munsters first episode was in 1964, Iron Maiden was formed in 1975, only 11 years difference. So take that!

#44 5 years ago

Same reason I sell most pins - I play it a lot, but the family doesn’t. I didn’t get IMDN at first but I really like it now - just not more than most of the other games (I have a lot of
b/W games and so far they are keepers). But my son thinks it’s WAY too hard, and it clearly is for guests - and I can’t keep a space for a game where I’m the only one playing it. Dialed In is also in the same boat. Or maybe we’ll just move...

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

Hey Now... I just think you called me old.
As a defense: Munsters first episode was in 1964, Iron Maiden was formed in 1975, only 11 years difference. So take that!

My kids rock it to Kiss and Iron Maiden but they have no idea what the Munsters are. I guess that was more my point.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

RJD!!
[quoted image]

My only problem with your post is I can only upvote it one time. But, I'll give you the devil horns in honor of the man!

#47 5 years ago

Cheerleaders

Everywhere

As far as the eye can see

Where are the Maiden sellers?

When I bought TWD no one warned me the game would reset during Horde & it's insert wasn't programmed.

I felt slighted for sure.

Not looking to experience that again so I figured I could maybe PM the OP's of archived marketplace listings or start a thread instead.

So it sounds like the auto launch & 2 captive ball mechs are troubled.

Anything else not disclosed?

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Cheerleaders
Everywhere

When I bought TWD no one warned me the game would reset during Horde & it's insert wasn't programmed.
Not looking to experience that again so I figured I could maybe PM the OP's of archived marketplace listings or start a thread instead.

There’s nothing else wrong with the game - this is a normal 6-months-after-NIB selloff

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Cheerleaders
Everywhere

If you’re looking for software flaws; you’re not going to find many with Maiden. It’s pretty darn solid. I am a little disappointed with the latest 1.06 code and the new aces high start, but besides that there really aren’t many things to complain about with the code.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Yea, I guess I’m in the minority as I sold my Maiden....then realized the mistake I made, and bought another right back a month later its a fantastic game.

Ditto here - sold my LE, regretted it instantly, but didn't want to pull out on the new buyer. Luckily 2 weeks later another LE came up for the same price and bought it back.

This hobby seriously f*cks with your sanity and you do stuff you would never dream of doing in everyday life. But that's a topic for another thread.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
There are 142 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-did-you-sell-maiden?hl=mikeking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.