(Topic ID: 226379)

Why Did Pinball Die In The 1990s?

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    databank_jarjarbinks_01_169_c70767ab (resized).jpeg
    601a6878c1904dd25b5f77f2818c4a02--arcade-games-pinball-games (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    13686 (resized).jpeg
    7DF6E4E2-141F-49FE-B0B0-92F32E42E7BF (resized).png
    the_beatles_abbey_road_iii (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago

Pinball as an arcade attraction hasn’t actually bounced back much, at least compared to the early 90s. The biggest driver for the comeback now is home sales.

As previously stated, home consoles blew up in the early 90s and sucked away most of the casual arcade goers.

#8 5 years ago

Also WMS’s business model of forcing dealers to buy a load of games then put them on close out pricing when they didn’t sell made pinball even less appealing to dealers, as ops would just wait for the close out price. Plus their manufacturing method of one game on the line and no going back to a hit really screwed them.

#122 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Not could its just a matter of time, I just don't see the kids of today buying or even going out to play pinball.

Almost every single pinhead I know did not grow up playing pinball - that includes guys like me in our 40s. We all came to it later.

There’s a few old cuckers but it’s mostly people in their late 20s, early 30s at league now. None of them ever played location pinball.

Ops stopped operating pins because video was easier, people stopped playing pins because there were less of them, plus vids were more compelling at the time. Feedback loop, pinball dies out for 20 years.

#152 5 years ago

All I played when I was a kid was Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Robotron and Tempest. Pinball had ZERO impact on me at all. The fact that I have pinball license plates now says a lot about pinball as an adult hobby, which I got into in my late 20s. So it'll probably be a functional hobby for a long time.

So anyway, on topic, it was a cascade of things that killed pinball in the 90s - video games, increased pricing, lower profit for ops, etc.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-did-pinball-die-in-the-1990s?tu=jwilson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.