Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Gunnut40
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I wish 4K was a thing back in 2003. Because I wished that Old cameras And phones would record videos in 4K. And Some old YouTube Videos. That Are 240p. A VIDEO THAT IS 240p IN 2020! All VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE IN 2020 SHOULD BE 4K. Even ones from like 12-13 years ago. It just bugs me that a old video is 240P in 2020.. Like Seriously. It should be 4K

#2 4 years ago

This guy has got to be a work. I ain’t buying it!

#3 4 years ago

"Why couldn't 16k holograms be a thing 12-13 years ago..?" ~ kid from 2033

#4 4 years ago

You can't really upscale a digital video that was originally recorded at a lower resolution. (However, some films recorded on analog film stock had a much greater resolution than what could be reproduced on home media at the time, which is how some TV shows and movies can be remastered and released in modern day HD or 4k formats. They simply go back to the original film stock and digitize it using modern technology)

Back in the early days of youtube, the technology was much different. Affordable video technology was barely beyond VHS, and was just starting to enter the miniDV era with SD resolution. Most people had flip phones *without* even a still photo camera.

Technology has leaped forward quite a bit in the past 15-20 years.

Back around 2004, Sony released the *first* consumer HD camera, which was almost $4,000 at the time. That would be about $5,200 in 2020 dollars.

Today, you can get a cheap tablet or smart phone for under $200 with at least one built-in HD camera. Frankly, that's amazing.

#5 4 years ago

Tell me aboot it, all that low quality homemade pr0n I made is an eyesore these days. I guess the memories get me thru it though.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Arcadefan:

Why can't every single video be 4K? I don't know why. But I really want every single YouTube video like I mean every single one. Every video From when YouTube started. To now Like videos that are a decade old. Are 360p or 480p. WHY CANT THEY BE 4K. It really ruins it when you try to watch a 10 year old video on a 4K TV. Because it's a 4K tv. Why wouldn't be 4K.

Here we go again. OP has posted several similar threads in the past. The above quote is from one of his prior threads.

#7 4 years ago

Well, people weren't streaming video much then. How many people wished they could watch a Youtube video more than a few years old anyway? Seeing the poor video quality of old home videos adds nostalgia. However, I'm grateful now that 4K is the norm.

#8 4 years ago

I do have some concerns over the future of movies, particular those shot on film. From what I understand, 35mm film is roughly the equivalent of native 2k video, which is blu-ray quality. If 8k televisions are already being pushed to market, how will movies keep up in the long run? Even the modest selection of older films on 4k DVD seem to have a doctored look to them, and the industry is already moving on.

#9 4 years ago

Because in 2003 most computers couldn't handle processing videos in 4k. Heck, even today many YouTubers still post in 1080 in order to help make file sizes more manageable. Since most YT is watched over a phone or tablet 4k is not necessary. Using a 2002/2003 computer the entire processor would be consumed for days trying to render a 4k video. Honestly, it couldn't even start since no computer had enough RAM to feed the processor the 4k content for rendering.

I can't even imagine trying to upload a 4k video back in 2003.... potentially over a dial-up connection. A 10-minute video in 1080 is usually around 2 gigs - so even that was unimaginable with upload speeds in the 100k/sec range (and dial-up was uploading at around 12k/sec)

next.... the computer. I bought a Gateway laptop in 1999 for $3000 - it had a 4 gig hard drive. Sooooo that entire hard drive couldn't store a single 5-minute video in 4k.

Finally... you have your media cards... back in 2003 a 64 Meg card was expensive. i don't remember exactly the cost but it cost more than a 128G card costs today (depending on speed). So that card could only hold a few seconds of 4k content... and ... this is big... most 4K cameras require writes speeds of around 60meg/sec (at the absolute MINUMUM - higher-end cameras need 150 meg/sec). So the card would need to have the ability to write nearly 100% of its capacity in less than 1 second.... and then it would be full.

soo... those are a few reasons why

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Arcadefan:

I wish 4K was a thing back in 2003. Because I wished that Old cameras And phones would record videos in 4K. And Some old YouTube Videos. That Are 240p. A VIDEO THAT IS 240p IN 2020! All VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE IN 2020 SHOULD BE 4K. Even ones from like 12-13 years ago. It just bugs me that a old video is 240P in 2020.. Like Seriously. It should be 4K

Maybe Doc Brown can help....

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-couldnt-4k-be-a-thing-15-years-ago?hl=gs2019 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.