You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Worn indy.jpg
worn afm.jpg
MM repair 035.jpg
AFM before 0106.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Since I've owned both, I have a pretty strong opinion on this…
IM is a very difficult game with a very cool rule set…AP is a fairly easy game with a pretty lame rule set. The only similarity I see between IM & AP is the ramps…probably a cost cutting measure.

Dr. Evil & Iron Monger?

Granted, Iron Monger is designed better....but clearly Borg pulled out his Austin Powers design and augmented it into Iron Man. Toilet shot became a kickback. Scoop became a magnet & target area. Time Machine went bye-bye and now feeds to the pops. Magnet divertor & laser beam shot went bye-bye. NBA Jam's design was dusted off and augmented into NBA. Borg was the only designer at the time and had a short schedule & low budget. He had to do what he had to do...good thing that IM & NBA turned out to be way more fun than the games they were based on!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've been in the hobby for 10 years now, and from my perspective these pins are built like tanks for home use purposes. Considering they are entirely handmade and were engineered to be in public places, they will last a very long time if maintained properly. This doesn't imply they don't need love & care, but that a function of the technology and vast number of parts they use, not because the parts are "cheap" per se.
My LOTR will be 10 years old this year and it's given me flawless service. Stern has certainly cut some corners over the past decade, but most issues are easy to diagnose and fix (and I've owned many).
My 2$.

Yeah, I've never had any massive problems with Sterns, even old routed ones. Sure, the routed ones look and play like crap - but you can get them back into HUO condition and playability. No different than B/W in that regard. I had a routed MB and a routed Elvis that looked like they came out of the tar pits and played horribly. After a bit of work, repair and parts, both look and play great.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

There is a reason Tim and PHOF said no more sterns after he blew threw an acdc premium in 6 months, PF worn to wood. Massive difference in Stern quality PF's.

Sounds like it was getting tons of play...with old/bad balls perhaps?

My routed Elvis had 40,000 plays on it. Not one shred of wear on the playfield. Granted, the dirt probably protected it.

I've seen more B/W Diamondplate games with wear than Sterns.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Skypilot's AFM:

worn afm.jpg 382 KB

STEEEEEERRRN!!!! ...oh wait.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Palm Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Valley, NEBRASKA
$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cloverdale, CA
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-did-stern-make-austin-powers-so-cheaply?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.