(Topic ID: 226379)

Why Did Pinball Die In The 1990s?

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    databank_jarjarbinks_01_169_c70767ab (resized).jpeg
    601a6878c1904dd25b5f77f2818c4a02--arcade-games-pinball-games (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    13686 (resized).jpeg
    7DF6E4E2-141F-49FE-B0B0-92F32E42E7BF (resized).png
    the_beatles_abbey_road_iii (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 5 years ago

Back in the days in France, pinball were a standard part of a Café, usually a couple and a foosball table. I don't remember arcade rooms being full of pinballs, especially when Sega started coming up with some dedicated cabinets that were making money and taking tons of space. This came very true when Daytona USA came out, 4 SD machines lined up everywhere, and coins being dropped in all day long.

At the same time cafes became more like restaurant and less of places to drink, so table space became much more valuable which put the last nail in the Pinball's coffin.

Truth is at 1$ a game for an 8k machine, I still don't think pinball is a very good business, but is surely is tons of fun !

#97 5 years ago
    Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

#3. Operators started turning down the sound on the cool games. This still peeves me to no end. If I can't hear it I don't play it
    Taking away most of the sensory experience from playing really made me pause before dropping money.
    I think not being able to become immersed in games sounds is the #1 thing killing pinball. There has to be a solution to this

Spot on ! I played JJPPOTC last week at a location, the sound could barely be heard, and it really killed a lot of my excitment, after watching a bunch of live videos.

#115 5 years ago
    Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

The sound at FREE GOLD WATCH shouldn’t be low on POTC. I just turned it up. Done by the silkscreen crew during the day. Feel free to nail that bell and ask them to crank it next time. Apologies!

Oh thanks ! I was so happy to play POTC and already so wowed by how many pinballs you have there, not mentioning their great condition that I didn't want to sound like a spoiled brat !

#132 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No wonder this hobby and industry are going to hell in a hand basket.
    When I was growing up, pinball arcades are where all the cool kids and hot chicks hung out.
    [quoted image]

Playing pinball with gloves, now that's fancy !

#145 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think that's a bandage you fuckin' perverts. She's like 14 also.

Hard to tell if it's a bandage, and hard to tell if she is 14.

Google found the picture, it's the cover for a song Little Debbie. The band is Surgery, so it could be a bandage (but that doesn't tell us anything about her age !)

#172 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Indeed this kid has everything, spoiled & coddled. Sit them in front of their favorite DVD and go on about your business. Sad

Sitting in front of Dvd is a 20th century thing. Now you seat them in front if Netflix and you don’t even need to drop your pinball play to change dvds !

#197 5 years ago
    Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

The sound at FREE GOLD WATCH shouldn’t be low on POTC. I just turned it up. Done by the silkscreen crew during the day. Feel free to nail that bell and ask them to crank it next time. Apologies!

I just came out of Free gold watch and played a bunch of game on JJPOTC and Yes the sound was way better !

Thanks

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adol75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-did-pinball-die-in-the-1990s?tu=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.