(Topic ID: 257659)

Why Did You Buy Rick & Morty Before Playing?

By BMore-Pinball

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by hawkmoon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Your Number 1 Reason For Buying This Game”

• Theme Alone 31 votes
    28%
  • Theme Integration 4 votes
    4%
  • Scott Danesi 40 votes
    36%
  • It's a Spooky Game 9 votes
    8%
  • Game Looks Fun 7 votes
    6%
  • It was just the time to get Schwifty 21 votes
    19%

(112 votes)

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Congrats to Spooky - I was one of the 750 that jumped on this game before playing and even seeing game play video.
I think there is a lot here that other manufacturers could learn.
So I am curious: Why did you jump on this game so quickly?

For me, here are my reasons
1. Love the Theme, it's one I have been waiting for
2. Theme integration: that fact the they have the voice actors doing custom speech is amazing and show clips
3. Danesi: I was so skeptical of TNA when it came out, until I played it. The game is so simple yet so fun!
4. Spooky: followed Chuck and Spooky since their first game. Always been impressed with Chuck's presence on Pinside and his willingness to explain things and help customers on this forum. He makes me feel good about buying a game from him.
5. Game looks like it's going to play well and be tons of fun!

#2 4 years ago

All of the above...... But maybe also because you didn't have a choice unless you wanted to wait for someone to sell a spot.

#3 4 years ago

Spooky. Scott. EP. Bowen.

Plus the theme. Even if I end up not liking the game there's a rabid fan base for R&M.

#4 4 years ago

Also, there is a lot of good will with Charlie. After all, nobody else will take care of Bryan Kelly.

#6 4 years ago

I love variety. The pins currently in my basement are all pins I cannot play locally (Whirlwind, Star Trek, The Next Generation, and White Water), I've rotated a few other games I can't play locally like Last Action Hero and DE Jurassic Park. I will likely never see a Rick and Morty in the wild. This will be the 6th game I've purchased that I have never played before. I figure if I don't like it, I could sell it pretty easily. I am also a big fan of this being a limited edition with no more games ever being built. Liking Rick and Morty also really helps. I like games with lots of toys on the playfield. I know this game doesn't have that, but I really enjoy putting cheesey little toys on my playfield. I had a lot of fun pimping out my Jurassic Park with toys from Target, and I'm sure I'll do the same with this. I also really like that I can put money down to reserve a game now, and then come up with the rest when mine is ready to ship. I can essentially keep playing my pins, then unload one to raise the other capital when the call comes. This is another pin upgrade and if I ever tire of my pin (which I'm sure I will eventually), I can trade it in for pretty much any other pin I want. Danesi has a good record of updating code over time, and I'm sure that the code is just getting started on this game and will improve over time. This means that I will get to feel like playing a new machine several times as new updates are made. I had this experience with the company Deadpool and it is awesome. Finally, and most people won't care, but Spooky Pinball is a little piece of Americana. It is a small manufacturer in a small Wisconsin town. They are essentially the type of company that made up the backbone of the American economy 100 years ago. I am glad that boutique companies can pop up and pursue their passion. That was a rambling answer, but this game fits about every check in my list of things I could want for my first NIB pinball purchase.

#7 4 years ago

Might want to add FOMO to the poll...

#8 4 years ago

I can't believe you forgot "FOMO" as an option... that may be 1/4 the sales right there.

Another quarter might be "I bought a spot to flip".

#9 4 years ago

All of the above

Design team (including Eric P as coder which is HUGE)
TNA is a top 5 all time game
First theme I have ever liked in past 5 plus years
Spooky is best pf and customer support in the industry
Real assets, integration
COMEDY

#10 4 years ago

'It's not Hot Wheels' should be another poll option.

#11 4 years ago

Please add “Because I couldn’t afford a Banzai Run”.

#12 4 years ago

Because nothing in pinball in more exciting and satisfying as buying something I won't have for many months. I'm addicted to it!

#13 4 years ago

Can’t pick more than one so I voted Scott Danesi but would also have voted Spooky game.

Honestly the theme is great and I’m loving that they can have the creator and voice actor involved. But I had honestly never heard of RM until last Friday. Just watched 5 episodes thus far. But I like it as a theme because of the comic science fiction elements.

Scott and Spooky (Charley) go together like peanut butter and jelly. I don’t know how one can be viewed without the other. Scott needed Spooky to believe in him and allow him to show his vision not some beancounter watered down version.

Throw in the new talent of Bowen and Eric (?) omg can it be possible maybe I’m throwing too much credit too soon but this could be an epic code game too.

Plus Spooky adds the little details like the sound system, Scott the music and just a bit different like one pop bumper in place of sling. Hopefully that will work well.

Honestly was not going to order until I saw Charley with his overview video and how excited he was just got me excited as well.

#14 4 years ago

As strong as the hype on this game got many thought they were going to miss out. Time will tell if it lives up to the hype or not. Really shows how powerful the right theme can do for a pinball company.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

As strong as the hype on this game got many thought they were going to miss out. Time will tell if it lives up to the hype or not. Really shows how powerful the right theme can do for a pinball company.

Yup; when people cluelessly ask "why are there not more original themes" people can point to the R&M hype as a textbook example of why "good" licenses sell games.

#16 4 years ago

I agree with the OP's points: theme, team, and scene in the game, all look like a full cylinder dream

But subjectively someone might say those about any given game. There've been games I've considered but "rationality" always won out to where I've never bought NIB, let alone before playing the game. What pushed me over the edge this time?

I've been listening to the Spooky Podcast for only the last 18 months or so... and have come to greatly admire and appreciate the philosophy and approach of Charlie and the entire team. It's going to sound so hokey to say this but they way they seem to run their company and take care of their employees and community - and customers by extension - is the way I think we all wish that all businesses would operate. I think that should be celebrated and respected!

More selfishly, a NIB is a bit of a stretch but I feel confident that this particular machine - due to the factors above - should retain enough value in the event I have to second-guess my splurge.

And again, credit to Spooky: I also feel safe for a splurge that I'm going to get a quality-built machine with quality support, and no stupid corner cutting or crappy playfields or other nonsense for my hard-earned money.

Plus the timing is never going to be better: my oldest daughter loves the show but will be a Junior in HS when the game is delivered; my younger is just now old enough to be exposed to it and seems to like it so far. So they'll have just enough time to enjoy it while it's fresh. Hence, the splurge. If someone had ever told me I would spend more on a pinball than I have on most of my cars, I would have said they're insane. Well, maybe I am! So I hope I don't come to regret it but right now my confidence is high. Should be an interesting ride!

#17 4 years ago

This is the first time I've ordered a game without playing it first. I was very conflicted on whether to order. When I went to bed Sunday night, I was thinking pass. I figured I'd play on location, at a show, etc. and then make up my mind. Then I'm sitting at my desk at work at 9:00a, staring at Spooky's website. Then I'm seeing on Pinside how fast the game is selling. At around 10:20a, I send my deposit, so I'm sure I'm way back toward the end of the line!

TNA is an amazing game, so I'm banking a lot on the fact that this is Scott's second game, and he's had two years to work on it. The theme is great, and I'm sure the audio and video will make this game really fun to play. Geometry seems to be very important to Scott, so I'm sure it will shoot well.

I guess I got caught up in the fear of missing out on this title, which I guess is silly since all games eventually end up changing hands.

Looking forward to playing this on location and at MGC while I wait patiently.

#18 4 years ago

Spooky Pinball is an American success story. I don't own any Spooky Pinball machines but absolutely love playing them (not sure why RZSS gets all the hate). I feel humbled that I am able to take part in such a monumental occasion for their company (750 pins in 4 hours is incredible). The impact buyers made on the lives of those employed at Spooky by yesterday's wild success is immeasurable. I know we could measure the value of the prospectus but the humanistic impact is real and beyond monetization.

Further, this table is going to be a turning point for their company and their success is a good mark for the industry in general. If millennials like myself haven't fallen in love with the galaxy under the glass yet, this pin will certainly garner new converts to our little cult.

As for my first NIB sight unseen purchase (outside of theme), I can squarely lay the blame on @SpookyCharlie. Any time you can correspond with the CEO of a company and get a well thought out response rather than some canned statement speaks volumes. I have also been thoroughly impressed by Spooky's participation here on Pinside. I hope that as the company grows they do not lose sight of what (and who) makes them.

#19 4 years ago

Three reasons:
1) Been looking to replace my Dialed In which I've gotten bored of
2) Almost bought a TNA and have been wanting a Spooky game
3) Most importantly, my friend of 25 years epthegeek is doing the coding!

#20 4 years ago

It's a Spooky.

Been bouncing around a NIB Stern for 18 months or so... and couldn't make myself pull the trigger.

Didn't hesitate for a second when Spooky announced R&M.

#21 4 years ago

Haven't been this pumped since South Park was was coming out!!!

#22 4 years ago

R&M has so much potential for fun code. Great people working on it. I love my TNA and ACNC. I've nothing but great customer service from Charlie and the gang.

#23 4 years ago

I think the biggest reason for me is just because I really like Spooky and the team working on the game and they finally have a theme that really appeals to me with tons of humor and potential. I really respect Chuck and his family and their work ethic. Scott and Eric are both really great guys that do excellent work and remain humble in the process. Bowen's a great dude too and Im excited to see what he and Eric do for rules. I only live about an hour from Benton and it feels good to put my money with a local business that I respect. Honestly if this was Deep Root releasing this title I wouldn't be a buyer because I don't care for the arrogance of the owner. Spooky is the exact opposite which is why I'm buying a game from them.

#24 4 years ago

Because the roof on my house doesn't leak yet.

#25 4 years ago

I didn’t. Glad to hear they sold the slots. But there is no way I’d buy a game without playing it ever again.

#26 4 years ago

I bought it before I played it because I couldn't play it yet, and once you can play it, you won't easily be able to buy it!

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Haven't been this pumped since South Park was was coming out!!!

Ohh, Sorry. How did that work out?

#28 4 years ago

I have yet to watch a full R&M episode so I got it for a future location I'm trying to open soon. Seems like a popular theme for all ages. I'm hoping it attracts customers.

After playing it though, If I like it enough I may try to snag another for my home when people start selling thier pre-order spots. Spooky has been making some rad games as of late. Also gives me a reason to start watching a new show.

#29 4 years ago

i bought a std, never watched r & m. pin looks cool and if it plays decent like acnc its gonna be ok by me. i can always play it and most i will lose is 1000 in a year. not a big deal. plus i have been standing on the sidelines for spooky pins for a while and i feel they deserve my business.

#30 4 years ago

I voted Scott, as that’s the reason I ordered without playing - TNA is the only game I’ve loved since Metallica....but, all of the above is valid. Loving the show is a factor, as is theme integration. There hasn’t been a licensed pin with excellent theme integration since Hobbit. I refuse to buy games with fake voices, no assets, and canned cut ‘n paste sound packages that belong on slot machines. Rick & Morty checks every box for me, and I feel good about supporting the people involved.

#32 4 years ago

I am an operator, theme is everything, this theme will print money

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ohh, Sorry. How did that work out?

can't vouch for that other guy but for me great! I do wish stern did a newer version based off the south park video games since those 90s machines are starting to really show their age

#33 4 years ago

You guys are going to think I'm crazy but I went with an SLE standard edition. Several reasons.
First off I'm not a huge fan of bold powder coating. The ACNC in the collection has the upgraded blue and I would be fine if it were standard trim. The standard trim has a sharp look to me.

This is my 3rd direct Spooky order and have no problem waiting. All you new Spooky guys are in for a treat. Try to pick up your machine in person if you can for a memorable experience. For best service bring cheese balls. Crossing fingers my bulldog will make trip #3, she will be 14 by the time of pickup.

Lastly, I just brought home ACNC and needed wallet recovery time. The BSE priority was more of a deterrent and it would be way too soon for another $6000 bill. Just ordering the machine was crazy enough for me.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

Also, there is a lot of good will with Charlie. After all, nobody else will take care of Bryan Kelly.

I heard that, asshole!

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i bought a std.

I thought these were available for free, or at least for a little scratch on the wrong side of the tracks...

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I thought these were available for free, or at least for a little scratch on the wrong side of the tracks...

theres alot of rich dudes here. i do very well and bought a std. i drive a 2002 camry cause i dont want a car payment also. maybe i am just cheap happens when you turn 50 and retirement’s a blink away.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

theres alot of rich dudes here. i do very well and bought a std. i drive a 2002 camry cause i dont want a car payment also. maybe i am just cheap happens when you turn 50 and retirement’s a blink away.

Right over your head lol.

#38 4 years ago

I voted Danesi, but it was a combination of Danesi/Spooky/Bowen, in that order.

I liked TNA for it's theme, light show, and sounds/music. I didn't love game play, too repetitive for me. Danesi was behind all of that. I heard an interview of his back in the summer about how he wanted to do more ramps and other cool things in his next game. He said it would be better than TNA and sell faster, and boy was he right. When I heard this interview, I made a pledge that I would buy the next game, sight unseen, no matter what it was.

Spooky is a great company. They've done everything right and don't gouge their customers. I wanted to buy a pin from them. I couldn't get ACNC in time because I had already purchased DI & MBrSE. I hope to acquire it in the future though.

I played ACNC with Bowen at Pintastic. He was such a cool guy and his explanation of the ruleset was awesome. Of course he was the guy who made the rules (I believe). His tutorials are great. His love of the game of pinball is strong, and that love should translate in the work on this game.

Put all three of these things together and I'm in on the next pin, no matter what it was. I had never seen a Rick & Morty episode before, so I binged the entire series so I knew what I was getting into. I just watched Season 4 Episode 5 last night. I love the show. This pin is going to rock!

#39 4 years ago

Danesi-Theme-Spooky-A lot of other little things- led me to put money aside for my first NIB machine before they even showed a thing.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I played ACNC with Bowen at Pintastic. He was such a cool guy and his explanation of the ruleset was awesome. Of course he was the guy who made the rules (I believe). His tutorials are great. His love of the game of pinball is strong, and that love should translate in the work on this game.

I got to play with Bowen in a 4-player game of TNA at MGC last year. It was on Scott's whitewood. He ended up beating the game and scoring like 24 or 25 million points! Very cool moment.

#41 4 years ago

Never played but I have a feeling with Scott design it will shoot well and with Bowen and Eric will have great code. The theme is great already.

#42 4 years ago

Based on previous purchases, (many of which were not played first) - I'm obviously a glutton for punishment.

#43 4 years ago

I didn't buy one.

My belief is this pin has so much right. Spooky. Charlie. Scott. Theme. Humor.

Hard to go wrong with that combo.

LTG : )

#44 4 years ago

I had never even SEEN a Tron before I unboxed my LE, and that seemed to work out okay...

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I had never even SEEN a Tron before I unboxed my LE, and that seemed to work out okay...

Good thing it wasn't a Rob Zombie instead...

#46 4 years ago

Danesi/Bowen/Spooky/et al

Limited 750

Szechuan sauce

No-brainer really

#47 4 years ago

HUGE Fan of the show from day 1
Tired of super hero pins
Even more Tired of Music pins
Believe it or not also tired of TV show pins bc I don't watch tv shows....except Rick and Morty

The show is brilliantly written. This is where Rick and Morty excels.
Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon are amazing writers.

Now for Spooky: The only game I would think of owning from them is TNA.
Sound package, light show, rules...game looks like it rocks and looks like a bunch of fun to play and to me this is what pinball is all about.
All of Spooky's other games they have done, I have ZERO interest so when they announced Rick and Morty, I was in on this.
Not to bash Stern, because without them there would probably be no pinball left today.
But with constant crap code (this is the biggie for me) and crap PF's why not give Spooky a shot.
I like mom and pop companies and I like how a few of them were on the Forums with info for us being a part of the community.
Build quality cant be any worse than the others and this is for my family and friends to use in a home so im not worried about this.

Only 750 made so wanted to get one b4 the sell out which we all know was <4h.
I'm not going to be the guy wanting, waiting for someone to sell bc IMO that is not going to be a fun market to be in.
Maybe save 1k (I could care less) or overpay 4k (this would bother me a bit but would probably still do it if I missed out)
Wasn't blown away by the video, but I don't care its Rick and fucking Morty with legit callouts im in.
BS Cab art/armor looks awesome
Wife asked me last night if I would sellout for 10k and my reply was "Fuck no its Rick and Morty pinball"

#48 4 years ago

I wanted to get a Spooky game since AMH. Place locally I liked to play had one on order, I was pretty excited to see it. But the place went under, never got to see the game. I'd heard that TNA was pretty good. My SO and I both like Rick and Morty, so when I told her a pin was coming out she said we should look at it. We liked enough of what we saw on youtube to go ahead and roll the dice. I told her we couldn't sleep on it, that I suspected they'd sell out pretty quick. So we have a BSE on order. Figured worst case scenario, if the game is just horrible, we'd sell it or trade it for something else. But it would have to be a really bad game for us to want to get rid of it.

So cheese balls is the magic, huh. I was actually wondering if I could go pick it up. Benton is only about 6 hours from where I am. Fun road trip.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

Not to bash Stern, because without them there would probably be no pinball left today.

This reminds me, a coworker came up to me today and said, "You're into pinball. Have you ever heard of Stern?"

Apparently he liked pinball in the Bally/Williams era and wasn't aware of Stern's presence. Sounds like he's interested in Star Wars as a first pin.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

Apparently he liked pinball in the Bally/Williams era and wasn't aware of Stern's presence. Sounds like he's interested in Star Wars as a first pin.

A lot of people I know are not aware that new machines are still being made.

SW is a great machine but it’s somewhat brutal which I like but could be frustrating for a first pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 300.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 13,500.00
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Trade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-did-you-buy-rick-amp-morty-before-playing?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.