(Topic ID: 226379)

Why Did Pinball Die In The 1990s?

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (resized).jpg
    databank_jarjarbinks_01_169_c70767ab (resized).jpeg
    601a6878c1904dd25b5f77f2818c4a02--arcade-games-pinball-games (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    13686 (resized).jpeg
    7DF6E4E2-141F-49FE-B0B0-92F32E42E7BF (resized).png
    the_beatles_abbey_road_iii (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LTG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 5 years ago

Don't forget the economics going on.

First 50¢ a game pin 1981 Black Knight. 1991 the price per play should have gone up to 75¢ a game to have the same buying power. According to the US Government cost of living indexes. The price per play didn't go up.

Ops were losing ground, and I think many like me didn't know why. Rent goes up, utilities goes up, food goes up, but we were taking in good numbers, not realizing the money coming in was buying less. We were losing ground.

Ops start buying less. Distributors start ordering less. Manufacturers start building less. By 1995 we were on the roller coaster to hell. And all the kings horses and all the kings men, could never make pinball what it once was ever again.

Pinball exists today at 10% give or take of it's former glory. The only thing really improved today is because of the collectors/hobby. There are way more parts available today than in the mid 1990's when things were rolling.

LTG : )

#104 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not sure what the P2K game cost new, but they had to cost more to make than the regular games.

As I recall. A game like MM about $3600, P2K about $4200. Plus $2400 for kit to make it a SWE1. $6600 in a dying industry.

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How much did South Park cost? That thing, even today I hear, is and was a quarter eater.

I never bought one when new. Still a good earner today.

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

This is leading to big problems as this generation of kids grow up.

Going on now.

Look how many people asking for help here and get it and respond with "I don't know how".

Basic stuff. Solder, use a meter, check continuity. And with so many resources to learn, even short videos on Youtube.

When I didn't know something, I sat down and figured it out. I didn't ask for help. Didn't even think of asking.

#159 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I picture the guys Lloyd is referring to as middle aged nerds that grew up playing video games instead of learning to fix things by working on their hot rods or motorcycles.

I don't know if it's tied to any particular group. I've more noticed in the last ten years or so a growing number of people who can't do many of the basics needed for electronic repairs.

Daily I run into "I don't know how", "I've never done that", "How do I do that ?". Guess what. There was a time I didn't know either.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LTG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-did-pinball-die-in-the-1990s?tu=LTG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.