(Topic ID: 45206)

Why did I waste so much time w/ Warcraft?

By VolunteerPin

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wickedbass
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Historically, I've been a computer game kinda guy. Over the years I've been off and on playing Warcraft. I always end up quitting for a while due to the crazy time commitment needed to really advance your character. I quit for good over a year ago because it worse more "work" than "play".

Then, a little over a month ago I started with this pinball hobby! Oh my gosh, what pure, unadulterated fun! Sure, I've spent a small fortune starting my collection, but now I play daily and very frequently play with at least one of my 3 kids. It is great being able to hop on and play a few games without the maintenance aspect of a lot of computer games.

Anyhow, I have found, at last, a long-term hobby which I hope will serve me well for many years to come!

I got a NIB Tron and my LOTR within a few days of each other and I'm waiting on MM to be delivered.

So, I just wanted to share my excitement and also thank those of you who have been helpful already.

Darin

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

without the maintenance aspect of a lot of computer games.

Great to hear you are loving the hobby, but don't jinx yourself with this statement. Pins aren't known for reliability!

#3 6 years ago

Man glad you took the red pill. What have you got to show for all that time and effort in WOW doesn't really exist now does it, and your like...where the F*ck have I been all this time.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Great to hear you are loving the hobby, but don't jinx yourself with this statement. Pins aren't known for reliability!

Yeah, I've already done a couple of minor things but I have not found that troublesome...actually kind of enjoyed it.

#5 6 years ago

I pulled myself away from a 7-8 year World of Warcraft addiction myself. So glad I did. Now if I could get most of my 30's back then I would be a happy man.

#6 6 years ago

Yeah, WoW sucks you in but when you level out your character you either need to make another or spend untold hours raiding. As a dad of 3 with a busy life, I just found myself frustrated more than having fun. Pinball has been the perfect addition to my leisure time. Now I want to get a shaker(s) so I can have my tactile sensations stimulated just like my visual and auditory.

It is SO nice to be able to kill a quick 15-30 minutes with a few games...sometimes hard to stop though, as I get a lot of the "one more game" moments.

Darin

#7 6 years ago

yeah i remember when i first play warcraft i played for 3 weeks straight and rarely slept!

#8 6 years ago

<--- 2 90's and 2 86's and 2 85's on Ally side, on Eldre'Thalas, and 3 86's on hoard side on Bloodhoof... Tell me about it.

#9 6 years ago

I played WOW hardcore for almost 3 years(6 hr raids 3-4 days a week). Can't stomach it or any other MMO's anymore. Had a lot of fun but played way to much, pinball has replaced most everything hobby wise.

I was on Deathwing/Horde playing a hunter and than a tank.

#10 6 years ago

I was the guildmaster of a decent sized guild on Mannoroth (BloodCult of Oktopos, character name Pizzapants) for about 6 or 7 years. It was tons of fun, but for me it had simply run its course. Good times, but now with two kids there's jus t no way I could keep it up even if I wanted to

#11 6 years ago

I stopped before Mists came out. I would try to start a raid after my family went to bed and would oftentimes be up till after 1am-2am. I'd be exhausted at work and generally had a pretty piss poor attitude about a lot of things. For me, it was too all-consuming. Ever since I quit, I've tried a variety of different games and genres but nothing has really stuck or was what I would consider a lot of fun. Pinball ownership has changed that.

The main problem now is I spend too much time on pinside looking for my next pin. Also have found Pinball Arcade app which I've fun with when I'm not at home (like right now on vacation). I'm looking forward to when Farsight adds either a Windows 8 app or Steam picks it up so I can play with a larger screen on my laptop with (hopefully) less flipper lag.

#12 6 years ago

yeah i have bought pinball arcade on my xbox both the downloadable version and the physical disk. also have their first game pin ball hall of fame Gottlib for orginal xbox. yeah i have it on my phone also but my phone has a hdmi port and I have the cable and well you know hook it up to the 40inch and it looks like crap actually. have all the zen tables on the xbox and a few on the phone. I own fireball home edition and a DR dude. just bought Wiliams Contact and Stern Pinball. its a pinball life. new COD maps bought them played them once went back to pinball and pinside. All i do is browse for sale pinball machines also. Always looking for parts for the dr dude table. I do want super shiny balls for both my machines. ummmmm....... I think that is all.

#13 6 years ago

I was a 7 year player of Final Fantasy XI and met many great people who will be lifelong friends but holy hell I wasted a lot of time playing that game before retiring 4 years ago! I'm glad I quit and don't have any plans to start another MMORPG ever again.

#14 6 years ago

I started WoW way back in the vanilla days, played it religiously until about halfway through Cataclysm. My favorite was BC, had a blast in those days, was in a great guild with little to no drama (a rarity it seems in these days lol). It just got to the point where it was all about gear and gearscore (at least on my server, Alleria). Between that and many friends drifting out of WoW it was just no longer fun.

Since then I've tried Rift, didn't like it, SWTOR (as a huge Star Wars fan I felt very let down by that one) and GW2 but nothing seems to catch my interest anymore.

Pinball, on the other hand....

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from 72Devilz:

I was a 7 year player of Final Fantasy XI and met many great people who will be lifelong friends but holy hell I wasted a lot of time playing that game! I'm glad I quit and don't have any plans to start another MMORPG ever again.

I was a huge Final Fantasy fan. I've still got my original carts for NES and SNES. Only reason I'd buy a new Playstation is for a new Final Fantasy to come out. I shied away from XI just because of knowing a few people who got way too sucked in to MMORPG, but RPG's have always and will always be my favorite video games. Can't beat most of the Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest, etc. etc.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

I was a huge Final Fantasy fan. I've still got my original carts for NES and SNES. Only reason I'd buy a new Playstation is for a new Final Fantasy to come out. I shied away from XI just because of knowing a few people who got way too sucked in to MMORPG, but RPG's have always and will always be my favorite video games. Can't beat most of the Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Dragon Quest, etc. etc.

Yeah XI was fun but a huge time suck. These days I can't sit and play a Xbox or PS3 game for more than an hour without feeling guilty that I am just wasting valuable time. At least with pinball I can play for an hour and easily spend another hour making adjustments or attending to maintinence. When I was a teen I would spend endless hours playing Questron and Dave's Midnight Magic (pinball) on my old Apple //+, those were the days!

#17 6 years ago

I am completely shocked that they didn't come out with a WoW pinball machine in 2005-2008 when the game was at it's peak. Can you imagine a Horde LE, Alliance LE and a Horde/Alliance LE like the Transformers pin? Who am I kidding I would most likely end up buying the damn thing.

#18 6 years ago

Youll get alot better resale with your pinball hobby than WOW. Never played WOW, I avoid video games for the reasons you stated.

#19 6 years ago

Started playing on day 1. First on my server to have a 60 of every class (played Ally). My main was a Pally raiding every day and my guild had many many servers firsts including MC clear, BWL clear, AQ20 and AQ40 clears, Naxx clear... we were far and away the big guild on a small server and that made for a laundry list of accomplishments for us. I slowed down and finally quit during BC.

After a couple year hiatus I went back and played some more, it was just plain stupid how easy they made the game, they eliminated the need for hard content that took time and teamwork and just changed it to everyone can get everything with no effort whatsoever. I hated the lack of challenge the newer version of the game had so I quit again relatively quick. It took months for the first player to get to 60, now a player can go from 0 to max in a couple of days. First MC clears took 6 months, now the biggest dungeons are down less than a week after coming out, it's just dumb. I do not regret my time it was entertaining, no worse than people who watch TV or movies or other couch potato stuff.

#20 6 years ago

PC games?

WTF is this 1997?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I was the guildmaster of a decent sized guild on Mannoroth (BloodCult of Oktopos, character name Pizzapants) for about 6 or 7 years.

That's nothing. I rule the whole damb universe! Been reelected 7 or 8 times too.
    d

This thread proves that pinball is indeed for everyone. We should all constantly be on a recruiting mission. Day and night. That is all.

#22 6 years ago

This thread reads like a foreign language to me.....

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

PC games?
    WTF is this 1997?

Enjoy your load times.

#24 6 years ago

4 85's I'm full t7. Guild and raid leader. Stopped playing before mists thank god.

#25 6 years ago

I'm so glad I don't play that anymore. All those games were time sucks. Pinball on the other hand is much more rewarding. I've met better people through pinball too.

#26 6 years ago

I was gonna write a big reply, but instead think it's best to pretend that WoW never happened, and that all that time invested in the game was actually spent doing something more substantial like chronically masturbating.

#27 6 years ago

...and I thought pinball fans were nerds...

#28 6 years ago

I played quite a bit of warcrack myself. I mainly just did BGs and world pvp so I wasn't restricted on my hours. But it still sucked me in pretty hard. Haven't touched it or thought about it in almost 2 years and haven't looked back. My brain, mind, and soul feel revitalized and I feel like a much better person IRL since I haven't played. I don't own home console games, hardly touch my computer, i play one ipad game (ascension), and all I need now are my pins!

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Historically, I've been a computer game kinda guy. Over the years I've been off and on playing Warcraft. I always end up quitting for a while due to the crazy time commitment needed to really advance your character. I quit for good over a year ago because it worse more "work" than "play".
    Then, a little over a month ago I started with this pinball hobby! Oh my gosh, what pure, unadulterated fun! Sure, I've spent a small fortune starting my collection, but now I play daily and very frequently play with at least one of my 3 kids. It is great being able to hop on and play a few games without the maintenance aspect of a lot of computer games.
    Anyhow, I have found, at last, a long-term hobby which I hope will serve me well for many years to come!
    I got a NIB Tron and my LOTR within a few days of each other and I'm waiting on MM to be delivered.
    So, I just wanted to share my excitement and also thank those of you who have been helpful already.
    Darin

Yeah, I've been into coin-op/video games since I was 10 years old. The game that got me hooked was Spy Hunter, ironically, by George Gomez! I also spent a year and a half with Everquest, so I totally know what you mean about the time-sink of MMORPGs and the diminishing returns.

I really love both pinball and video games (my Steam account is pretty well-stocked with games) but there is something very different in the gameplay of pinball that attracts me. And adding to that, it's very community-driven, *hungry* and sort of underground.

#30 6 years ago

I had over 10 days total of online play on Call of duty Modern Warfare 2

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from 7Warpig7:

Started playing on day 1. First on my server to have a 60 of every class (played Ally). My main was a Pally raiding every day and my guild had many many servers firsts including MC clear, BWL clear, AQ20 and AQ40 clears, Naxx clear... we were far and away the big guild on a small server and that made for a laundry list of accomplishments for us. I slowed down and finally quit during BC.
    After a couple year hiatus I went back and played some more, it was just plain stupid how easy they made the game, how they eliminated the need for hard content that took time and teamwork and just changed it to everyone can get everything with no effort whatsoever. I hated the lack of challenge the newer version of the game had so I quit again relatively quick. I mean it took months for the first player to get to 60, now a player can go from 0 to max in a couple of days. First MC clears took 6 months, now the biggest dungeons are down less than a week after coming out, it's just dumb. I do not regret my time, it was entertaining, no worse than people who watch TV or movies or other stupid stuff.

I have no idea what any of this means.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

That's a blip on the radar compared to how much time I have into SWTOR. I shudder to think how much time I have in that game across all of my characters. Although, it provides entertainment so I don't consider it a waste of time. I'm sure there are many people out there that would consider pinball to be a waste of time too.

One man's hobby is another man's time waster.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

In my 7 years on FFXI I had 276 days of total online gameplay........ Thats sickening and the motivating factor for quiting!

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

That's a blip on the radar

Quoted from 72Devilz:

In my 7 years on FFXI I had 276 days

Excellent, I feel better now knowing you guys are geekier

#35 6 years ago

I played alot back in vanilla and bc never raided hardcore but used to speed level alts. Haven't played much since cataclysm but in bc I had 7 70s. Haven't even bought the new xpac. They totally ruined it with wrath and bc by making epics pointless and nerfing anything hard. People used to crowd to see full tier toons and sets were recognisable. I miss multi day av battles too

#36 6 years ago

So played during the old tarren mill vs SS days?

#37 6 years ago

Uggg 40 man MC days...

Before that was about 6-7years in EQ starting pre-Kunark.

#38 6 years ago

I refused to play WOW online due to the fact that I use to play RPG games for many hours as a child. It was a recipe to lose real life and do nothing productive. Never played a single moment of it and never going to.

#39 6 years ago

I limited myself to one main character and a storage alt as I that was enough of a time drainer. Mainly stopped playing WOW because pinball repair was eating up too much time. lol

#40 6 years ago

One good thing came from online pc gaming for me. I learned everything, inside and out, about a computer, windows, software, networking... everything that I use everyday in my workplace environment. So it wasn't all a waste

#41 6 years ago

(raises hand)
    Thank god I quit that f***ing time-suck of a game.
    You have to invest 9 hours of drudgery for enable 1 hour of fun. A horribly mean and sick paradigm.
    Pinball is a MUCH better hobby in every way.
    MOF

#42 6 years ago

In the first 3 years of WoW on my full T6 lvl 70 Warlock I had 360+ played days. That folks is called having no life during that time. An actual full year of my life was spent online in that game in some form or fashion from 2004-2007.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I was gonna write a big reply, but instead think it's best to pretend that WoW never happened, and that all that time invested in the game was actually spent doing something more substantial like chronically masturbating.

YIKES!

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Uggg 40 man MC days...
    Before that was about 6-7years in EQ starting pre-Kunark.

I miss the old pre bc 60 man MC,onyxia days. BRD was always my favorite.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 37.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 28.00
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.00
    Boards
    Tilted Pinball
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 19.95
    Apparel - Women
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 18.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 149.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside