(Topic ID: 226379)

Why Did Pinball Die In The 1990s?

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    databank_jarjarbinks_01_169_c70767ab (resized).jpeg
    601a6878c1904dd25b5f77f2818c4a02--arcade-games-pinball-games (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    13686 (resized).jpeg
    7DF6E4E2-141F-49FE-B0B0-92F32E42E7BF (resized).png
    the_beatles_abbey_road_iii (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

P2K didn't help. Players I knew including myself thought they were a novelty at best even though they got decent coin drop, and a few of the last real games being released like Cactus Canyon were lackluster at best, with bare bones code and bugs that were not being addressed or updated so players were not wasting money on them and sticking with older games that they knew worked.

I find myself in the startling position of being in disagreement with you on this one, which may be a first for me. We operate an arcade in our soft serve ice cream restaurant which is very busy during the summer season. We typically have run around 10 or so pins at a time and I can tell you there has never been a title in that room that has made more than the 2 PB2K machines. And honestly the worst thought of title (STE1) out earns everything else. And we have had some A list stuff pass through, games that are worth triple on the collector market and they still don't compare to the coin drop on STE1.

Personally I think if WMS had stuck around to make more titles it could have been a game-changer for pinball. We will never know now.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

As I recall. A game like MM about $3600, P2K about $4200. Plus $2400 for kit to make it a SWE1. $6600 in a dying industry.
    LTG : )

I agree with all the comments. But as has been said before, PB2K will forever be judged on the only 2 games that made it to production. All the cool features (particularly the game/cabinet swapping) might have taken off in an environment where the production lasted longer than 18 months. As I remember WMS had no problems selling either title, folks were initially receptive even with the price increase.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-did-pinball-die-in-the-1990s?tu=viper001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.